Why booze and bullets DON"T mix!

PDA

denfoote
April 28, 2007, 01:29 AM
Or in this case, shotgun pellets!! :what:

These boys are going to have a LOOOOONG time to dry out!!

http://www.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=464355

Two men suspected of wounding five people in a shooting were likely acting while extremely intoxicated, Tempe police said Friday.

From the pic posted at the link, these two do not look like the brightest bulbs in the bank!! :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Why booze and bullets DON"T mix!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cold dead hands
April 28, 2007, 01:54 AM
Your title (before reading the post) placed the picture of some rounds rolling around in a highball glass while drowned in whiskey in my mind.

Then I thought about how soaking the primer just ruins good rounds and that the booze might get a funky taste from the chemical reaction of two types of metal being in the liquid at the same time.

You may now have your thread back....

Tharg
April 28, 2007, 03:27 AM
Personally - stupid is as stupid does, alcohol just intensifies the effect.

I know people i'd trust stone cold drunk w/ a loaded weapon, and i know a lot more sober people that should never hold a gun :P

J/Tharg!

joebogey
April 28, 2007, 07:39 AM
After seeing the picture, I'm surprised they managed to get the right end of the gun out the window.
I bet we hear more about them ol boys as time goes on. And none of it good.:(

p2000sk
April 28, 2007, 07:48 AM
They'll be making some "new freinds" soon!
"hey I know what'd be cool..." ***

vtoddball
April 28, 2007, 08:23 AM
How about we turn it into a story about how two people of different colors can cooperate and help each other out? In today's trying times it's refreshing to see a white and black working side by side, shooting people indiscriminately. We've finally evolved into a society where people are shot not because of the color of their skin, but for the content of their wallets.

;)

Notch
April 28, 2007, 10:07 AM
They are both damn lucky someone didnt shoot back..... Frikin kids...

ripcurlksm
April 28, 2007, 12:59 PM
Choose two only:

-Guns
-Alcohol
-Bullets

JerryM
April 28, 2007, 03:25 PM
I've never known a person I would trust when he was stone drunk. I trust no one to drink and carry/shoot or drink and drive.

Regards,
Jerry

ctdonath
April 28, 2007, 10:21 PM
Do you trust someone to drink and have keys for a car in the parking lot?

No different from drinking and carrying. The issue with both is alcohol + USE, not mere possession.

imprezagm4
April 28, 2007, 10:23 PM
Birdshot?

Happyshooter
April 28, 2007, 10:31 PM
I recall back in my days, long ago, in the Marine Corps when I and my buddies would go to the local pistol range and blast away our paychecks, my shooting being more expensive because I used a 1911 mostly, where they used the more affordable Sig 226 ammo.

Things got so bad ammo wise I bought a smith 422 and shot it until it broke. We shot that thing until you couldn't set it on anything except wood or it would melt it.

The bonus fun was fri, sat, and sun nights downing (lots of) bud 40s and cleaning the pistols.

Nowadays I do most of my drinking at my businessman's club and miss the drunken cleaning. Youth, thy name was fun (even if I cringe at what I used to drink)

.cheese.
April 28, 2007, 11:18 PM
JerryM - you can trust me if I'm drunk.

When I drink, I get calm, quiet.... and eventually if I drink more I just fall asleep.

so getting drunk for me is sedation.... not party time like it is with what seems like most everybody else.

If I have a couple beers... instead of streaking and running around... I take a nap.

guess that's why I don't care all that much that I can't drink anymore due to an unrelated pancreas issue.

Davo
April 29, 2007, 12:45 AM
We've finally evolved into a society where people are shot not because of the color of their skin, but for the content of their wallets.

Hoi Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Tharg
April 29, 2007, 03:31 AM
The point was there are some people you can trust no matter what, drinking, while it does dilute... distort... etc the BASIC part of man is still there

Many routines we go through we do just fine even in a intoxicated state, i'm not saying we are MORE safe in doing so intoxicated... obviously that is not the case, that being said, someone who is safe "normal" is much more likely to be safe when he/she ain't.

So in that sense i've been around people, i've known people, and seen people in many states of being, and they are not equal no more than they are when everyone is sober. :)

if yer an angry/stupid butt person before you drink... then personally i'd rather you not have a gun sober OR drunk :P

heheh

J/Tharg!

Bobo
April 29, 2007, 01:09 PM
Just goes to show that ...

Mind-Altering Substances and Power Tools don't mix!

JerryM
April 29, 2007, 03:26 PM
Hi TheEconomist,

I would trust you as long as you did not have a gun, not driving, and not selecting stocks for me to buy, although the latter might be as good as I do.:D

Seriously, everyone who is drinking alcohol has some reduced abilities, both mental and physical. Carrying a gun or driving require one's best in all areas. Accordingly, I only trust those who are not impaired by the drink.

It is good that you don't drink "fighting whiskey." On my father's side essentially all who did drink became alcoholics, and did drink fighting whiskey.:barf:
I did not see any reason I would be different so I never did drink, except VERY lightly at some function. I have not even considered it for almost 30 years. (I guess that reveals something about my age.) I never needed it to have fun or relax. I do not intend to ever drink another drop under any circumstances.

I also have noted that the person least able to determine his degree of impairment is the person drinking.

Regards,
Jerry

Cosmoline
April 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
Hogwash. You people decided, because of a reference to intoxication, to blame the bottle. Why were they capping off rounds at people to begin with? Booze probably threw off their aim enough to save some lives. No alcohol makes a person shoot someone, just as no firearm makes a person shoot someone. The blame rests with the individual, not the firearm and not the booze. Drunk or sober, tired or awake, sick or healthy, you remain 100% responsible for your actions. If you can't trust yourself enough to even be in the same room as a firearm when you're drinking a beer, that's fine. If you have a tendency to wake up suddenly and grab things with a squeezing motion, you probably want to keep the revolver away from the bed. But not everyone has these problems. And there's no indication from the article that alcohol had anything to do with those guys trying to kill people.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why booze and bullets DON"T mix!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!