OT: Favorite Two Western Movies...

PDA

chad1043
April 28, 2007, 06:06 PM
My top 2 Western movies are:

Unforgiven...

Open Range...

Chad

If you enjoyed reading about "OT: Favorite Two Western Movies..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AK103K
April 28, 2007, 06:14 PM
The Wild Bunch

Blazing Saddles

andrewdl007
April 28, 2007, 06:19 PM
100% agree with AK103K. The Searchers would also have to tie for second.

Quintin Likely
April 28, 2007, 06:23 PM
The Outlaw Josie Wales
And while they aren't one movie, I like the Man With No Name trilogy - A Fistful of Dollars, a Few Dollars More, and the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

And in Arfcom terminology, IBTL.

rugbyer81
April 28, 2007, 06:27 PM
Open Range and El Dorado

News Shooter
April 28, 2007, 06:38 PM
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
Fort Apache

Griffin1340
April 28, 2007, 06:55 PM
Pale Rider
The Wild Bunch
Open Range
Silverado
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
*Outlaw Josey Wales* My choice of best western ever! Except for Sondra Locke being in it:barf:

Dixie_Amazon
April 28, 2007, 07:03 PM
Silverado & Outlaw Josey Wales. At the risk of dating myself I saw Josey Wales at a drive-in!

copaup
April 28, 2007, 07:04 PM
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven

PotatoJudge
April 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
The Quick and the Dead
Tombstone

MT GUNNY
April 28, 2007, 07:17 PM
tombstone
and any movie with clint eastwood

22LongRifle
April 28, 2007, 07:22 PM
Big Jake

True Grit

Jerry

statelineblues
April 28, 2007, 07:31 PM
The Shootist

El Dorado

craigs380
April 28, 2007, 08:09 PM
My favorite, Conaugher or Conager(sp?) with Sam Elliot and Katherine Ross. Just a good simple western.

Other favorites, Quigley Down Under, Monte Walsh both with Tom Selleck. Chato's Land with Charles Bronson and IIRC Clint Eastwood. There is another movie with Selleck, Elliot, and Ross in it and I think it was The Sacketts.

There was a TV series called The High Chapparel that was pretty good. The Lonesome Dove Mini Series' was good including prequel and sequels.

glockman19
April 28, 2007, 08:13 PM
Silverado & Outlaw Josey Wales. At the risk of dating myself I saw Josey Wales at a drive-in!

I too liked both movies and I also saw Outlaw Josey Wales at a drive-in. Those were the days. You're in good company.

FPrice
April 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
Open Range.

Tombstone.

El Dorado/Rio Bravo.

Last Stand at Saber River.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Just about anything with John Wayne or Tom Selleck. Jimmy Stewart did a bunch also.

Just two? No way.

edited to add: The Rough Riders. Tom Berenger was Teddy Roosevelt.

TYY
April 28, 2007, 08:38 PM
Unforgiven
Fistful of Dollars

honorable mention: The Searchers

wooderson
April 28, 2007, 08:43 PM
Tombstone
The Wild Bunch

ken grant
April 28, 2007, 08:52 PM
Lonesome Dove
Searchers

steveno
April 28, 2007, 08:55 PM
the Ox Bow Incident and High Noon. both in black and white for you youngsters

iamkris
April 28, 2007, 09:16 PM
Ain't no such thing as only two favorite westerns...

Tombstone
El Dorado
Quigley
Outlaw Josey Wales
Rio Bravo
McLintock
Open Range

tbtrout
April 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
Open Range and Tombstone

floridaboy
April 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
Unforgiven and El Dorado.

Mr White
April 28, 2007, 09:32 PM
Outlaw Josie Wales and Open Range. Open Range was only an OK movie, but The Gunfight was the best western movie gunfight ever.

CA357
April 28, 2007, 09:50 PM
Tombstone
Open Range
The Frisco Kid (comedy with Gene Wilder and a very young Harrison Ford)

chad1043
April 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
I think we will all agree that the fight scene in the end of Open Range was one of the best done in recent history. It was pretty close to how I think it would have looked.

The closing scene in Unforgiven was cold and classic.

The mountain scenes from Pale Rider were spectacular.

I remember watching a cowboy movie with Paul Newman in which a stage coach gets robbed and they end up hiking miles to a mill? And He ends up going down to free a woman, but gets shot in the end... What was the name of that movie?

Chad

koja48
April 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
All of the above, PLUS . . .

Quigley Down Under
Tell Them Valdez Is Coming

Sorry, can't limit it to 2 . . .

FPrice
April 28, 2007, 11:11 PM
I remember watching a cowboy movie with Paul Newman in which a stage coach gets robbed and they end up hiking miles to a mill? And He ends up going down to free a woman, but gets shot in the end... What was the name of that movie?

Hombre.

torpid
April 28, 2007, 11:13 PM
I remember watching a cowboy movie with Paul Newman in which a stage coach gets robbed and they end up hiking miles to a mill? And He ends up going down to free a woman, but gets shot in the end...

Ouch!
Did he have trouble sitting after that?

Abndoc
April 28, 2007, 11:17 PM
Outlaw Josie Wales
True Grit

nwilliams
April 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
Unforgiven
&
Pale Rider

But Tombstone and Silverado are great to, its a tough question to answer.

Vairochana
April 28, 2007, 11:33 PM
I used to like Tombstone a lot, I watched it recently however and found myself disliking it a lot.
The Earp family (in the film) seemed no better than the cowboys and even managed to come off looking worse, there was nothing noble about them. They muscled their way into town enforced their will upon everyone at gun point (after disarming everyone in town I should add) and finally hunted down and killed anyone wearing rival "colours"; the cowboy sash. in the end I was rooting for the cowboys.

Having had my rant I love the Clint Eastwood nameless wanderer movies.

gengarnett
April 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
Lonesome Dove and Tombstone

eerr...can't help myself........eerrghh Il buono il brutto, il cattivo, The Wild Bunch, The Searchers, Butch Cassidy, The long Riders.................DAmn! I love westerns!

Leanwolf
April 28, 2007, 11:50 PM
"Shane"

&

"The Searchers."

Plus about 20 more. :)

L.W.

hksw
April 28, 2007, 11:52 PM
Magnificent Seven (and the original Seven Samurai)
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

gengarnett
April 28, 2007, 11:55 PM
Not sure I agree with the portayal of "tombstone" but you are correct about the ambiguities of the real history of this issue. You might want to check out a few books on the Earps in Tombstone. I have recently read John Myery Myers book on Doc Holiday, wyatt Earp "the life behind the legend" by Casey Tefertiller, Doc Holliday "the life and legend" by Gary Roberts, and "Doc Holliday: A family portrait" by Karen Holliday Tanner.

It is true that the Tombstone troubles between the Cowboys and Earps was not completely about white hats and black. One thing you learn is there was a lot of politics involved. It might seem odd to people who romanticize westerns, but one of the biggest divides was between Republicans (Earps) and Democrats (Cowboys).

Now for my personal opinion, I do think the Earps were largely in the right. The Cowboys were mostly horse theives, although most stolen horses were considered "fair game" Mexican horses. But you are very correct that reality often blurs "good and bad" lines, but the thing is, reality is much more interesting. Also, compared to many tombstone type movies that came before, "Tombstone" is more true to history. Yet, the movie of course is way way off from true history, much of what is still debated in scholarly works today.

FYI, there is even a recent book defending Sherrif Behan called "Sacrificed Sherrif" by bob alexander. I own this book but it is still in the que.

Gustav
April 28, 2007, 11:55 PM
The Unforgiven
The Shootist
and for a Southern Quiqley Down Under

hso
April 29, 2007, 01:17 AM
As the OP himself indicated, OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "OT: Favorite Two Western Movies..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!