Quick comparison

PDA

Euclidean
April 28, 2007, 11:24 AM
I'm trying to gather information, in addition to my own, for prospective revolver purchaser who is looking at two models at a store. The seller, whom I know well, can be talked down to $300 for either one so the price is the same.

Candidate #1 is a Ruger SP101, 2" barrel, .357 Magnum, traditional hammer. I have personal experience with the SP101 in the 3" model and I'm leaning towards this option somewhat. My only qualm with it is that it takes some doing to acclimate to that trigger. My GP100 is one of my favorite guns, but it took some work to get used to it and to get it to smooth up.

Candidate #2 is a Taurus, I am not familiar with their model numbers but I believe in their nomenclature it woud be a Model 66SS2 or similar. It's basically like a clone of a K frame with a 2"-2.5" barrel. It seems to be in fine shape and passed the revolver checkout procedure. It does have a better trigger, and easier to use adjustable sights.

They may decide to pass on both and wait, but I wanted some opinions from anyone with experience with either of these, especially the Taurus. I've never owned a Taurus and I really don't know what to tell them other than the recent ones seem to be just fine and dandy by most accounts.

This is this person's second handgun, their first being a Buckmark .22

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Don Lu
April 29, 2007, 09:20 AM
Taurus also makes a model 66, and its similar to a K-frame smith, that may be whatyou are looking at. I own a Taurus and have not one bad thing to say about them however, they should be right around the 300 dollar mark if not just under already. If you can get a sp101 for 300 then I'd go for it b/c they are around 400.00 where I am. I dont own any Ruger yet, but have always heard how sturdy they are.

Mooseman
April 29, 2007, 09:31 AM
I'd go with the Ruger. I have that model of sp101 and it's been a great carry gun. The trigger (I've been told) smooths out with a lot of dry firing and the main spring can be replaced with a 12,10, or 8 pound one if I recall. Also I'm not sure how much adjustment you'll need on the sights of a snubby. Personally I'd rather have the slightly sturdier non adjustable sights.

glockman19
April 29, 2007, 03:15 PM
No comparison get the Ruger SP 101.

jad0110
April 29, 2007, 04:24 PM
Both are an excellent price at $300. For comparison, SP101s go for $400 in my area and the Taurus 66 sells for about $350.

I had a Taurus 66 6", and it was an excellent gun. I only sold it because I didn't like the balance of the 6" underlug barrel. In the end, both are fine guns. The SP101 is the better deal, IMO though. It will also hold its resale value better.

Euclidean
May 4, 2007, 12:52 AM
Quick follow up on this. Our would be buyer is going to hold off, the Ruger we determined is the better choice here, but it's not quite what the buyer had in mind.

Thanks for all opinions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!