Kel Tec New Products for 2003: News

PDA

Matt G
January 7, 2003, 05:48 PM
Well, after much speculation about the new Kel Tec products in such threads as This one in Rifle (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1924), I decided to just email the company and ask: Does the SUR-16 (which has ads out already) take M-16/AR mags? And what's the other new product? And today, here's what I got back from Kel-Tec:

Thank you for your email.

Yes! The new SU-16 will accept AR-15 and M-16 mags. We hope to begin shipping
in May of this year.

Also new for this year is the P-3AT .380 cal pistol. It's just a tiny bit larger than
our P-32. Expected ship date is also May at this time.

Specifications for the new SU-16 and P-3AT are as follows:

P-3AT, SU-16

Weight unloaded: 7.3 oz, 5 lbs
Length 5.16", 37" (Open) 26" (Closed)
Height 3.52",
Width .75",
Barrel Length 2.76", 18"
Capacity 6+1 rounds, 10+1

PPK power in a .25 acp-sized package. And check out the weight of the P-3AT: it's the weight of the P-32, or thereabouts! Also it's very thin, which is important in a deep concealment pistol (and that same figure is the width of the P-32). Too nifty. I hope it works well, and if it does (which is likely), I hope they make a fortune. :)

-MG

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel Tec New Products for 2003: News" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
January 7, 2003, 06:10 PM
Another thread in Handguns, AutoLoaders here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2724

TheeBadOne
January 7, 2003, 06:15 PM
http://www.billstclair.com/blog/keltec-su16.jpg
Now this does look interesting.

Matt G
January 7, 2003, 06:15 PM
Dadgummit! I thought I was first with that! :)

Ah, well, I'll leave this up in General, because it deals with both products.

--M.

BamBam
January 7, 2003, 07:16 PM
For Sale: P-32
WTB: P-3AT

stevesmith7
January 7, 2003, 07:25 PM
Darn, darn,darn. I already have a P32 and a P11, and I reload for
.380 for my CZ83. This means I have to buy ANOTHER gun :confused:
Can't they leave me alone?

Steve

Blackhawk
January 7, 2003, 07:40 PM
I'll leave this up in General, because it deals with both products. Absolutely! The threads are complementary.

After seeing the graphic of the SU-16 TheeBadOne posted on this thread, I want one!

It takes AR-15 magazines I believe, and spares can be stored in the stock. Love that fold down forepiece! :D

Pendragon
January 7, 2003, 08:42 PM
HOLY CRAP I THINK THAT RIFLE IS CALIFORNIA LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(only 1 "evil" feature: detatchable magazine)

JShirley
January 7, 2003, 08:48 PM
Yup. But KT is still deciding whether to sell them in Cali, or not.

sm
January 7, 2003, 08:55 PM
Interesting. KT I think you've been listening and paying attn to gun owners, and sticking your tongue out at the anti's
:D

gun-fucious
January 7, 2003, 09:03 PM
this was on one of my lists:

>The new .223 SU-16 Sport Utility Rifle comes with unique

>features such as:

> -Integrated Picatinny rail.

> -Forend folds down to form a bipod.

> -The stock can store spare magazines.

> -The mechanism and stock can be rotated for added.

> safety or carry under extreme conditions.

> -Utilizes proven M-16 breech locking and feeding system.

> -Accepts AR-15 and M-16 mags.

>

>We have not yet decided to submit the SU-16 to California.

>Technically, this is not a folding rifle. When it is in the

>folded position, it is not folded but, disassembled. You must

>remove a pin to disassemble it (or, fold it) and it absolutely

>cannot be fired when disassembled. However, when it is

>disassembled (or, folded) it does measure less than 30".

>

>Because California has passed a new law allowing people to sue

>the manufacturer when a gun gets in the wrong hands and is used

>in a crime, it is very possible that we will not allow sales in

>California at all. It is still yet to be determined.

>

>Suggested retail is $640.00.

>We hope to begin shipping the new SU-16 in May of this year.

>Please contact your local dealers now for backorder information.

>

>Also new for this year is the P-3AT .380 cal pistol. It's just

>a tiny bit larger than our P-32. Expected ship date is also May

>at this time. Suggested retail is $305.00 for the "blued" model.

>

>Specifications for the new P-3AT and SU-16 are as follows:

>

>__________________P-3AT________SU-16

>Weight unloaded:__7.3 oz______5 lbs

>Length____________5.16"______37"/26" open/closed

>Height___________3.52"

>Width____________.75"

>Barrel Length____2.76"_________18"

>Capacity________6+1 rnds_____10+1 rnds

>

>Thank You!

Pendragon
January 7, 2003, 09:21 PM
>Because California has passed a new law allowing people to sue

>the manufacturer when a gun gets in the wrong hands and is used

>in a crime, it is very possible that we will not allow sales in

>California at all. It is still yet to be determined

Sigh.

Its not like I can afford it right now anyway. Probably will not be buying such things until I get out of here anyhow.

I'm depressed :banghead: :cuss: :fire: :mad:

cpileri
January 7, 2003, 10:05 PM
I'd still buy a P32 right now if anyone had one to sell me nearby. Maybe the 32's price will come down with the advent of the 380.

or...

maybe the 380 will be legal in MD!

Cool.
C-

Matt G
January 7, 2003, 10:38 PM
"maybe the 380 will be legal in MD!"

"very possible that we will not allow sales in California at all."

Gawd bless you all. (sigh)

I'm at a loss for words. I forget that there are levels of Hell that I've never endured.

:(

Redlg155
January 7, 2003, 10:51 PM
All I hope is that they get most of the bugs worked out of the new .380 prior to releasing to the open market.

Seems like they only got half of it right. Excellent customer service. Spotty quality.

I'd pay an extra 10 bucks a gun to have someone test fire a couple of mags through. My former P32 didn't last two mags through before the mag release and spring popped out.

Still, I'm glad they are coming out with new products. It gives me something to look forward to.

Good Shooting
RED

J.Gillespie
January 7, 2003, 10:55 PM
DANG! So many guns to buy, so little funds to buy with. I was just getting ready to buy a P-32...guess I will hold out for a few months for a P-3AT. Especially since the dimensions are close to the P-32.
Have you all noticed that buying firearms is like buying a new car or truck? The next year you get a better, lighter, tougher body style....well, except for S&W...OHHH!! did I say that?:neener:

Airwolf
January 7, 2003, 11:46 PM
HOLY CRAP I THINK THAT RIFLE IS CALIFORNIA LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(only 1 "evil" feature: detatchable magazine)

I'll bet you 10 bucks that if they decide to sell it here some (expletive deleted) in Sacramento will introduce a bill to ban it by name... or Lockyer will simply try to make an "administrative change" to the AW list.

If they DO put it on the market, I’ll be first in line to place an order. We need to send a clear message to Kel-Tec (and others) that efforts like this will be rewarded.

Zundfolge
January 8, 2003, 01:17 AM
Suggested retail is $640.00.

There's the major downside to this rifle ... for about the same (or only a little more) I can have an AR15.

If they could price this thing down around $400 they would sell like hotcakes!

Zander
January 8, 2003, 01:25 AM
Well, I hate to poke any of y'all in the ribs if you are already drooling over the SU-16, but one of the gunsmiths at K-T has confirmed to a buddy of mine that the rifle will take AR mags.

Further, it is not in production yet...and is likely not to be until well after the SHOT Show.

Let the quest begin! :cool:

bastiat
January 8, 2003, 01:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggested retail is $640.00.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's the major downside to this rifle ... for about the same (or only a little more) I can have an AR15.

If they could price this thing down around $400 they would sell like hotcakes!

MSRP on the P11 is about $300, and you can get them at CDNN for $199, so if you assume street price as about 66% of retail, you should be able to get the SU-16 for about $425, assuming demand doesn't drive that up.

And yes, that really does remind me of a little BAR. Yet another gun added to 'the list'.

Zundfolge
January 8, 2003, 02:06 AM
I showed a buddy of mine in the PRK this thread and he asked a good question;

"If they don't sell it here in California and it's still legal, couldn't you just purchase it in another state and bring it here?"

Blackhawk
January 8, 2003, 02:06 AM
An M-16 folder weighing in at 5 pounds with a 18" barrel that goes down to 26" and stows its own mags? With an integrated bipod? That sucker is a survival rifle!

If it shoots anywhere near like an M-16A1 on semi, I gotta have one just for sentimental reasons! :neener:

It's also going to open up a new line of accessories. :neener:

I wonder if George designed it or if he's added another wunderkind to his design department?

Blackhawk
January 8, 2003, 02:10 AM
"If they don't sell it here in California and it's still legal, couldn't you just purchase it in another state and bring it here?" Does that federal law prohibiting crossing state lines for that only apply to handguns? The text of the law was posted on THR a day or two ago, I think.

Pendragon
January 8, 2003, 05:37 AM
Non AW rifles are not "regulated" in CA - insofar as you can bring in any non AW rifle that you like.

AWs are essentially anything by name on a big long list and any rifle with more than one "evil" feature: the usual killers are the combo of pistol grip and detatchable mag. So if it takes mags, no pistol grip, no flash supressor and no grenade launchers :rolleyes: .

I could have my uncle in UT buy one legally and then sell it to me - all above board.

Until CA bans it by name which seems likely.

RoyRapoport
January 8, 2003, 07:07 AM
Oh.
My.
God.

I want one of them rifles.

Airwolf
January 8, 2003, 08:13 AM
I'm sure a LOT of people trapped in ********** are drooling over the prospects of this one. I for one am. Our choices for mag fed .223/5.56 semi-autos is pretty much limited to the Mini-14. :banghead:

Go Kel-Tec!

Sactown
January 8, 2003, 03:09 PM
Being in Kali, I hope that KT sells it here. They'd be missing a huge market where the only other choice is a Mini-14. I hope the SU-16 is more accurate than the Mini-14. Even if KT made a non folding version I think it would be a winner if the accuracy and price were right.

Big Al
January 8, 2003, 04:34 PM
:D (wringing hands with delight)

I can't wait to get my mitts on that P3AT (imaginative name)! I just hope they don't become WAAAY overpriced like the P-32s did when the "craze" for them first hit. Ditto on the SU-16 - might end up being my first .223 rifle.

PS the P3AT name seems to explain itself - What do you think "SU" in SU-16 stands for? Sport Utility?

NJ3
January 8, 2003, 05:52 PM
P3AT, I never put any thought in the name until now. :o

I guess SU could be "Sport Utility".:D

Dave Markowitz
January 8, 2003, 05:57 PM
M-16 mags aren't the greatest, but good quality ones are available in quantity at reasonable prices. If this thing sells for under $500 on the street, and it works well, I predict that it's going to put a serious dent in the sales of Mini-14s. I like my Mini, but good quality standard cap mags are at least 2x the price of GI M-16 30 round mags.

chaim
January 13, 2003, 04:36 AM
maybe the 380 will be legal in MD! That would be nice but I doubt it. Kel Tec didn't ship their guns with fired cases so when MD discontinued letting dealers pay someone to fire them at a State Police lab Kel Tec handguns already became essentially banned in MD. Now with the built-in lock law, it ain't gonna happen.:banghead:

Too bad too. I'd love one of those. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel Tec New Products for 2003: News" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!