Scratched up stainless: How to "fix"

PDA

grizz
April 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
I scratched up the stainless steel receiver of my new Marlin 336 XLR carrying it on a sling. The receiver must have been rubbing against a metal rivet on my jeans, or maybe a buckle on my backpack. The scratches are NOT deep.

What can I use to "brush" the scratches out of the steel, or blend the whole side of the receiver to match? Again these aren't deep; they are really only visable when I hold the rifle at certain angles.

Steel wool?

I'm thankful for any help. Just a bit OCD about my firearms.

Thanks,
Grizz

If you enjoyed reading about "Scratched up stainless: How to "fix"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Horsemany
April 28, 2007, 09:51 PM
I have had good results with Flitz polishing compound. It's available at most gun shops and hardware stores. It is a very fine polishing compound for everything from auto paint to metals. It will remove rust without damaging the bluing (on blued guns) as well. You need to go easy with it though. Go a little at a time. I have seen pics online of guys who polished stainless revolvers with Flitz until they looked like chrome. Just use a little on a rag or paper towel and check every few seconds of polishing so you don't make it more shiny than you want. I think it would be less harsh than steel wool too. Good luck.

HeavyDuty
April 28, 2007, 09:53 PM
Assuming your gun has a brushed finish, go up to the hardware store and get a Scotchbrite pad designed for metal - mine is brown in color. I learned this trick from Ruger years ago.

Rangr44
April 28, 2007, 10:13 PM
IMHO, the green ScotchBrite pad would match the finish on your Marlin.

grizz
April 29, 2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the help!

351 WINCHESTER
April 29, 2007, 04:54 PM
Once you start polishing, you probably won't be able to match the factory finish, so count on doing the entire rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scratched up stainless: How to "fix"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!