LTB Mini 30 or What Brand AK-47

PDA

drwindmill
April 28, 2007, 12:33 PM
What rifle is better to own? I already own several 223's and am looking for something in the 7.62x39. High capacity mags will be a factor in my decision. The only problem I can see is there are so many different AK-47's.

If you enjoyed reading about "LTB Mini 30 or What Brand AK-47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avenger29
April 28, 2007, 05:18 PM
Go with the AK series. Mags are available and reliable. There are many different brands of AKs.

For the base AK, I would go with a Saiga and have it converted, or do it yourself, which is quite possible.

Cheapest option is a WASR- built by Century. I would not reccommend one of these, though. Very poor QC on Century's behalf

There are high-dollar AKs built by Krebs and some other companies. How much do you have to spend on the AK?

Plink
April 28, 2007, 05:42 PM
I second the AK. It's a lot less picky on magazines and inexpensive mags are all over the place. It's reliable and durable. You can buy a Saiga already converted in the $500 range and that's quite a value, as some lesser quality models sell for more money. All in all though, most any AK you find will be as reliable as sunrise.

MudPuppy
April 28, 2007, 05:54 PM
No way would I personally get a mini-30 over an AK.

A milled bulgy is the best for the price, imo. My WASR was a little rough, but shot just fine--I don't think I'd buy one sight unseen or from someone whom I couldn't return it to if it was a lemon.

Nomad, 2nd
April 28, 2007, 06:37 PM
NO way I'd get a Mini 30.

Look at AK's mags VS the mini 30's mags. (Amoung MANY other reasons)

If you get a WASR check the couple things, and make sure it has/put in a G2 trigger and you'll be find.

I think a couple good AK's are on the Buy/Sell/trade forums right now.

possum
April 28, 2007, 06:43 PM
i would also go with the ak, but i personally don't like the wasr series. i would suggest a romanian sar at a minimum, and even better would be a mak-90, or even better one of the yugo underfolders, which are by far the best in that price range that i have found. don't just get an ak to get one, get one that is gonna serve you well.

Nomad, 2nd
April 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
And DON'T get an underfolder.

Kaylee
April 28, 2007, 07:35 PM
As a plinker/historical toy/weapon - yeah, AK.
As a hunter - CZ carbine.

For the AK - I have to admit, the Saigas look pretty awesome, although they do need all the conversion stuff done on 'em. Romanians are adequate. I've a couple (well, half finished) parts guns built on Nodak receivers and overseas cut up milsurp AKs. Neat from a historical point of view, but not something I'd trust (or recommend) as a weapon - the Romanian especially.

-K

drwindmill
April 28, 2007, 11:59 PM
Okay, gentlemen it looks like the the AK is what I need. Now, I know very little what to look for and at this point do not want to do any work to it myself, so I would rather buy it ready to go. More help on this subject would be greatly appreciated, like an exact brand or even better would be the very gun for me to purchase....

drwindmill
April 29, 2007, 12:00 AM
Forgot to add, I bought some ammo tonight for my AK that I don't even have yet!!

Avenger29
April 29, 2007, 12:05 AM
Well, how much money are you willing/able to part with? AK's come between $300-$1000.

Also, look in the Reading Library at the top of the forum and see the thread "Which AK should I get?"

MudPuppy
April 29, 2007, 12:57 AM
SLR-95.

Search gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.net/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70576001

drwindmill
April 29, 2007, 01:13 AM
I am looking to spend $500-$900. Where could I find an Arsenal brand new?

Ethereal
April 29, 2007, 01:13 AM
I have to agree about the Arsenal's or the Krebs. They offer the best package for someone looking to get into a great AK. Another solid one is from Polytech, but as far as availability is concerned, grab an Arsenal AK.

eliphalet
April 29, 2007, 01:19 AM
I have owned Mini's and AK's, buy the Ruger if you want a quality firearm buy the AK if you want to "spray and prey" and play rambo with a third world gun. The Ak is tougher or can take it better if you want to play rambo and get it in the mud or dirt etc. The Ruger will be a lot more accurate or at least mine was, and if I was planing on any kind of hunting would pick the Ruger for sure. If my primary object was to fill 30 round clips and have fun, get the AK.

Avenger29
April 29, 2007, 01:38 AM
Sorry, eliphalet, your comparison is simply not true when discussing the better AK designs such as Krebs, Arsenals, or Saigas (Saigas are Russian-made AK's imported in a "sporter" configuration). The better quality AK's will leave the Mini-30s in the dust. With good ammunition, they can be quite accurate.

eliphalet
April 29, 2007, 01:54 AM
SAIGA RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS

WE JUST GOT A FEW SAIGS RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS BACK IN STOCK.
THEY NEVER LAST LONG. HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE.
SAIGA 7.62X39, BLACK POLY 16.3"BBL......$249.95
SAIGA .223, BLACK POLY 16.3"BBL............$249.95
SAIGA .308 BLACK POLY, 21.8" BBL..........$349.95
SAIGA .308, BLACK POLY, 16.5"BBL, .........$349.95
SAIGA, .410, BLACK POLY, 19"BBL,............$239.95

Usually you get what you pay for.

Perhaps in a Valmet, yes. Had one of those once, it was a quality AK no doubt, but the price was quite different than a Saiga. I won't argue but my personal experience was what I stated above with what one;s I have owned. and shot.

drwindmill
April 29, 2007, 02:02 AM
Where can I buy a stock Saiga? How is the functionality of stock one?

Avenger29
April 29, 2007, 02:24 AM
Functionality of the stock Saiga is just fine. Only problem is that it will not accept hi-caps without some modifying. You can find instructions elsewhere. Ask you local dealer to order one, or order one from FBMG (http://www.fbmginc.com).

If you modify the Saiga, you must install enough US made parts to be legal. Details are also elsewhere on the net. Someone else will probably post links.

drwindmill
April 29, 2007, 02:36 AM
Looks to me, I should either buy an Arsenal or just start with Saiga and work my way into this.

Avenger29
April 29, 2007, 02:52 AM
Or you could buy a Tromix (http://www.tromix.com)converted Saiga

drwindmill
April 29, 2007, 02:55 AM
Tromix look awesome, but it would be nice to spend about half of that.:)

Deer Hunter
April 29, 2007, 01:29 PM
Then look into converting the Saiga yourself. My 5.56 saiga is sitting in pieces right now waiting for me to start.

drwindmill
April 29, 2007, 03:46 PM
How about this one? http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16178

MD_Willington
April 30, 2007, 12:02 AM
you only need a us pistol grip, us nato stock and the G2 fire control group, then you have enough US parts.

still need a bullet guide...

or just buy one from Will, Google "Red Jacket Firearms"... $589 USD...

22/22mag
April 30, 2007, 12:36 AM
Saiga 7,62x39 worked great before the conversion with 10 rd mags. Sent my Saiga rifle to Tromix now looks and works better with the Tromix conversion with 30 rd AK mags...(well worth the money)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/skinnygun/IMG_0002-4.jpg

drwindmill
April 30, 2007, 12:40 AM
What did it cost you? What about turnaround time?

kmrcstintn
April 30, 2007, 01:41 AM
if these are your 2 choices...

since the Iron Curtain has rusted and the Berlin wall was demolished, the ak47 is almost as prolific as the ar15 here in the U.S.; as much as I am not a fan of Warsaw Pact milsurp, I have to respect the durability and popularity of AK's here in the west...

I couldn't tell you which brand or iteration to get; I used to sell Romaian WASR's when I worked part time at a sporting goods shop and I bought a Yugoslavian w/ underfolding metal stock (I'm consigning it to help get either a Marlin 336 or Browning BLR); the Yugo's cost considerably more, but they are closer to true MilSpec and are built alot better

Ranger J
April 30, 2007, 11:19 AM
I have a stock Saiga and with it and a BSA Red Dot I can shoot clay birds (stationary of course) at 100 yds. I have never felt the need for an extended mag as that would only make me go through my ammo faster than I already do. 762/39 ammo is not as cheap as it used to be.
RJ

one-shot-one
April 30, 2007, 01:38 PM
if money and time are no object:
get a Veper:
http://atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=18

2nd choice armory usa:
http://www.globaltrades.com/

drwindmill
April 30, 2007, 04:15 PM
No one has an opinion on this one? Is this an okay deal?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16178

MD_Willington
April 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
It looks okay, but it doesn't come with any type of warranty.. like I said above, if you go with one of Will's conversions, he'll warranty it for 5 years...

http://www.redstick-firearms.com/

Omnivore
April 30, 2007, 11:38 PM
I've fired Mini-30 and AKs extensively. If you like the looks of the Mini, it can be a fine rifle. If you want higher capacity, there's no question-- get an AK. Either one can be accurate enough for most applications, but I've yet to hear of or see a reliable 30 roung mag for a Mini-30. If Ruger didn't make it, don't use it in a Mini.

Arsenals are great. I'd get one of the few with a stamped receiver if I could, just because they're lighter, but also (and some will not like to hear this) because they have a longer life expectancy. The only reason the Russians ever made milled receivers is it took time to figure out to make a good stamped one. Milled is heavier and more expensive, for no practical gain.

Saigas are also very good. Veprs are great, but heavier and more expensive, if you can even find one.

Test every magazine and make sure it feeds reliably. Most failures are caused by the magazine. AK mags are about the most rugged ever made, but they can and do sustain damage in rough handling or dropping on a hard surface when loaded, being stepped on, etc.. The cool thing is, they are the best and at the same time the cheapest. Oh, but you pay for the ruggedness in extra weight as compared to an AR mag, so along with the heavier bullets, your round count per pound carried is far less. Aim your shots and you won't need many.

There are some nice ARs in cal. 7.62 x 39 also, but I haven't any experience with them. If you happen to find one, it's worth a look, I'm sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "LTB Mini 30 or What Brand AK-47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!