Crimp Question?

PDA

mallc
April 28, 2007, 04:49 PM
New reloader here.

This is my first batch and I'm getting blue/grey smoke that I don't get with Winchester factory loads. My loads also feel a bit soft compared to factory. I'm loading 9mm at 4.5g / 124g on a Dillon 650 using Winchester powder. I'm wondering if its the powder or maybe I've not set the crimp tight enough??

Also looking for recommendation for a tasty powder for FMJ 45 ACP I'm gonna feed to Kimber.

Thanks,
Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Crimp Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alucard0822
April 28, 2007, 04:59 PM
what powder? WSF or 231 lead, plated or jacketed? 9mm and 45 are not really "crimped" more so that the case is straightened after belling the mouth

alucard0822
April 28, 2007, 05:24 PM
my favorite 45 loads are 5gr of 231 under a 230gr rainier for plinking/target or 5gr of bullseye over a 230gr jacketed for plinking/target and for a screaming 50 yd load 10gr of hs-6 over a 155gr LSWC (chronoed at 1100fps)

Steve C
April 28, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm getting blue/grey smoke that I don't get with Winchester factory loads. My loads also feel a bit soft compared to factory. I'm loading 9mm at 4.5g / 124g on a Dillon 650 using Winchester powder. I'm wondering if its the powder or maybe I've not set the crimp tight enough??
You don't say what type of bullet you are using, cast or jacketed or which Winchester powder (WSF or W231). If using a lead bullet the smoke you are seeing is most likely from the bullet lube.

If using a 124gr jacketed bullet using your load may be a little light. Powders generally have a level of pressure where they burn the best and often this isn't at a start load but somewhere a little higher but less than maximum.

To load factory level velocities a better power would be Alliant Power Pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crimp Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!