What are the dumbest gun handling skills you've seen in hollywood movies?

PDA

Capstick1
April 28, 2007, 01:49 PM
I love picking on hollywood movies when it comes to this subject. Some well known examples I can think of would be the classic stupid side angle hold with handguns that you see people using in these african american "Gangsta" type movies. Another one I can think of would be the scene in "First Blood 2" when Rambo was sitting in the cockpit of a helicopter with these rescued POW's sitting directly behind him. A Russian HIND helicopter flys in front of him to try and take him out. Before they get a chance to do it, our hero "Rambo" pulls out this LAW rocket tube with the backblast area directly facing the POW's behind him and shoots the Russian helicopter down. Miraculously the rescued POW's weren't hurt. Amazing.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are the dumbest gun handling skills you've seen in hollywood movies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
April 28, 2007, 02:06 PM
Shakiest Gun In The West
Then again it was a Comedy and Don Knots [RIP] was just perfect the lead role.

AlaskaErik
April 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
On Fergie's most recent music video Glamorous she's holding a Tommy gun with her finger on the trigger. Bad form.

April 28, 2007, 02:26 PM
Well, to be fair, it's at least as possible to fire a pistol held sideways out in front of you and hit your target as it is fire it from the hip or mid-chest level - moreso, really, as you can sight down the right side of the slide, however crudely. So, in a movie gunfight between 50 Cent and Humphrey Bogart, my money's on 50 Cent. Especially as GLOCKs appear to cycle blanks more reliably than 1911s. :D

El Tejon
April 28, 2007, 02:29 PM
The Sabrina!:D

Gustav
April 28, 2007, 02:44 PM
Too many dumb moments to list all of them here every thing from dumb safety violations to urban legends and myths posing as facts.
Movies often seek to entertain not to educate or uplift.
Some people seem addicted to more and more violence for whatever reason.
I only wish some of the movie makers would have to live a year in a crime filled neighborhood in a city with a three digit annual homicide rate, not being able to leave for the whole year it might convert or change a few minds as to some of the crap they put out.
Young minds are often influenced by what they see in the media and they often act out what the electronic babysitter has taught them.
YMMV but I have seen enough!:cuss:

PistolNewbie
April 28, 2007, 03:26 PM
The old TV Westerns that many of us loved as kids were pretty unrealistic. Bonanza, Wagon Train, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Roy Rogers, Wild Wild West, are the first few to come to mind. Seems like they always pulled the gun from the holster, fired from the hip and the bad guy dropped. :neener: I wish the cable channels would bring a few more of these back!

JohnL2
April 28, 2007, 06:09 PM
Yes, it is frightening how some young people I meet are so entertainment media drenched.
I'm thinking go out and do something, like fishing, building something, getting involved in a organization. You are much better off.

I watch extremely few movies. When I was younger, it was different. But now I am ultra-selective in what I think might be worth sitting for two or so hours.
Read a book. You are better off.

crebralfix
April 28, 2007, 06:32 PM
"What are the dumbest gun handling skills you've seen in hollywood movies?"

Some idiot making a point in general conversation by pointing a submachine gun at another person (pointing with the gun instead of their finger).

The general facial closeup with a handgun held next to the face is pretty silly too.

Dixie_Amazon
April 28, 2007, 06:44 PM
Just watched Hondo with John Wayne. Bad gun handling and one awful knife fight.

pfgrone
April 28, 2007, 06:45 PM
I crack up at the old westerns when they "sling" the gun to let off a revolver shot. No aiming. Also bouncing up and down on a galloping horse or from a stagecoach and shooting with uncanny accuracy. Sometimes I feel like the caveman in those Geico commercials. Awwww, come on! :rolleyes:
Paul G.

offthepaper
April 28, 2007, 07:23 PM
Anything connected with "The Quick and the Dead". :barf:

Gunpacker
April 28, 2007, 08:03 PM
I have seen several old westerns where the hero demonstrated his gun skills by shooting the hat off the head of a friend. Now, I could have understood it if it was a bad guy, but ruining a friend's hat? Cringed when I saw those.
In many cases, the old westerns have careless gun handling, pointing supposedly loaded guns at people in jest, etc.
I love to watch them, but we can only hope that no one is learning gun handling from them.

MinnMooney
April 28, 2007, 08:13 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "The rifleman". Why would anyone take a lever action and fling the thing around in a complete circle (at one point in the arc - it's pointing directly at himself) just to put a cartridge into the chamber??!? In 1/10th the time, he could......... ah, let me think. What's the word that I'm lookin' for? Oh, yeah, LEVER a cartridge into the chamber.
but "That's Hollyweird"!

toivo
April 28, 2007, 08:14 PM
What about when they throw the revolver away when they run out of ammo? What, they'll never find any more ammo as long as they live? And they don't think the revolver might come in handy as a club in case they end up fighting hand-to-hand?

toivo
April 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
Why would anyone take a lever action and fling the thing around in a complete circle (at one point in the arc - it's pointing directly at himself) just to put a cartridge into the chamber??!?
It's to distract the bad guy, who will stop shooting to admire the dazzling display of gun handling.

.cheese.
April 28, 2007, 08:20 PM
saw Blade Trinity the other day. Thought shooting backwards was pretty dumb..... A) You can't aim at all.... and B) How do you know didn't just shoot some old lady crossing the street instead?

Might as well just shoot blindfolded while you're at it.

texas bulldog
April 28, 2007, 09:27 PM
so maybe it doesn't qualify as gun "handling" exactly, but it really bothers me when the hero uses a pistol to kill a bunch of BGs with AKs or ARs, then refuses to use one of their rifles instead of the handgun!

yeah dude, your little 9mm is really the best possible choice to fulfill the remainder of your mission...

GrizzlyGraves
April 28, 2007, 11:08 PM
Whenever the movie cops enter a building with the old "hold the gun vertically under your chin."

Then they always sweep the room with the MP5's etc. and always sweep right across their fellow officers' bodies.

Drives me CRAZY!

And I'm not even a police officer, yet.

(fingers crossed)

Monkeyleg
April 28, 2007, 11:38 PM
I just watched part of Kevin Costner's "The Untouchables" for the sixtieth time.

Kevin Costner holds his loaded 1911 pointed at his daughter's head as he hugs her, finger on the trigger.

Sean Connery points a loaded shotgun at the chest of another treasury agent.

In fact, there were few times in the entire movie where the actors didn't have fingers on the trigger, and guns pointed in unsafe directions.

migoi
April 29, 2007, 12:09 AM
in various movies is: The good guy/gal is moving through a structure of some type, armed, looking for a bad guy/gal. The music builds to an apex, the good g/g rounds a corner to confront another good guy/gal. The encounter ends with the good g/g point his handgun right at the face of the other good guy/gal. Recognition is made and the armed good guy/gal puts his thumb on the hammer, pulls the trigger to decock the handgun while it is still pointing directly at the face of the other good guy.

gotta love the nonchalance of that move...

migoi

nwilliams
April 29, 2007, 12:38 AM
Desperado

I enjoyed the movie and watch it all the time, but only because its a great action flick, but proper gun handling skills it does not have. But this is true with most movies, excluding of course movies like The Way Of The Gun and HEAT, those break free of the Hollywood trend very nicely.

sacp81170a
April 29, 2007, 01:01 AM
Just watched a movie called The Last Days of Planet Earth. They make a huge point of the good guys trying to get guns and only being able to buy machetes in San Francisco because of the mandatory waiting period. (Which is a good point. Can't hold off the alien invasion if ya can't buy your guns without a waiting period. :evil: ) During the whole thing, they kill numerous aliens who look like cops, but never take one of their guns! Good guy winds up with three rounds left in what looks like a Walther PPK to stand off the whole alien insect horde. :rolleyes:

CountGlockula
April 29, 2007, 01:44 AM
You can't believe in anything you watch...especially in the movies.

I try to keep an eye out on movies that are pretty close.

Srigs
April 29, 2007, 01:54 AM
Cup and saucer shooting of handguns. It :fire: :cuss: :banghead: me!

Im283
April 29, 2007, 04:04 AM
A few of you mentioned shooting from the hip, Quick and the Dead etc....

It was proven to me today that you can shoot a weapon without sighting it directly and make accurate shots. :eek: to some extent I did it myself with minimal training. :) Can't wait to practice more tomorrow. Now with intense training and lots of repitition I firmly believe you can shoot from the hip and shoot the hat off your friend. After what I learned today the Quick and the Dead becomes believable.

I never understood where the character in a movie is undergunned, somehow disables a better armed enemy and then fails to grab that weapon. that and in some movies actors shoot six guns ten or more times with no reloading. you would think they would care about believability(sp):neener:

Special thanks to someone who does not need to be named in this response. You made my day!!!

TonyB
April 29, 2007, 09:16 AM
When they flick the cylinder closed w/ a revolver..makes me shudder..
When they drop a gun on the ground
When the good guy's been chasing the BG around and catches up to him and THEN chambers a round.
Not taking the gun of a dead BG
Also it seems that BG's get taken out w/ 1 shot,GG's can have body full of lead and still crack a witty joke.

Dave Markowitz
April 29, 2007, 09:55 AM
In one 50s-vintage movie a detective used the muzzle of his revolver to scratch his head. :eek:

I think it may have been in "Plan 9 From Outer Space," which of course has a sucktastic quality all its own. :D

ptmmatssc
April 29, 2007, 09:58 AM
Oh man , Plan 9 , gotta love how horrible it is . Had to buy the dvd just to amuse myself when bored .:rolleyes:

K3
April 29, 2007, 10:08 AM
Leaping through the air while firing a a semi-auto in each hand AND nailing the bad guys. Umm. Yeah.

Also, the A-Team. Special Forces guys who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn? Wait, weren't those Mini-14s? :neener:

230RN
April 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
Saw this thread a couple of days ago, but didn't have anything to contribute.

Until last night, when our local PBS station showed an old Sherlock Holmes movie with Basil Rathbone. It was the one where Sherlock rescues the Bomb Sight Designer from the Nazis.

It was a real "AAAGH!" experience, because Sherlock, in disguise, bring the Bomb Sight Designer back to 22 1/2 Baker Street, and Watson, not knowing who they are, discovers them in the house.

Watson holds a small cocked revolver (type unknown) with his finger on the trigger on them and when he discovers it is Sherlock, continues waving the cocked gun back and forth between the scientist (AAAGH!) and Holmes (AAAAGH!) as the conversation goes on for at least a minute, until Sherlock says, "You can put that away, now, Watson."

The bumbling Watson says "Oh. Um. Of course," and uncocks the revolver and puts it in his pocket.

AAAGH!

Sage of Seattle
April 29, 2007, 02:48 PM
Watson holds a small cocked revolver (type unknown) with his finger on the trigger on them and when he discovers it is Sherlock, continues waving the cocked gun back and forth between the scientist (AAAGH!) and Holmes (AAAAGH!) as the conversation goes on for at least a minute, until Sherlock says, "You can put that away, now, Watson."

Sherlock was probably unnaturally calm because of the heroin he always shot up.

(yes, I know that's not true.)

My pet peeve is when single-action revo Heroes (or baddies) constantly cock their piece, then uncock it, then the next second, cock it again, on and on. Then they fire off a round or two, then continue the thumb-and-hammer-shuffle. Irritating.

toivo
April 29, 2007, 02:51 PM
Sherlock was probably unnaturally calm because of the heroin he always shot up.
I thought Holmes was a cocaine man.

Sage of Seattle
April 29, 2007, 03:03 PM
I thought Holmes was a cocaine man.

Ah, toivo, you're right. Mea culpa. Here's what I found after a quickie Google (a quoogle?)

Holmes is known to be moody and antisocial, cloistering himself in his rooms for weeks on end, brooding and indulging in his infamous drug habit. He started using morphine and cocaine as a student and became dependent upon his “seven-percent solution” of cocaine, mainlining it three times a day at the start of The Sign of Four. Watson admonishes him for his drug use, and in the later stories Holmes apparently has kicked his habit. It should be pointed out, however, that Holmes’s drug use was not illegal and would not be until the Dangerous Drug Acts of 1965 and 1967.

I may have just had vague recollections of the morphine and translated that to heroin...

akodo
April 29, 2007, 03:11 PM
Scene in True Lies, the woman (jamie lee curtis?) drops an Ingrams or Uzi style SMG, it fires as it hits the floor (I cringed) the bullets miraculously find their way to a badguy (I cringe again), gun bounces onto stairway firing again(cringe with fear and forboding) and continues to bounce down the rest of the stairs, firing every bounce, killing badguys with every fire.....

what also gets me is when a badguy has a gun out, holding people hostage or whatever, and he uses it like he is holding a pen, like he has forgotten it is a weapon. Uses it to gensure and point, uses it to scratch his head, uses it to dial a phone, etc. Just silly.

Erinyes
April 29, 2007, 03:22 PM
Scene in True Lies, the woman (jamie lee curtis?) drops an Ingrams or Uzi style SMG, it fires as it hits the floor (I cringed) the bullets miraculously find their way to a badguy (I cringe again), gun bounces onto stairway firing again(cringe with fear and forboding) and continues to bounce down the rest of the stairs, firing every bounce, killing badguys with every fire.....
Yeah, but that moving was supposed to be silly and over-the-top. It's not the kind of movie where I bother nitpicking gun handling.

April 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
To be fair to True Lies, that scene was supposed to be improbable and funny, but I would guess that a MAC, with bolt to the rear and safety off, is probably among the less "drop-safe" guns around.

Speaking of which - Blofeld drops a double-action revolver in You Only Live Twice and it discharges. I don't believe it was even cocked, as he had just fired a shot to kill one of his incompetent associates.

How about good gunhandling that's historically inaccurate? I submit the modern grips and stances on display coupled with Blackwater-style room-clearing tactics in U-571, a movie set in 1942. Of course, that's not the only historical inaccuracy in that movie. :rolleyes:

btaylor73
April 29, 2007, 04:02 PM
Just recently watched an episode of Lost and saw a character cock "the hammer" of A GLOCK....... TWICE in the same heated conversation. When he didn't get the answer he wanted he cocked it again. Nice!

230RN
April 29, 2007, 04:10 PM
Sage of Seattle (post #34):

Here's what I found after a quickie Google (a quoogle?)

Dunno why, but that neologism tickled the heck out of me.

Been giggling for ten minutes.

Thanks! :)

jad0110
April 29, 2007, 04:13 PM
http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/mpmain.html

andrewdl007
April 29, 2007, 04:19 PM
I always liked the Monk episode where the cops are trying to see if a monkey can pull the trigger of a Beretta 92. Anyway, the joke it the cop is trying to get the monkey to shoot the gun at him thinking it is unloaded. He gives the (loaded) gun to the monked without even checking if it is loaded.

creampuff
April 29, 2007, 07:49 PM
Every movie where SWAT/LEO or some type of entry team, is just about to enter a dangerous situation, and that is when they all start pulling the slide or charging handles, back on their weapons to load a round into the chamber. What are police in Hollywood not allowed to have a round in the chamber??

Or when the good guy/bad guy fires a couple of rounds, still has a loaded magazine, stops for some other plot line in the movie, and then chambers a round again. First why waste a bullet, and second where did the cartridge go that should have gone flying out of the chamber.

Sage of Seattle
April 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
Dunno why, but that neologism tickled the heck out of me.

Been giggling for ten minutes.

Thanks!

My pleasure!

Macpherson
April 29, 2007, 08:08 PM
Bourne Identity, near the end in the stairwell when he fires two pistols, one right side up the other upside down using his pinky to pull the trigger...yeah right. And then moments later that feat is eclipsed by his headshot of another BG while falling 4 stories and landing on top of a dead BG, and somehow all he gets out of that with nothing but a slight limp :rolleyes:

Also, any of the innumerable TV shows and movies where one character asks another if they know how to use a gun, and that character proceeds to rack the slide and/or remove the mag to see if it is loaded...as if that's all that they need to know :banghead:

Deer Hunter
April 29, 2007, 08:52 PM
Mac, I enjoyed The Bourne Identity (still have to watch the sequal, though...) a lot. That is, except for that last scene. I could buy into the .22 being shot upside down, but the 4 story fall/headshot? What was he thinking?

"I could easily rush the stairs and take the hairy, slightly pudgy gunman by surprise, or I could use this dead man as a sky-board...."

Racking the slide for emphasis gets on my nerves.

Keeping your pistol, even though there are AK-47s laying strewn about always annoyed me as well.

Starter52
April 29, 2007, 10:03 PM
+1 to the guys who mentioned "chambering a round at the last second". I must have seen this Hollywoodism a hundred times.

scrat
April 30, 2007, 02:11 AM
Cable tv had dancing with wolves on yesterday. my son was laughing during one scene where they were shooting lever action rifles without using the lever. they just kept shooting.

PinnedAndRecessed
April 30, 2007, 02:14 AM
"The Big House." An episode of Andy Griffith. Gomer's been deputized. He's standing there chewing on the muzzle of a double barrel shotgun.

Andy says, "And get that gun out of your mouth!"

Wayne D
April 30, 2007, 10:27 AM
Keeping your pistol, even though there are AK-47s laying strewn about always annoyed me as well.

Even when they do pick up a weapon from a dead bad guy, they never search the body for extra mags. I've only seen one movie where they did, I believe it was "Terminator 2".

What bothers me the most is pistols that continue to fire with the slide locked back.

BrianB
April 30, 2007, 11:08 AM
+1 on the Rambo LAW mistake.

heron
April 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
I entered this conversation too late and all my favorites have already been mentioned, but . . .
A few of you mentioned shooting from the hip, Quick and the Dead etc....
I saw a book in the library with a photo series about some Marine drill sargeant who had a bunch of shooting citations for his performance with a 1911. He used strictly GI gun and holster, and could quick-draw and shoot about anything, from the hip. It showed a cool trick he had: pistol holstered, without a round chambered, he'd draw the gun partly, then shove it back into the holster to rack the slide, then up, and bang! Pretty impressive.

Anyway, as much as some of the gun handling in movies and TV is bad, sometimes the guns themselves make no sense. Worst, IMHO, is the one carried as a sidearm by the black woman fighter in the "Firefly/Serenity" series -- it's a chopped-down lever rifle. Can't cycle it with one hand, big and clumsy to hold and aim, and the shortened mag tube probably can only hold about four rounds, if that. Oh, it looks really mean, though!
Also, am I the only one who notices that Hollywood guns almost never recoil (except for Dirty Harry's)?
Silly.

BrianB
April 30, 2007, 11:16 AM
Oh, I almost forgot! I saw Jackie Chan disarm the BG by removing the slide from the pistol when the BG held it to his head. Took about 1 sec....but then again, it's Jackie Chan, where everything can be done after 300 takes.

Im283
April 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
Was watching one of the sequals to the Magnificent 7 last night. In one scene Yul Brinner is shown shooting from in front of a wall, he stays stationary shooting from his waist, of course picking off riders. Immediatley after that gun battle he is shown emptying his revolver while behind a wall on a ledge. He empties the gun and re-holsters it. Why no reload?? Next wave of attackers comes and he pulls the gun and starts shooting it.

This movie was one ridiculous scene after another. But with most movies I put the unbelievable out of mind and just try to enjoy the story.

the lone gunman
April 30, 2007, 01:47 PM
How about the way Clint Eastwood holds his wrist with his off hand when shooting ? (dirty Harry movies )

Coyote3855
April 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
Maybe the first one, where Mel Gibson shows up for his new assignment with Danny Glover. Gibson sits on a desk, pulls out his piece and starts playing with it. Glover yells "GUN" and there's a fracus. Lethal Weapon movies also featured anti-gun posters in the back ground of several scenes. Jerks.

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
April 30, 2007, 02:19 PM
Gibson sits on a desk, pulls out his piece and starts playing with it. Glover yells "GUN" and there's a fracus.

Well there SHOULD have been a fracas...a person has no reason to unholster their weapon just to "play" with it. I'm not anti gun, but farting around with a loaded firearm when there are a bunch of people around is just stupid.

Sniper X
April 30, 2007, 02:22 PM
I call it the grip re-grip. The "actor" continuosly lets his or her fingers loose from the grip except for the finger in the trigger well :uhoh: and then regrips the gun...ad infinitum! I hate that! It looks like they are giving it a massage.

Sniper X
April 30, 2007, 02:25 PM
Dave, that was Plan 9 from outter space! And....the guy contiinuosly does it, and with his finger in the well! Pushes up hat with muzzel, finger in the well, scratches head continuosly finger in the well! ARRRGGGGH! I also see "actors" stick the gun in their pants, in the front between the belt and shirt with their finger in the trigger well! YIKES! Talk about not wanting to shoot off the bidness!

BEARMAN
April 30, 2007, 02:38 PM
In the movie COBRA with STALLONE. "HERO" spins cocked 1911 then crams it in behind his belt pointing at his privates. Stuffed in your belt is cooler than a good holster, I guess.

T J
April 30, 2007, 02:52 PM
Pulp Fiction, when Vincent turns around in the car to talk to the guy in the back seat with his pistol pointed at him and, Whoops!

EddieCoyle
April 30, 2007, 02:55 PM
My son and I watched a terrible movie called "Snakehead Terror" where one of the characters fires a bunch of shots out of a revolver with his off hand wrapped around the end of the cylinder near the barrel.

Big Calhoun
April 30, 2007, 05:10 PM
I can't name any specific movies as I don't watch them much, but...

* Any movie with effort less single-handed, two-gun shooting. Especially when it's two larger calibers like two .45s, or a .45 and .40

* Any movie where the shooter is praying-and-spraying with an automatic, but the target ends up with multiple gunshoot wounds in a tight pattern.

* The sideways shooting. Although, we know that's no longer part of 'movie magic'.

* Any action sequence involving parkour-like moves and accurate shooting.

* Any scene where the actor effortlessly points his gun at people for emphasis while keeping his finger in the triggerguard.

DrivelVision...all of it!!!!!

Chuhhuniban
April 30, 2007, 05:22 PM
Cup and saucer shooting of handguns. It me!

Why? It was an accepted grip/position when I was in Army. Even since, the only real objection I've heard was "what happens if your weapon KaBooms and it forcibly ejects the magazine out the bottom." The reason I ask is that I still (on occasion) use it.

Outlaw Man
April 30, 2007, 05:45 PM
Nearly every movie with a single action pistol that runs out of ammo (or any auto-loader with the slide locked back) - the gun will click, presumably from the hammer dropping on an empty cylinder, as many times as the shooter pulls the trigger before realizing the gun is empty.

For some reason that gets on my nerves more than anything. I don't guess it's a lack of gun handling skill, though.

I've noticed it's becoming fairly common for TV cops to hold their gun with it pointed at the BG's crotch instead of horizontally at the chest/head. Of course, in some cases that's probably the best place to shoot them.

JohnL2
April 30, 2007, 06:26 PM
Does anyone remember that sniper versus sniper scene in 'Saving Private Ryan'?
Did that G.I. actually mess with his scope just before setting up his shot?
Didn't he just totally screw up his zero? People who don't know will never notice, but it just bugged the hec out of me. Also, the trite crosshairs covering the target viewpoint and making the shot even at differing ranges. Uh, there's this little thing called ballistics and physics that disallows that. I know just small technical gaffs. Completely ruins a movie for me.
Anyhow, by current military standards he wasn't really a sniper. Considering that they undergo rigorous training in being invisible and working in two man teams. To put it succintly, they are sneaky bastards.
I've read here that the Army has brought back the concept of the squad designated marksman. Fantastic move.

April 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
Nearly every movie with a single action pistol that runs out of ammo (or any auto-loader with the slide locked back) - the gun will click, presumably from the hammer dropping on an empty cylinder, as many times as the shooter pulls the trigger before realizing the gun is empty.

How about Aliens, where Lt. Gorman's pistol runs dry, but stays in battery as he pulls the trigger several times with loud audible clicks? Ah, but there's an example of someone who did their homework, as it's an HK VP70Z, double-action only with no slide lock. :cool:

Capstick1
April 30, 2007, 10:36 PM
Steven Seagall is pretty good for the most part when it comes to realistic gun handling skills. From what I've read he's an avid handgun shooter and is pretty fond of the 1911 pistol.

Geister
April 30, 2007, 10:48 PM
I saw this really, really bad B-movie once in which some guy was trying to snipe someone from a Opera theatre box. The gun scope POA was basically a little target cursor moving around the screen. Looked like if you had a crosshair for a mouse cursor.

Then some guy found him and got into a struggle, and they managed to fire three or four shots from a bolt action rifle without ever touching the action.

I looked on the IMDB afterwards and all the actors and actresses were former porn stars from Russia.

tmajors
April 30, 2007, 10:52 PM
What the hell...not one person mentioned the massive limp wristed pistol shooting by Han Solo in Star Wars? And it was a laser gun! How much recoil could that possibly have?

arjppj
May 1, 2007, 12:36 AM
right before they go quail hunting and the guy pumps his shotgun 3 times...:scrutiny:

rantingredneck
May 1, 2007, 01:00 AM
In the movie COBRA with STALLONE. "HERO" spins cocked 1911 then crams it in behind his belt pointing at his privates. Stuffed in your belt is cooler than a good holster, I guess.

Beat me to it. First thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Coulda blown his junk off.

Kharn
May 1, 2007, 09:18 AM
When John Travolta's character accidentily shoots the guy in the back of the car in Pulp Fiction. Definite bad form.

JohnL2:
Did that G.I. actually mess with his scope just before setting up his shot?
Didn't he just totally screw up his zero? You're supposed to adjust your zero when making long-range shots, not just use Kentucky elevation.

Kharn

Colt
May 1, 2007, 09:46 AM
My pet peeve is how good guys de-cock their guns.

GG wakes to a strange sound late at night. As the climax of a dramatic house-clearing, he bursts into the kitchen and points his automatic at the head of his partner, who is standing in front of the open refridgerator, with a carton of milk in his hand, still in mid-swallow. The partner makes a stupid joke, the GG rolls his eyes, sighs, and then proceeds to de-cock his automatic with one hand, while still pointing it at his partner's face.

Classic.

Regen
May 1, 2007, 02:02 PM
What about when they throw the revolver away when they run out of ammo?
I believe John Wu made a movie where both the good guy and the bad guy have the slides locked back pointed at each other out of ammo. They are in a room, littered with guns other people discarded when they ran out of ammo. Both characters spend the next few minutes running around trying the different guns on the floor looking for one with ammo.

dmrodco
May 1, 2007, 03:07 PM
One actor who tries to keep things real

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steven Seagall is pretty good for the most part when it comes to realistic gun handling skills. From what I've read he's an avid handgun shooter and is pretty fond of the 1911 pistol.
If segal is so real then, when he decocked a 1911 in a few of his movies by pressing back on the barrel and pulling the trigger is real ? I guess I am dumb couldnt figure out how the heck with one finger he could press the slide back. and the hammer certainly wont fall if the slide isn't in full battery. movie makers must be smarter than me :neener:

the naked prophet
May 1, 2007, 03:54 PM
I believe John Wu made a movie where both the good guy and the bad guy have the slides locked back pointed at each other out of ammo. They are in a room, littered with guns other people discarded when they ran out of ammo. Both characters spend the next few minutes running around trying the different guns on the floor looking for one with ammo.

Either "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" or "Desperado." Funny scene. Although all gun handling in that entire movie was totally ridiculous.

Bazooka Joe71
May 1, 2007, 05:04 PM
Sorry if its been said already, but I haven't had a chance to read through all of these yet, but one of my all time favorite, dumbest-gun-handling things I've ever seen was in Die Hard 2

Jon McClaine, a well respected police officer, who should also know his way around a gun if poking his nose around the janitors quarters in the airport. The janitor sneeks up behind him and Jon slams the janitor up against the wall, draws his gun and points it at his forehead...Once he realizes the janitor is a good guy, he proceeds to decock the gun WHILE STILL JAMMED INTO THE JANITORS FOREHEAD

LOL, I love the Die Hard's and LMFAO every time I see that part.

Oh, and in Bad Boys Two, when Martin Lawrences daughter goes on a date with a young man, and Will Smith, holding a boddle of Booze, faking being drunk walks up to him to scare him, and points the gun at him with finger-on-trigger...Like all good cops do.

Actually, I'll go ahead and say "anything related to BB2) or BB1 for that matter.

Sean85746
May 1, 2007, 07:39 PM
First...let me say I REALLLY REALLLY like "JERICHO".

Now, having said that...I am annoyed by the fact that Jake, Hawkins, and Johnston, wehile escaping from New Bern...didn't take ANY of the weapons or ammo they could have taken!

Ammo and guns are in short supply.

Come on fellers...raid the basta'ds!

Another of my favorite irritants is watching the gun wielder constantly shuffle his gun from one hand to the other while clearing a building.

The original TV version of "SWAT" and "STARSKY AND HUTCH" pretty much blew goats. The SWATTIES were constantly firing their M-16's from the hip, and Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky) did the ridiculous "hands over his head in a steeple" move before he fired his Model 59.

"The A-Team"....oh god, don't even get me started.

Tom Selleck is a rare example of an actor who can handle a weapon. So, I take this opportunity to give him kudos. The guys on "THE UNIT" and "NCIS" do a pretty good job.

Archer1945
May 1, 2007, 10:07 PM
Who watches True Lies for the shooting scenes, other than the Harrier scenes at the end? I watch it just to see Jamie Lee Curtis.:D

sadhvacman
May 1, 2007, 10:26 PM
has to be the number of shells they manage to have loaded in conventional shotguns.

Tinmancr
May 2, 2007, 01:55 AM
but I like guns with infinite ammo, just spraying an uzi for 15-20 seconds.
and than starts shooting again without a reload.
yeah Untochables was pretty fake, and displayed little or no safety or skill.
it also sported some of the worst gun sounds.
"Costner's .45 after after her reloads it is silent"
must have been subsonic rounds?

Dain Bramage
May 2, 2007, 02:04 PM
did the ridiculous "hands over his head in a steeple" move

Can anybody enlighten us to the purpose of that move? It seems to be a staple of 70's cop shows.

toivo
May 2, 2007, 02:34 PM
did the ridiculous "hands over his head in a steeple" move
Can anybody enlighten us to the purpose of that move? It seems to be a staple of 70's cop shows.
I think it started with Charlie's Angels. The purpose was to show off the shooter's... um... form. Why they started having guys do it, I don't know.

DoubleTapDrew
May 2, 2007, 05:54 PM
If segal is so real then, when he decocked a 1911 in a few of his movies by pressing back on the barrel and pulling the trigger is real ? I guess I am dumb couldnt figure out how the heck with one finger he could press the slide back. and the hammer certainly wont fall if the slide isn't in full battery.

He was decocking it? I always thought he was just doing a press check (with one finger no less, since he's so strong! :p ). I'll have to pay attention to that next time I see one of his movies.

One of the most glaring and hard to overlook errors I've seen was in the movie Maximum Overdrive (based on a Stephen King novel, starring Emilio Estevez). The proprietor of the truck stop had a nice basement full of NFA toys, but his favorite was the LAWS...that he reloaded and shot again probably 20 times in that movie :eek: Aren't those a one shot "fire and throw it away" item?
ETA: Almost forgot, they always shoot it from the hip. No aiming needed!

Warren
May 2, 2007, 06:47 PM
The movie Hot Fuzz covers a lot of these. There is a scene in the parking lot of a grocery store where after every new camera shot or angle the shotgun is racked. At first I thought it was bad editing but it kept happening and it was obviously intentional.

Hoppy590
May 2, 2007, 08:10 PM
The movie Hot Fuzz covers a lot of these. There is a scene in the parking lot of a grocery store where after every new camera shot or angle the shotgun is racked. At first I thought it was bad editing but it kept happening and it was obviously intentional.

i love those types of scenes, when theres lik 3 people with guns, but you hear like 100 guns being cocked, the star always looks behind him at his gun toating chronies confused.

another good tounge in cheek scene is from Scary Movie 3 when they are getting ready to fight the aliens, and i think its charlie sheen whos holding a shovel. says something like "lets get them" and then cocks the shovel, and a shell pops out!

Dimensio
May 2, 2007, 08:19 PM

It may have been done as a joke, but I still had to hold my tongue every time I saw a character holding their gun with the finger on the trigger while not pointing at a target. Especially Simon Pegg's character who theoretically should have known better.

Dimensio
May 2, 2007, 08:26 PM
Worst, IMHO, is the one carried as a sidearm by the black woman fighter in the "Firefly/Serenity" series -- it's a chopped-down lever rifle. Can't cycle it with one hand, big and clumsy to hold and aim, and the shortened mag tube probably can only hold about four rounds, if that. Oh, it looks really mean, though!

Serenity takes place 500 years in the future. Obviously the firearm only cosmetically resembles a chopped-down lever rifle, but the technology of the future that went into the firearm makes it quite formiddable and serviceable.

Also, am I the only one who notices that Hollywood guns almost never recoil (except for Dirty Harry's)?

Wait, you mean those weren't supposed to be Airsoft guns in the 2004 Dawn of the Dead?

Does anyone watch Heroes? I've seen two characters who were clearly shown holding handguns with their fingers on the slide, rather than the trigger.

TnBigBore
May 2, 2007, 08:45 PM
In the Clint Eastwood movie Absolute Power Dennis Haysbert (The Allstate guy with the deep voice) plays one of the President's men. He is practicing with his "sniper rifle". It looks like some non descript scoped bolt action 308 or similar. He practices off-hand and puts the scope's ocular bell right against his eyebrow. I wonder what would happen if he tried this in real life?

Capstick1
May 3, 2007, 10:13 PM
In many of these movies you see Clint Eastwood pointing his pistol up in the air whenever he cocks the hammer back on the pistol. As ridiculous as this looks, there really is a reason for this. In most of the "Man with no name" movies he uses an 1836 Navy Colt blackpowder revolver. This revolver requires you to individually load black powder and lead balls in the cylinder and insert percussion caps behind the cylinder. A common problem with these revolvers was the cylinder would jam up when residue from the percussion caps got behind the cylinder. The best way to avoid these malfunctions was to have the pistol pointing straight up the air as you cocked the hammer. By doing this it would allow the residue from the percussion cap to fall harmlessly on the ground instead of behind the cylinder. Theres absolutely no reason to do this with todays modern guns and ammunition.

bg
May 4, 2007, 03:37 AM
Kid Shelleen in Cat Ballou did some weird stuff..

http://www.jerryschatzberg.com/personalities/img/marvin.jpg

theken206
May 4, 2007, 04:34 AM
wow, way to many to list. This could go on and on and on.

all the never realoding stuff{and god help them if they do, its because they ran out of rounds and the weapon is going "click-click-click, not because of any tactical fore though or the like} people blasting away full auto with a SMG and the 30 round mag' lasting a min and a half.

How about a recent one. I couldnt even watch the movie 16 Blocks with Bruce Willis and Mos Def because of the part with BW's GLOCK having a FTE{IIRC it "stove piped", then it pans around Bruce and the weapon is good to go.:banghead:

Now this means that during the filming of that scene someone noticed the FTE and cleared it. HOW AND THE HELL did the tech advisor not mention that to the director and the director to the editing crew??!!!!

I could think of sooooo many more but have to go with my biggest pet peeves of rounds being chambered every fricking time a weapon is drawn from a holster or is pointed at someone or comes into play/view in anyway.

Yeah, im sure that some on duty LEO is running around with out one in the pipe.

How about the thumbing back the hammer{aka nefarious clicking noises} sound on hammerless weapons IE GLOCK's in more than a few examples already given.

People cocking back hammers on revovlers and aiming them at someones face to make a point with there fingers on the trigger. Hostage or the like or not that crap aint flying with me. Point it else wheres or shoot me .....period.

Uhhh how about the good guy in any given movie or tv show chases the bad guy or current protaganist down a blind alley, through a darkhallway with lots of rooms and doors ect ect and then being suprised when his/her carelessness gets him 'bushed.

How about the show CSI in generall. THEY ARE FRICKIN TECHIES AND EVIDENCE PROCESSERS!!! They aint running around in peoples back yards weapons drawn lookin all ninja and stuff kicking in doors.

as has been said before people never picking up weapons ammo ect ect from the bad guys. OK OK I get it that stainless steel Desert Eagle you have been lugging around for half the show/movie is all you need.

How about on the offset that someone picks up a weapon from a dead BG or comrade they NEVER grab any spare ammo and NEVER check the status of the weapon.

NcongruNt
May 4, 2007, 06:29 AM
Well, the A-Team episodes are full of awful gun handling and unrealistic shooting.

One in particular that comes to mind is an episode called "The White Ballot" where Hannibal shots of one of the BG's hats off... with an AK-47 (if I remember correctly) from the hip firing 3 shots in full auto from about 15y range. Yeah.

TheDisturbed1
May 4, 2007, 07:06 AM
Walker Texas Ranger...

not to dog the show at all, but when Walker kinda points and shoots with his 92FS and hits them dead-on every time... c'mon!

Damien45
May 4, 2007, 07:14 AM
This thread has covered many, many, many of the ones I have noticed.

I really hate it when the slide gets cycled, shotgun gets racked or revolver/pistol gets cocked, REPEATEDLY.

I really hate it that almost EVERY firearm that gets dropped goes off.

The worst is the one handed decock of a 1911 :fire:

wolf_from_wv
May 4, 2007, 10:17 AM
Jeremiah Johnson went up into the mountains
And scratched the side of his head with his pistol sight

Right after he finds the guy buried in the sand

Afy
May 4, 2007, 03:51 PM
Artic Assault... Well its Chuk Norris....

He could point a finger and drop people dead... :neener:

Also if he racked air... a shotgun shell would be ejected...

ETCss Phil McCrackin
May 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
Lately, my wife has been beating me to the punch, (which shows just how much couples rub off on one another as the years go by...) with remarks like, "What the heck was that, a BB gun?" when Ali Larters character on "Heroes" test fired her new scoped rifle with no noticeable recoil. Or a couple of days ago when on some guy on some movie, (I was only watching in spurts, due to online gaming) began clearing a house with a hammer down colt-lookalike and she said, "At some point that guy had better cock that 1911.."

I love her......

Damien45
May 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
Lately, my wife has been beating me to the punch, (which shows just how much couples rub off on one another as the years go by...) with remarks like, "What the heck was that, a BB gun?" when Ali Larters character on "Heroes" test fired her new scoped rifle with no noticeable recoil. Or a couple of days ago when on some guy on some movie, (I was only watching in spurts, due to online gaming) began clearing a house with a hammer down colt-lookalike and she said, "At some point that guy had better cock that 1911.."

I love her......

Yeah they used a BB Gun in Super Troopers. What a joke.

imprezagm4
May 4, 2007, 06:13 PM
Not Hollywood... but oh my goodness.

Every show/original movie on SCI-FI. Let me first start off in saying I absolutely hate that channel, but the other day I flipped by the channel just as a giant lizard was eating some guy (haha)... One of the heroes busts out a 1911 and starts shooting at it...

pow-pow-pow-pow-pow-pow......etc, I counted a total of 42 shots, the slide never moved, neither did the gun or the guys arm... just a CGI flash and some lame sound effects. It was horrible, I haven't laughed that hard at TV in a while. I don't think they even try to make those movies good, I'm pretty sure they are aimed at 4-6 year olds.

esmith
May 5, 2007, 12:33 AM
The scene in Starsky and Hutch where Ben Stiller whips his gun around his back and tries to shoot the guy holding a gun to hutchs head. He ends up shooting a good guy.

Charles W Webb
May 5, 2007, 02:47 AM
"Every show/original movie on SCI-FI"

Lol I remember watching a sci-fi show where they were shooting a giant kamodo dragon. One guy was in the back of a truck shooting a bolt action rifle semi auto. Oh and the scene in XXX-State of the union, with the prison guard with a semi auto bolt action. And the movie Mean Guns. ANY Chuck Norris move! I can go on and on too.

Atleast Steven Seagall knows how to fire a gun, wich is why he is one of my 2 favorite actors.

Silvanus
May 5, 2007, 07:18 AM
I laugh at the countless firearms mistakes too, but I think that some of them are probably intentional. Not every character in the movie is supposed to have had a lot of training with guns. What I hate most is the "clicking" sound when a person points a gun at somebody. Especially when they are Glocks or other pistols that don't have safeties or hammers.

Gaucho Gringo
May 5, 2007, 08:58 PM
Although the gun handling may be questionable in the "Quick and the Dead" I did enjoy the diversity of firearms that are time period correct. I especially liked the the LeMat or Root revolver (couldn't tell which one) the Swedish character had and the Colt cartridge conversion that Cort had.

Fulcrum of Evil
May 5, 2007, 09:22 PM
Die Hard 3: Samuel L Jackson threatens the main BG with an MP5, but forgets to disengage the safety (D'oh!)

Fulcrum of Evil
May 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
> Bourne Identity, near the end in the stairwell when he fires two pistols, one right side up the other upside down using his pinky to pull the trigger...yeah right.

Well, he's supposed to be this super-assassin, so they're just showing off how studly he is...

Silvanus
May 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
I just watched "LA Confidential"...In the final shootout, "Shotgun-Ed"(I'm not good at remembering names;) ) picks up a pump-action shotgun with one hand and you can hear the typical "pumping" sound:rolleyes:
Very cool movie, though imo.

Agent 86
July 13, 2007, 10:31 AM
It's been a while since the last post, but here's my two cents anyway.

Aside from the tipical sound of a hammer being cocked when a glock is drawn, there is one specific instance that is horrible.

In Rambo III, Col. Trautman is captured by the Soviets. When he is brought before the base commander, he gets a handgun shoved in his face. The only problem is the "menacing" gun isn't so "menacing at" all. The slide is in lockback. A pretty dumb mistake.

#shooter
July 13, 2007, 10:47 AM
I hate it when after a long car/boat/plane/train ride the hero/villain arrives at a location walk/runs to a door/window looks inside and then decides it is time to load the semi/pump weapon by racking the slide/pump/bolt. Usually as they enter the building/room. if I know I am going to a hostile location why not get the weapon ready first.

Knotthead
July 13, 2007, 11:14 AM
Not a movie, but I remember a scene from TV's Crossing Jordan, I believe it was. The bad guy was holding a shotgun on one of the show's regular characters, and just as they cut from him to the star you heard the typical sound of a pump shotgun being racked to load a shell in the chamber. You know, the sound that is supposed to make everyone soil their pants? Funny thing is, though, that I didn't know you could make a double barrel sound that way.

bsf
July 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
Die Hard 3: Samuel L Jackson threatens the main BG with an MP5, but forgets to disengage the safety (D'oh!)
The fact that Jackson's character was not familiar with the operation of an MP5 seems believable to me.

fletcher
July 13, 2007, 01:56 PM
Several times I've seen a scene where someone will have a loaded gun aimed at the head of their target, then decide not to shoot, and lower the hammer down slowly while keeping the gun aimed right at the person's head. I guess safeties/decockers are overrated.

Mark_from_Iowa
July 13, 2007, 03:06 PM
In "Behind Enemy Lines" when Owen Wilson's character is picked up by the resistance fighters (good guys), one of them holds a pistol to his head with a finger on the trigger. I assume the scene is supposed to make you nervous that Owen is a finger-twitch away from dying. Unfortunately, the pistol in question is a CZ-52, which is a single action. My own example is nearly impossible to cock with only my right thumb and keep it on target.

That movie is also notable for the main character's seeming invulneability to MG fire, artillery, and explosives.

doubleg
July 13, 2007, 03:12 PM
This isn't from a movie but its on a video game. When you are using the K98k on Call Of Duty 3 you can see the gun is on saftey, yet it still fires. :scrutiny:

DixieTexian
July 13, 2007, 03:51 PM
How long have our modern safety rules been around and how many of the bad guys actually use them? I think a lot of people are careless when it comes to safety rules. And movies like westerns, those guns were completely different than ours today. Nearly all of them had a hammer that had to be cocked in order to shoot. So, hammer down with a finger on the trigger was probably considered safe. As far as spinning a lever action to cock it goes, it is completely safe. When the gun is pointed in an unsafe direction, the action is open. Not until it finishes the spin is it closed. The only way you can hurt yourself spinning a lever gun is it you hit yourself in the shoulder with the front sight.

trueg50
July 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
Most definitely the opening scene in "shooter" where his sniper team is carrying a 50 cal. and he starts shooting it like its a bolt action, or he just has a lot of failure to eject problems.

Caimlas
July 13, 2007, 04:00 PM
I think Hollywood is wising up a bit. For instance, Jack Bauer has good trigger control, and I watched "Next" recently (which had some pretty damn awesome gun fight scenes, btw) and they all had good handling and firearm discipline - very impressive.

For the most part, it irritates me when it's an action film, but not so much when it's something else where someone "just has a gun". An action film's bread and butter are: a) cool and professional gun handling, b) accurate portrayals of firearm use, and c) good gun sound effects. The sound effects don't even need to be the right ones - just make them sound good, for cryin' out loud! It is astounding so many movies screw these up, let alone all three at once.

ETA: the ones that irritate me the most is when people are able to use concealment for cover, and hwen bullets just pock-mark metal surfaces. A perfect example of this is the movie The Marine (*sigh* yes, I saw it - as a background distraction while I was doing work), where the police car (actually a fancy sports car with a light bar) gets shot up by the bad guys he's trying to follow using an M16, USI, pistols, etc.: bullet pock marks every 2" in the hoot, roof, etc., but the tires are OK, the radiator probably hasn't been hit yet, and the windshield is gone, yet he's not hit. And then he uses a flak jacket from within the car to deflect a full-auto burst from an M16 as if the vest was a midevil shield made from 2" steel plate.

Other than that, the biggest irritant is when you've got a gun like a .30-30 lever action and it makes a pathetic little pop, or a variety of different sounds (sometimes a pop, sometimes a shotgun sound - ***), has no recoil when fired like a pistol, etc. On the flip side of that, I love it when a show or movie uses a shorter shotgun and they actually show the protagonist pumping the action (best example I an think of are actually a couple scenes in '24' where Jack Bauer uses one for entry, because I watched it recently).

Caimlas
July 13, 2007, 04:31 PM
Every movie where SWAT/LEO or some type of entry team, is just about to enter a dangerous situation, and that is when they all start pulling the slide or charging handles, back on their weapons to load a round into the chamber. What are police in Hollywood not allowed to have a round in the chamber??

Na, it saves the director and/or writer from having to come up with something witty and/or weighty for a bit character to say, and means they don't need to hire a bit character to say it. It's just theater, in the purest sense of the word.

Dravur
July 13, 2007, 05:52 PM
Holly Wood has all the answers....

1. Holly says that any six shooter that fires more than 6 shots was a special design that fires a much smaller round and can therefore hold 100 rounds in the same cylinder.

2. Safeties on all hollwood guns are broken. This allows the gun to still fire as film is expensive and they need to get the takes done.

3. Glocks are held sideways because A. Its cooler... and B. this allows the bad guy to have a trademark and allows real gun guys another reason to hate the BG.

4. Trigger control? We don't need no stinkin trigger control.

5. If we dress up a standard pistol, it becomes a Sci-Fi gun... automatically.

6. Spinning a rifle is cool. This allows for the use of 2 rifles and new dental work as the reins pull out your original teeth. This gives a better smile.

7, Innacuracies in gun terminology. WE aren't gun people and we don't know any. We get to make it up.

There ya go, 7 rules from Holly Wood.

Black Majik
July 13, 2007, 06:25 PM
At the Range, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are at the range practicing. Danny Glover shoots his group and tries to impress Gibson.

Mel Gibson pulls out his Beretta, produced the MEANEST FLINCH, no cycling of the slide, no spent brass coming out of the gun. Meanwhile you hear brass hitting the floor and Gibson produces a smiley face to show for.

I wish I could do that. :D

Tommygunn
July 13, 2007, 06:27 PM
As far as spinning a lever action to cock it goes, it is completely safe. When the gun is pointed in an unsafe direction, the action is open. Not until it finishes the spin is it closed. The only way you can hurt yourself spinning a lever gun is it you hit yourself in the shoulder with the front sight.

If you try this with a Winchester 1892 action, centrifical force will lift the nose of the round upward and the bolt will try to close on it. It might work OK with an 1873, or 1866 type action.
The '92 used by Chuck Connors in The Rifleman has a specially modified bolt to overcome this problem.

Avenger
July 13, 2007, 08:19 PM
Can't recall the name of the movie, but it was a police drama type of early 90s B movie. A secondary character is in a shoot-out, and has a failure to fire with his automatic. He crouches down behind cover (an empty plastic trash can, of course). He drops the mag in the pistol, which is at least realistic, then proceeds to attempt to clear the apparently jammed round by HOLDING THE BARREL AND SLIDE WHILE REPEATEDLY SMASHING THE GUN HANDLE AGAINST HIS FOREHEAD!!!!
It's the dichotomy of the one little correct detail (dropping the mag) followed by something that isn't just STUPID, but just plain silly as well.

Avenger
July 13, 2007, 08:22 PM
At the Range, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are at the range practicing. Danny Glover shoots his group and tries to impress Gibson.

Mel Gibson pulls out his Beretta, produced the MEANEST FLINCH, no cycling of the slide, no spent brass coming out of the gun. Meanwhile you hear brass hitting the floor and Gibson produces a smiley face to show for.

I don't have a copy of the movie, but isn't the number of gunshots incorrect for the number of bullet holes as well? I keep hearing that it is, but I'm not willing to pay Blockbuster just to find out.

DixieTexian
July 13, 2007, 10:06 PM
If you try this with a Winchester 1892 action, centrifical force will lift the nose of the round upward and the bolt will try to close on it. It might work OK with an 1873, or 1866 type action.
The '92 used by Chuck Connors in The Rifleman has a specially modified bolt to overcome this problem.
Well, I know it works with my Winchester 94 Trapper. I also know that that front sight can get you in the shoulder if you aren't carefull.

rantingredneck
July 13, 2007, 10:27 PM
nevermind I see I posted the same thing a couple months ago. My memory is not what it used to be :)

Red Dragon
July 13, 2007, 11:39 PM
I've always loved seeing the "battery operated" machine guns and sub guns that had a full-auto click-click-click-click-click when the gun ran out of ammo, the shotgun that sends the bad guy flying through a solid wood door, how when a good guy becomes a bad guy, somehow he has now lost any and all accuracy he had as a good guy...

I tried to catch all the stuff I could as the weapons technical advisor on the independent film I'm working on. For the most part, I've been able to keep it fairly accurate gun wise but unfortunately technical accuracy and director's personal vision don't always share the same space and time so I couldn't get all of it. (for instance, sometimes he told the actors to put their fingers on the triggers after I told em to keep em off the triggers) That's showbiz I guess

Tommygunn
July 14, 2007, 12:58 AM
Quote:

Well, I know it works with my Winchester 94 Trapper. I also know that that front sight can get you in the shoulder if you aren't carefull.

Ooooops, yes, it will work with the '94 design, too. I recall reading some gun writer's article about handling one of the rifles Connors used in The Rifleman series. The author spun it like Connors did -- and the front sight caught his shirt at the shoulder! Connors didn't have this problem because he was a tall lanky fellow, but us mere mortals had best beware!:D

DixieTexian
July 14, 2007, 02:31 AM
How's this for gun handling?:evil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktNuLtuer7A&NR=1

MarkDido
July 14, 2007, 08:58 AM
Well, Al Gore made a movie, so I GUESS we could consider him "Hollywood"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/markdido/Gore.jpg

MarkDido
July 14, 2007, 09:04 AM

Yeah, but the sight of Jamie Lee doing the "Pole Dance" on the bed post makes it worth it! :evil:

bensdad
July 14, 2007, 09:26 AM
There's a wonderful old movie called Silverado. In it, one of the good guys shoots another good guy's gun... while he's holding it... from about 100 yds off... with a revolver... to get his attention. GG 2 looks to see who shot him, GG 1 points to the left, GG 2 gives a thumbs up and shoots BG.

operator114
July 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
The Simpsons, when Homer uses his gun to do everthing including as a TV remote.

GeezerwithGuns
July 14, 2007, 11:44 AM
I grew up watching Gene Autry and Hopalong Cassidy (really "dating" myself here - :p).

Since I've become a gun collector I've been searching the auction sites for one of those 24-shot SAA's........ ;)

akodo
July 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
Miracle Mile, the "Harry" played by the actor who did Dr Greene on E.R. gets a phone call by mistake from a nuclear silo operator who is trying to call his dad and warn of nuclear war just starting...but it hasn't been reported by any media yet. Harry then goes to find this girl he loves, to get out of the city in the middle of the night before everyone wakes up, panics, and cannot get out.

Plan goes to hell.

Eventually it is dawn and the city is starting to wake up, they have a helocopter on a roof waiting to take off, he has got to go get the pilot, she has to go get her mom or something, he hands her a snub revolver, the grips have been knocked off.

"A GUN! I hate GUNS!"

"Don't worry, it's not loaded. I don't even think it works any more"

"Oh, OKAY!"

she then grabs the gun and runs through the crowd holding it in front of her or sometimes holding it over her head, sometimes pointing it and clicking it at people to get them to get out of the way.

In some ways this is a very stupid but very accurate description of how many people would treat a gun. For many, it is a magical tailsman, inheriently frightening, and see a need for all of them to be destroyed because of the harm they could do. And yet, even the 'bluff' of 'get out of my way or I will kill you' is an assault, and these same people who hate guns and want them all gone are the very first ones to grab one up and misuse it.

Avenger
July 14, 2007, 12:48 PM
OMG what movie did that link in #128 come from? That has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in YEARS!

BTW another thing that bothers me is the old "Superman" serials, with George Reeves. The bad guy empties the revolver at the Man of Steel, who puffs his chest out as the bullets shatter on it, chuckling softly to himself at the impacts, sparkly bits flying everywhere. Then the bad guy, obviously driven into a desperate action by the obvious impotence of his little .38, proceeds to throw said revolver at Superman.....WHO DODGES IT!!!!!

I mean okay, IRL a .38 upside the head does hurt a bit, but ole George's chest was padded out, and a wooden stage revolver would be easy enough to make.

Tommygunn
July 14, 2007, 01:59 PM
How's this for gun handling?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktNuLtuer7A&NR=1

That was wicked. But...hmmm, when the gun, er, ah..."came out of his pants and started shooting" the well, the slide recoiling...it's gonna leave a mark!!!!!:what::evil::D

44AMP
July 14, 2007, 09:03 PM
And most have been mentioned already. Either bad gun handling, or bad technical editing (sound mostly), or jus plain bad judgement.

The accidental shooting in Pulp Fiction. Very good actually, clearly showing what can happen when you point a gun at someone while just "talking".

The sniper shot in Saving Private Ryan, while many scoff at the whole "shooting through the bad guy's scope", it has been done in real life (Gunny Hathcock in Vietnam). But look close, and you will see the "sniper" in Pvt Ryan actually appearing to adjust the objective lens of his scope (parallax), while talking about "windage and elevation".

One really ridiculous one I remember, although I can't remember the name of the movie was on the Scifi channel. The Germans had created a giant monster, complete with giant German helmet, and in one scene, a GI confronts the monster, and throws away his rifle, to draw a pair of pistols! Which didn't have any effect either.

And while this tread is about bad gun handling, I would like to mention one example of good gun handling, in a most unexpected place. In the movie Sahara,the sidekick character picks up a dropped AK 47, and while hiding behind a truck fof cover, pops out and checks the mag, then reseats it and chambers a round! A few of the other things are ok as well, but I do draw the line at shooting down a helicopter with a civil war era cannon (and powder) that have been buried in the desert for over a century!

And while the sound of guns has been mentioned, one thing not mentioned is the sound of guns on people. Firing a pistol in a room or hallway, let alone an assault rifle, and you will not be having a normal conversation a couple of minutes later.
One more thing, check the shooting range scene in Lethal Weapon closely, and you may notice that the "bullet holes" making the "smiley face" are not only neat perfectly rounds circles, but they don't even go all the way through the paper!

Don't, don't, don't get your ideas about guns, laws, medicine, cars, or even basic physics from movies and TV! If you do, sooner or later, reality will come along and bite you, painfully!

Landlocked Pirate
July 14, 2007, 09:50 PM
There's a wonderful old movie called Silverado. In it, one of the good guys shoots another good guy's gun... while he's holding it... from about 100 yds off... with a revolver... to get his attention. GG 2 looks to see who shot him, GG 1 points to the left, GG 2 gives a thumbs up and shoots BG.

He actually shot the wall beside him, not his gun (I just watched that scene to make sure).

taliv
July 14, 2007, 09:54 PM
oddly enough, most of the movies i've seen lately even though they still have little grasp of physics, have much better handling skills. specifically, i'm not seeing the cup n saucer hold much anymore and i'm not seeing the finger on the trigger constantly

If you enjoyed reading about "What are the dumbest gun handling skills you've seen in hollywood movies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!