Crazy ebay shipping

PDA

layusn1
April 28, 2007, 09:01 PM
I have seen some crazy @ss shipping on ebay before but $65 for 15 plastic bins?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Storage-bins-AKrobins-AKRO-MILS-30240-Lot-of-15-used_W0QQitemZ190106464762QQihZ009QQcategoryZ57005QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD7VQQcmdZViewItem

If you enjoyed reading about "Crazy ebay shipping" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stormspotter
April 28, 2007, 09:09 PM
If it sells cheap, they can still make a little (or more) on shipping.

ReloaderFred
April 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
A guy was selling a motorized bullet sizer/luber last week, with no minimum bid. In the fine print, he said there was a $1,000.00 handling charge, no exceptions. No misprint, ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR handling charge.

Read the fine print before bidding. I always state the shipping on my auctions, so there's no doubt about what it's going to cost the winning bidder.

Fred

Grumulkin
April 28, 2007, 09:36 PM
A guy was selling a motorized bullet sizer/luber last week, with no minimum bid. In the fine print, he said there was a $1,000.00 handling charge, no exceptions. No misprint, ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR handling charge.

The guy was probably trying to avoid eBay listing and sales fees by priceing the item low and making up the rest in handling fees. I suspect that if eBay was aware of what he did, the listing would probably be pulled.

Walkalong
April 28, 2007, 10:02 PM
$1,000.00 handling charge :what:

I'd croak. :)

Mal H
April 28, 2007, 10:15 PM
layusn1 - if you want the bins, you should email the seller about the exorbitant shipping price the UPS calculator comes up with. They shouldn't cost more than $15 to $20 at most to ship and that's only because they are fairly bulky, not heavy.

About the bullet sizer/luber, have any of you seen one up close and personal? Maybe $1000 seems a little high, but not all that much considering the bulkiness of it.

ReloaderFred
April 28, 2007, 10:33 PM
I wish I had saved the listing. He wouldn't ship the sizer/luber. You had to pick it up within 6 months, but there was still the $1,000.00 handling charge.

Fred

ilbob
April 28, 2007, 10:42 PM
I always look at the total price including shipping when considering a bid. I also generally avoid sellers who won't take paypal and won't take personal checks. I know they have to eat 2 or 3% to use it, but they could always tack that into the s/h fee if they so desired.

it is a major nuisance to go get a money order. it takes 30 minutes out of my day that I would rather spend on something else.

Mal H
April 28, 2007, 10:45 PM
The $1000 handling fee didn't include shipping? That is on the outrageous side of things indeed!

1911user
April 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
On some auctions, the handling fee is obviously the profit especially on cheap items. I suspect that will be the next area that ebay addresses (regulates) with new rules. It is becoming too widely known how crazy the shipping rates can be on some ebay auctions.

Gustav
April 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
After getting a rude surprise once with a $100 shipping fee I learned to always double check or if need be ask to see exactly how much it costs.:fire:
I avoid buying from some sellers because they do jack the price up too much.:fire:
Let the buyer beware!

Black Snowman
April 28, 2007, 11:38 PM
The reason S&H is so high is because that isn't counted in the calculations when eBay takes their cut of the bid. In order to make placing the bid cheaper, particularly if it doesn't sell, people put their minimum asking price as the S&H. They're not trying to trick you, they're just trying to keep eBay from taking so much of their money.

Car Knocker
April 28, 2007, 11:41 PM
They're not trying to trick you, they're just trying to keep eBay from taking so much of their money.
If they're willing to blatantly cheat Ebay out of the listing fee, then they're willing to cheat whoever has the winning bid.

Black Snowman
April 28, 2007, 11:51 PM
Well, as always, caveat emptor. ;) Agreed that a seller willing to try to cheat eBay is most likely willing to do the same to you.

Mal H
April 28, 2007, 11:58 PM
Sorry folks, this one needs to be closed. Any discussion that was vaguely on topic for THR, and especially for the reloading forum, appears to be over. Now the only topic is ebay policies and S&H fee cheating.

If you enjoyed reading about "Crazy ebay shipping" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!