Folks really carry all that stuff?

PDA

Nightcrawler
June 18, 2003, 05:02 AM
On various threads here and on TFL, I've seen people describe the things they carry on a daily basis, and offering up lots of tips about what are "must-haves" in terms of personal security.

Now, one's personal security depends on one's environment. In my little town of 1,000 or so people (total about 5000 if you count the surrounding small towns), especially in my little neighborhood on the end of town, we haven't had a home invasion...well, ever, that I can recall. One might have occured when I was young that I don't remember, but certainly nothing recently. People don't lock their doors at night around here. Nearly everyone has a gun, if nothing else, a shotgun or rifle for hunting, and any potential ne'er-do-wells know this full well.

As such, the threat is low. My home defense gun is a single shot 12 gauge I keep taped to the back of my dresser, easily accessable from my bed, with extra shells on hand.

However, when I was staying with a friend who lived in a more, erm, exciting neighborhood in another state, I kept a loaded .45 close at hand at night. Didn't feel too safe without it.

On the same token, here's what I've heard some people describe as the stuff they take with them when they go out. This is an amalgamation of sorts, but I swear to God I've seen people say they carry all of this at once.

-The usual stuff. Wallet, keys, etc.
-SureFire Brand Flashlight. (Always a SureFire...you're not tactical without it.)
-Sidearm w/ 2 reloads (usually a semiauto, either a Glock or a jazzed up 1911).
-OC spray
-Cell Phone
-Expensive Folding Knive
-Multitool
-Baton (some people carry 'em...usually a collapsing one)
-Back up gun (some prefer the New York Reload)

Okay. I don't have a cell phone, so my normal load is my wallet and my car keys. That will be supplemented when I get my CCW, but since I live on campus most of the year and guns are illegal on campus...I'm not in a big hurry.

So, how much of this type of stuff do you folks carry on a day to day basis? How on earth do you cover it all up? And do you need suspenders to keep your pants up? :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Folks really carry all that stuff?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rob96
June 18, 2003, 05:46 AM
I carry a sidearm amd spare reload, knfe or multi-tool, cell phone.

swingset
June 18, 2003, 06:16 AM
I carry the following:

Keys
Wallet
Cell Phone
Wet Wipes
Multi-Tool
If Ohio gets it's act together, add a .40 to that!

Very little I've come across yet these won't take care of! :D

Feanaro
June 18, 2003, 06:19 AM
Many large pockets my friend. :)

LiquidTension
June 18, 2003, 08:38 AM
Cargo pants are my best friend :D I practically have to have cargo pockets just to carry my wallet (it is HUGE because of the size of one of my IDs - FBI size). So here's what I carry daily -

keys
big wallet
CRKT M16-13Z
cell phone
commander frame 1911
spare mag
gum or mints
sometimes a surefire G2, depending on whether I will be out at night

All of these things are required, especially when I'm working. Sometimes I have to talk to people, and they're generally more receptive when they aren't being knocked down by bad breath that accumulates when you've been away from home for 6+ hours. No OC spray or handcuffs or anything like that. Sometimes there is a Mossy 500 in the trunk if I have to go to a particularly "exciting" part of town.

[edit] Oh yeah, forgot about the Oakley M Frames (no Skunk, I don't have the carbon fiber Oakleys), swiss army knife on the keychain, and bottle opener.

LiquidTension
June 18, 2003, 08:39 AM
Oh yeah, I just use a good belt to hold my pants up. Everything is easily concealed beneath an untucked shirt.

[edit] I carry nothing in my back pockets, everything is in front pockets and cargo pockets. I would carry my wallet in a back pocket, but it is way too big. Everything else would break or hurt if I sit on it (phone, keys).

Ol' Badger
June 18, 2003, 08:45 AM
Wallet (Slim. Have no Money)
Keys
Watch (Timex)
Swiss Army Knife (Front Right Pocket)
Benchmade Mod. 650 (Right Back Pocket)
Muti-Tool (Lift Hip)
Those items are daily. When I think I need it...
Colt Govt. Mod. .380 (No Spare Mags)
Boy Scout Motto: Be Perpared!

Oh yea. One Condom in Wallet. The expiration date on it is still good for a few more years before I have to throw it out.

;)

Matt1911
June 18, 2003, 08:54 AM
Wallet
Keys
Folding knife
Tauras tracker in 357
2 speedloaders
cell phone
Yes, it's a pain,and i 'm still trying to fiqure out the best way to haul all this around:D

RCS
June 18, 2003, 09:01 AM
Nightcrawler,

Think Royal Robbins 5.11 pants or shorts w/wilderness nylon belt. If you need more carry room, add a RR 5.11 vest.

Works for me;)

regards

280PLUS
June 18, 2003, 09:05 AM
wallet with ccw

hopefully some $

.32 snubbie

keys

uh, thats it!

:D

ol' badger said,

"Oh yea. One Condom in Wallet. The expiration date on it is still good for a few more years before I have to throw it out."

LMAO...mine expired :(

:neener:

Tamara
June 18, 2003, 09:18 AM
The following stuff, plus the usual impedimentia of day-to-day life (Leatherman Juice kf4, PDA, cell phone, assorted toiletries & cosmetic stuff, purse debris, a wallet-like thingie...)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=332767

The P-232 (or other small pocket gun) goes in a vest or jacket pocket, 1911 on strong-side hip IWB, 296 in purse, Sebenza and Commander in pockets, Bitterroot on keychain.

TarpleyG
June 18, 2003, 09:36 AM
Here is what I usually carry. The exception is when I go to work and while at work for the guns.

-Wallet
-Keys
-SureFire 6P or E1 depending
-Kimber Pro Carry or Kel-Tec P11
-Cell Phone
-INExpensive Folding Knive (CRKT M16)
-"Tactical" Luminox Captain's Field Watch (had to throw tactical in there somewhere)
-American Flag lapel pin

GT

jthuang
June 18, 2003, 09:45 AM
I guess I'm one of the guilty ones. But, in response to your question, here is HOW I carry all that stuff.

- Right front pocket: S&W M342 in Kramer pocket holster

- Right rear pocket: 2 HKS speedloaders. Clipped to this pocket is a Spyderco Delica/Endura.

- Left front pocket: wallet, money clip, Eclipse flash strips. Clipped to this pocket is a Spyderco Delica.

- Left rear pocket: keys, Brunton Helios lighter, Buck Mini-Bucktool. Clipped to this pocket is a Surefire E2e/E2 (E2e in HA green for days when I'm wearing brown shoes/belt, E2 in black when wearing black shoes/belt).

Cell phone is usually on one of those plastic belt holsters. Yes, I know it looks dumb. If in a pinch, I'll put it in my left rear pocket (Startac is small enough).

Advantages:

NO cargo pants required.

NO cover garment required.

Business casual dress code COMPLIANT.

SATISFIES "one gun, one place, all the time" requirement -- because this method is good in 100+ degree weather (change to dress shorts with pleated fronts and roomy pockets) down to below freezing (can get to gun without going through bulky cover garment). NO need to switch guns/carry locations due to weather.

Secret is to buy dress khakis/shorts with pleated fronts and roomy pockets. Prefer khakis from LL Bean and Structure. Avoid J. Crew chinos.

Justin

sorny
June 18, 2003, 09:48 AM
For now I have my wallet in left, back (I'm a lefty btw), pocket watch, mints/gum, and pen in left, front, and keys/change in right front. My cell phone is sometimes on clipped to my left/front pocket as well, when I carry it.

Of course I don't have my TN carry permit yet (on its way), but when I get it I'll be carrying a Kahr P-40 and probably an extra mag on a single mag pouch. I'm considering buying a mini maglite or something to have on my belt, but nothing that gets in the way, because there's many times I've been out walking the dog in almost pure darkness, stumbling around.

For some reason I don't carry a pocket knife. I need too because I'm always needing one and I never have one, but I just haven't gotten around to getting a pocket sized knife yet.

Kentucky Rifle
June 18, 2003, 10:02 AM
Clipped to left pocket-SS Spyderco "Cricket". (If I'm doing the flying.)
Clipped to right pocket-Sebenza. Or, if I'm flying (myself)--Spyderco Ti 50/50 Salsa. (Dedicated flying knife. Those serrations will cut a stuck seat belt.)
Cell Phone
keys w/Photon Micro Light
Windmill Lighter (I'm not spending a cold night under the wing again! I'm going to build a fire!)
Small leather pouch in my watch pocket contains-nail clippers, Leatherman "Squirt", metal pill vial, AAA Arc light.
Wallet
Handkerchief
Comb
Folded large bandanna (Many uses)
.32 H&R Mag/.38 Special on my hip or my ankle and a Seecamp in a RJ Hedley "Back Pocket" model holster.

KR
That's what's ON me. My flight bag contains a Marlin "Papoose", first aid kit, extra ammo, MRE, "Space Blanket", SOG "Seal Pup" knife, another Windmill lighter, tinder for starting the fire, a little water, and a PALight with a great "strobe" feature. All this stuff was born from the stuff I promised myself I'd carry during that long, cold night after being forced down in the middle on nowhere. Had a lot of time to think. (And shiver.)

Trisha
June 18, 2003, 10:06 AM
Nightcrawler;

It's because I live in a somewhat remote area that I regularly carry the tools I do. A Sheriff's Deputy is at least a half-hour away (if nothing else is going on), and about the same for an ambulance!

A .45 of some sort (+P+ loads and at least two reloads)
My pet .357mag with 5 reloads (you read that right)
Usually two knives
Multi-tool
Flashlight
ASP baton (more often than not)

And what is in my purse is quite a list - and no , I'm not going to go into that!

How do I carry all that? I'm fashion-conscious, dear - didn't you know... ?

Trisha

Norm357
June 18, 2003, 10:11 AM
My turn

ON my belt
Glock M23 at 3 o clock
small can of Fox labs OC at 3:15 or so
spare mag at 8 o clock
cell phone at 10 o clock

pocket knife in my front left pocket

Smith hammerless .38 in my right rear pocket.(I know,bad Norm no holster)

wallet in right rear pocket.

Thats it
Norm out

themic
June 18, 2003, 10:21 AM
always always always in pockets:

keys
wallet (Old Navy)
cell phone (LG)
CRKT Apache III folding knife
pen

often:

bookbag with the latest Atlantic, Economist, current book, and water bottle

sometimes:

RAP 401 IWB on right side

on occasion:

Leatherman on belt

rarely:

flashlight

don't mindcarrying stuff too much. being a medic for 4 years actually changed the way i walk/stand a bit... even new belts dip on the right side after a few days. i don't carry the CCW often because i'm frequently finding myself going to dc or possibly the GW parkway.

Kharn
June 18, 2003, 10:26 AM
I'm in MD (and at college when outside the state), so I'm pretty much disarmed. I've got:
Right front pocket:
Keys with carbiner clipped to belt loop (I have a leather loop on the keychain that lets the keys ride down in my pocket while still clipped on, thus no jingle when I walk)
Chapstick
Right rear: Wallet
Left rear: Comb
Left front: CRKT M16-012Z, maybe a cellphone
Bookbag: 18" ASP and cellphone if its not in my pocket.

I cant wait till I get out of school (1 year!) and can move to a free state. :(

Kharn

Mikul
June 18, 2003, 10:27 AM
(1) CZ-75: in a bellyband behind my right hip.
(2) Gerber EZ-out: clipped to my waistband behind my left hip.
(3) OC Spray 1/2oz: inside my left pocket
(4) Surefire E1: inside my right pocket

My keys are separated into two pockets and all cutsey keychains had to go (too bad, I collect them). My jeans are all 2" larger at the waist than I am.

I am seriously contemplating a Kahr P9 for pocket carry.

firestar
June 18, 2003, 10:32 AM
I hate bulk. My goal is to carry as little as possible and make it as light as possible.

My EVERY day carry is:

* single fold wallet
* keys, just the basic ones I need, car and house.
* Benchmade medium folder. Titanium and carbon fiber, light!
* Kel-Tec P-32 (8 ozs)
* Swiss Army watch

Thats it!
The whole assortment weighs less than two pounds. I can carry the above everyday and almost anywhere.

I laugh at people who claim to carry 16 pounds of gear enveryday. Where do they put it? Do they have bad backs?
:D I guess if you know exactly what your day will be, it is not a big deal to carry a bunch of stuff but most people have to do many different things in a day and they can't have guns falling out of pockets everytime they bend over.

When I feel the need to carry a real gun, I carry my 9mm Star Firestar in addition to the P-32.

Tamara
June 18, 2003, 10:36 AM
I laugh at people who claim to carry 16 pounds of gear enveryday. Where do they put it? Do they have bad backs?

Seems most folks here have explained where it all goes. :)

When I feel the need to carry a real gun, I carry my 9mm Star Firestar in addition to the P-32.

On none of the occasions I've needed a gun did I recieve an engraved invitation in the mail beforehand. I reckon you have a more genteel class of criminal around there. ;)

brownie0486
June 18, 2003, 10:38 AM
sak left front with chapstick, change, folded bills on money clip
edc tactical right front
NAA 380 right front or right rear
wallet left rear
right rear empty
emerson lagriff necker
ocasionally a bladerigger kwaiken on shoulder rig
g-2 sure fire at 9 oclock on the belt
beeper behind the g-2
manrikigarrote and belt

at 4 oclock the 640-1 357 for summer
at 4 oclock the glock 30 for winter

speed strip in watch fob pocket

Brownie

4v50 Gary
June 18, 2003, 11:01 AM
Talk about carrying a lot of stuph. Saw a picture of a Civil War soldier who had two full sized revolvers tucked into his vest and had a special leather belt that held a deringer (or some sort of small pistol). In addition, he was fiercely displaying a huge knife or sword. Clearly early war because by the first march, a lot of the extra weight was discarded.

Kharn
June 18, 2003, 11:06 AM
4v50 Gary:
Might he have been a cavalry soldier?

Kharn

Navy joe
June 18, 2003, 11:14 AM
Because I live a low risk life when out and about I get lazy about spare guns.

Glock 17 with 1 or 2 reloads
2-4 knives/multitools. Never less than 2.
Wallet. My idea of tactical in the wallet is spare cash, spare keys, and a 3-4 foot length of 550 cord shell with a bowline knot at each end. A million and one uses for that. Latest was improvised dog leash. Never used it for its tactical purpose.

I carry everything from tools and fire extinguisher to spare shotgun in my vehicle, and I'm usually not too far from it.

pax
June 18, 2003, 11:18 AM
Chapstick, right front pocket
Keys, right front pocket (or in one of my kids' pockets)
ID and CPL, right rear pocket
G26, IWB right side appendix carry
spare mag, sometimes in mag pouch on left side of belt, sometimes in left front pocket
Benchmade 'Griptilian,' left front pocket
If I remember it, I carry a purse, but there's nothing tactical in it unless you count eyebrow pencils and such. ;)

There's a first aid kit & fire extinguisher in my van, along with maps, spare oil, a jug of water, a blanket, a tire and jack, work-on-the-van tools, and various other important emergency stuff like cold leftover french fries, two or three mismatched dirty socks, and several zillion broken 'happy meal' toys.

pax

Redlg155
June 18, 2003, 11:22 AM
Dang ya'll carry a lot of stuff!:D

Me..just my USP .45 C, a mini Gerber pocketknife and of course keys and wallet.

That's it. I have some emergency gear in the car, but I prefer to go as light and as "streamlined" as possible.

If I have a bad fall I don't want to go out like that guy did in that movie "I'm gonna get you sucka!" :D

Good Shooting
Red

Kobun
June 18, 2003, 12:23 PM
The trick is to get a small cell phone... ;)
K.

280PLUS
June 18, 2003, 12:40 PM
:what:

and thats all i have to say about THAT...

bogie
June 18, 2003, 12:40 PM
Lessee...

Leatherman Wave (pocket)
Kershaw Ken Onion Whirlwind (clipped on right front pocket)
My old swiss army knife (hey, I was a boy scout)
Wallet
Money
Paperback book in case I get stuck somewhere and bored
Cell phone (usually in pocket)

After we get CCW here in Misery, I'll probably add either a five-shot .357 snubbie or a small frame .45 to the load.

Sometimes I'll carry pepper spray, but not a lot.

In the winter I'm more likely to carry significantly more stuff.

Betty
June 18, 2003, 12:49 PM
Today I'm carrying a S&W 640, an NAA Mini .22 mag, a Colt Mustang on my ankle, and a "Superknife" (that cool folding boxcutter). I also have one reload for the 640, and I just bought the Mustang over the weekend and the seller, a friend, still has the spare mags.

http://www.olegvolk.net/runt_pics/misc%20linked%20pics/superknife2.jpg

Normally I carry one main gun plus the Mini, but I just couldn't leave the new one at home. :p

In the purse along with all my girlie-stuff is a Surefire E2E - very handy in finding the missing office cat. :D

mtnbkr
June 18, 2003, 01:12 PM
I don't carry much at all compared to some of you guys...
Today:
Right Front Pocket: Chapstick and Buck Mini-Strider
Left Front Pocket: Keys
Right Hip Pocket: Wallet
Cellphone on beltclip.

If I'm able to carry, I'll have my P32 or S&W 36.

About the only thing in that list that changes on a day to day basis is the knife. Yesterday, it was my Buck PCKS 110, today, it's the mini-Strider, tomorrow might be my Hubertus or one of my custom knives. Some days, I'm worse than a female trying to decide which earrings to wear with an outfit. :D

Chris

dj53
June 18, 2003, 01:15 PM
Strong side Glock 30, weak side one reload
Spyderco Delica with straight blade right front pocket, Delica with serrated blade left front pocket.

Add Surefire Executive at night.

Wallet,keys, cellphone.

All hangs from a good gun belt and in the pockets, you don't notice the weight.

What I REALLY notice is how naked I feel when I take all that stuff off!

Nightcrawler
June 18, 2003, 01:18 PM
I'm working on putting together an emergency kit for the car, seeing as how we're going on a 4,000+ mile road trip (viva Las Vegas!) at the end of the month. First aid kit, and stuff like that. I've though about getting a trunk gun, but then, I live on campus, and I'd always be worrying about it being stolen (in addition to the fact that that'd be illegal on campus).

I've thought about emergency water....it'll work for the trip, since we're not going to be on the road more than 2 weeks, and we'll be driving through the desert in July (so it's a good idea). But you can't just leave water in your car forever. You've gotta change it out every so often (even bottled water has an expiration date) unless you want to get Montezuma's Revenge from drinking it...(F.Y.I.). :D

I had a pocketknife. No, it wasn't a Benchmade brand. Those are expensive. A $20.00 Buck folder I bought from Wal-Mart worked well enough, but I got rid of it. Well, I didn't so much "get rid of it" as much as I "lost it while shoveling horse crap on my mom's farm". I'm really glad it only cost me $20.00.

OC spray....maybe....but it's illegal in MI (you can get some pretty wet toast pepper spray, though.).

Baton? Probably not. Actually, maybe in my school backpack, but not on my belt. (shhh!)

More than one knife? My best friend carries like six at a time, but he's got lots of big jackets with lots of pockets.

Flashlight? Never. I've had one in the car, but I just don't carry one around with me on a day to day basis.

How do I carry all that? I'm fashion-conscious, dear - didn't you know... ?

Um...yes? NO! I don't know? YES! I WANNA CHANGE MY ANSWER! MAYBE!

(Or was that a rhetorical question? ;) )

Partisan Ranger
June 18, 2003, 01:18 PM
In Boston's Gun Bible, the author had a section for what you should carry for your 4th:what: concealed hand gun. Now that is one well-armed dude!

curt
June 18, 2003, 01:20 PM
Some folks are completely comfortable with making choices that result in them carrying a combat load other's not. In my neck of the woods it gets hot and i like to wear shorts and a tshirt which means i compromise on my CCW. Some folks carry 1911s etc year round and don't mind wearing photog vests and cargo pants all of the time.

Me i have a hard enough time remembering my car keys, my wallet and my kids when i go out the door. My wife has gotten used to at least 2 goodbyes from me as i have to return, mumbling to get my sunglasses or my wallet. I usually take a gun tho.

Bobarino
June 18, 2003, 01:24 PM
i carry:

-H&K USP/c .40 in a Blade-Tech IWB
-little clippy wallet thingy in front pocket
-Benchmade AFCK
-keys
-cell phone
-chapstick
-sometimes a spare mag, depending on where i'm going.
-Citizen Navi-Hawk, cuz like Kentucky Rifle, i'm a pilot and we're required to wear big dorky watches.

when i'm flying, well thats a different sroty. i carry pretty everything but the kitchen sink in my flight bag.

Bobby

Skunkabilly
June 18, 2003, 01:34 PM
I'm working on putting together an emergency kit for the car, seeing as how we're going on a 4,000+ mile road trip (viva Las Vegas!) at the end of the month. First aid kit, and stuff like that. I've though about getting a trunk gun, but then, I live on campus, and I'd always be worrying about it being stolen (in addition to the fact that that'd be illegal on campus).

For long term water I'd go with Aqua Blox or Aqua Literz. I've had supermarket water (2.5 gallon tubs) bust on me while in storage. If you plan on just using it up for the trip, just get bottles (budget a gallon per day, 3 days of water bare minimum for emergencies), and resupply as you go.

For the first aid kit, buy a reasonably well-stocked one like the Adventure Medicals, and add stuff as needed such as personal medicine, I like adding allergy medicine in there as well.

I had a pocketknife.

Doesn't Benchmade also make a few cheapie knives? I may get an Emerson Hardwear knife for a beater, I think it's $50 or so.

OC spray....maybe....but it's illegal in MI (you can get some pretty wet toast pepper spray, though.).

WHAT? What do the women carry around?

Baton? Probably not. Actually, maybe in my school backpack, but not on my belt. (shhh!)

Maglight!

Flashlight? Never. I've had one in the car, but I just don't carry one around with me on a day to day basis.

Hey, what do you call a container for dead batteries? A flashlight :D

Schuey2002
June 18, 2003, 02:52 PM
Doesn't Benchmade also make a few cheapie knives? I may get an Emerson Hardwear knife for a beater, I think it's $50 or so.
A few? They make a bunch in the $50-$60 range,Skunk. My favorite's are the BM 550/551 Griptillians.. ;)

greyhound
June 18, 2003, 03:28 PM
Left front: money, 1-fold wallet, chapstick, keys clipped to belt loop

Right front: Gerber EZ Out clipped to pocket, Fox OC

I think a lot of folks (like Me) are flat out addicted to chapstick!

I'm also weird in that I HATE carrying change. I get it out of my pockets ASAP.......

George Hill
June 18, 2003, 03:30 PM
Wallet. Watch. Keys.

Compaq iPaq.
Kershaw Boa.
Beretta 92FS.

Geeze... I seem to travel light compaired to you guys.

Nightcrawler
June 18, 2003, 04:00 PM
My pocketknike was Gerber, not Buck.

$60 is CHEAP?

What will a $60 folding pocket knife do that a $20 one won't? I'm not using these things to slash through bamboo poles, or as a stake for climbing.

I'd probably have cried if I lost a $60 pocket knife. You know, like a little girl. :D

WHAT? What do the women carry around?

Yep, OC spray and Mace are illegal. There are certain "Michigan Legal" sprays you can get. In other words, Pepper Spray. (And Bear Spray, though I've heard that the bear spray can sometimes simulate the scent of a female bear in heat...bad mojo.) No OC or Mace, though.

Oh, yes, tasers are also illegal, too. Collapsing batons are legal, but I'm going to go out on a limb and, considering Michigan's usual posture toward such things, it's illegal to carry them.

Skunkabilly
June 18, 2003, 04:08 PM
$60 is CHEAP?

For some reason I thought i seen BMs in the 20-30 range, but havent checked....

Schuey2002
June 18, 2003, 04:33 PM
$60 is CHEAP?
For a BM, yeah, that's downright affordable. Most of their folders are in/and or near the $100+ range. ;)

Skunk, this link will give you an idea on BM prices.. $20-$30? Please tell me where I can get them that *ahem* cheap ?? ;)
http://www.newgraham.com/benchmad.htm

mtnbkr
June 18, 2003, 04:54 PM
For some reason I thought i seen BMs in the 20-30 range, but havent checked....

They have a "value" line, but I can't remember the name. Construction is similar to Emerson's Hardwear line (plastic handles, etc).

Good grief, the knife hobby has perverted me to the point that I no longer consider a $60 knife to be expensive.

Chris

Tamara
June 18, 2003, 06:20 PM
$60 is CHEAP?

Add up the MSRP's of the stuff in my photo; cheap is relative. ;)

(It wasn't 'til I went back and looked at the picture that I realized it'd be fiscally sounder to let the BG have my wallet than to let the heat confiscate my hardware... :o )

ShaiVong
June 18, 2003, 06:22 PM
Now I feel unprepared.

Keys
Wallet
Gerber Multitool
Glock 22 10+1 (Sometimes)

And I carry my wits about me, rather than on me. :D

natedog
June 18, 2003, 06:39 PM
Here's me:

keys
wallet
4- 6" single action non-metallic cartridge revolvers
4- muzzle loading hanguns
-1 top break double-action revolver made by "US Revolver Company"
1- 6 barreled muzzleloading revolvers
1- Civil War era saber
1- WW1 era saber
1- origingal Civil War Springfield musket, with affixed bayonet

I feel well armed :p

natedog
June 18, 2003, 06:40 PM
here's the back view

natedog
June 18, 2003, 06:42 PM
heres me without the jacket

Hot brass
June 18, 2003, 06:44 PM
:neener:
wallet
Keys/car/house/work(got to have them)
chapstik
Schrade trapper
Cold Steel 5" Voyager
Silver dollar
cell phone(mine)
pager (work)
1911(9rds) or P14(15rds) both 45acp

Carlos
June 18, 2003, 09:15 PM
OK, I'll bite. :rolleyes:

Basic (going to work):
Keys
wallet
watch
Steyr M40
CRKT M16
Cellphone

Going out at night (add):
Extra mag pouch
WAVE tool
SureFire G2

All this rides on a good belt very well. Gun at 3, M16 at 5:30, everything else on weak side.

It's like wearing a frickin Bat Belt. :what:

:)

http://www.armscenter.com/majortrouble/Pictures/TheCollection.jpg

Navy joe
June 18, 2003, 09:17 PM
Yep, OC spray and Mace are illegal. There are certain "Michigan Legal" sprays you can get. In other words, Pepper Spray. (And Bear Spray, though I've heard that the bear spray can sometimes simulate the scent of a female bear in heat...bad mojo.) No OC or Mace, though

Night, pepper spray is OC. I don't know how the Mich. law reads, but if it says no OC that means no pepper spray. Bear Spray is OC also, I guess you have to prove fear of bear attack to be legal up there? I have both, carry neither unless in a guns for criminals only zone where I am likely to get stopped and searched. (DC, New Orleans, and gov't military property is where I've applied that so far.) Like water you plan on taking, that stuff expires, keep it new.

Oracle
June 18, 2003, 09:25 PM
Everyday, I carry keys on a carabiner attached to a belt loop, a Leatherman Wave on my belt in a pouch, a waved Spyderco Endura in my strongside pocket, my wallet, cellphone, and a Glock 26 in a strongside IWB holster or an ankle holster, depending on what I'm wearing. I carry a spare G17 magazine on my weak side if I can conceal it (hard to do with my work clothes). I'm getting a Surefire G2 soon, now that they've come down in price.

Chris Rhines
June 18, 2003, 09:51 PM
My pre-MD rig:

(all on the belt)
- CZ-75 in a Comp-Tac IWB rig
- 1 spare magazine
- Leatherman Wave
- Keychain on a mini carabiner, tucked inside left pocket

(right front pocket)
- Spyderco Military folder
- cheapo butane lighter

(left rear)
- Wallet with money

(right rear)
- Big bandanna/snotrag

Since relocating to Maryland, I've ditched the pistol. Sigh. Back in Indiana, I was thinking about adding a backup gun...

Cellphone and a Surefire 6P live in my everpresent courier's bag. My car has tools (I need them to keep the POS running :D,) blankets, a first aid kit, and a fire extinguisher.

I used to carry all this stuff while wearing khakis and a tucked-in polo shirt. Concealment and comfort can be had with the right gear, even with big guns.

- Chris

Hardtarget
June 18, 2003, 11:10 PM
Mine is a short list:
keys and wallet are a must
small knife...for polite company
big knife...'cause I like a big knife
light...yes, its a Sure-Fire (6P)
compact .45
one mag...sometimes I'll add a second mag

thats about as much as I want to carry.
Mark.

DigMe
June 18, 2003, 11:15 PM
jthuang said
- Right rear pocket: 2 HKS speedloaders. Clipped to this pocket is a Spyderco Delica/Endura.

How can you possibly fit two speedloaders in a back pocket and be comfortable sitting down?? Not to mention two funny looking bulges in your back pocket! I can't carry anything more than a wallet back there without it driving me crazy. Even a wallet sometimes makes my butt sore.

brad cook

DigMe
June 18, 2003, 11:19 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=333778

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=333779

:D

Looks like you're well concealed though as long as you keep that jacket on. I have a similar setup but I'd like to suggest one addition to your daily carry...I like to hide a large cannon under a Confederate soldier's cap.

brad cook

ps - thanks for the laugh

Crimper-D
June 18, 2003, 11:43 PM
Shirt pocket = pen, penlight, small screwdriver.
Left front pocket = Swiss Army Knife, nailclippers, change, moneyclip. Right Front pocket = Mousegun
Left hip pocket = Singlefold wallet. Right hip pocket = small folder, usually something designed by Blackie Collins.
Belt= keyring on a shackel. Rarely a celphone, sometimes a glasses case for shades.
When the wallet gets heavier than the gun, it's time to pay bills..... or buy more toys:D

Bowlcut
June 18, 2003, 11:45 PM
Well mine has changed lately

Keys
Wallet
US Camlus pocket knife
Pager

Then the Man Purse :D
2 cell phones
Digital Camera
battery charger
manual
extra memory cards
filters for camera
CRKT-KISS
Check book
Mini Tri Pod
Lens Cloth

Soon to add a SW99 or Makarov to my hip as soon as i get my permit.

The man purse makes it easy to carry anything and look masculne :D Its acutaly a camera bag that everyone calls my man purse. it will likely be a home to a p-3AT or the main weapon when i cant have it on my hip.

Prodigalshooter
June 18, 2003, 11:47 PM
I always liked these threads, it's nice to know there are other people like me put there!:p
I'm famous at work for being the go-to person if something needs to be cut. For the sheeple I always have a small knife of varying brand to use that won't "scare" them, ie Spydie Cricket or similar in watch pocket; my Sebenza in right front; one of my multitools either on my belt or in right back pocket; a Victorinox Executive in my left front pocket. In the leather carry on/briefcase bag I bring to work (it's more like a leather range bag) there are my Surefire light, Spydie Lum fixed blade, Stinger impact tool, maybe another fixed blade depending on my mood. I'm not able to CCW here, but the bag has on occasion contained a firearm, (unloaded and locked, of course;) , because I had reason to think it might be needed. These things have evolved over the years, now I feel naked w/o at least one knife.
It's not really all that hard to carry three to four of these objects (inc. a multi-tool)
on you and not even notice it,

Moparmike
June 19, 2003, 12:59 AM
Wow, so many ideas to borrow from.

Where does one get one of those "extenda-baton" things?

I usually carry a cheapie ($6 autozone special) tool (plyers, knife, scaler, etc), $20 folding Schrade, and now a Swiss army knife. Suddenly I feel like MacGuyver. Now all I need is something to blowup, a highspeed car chase, a jeep, a Russian agent to convert, and a girl...

I also carry the usual wallet and checkbook, and keys. Looking for the aforementioned baton for backpack.

Mike Irwin
June 19, 2003, 01:05 AM
You forgot the climbing gear and ropes, a collapsible, inflatable helicopter, a search light, a cigarette boat, etc...

I take my gun, my wallet, and my keys.

That's right, normally I don't even take a reload.

Skunkabilly
June 19, 2003, 02:26 AM
http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/climbing%20gear%20main/grabberhook.jpg

What about one of these?

Moparmike
June 19, 2003, 02:38 AM
Rock climbing gear? Bear trap? Nifty, odd-looking dealy-whopper to make people ask questions?

GhostShooter
June 19, 2003, 03:46 AM
I think some of you guys should add a collapsible life preserver to your list because if you ever fall into a lake, river, etc you're gonna sink faster than a rock.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/tung2.gif

P.S.
For some of you guys, when you get to the point you're actually crating around cargo I think you need to break down and buy the man purse.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/roflmao.gif

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

Brian Williams
June 19, 2003, 04:05 AM
IWB 4 O clock S&W 940 in nylon holster (cheapie)

Right front
2 5 round moonclips Speer 124 gr JHP +p
uncle mikes/oldtimer single blade linerlock all purpose cutter

Left front
keys
Victorinox officers model
1 5 round Moonclip Speer lawman FMJ

Right rear
Wallet
S&W HRT folder sometimes in watch pocket

Cargo pocket
right side
Cell phone
left side
Book

belt
occasionally a leather man super tool
and a minimag light

Fanny pack or man purse
changes at times

Glasses
reading glasses
Sun glasses
various pens and pen lights
Burt Beeswax Lip Balm
another book
Digital camera
mini tripod
Car charger for cell
ear piece for cell
940 storage when at non carry places.

WonderNine
June 19, 2003, 06:23 AM
Did I forget anything? :p

Oh ya, my new Surefire E2E is not pictured...

http://bis.midco.net/cotlod/carry.jpg

hso
June 19, 2003, 08:03 AM
I wear "business casual" (tucked in shirt) for work and carry the following

On me- e.g. in/on a pair of dockers
small wallet
3.5"-4" folding knife
Arclite LS compact LCD flashlight
Ti Zippo
money clip
SOG Switchpliers
20ft nylon cord
cell phone
blackberry
space pen

Off body-
sunglasses
prescription glasses to find my sunglasses
P12 and 1 spare mag
Surefire 6p
small first aid kit
mag fire starter
100ft 550cord
compass
bic lighter
strike anywhere matches
space blanket
5"fixed blade knife (Montroc Ronen)

I'm not surprised that the cargo pants/vest folks carry a ton of stuff. I wear those when I'm working in the field to carry the ton 'o stuff I need. When I'm in the office it just ain't possible so the "man purse" is the answer (Mountain Smith)

jthuang
June 19, 2003, 09:43 AM
How can you possibly fit two speedloaders in a back pocket and be comfortable sitting down??

Dunno ... I never really notice them. Maybe it's the really comfy chair (a la Monty Python) that they give me at the office. :)

I also walk to work so sitting in a car for the morning commute is usually not an issue.

Justin

lee n. field
June 19, 2003, 09:51 AM
wallet (left front pocket)
lock back knife (back right pocket)
Gerber Multilock tool (belt pouch right hip)
random pocket change (left back pocket)
keys, comb, hankie (right front)

Illinois is still in the "serfs must be disarmed" stage of feudalism. If it weren't, there might or might not be a Makarov in IWB behind the right hip. The Gerber tool would just have to go somewhere else.

Kentucky Rifle
June 19, 2003, 12:38 PM
For an EDC flashlight an Arc ONE triple A puts out an awful lot of light. Lasts 5 hours on a single alkaline battery and has a very bright LED for a bulb. In other words, it won't burn out at the wrong time! The light is the same size as a one triple A MagLite, but far brighter.

KR

spacemanspiff
June 19, 2003, 12:51 PM
gee, i feel like i'm 'underdressed':
kimber tle ii
2 reloads
no wallet, just ids and credit cards
cash
keys
knife

JeFF D
June 19, 2003, 06:10 PM
Wallet, leatherman micra attached to keys
and either a Spyderco Delica, Sypderco Navigator or Benchmade Mini-Griptilian.
Also when i'll be out at night a surefire E2.
No gun yet since I'm only 17.

USMCsilver
June 19, 2003, 06:28 PM
Keys
Little Swiss Army on keychain
CWP gun (depends on weather)
Sometimes a spare mag
Cell phone
Wallet
Seiko
Oakleys

Not too much. I occupy one front pocket and one back pocket. Sometimes two front pockets if I toss the P32 up front. It ain't bad.

cool45auto
June 19, 2003, 07:47 PM
Wallet, keys, cell phone, Mini-mag flashlight, extra magazine in a belt pouch, pen, Buck knife and Beretta IWB.

Billy Sparks
June 20, 2003, 08:32 AM
I have two basic modes, work and non-work.

Work Mode:
Right Front Pocket - Keys (House, etc on one ring truck on other)
Right Rear Pocket - Hankie, comb, knife
Left Front Pocket - change purse, contact lenes drops
Left Rear Pocket - Wallet
On Belt:
Left side - Work pager with work cell phone directly behind it.
Right side - ID badge holder and rescue squad pager behind it.

Non Work:
Pockets are basically the same except I remove the lenses drops
and add a KelTec P32 to the Left Front pocket. I have found
I carry this gun all the time even if I am carry another gun.

On Belt:
Left Side the same
Right Side: Depending on my schedule some type of pistol. Note: If the day is full of gun no places (city/county offices, bank, etc) I will not carry a pistol on my side. Also if I am carrying a pistol on my right I move the knife out of my back pocket.

Now if we bring the truck into the picture:
One set of wildland fire gear, tramua bag, two folding chairs, haligan bar, water gear (wet suit, PFD, helmet, etc), structural firefighting gear, high level stuff (carabiners, pulleys, etc), class III harness, extra golves, extra eye protection, fire extinguisher, 11-87 Police shotgun.....now I see why I needed a bigger pickup....

H Romberg
June 20, 2003, 01:56 PM
Just the essentials.

Cell Phone
Gun
Reload(s)
Keys
Wallet
Moneyclip
Folding Knife

Carrying a gun and everything that goes with it winds up being more than most CCW holders want to mess with from what I hear. Funny how after going to all the trouble to get the things, they apparently don't use them all that much.

DingoDog
June 20, 2003, 10:50 PM
Looking at all this, my back hurts:

Right front pocket: airweight .38
left front pocket: Cell phone and keys
left rear pocket: cheap folding knife
right rear pocket: wallet
left front of belt: cpr mask, latex gloves, 2-4x4's
left rear of belt: Victoronix kit with the following
2 large safety pins, 2 small safety pins, 4 bandaids, fire starter and striker, pen, mini-mag, waterproof matches, compass/ruler, graph paper, knife sharpener, 6 feet fishing line, pill box with 2 tylenol, 2 pamprin, 2 allergy tabs
right side of belt: double mag holder with stinger flashlight and leatherman wave
Shoulder holster under dress shirt: left side Sig P220, right side: Sig P230 (under shirt so I can take off my jacket. I usually wear a light sweater in the office.

If it gets really hot, I have two .38 airweights under the shirt instead of the .45 and .380.

I think that's about it.

Smoke
June 20, 2003, 11:44 PM
http://users.htcomp.net/rogerparks/3belts.jpg

Actually though:
1 1911 style handgun.
1 spare mag.
1 Uncle Henry Lock back.
1 S&W S.W.A.T. Locking folder

keys, wallet, change, etc.

Ghost
June 21, 2003, 03:11 AM
Now that I've seen some of these lists, I think I should carry more.

Drivers Licence, Military ID card, check card in my back pocket

Pack of cigarettes and a lighter in my front pocket, keys in the other front pocket.

Gerber A-F folder on the inside of my left boot.

that's all folks.

Oh yeah, when I'm home in MT, Ruger P89 on my right hip, usually not even concealed, and add a permit to the cards in my back pocket.:)

Matt G
June 21, 2003, 08:57 AM
Start with a good heavy lined dress belt.

Off-duty, just walking out the door:
Keys.
Wallet.
ID case.
Pager.
CRKT M-16 13Z lockback folder
Either a KelTec P-11 9mm or
. S&W M37 Airweight Chief Spl .38 Spl.

On-duty: All above, w/1911 and usual BatBelt o' Goodies.

Micro rant: There are some people here not being honest with themselves. Just because you have once carried such a load on your person does NOT mean that you always do, walking out the door. I occasionally carry a reload, but honestly, not every time, nor even most of the time. I sometimes carry two guns off-duty, but not all the time, nor even most of the time. I sometimes carry a light (other than the Photon on my keys), but usually not on my person. I don't carry a cell phone; I don't have one. Folks, I'm a big guy, and I feel moderately encumbered with what I do carry. I carry when out of my house because I have sworn to myself to do so. It's a lifestyle I've decided to adopt, and it takes diligence.

There are some of you here that carry the above-mentioned loads some of the time. I would request, as another citizen, that you make it a religion to carry something ALL the time. If you've proven you can do it, continue to do it everytime you walk out the door.

--Matt.

Tamara
June 21, 2003, 09:57 AM
Two words: "Purse" and "Vest". :)

Legionnaire
June 21, 2003, 11:22 AM
Matt G,

Lifestyle change it is. Most obvious visible consequence is that I don't wear jeans any more. Not enough pockets, and mostly too close fitting for "comfort." Royal Robbins 5.11s all the time, except when I have to wear a suit or coat & tie. Here's my minimum load when on campus, where I can't carry a firearm.

Left thigh cargo pocket: Palm Tungsten T
Left front pocket: Key wallet with keys for work; Spyderco Rookie serrated edge (clipped to pocket), with red MicroLight attached to lanyard hole
Left rear pocket: Wallet with all the regular goodies
Right rear pocket: Bandana, comb
Right front pocket: Car keys, with blue MicroLight on keyring; loose change; Spyderco Rookie plain edge (clipped to pocket)
Right kife/phone pocket: Cell phone
Right thigh cargo pocket: Loose change and other temporary goodies.

Shirt pocket: Rotring pen, doubles as kubaton.

When I can carry, either: (1) stuff in right front pocket migrates to right thigh cargo pocket and I carry a Kel-Tec P32 in an Alessi pocket holster; or (2) Glock 27 goes IWB strongside in a Bladetech tuckable holster.

I have, but rarely carry, a SureFire and Glock mag combo carrier. That goes along when I wear a sportcoat ... which is rare. If it weren't for cargo pants, I'd have to wear a sport coat all the time!

Had a fun conversation with one of my very observant students this past semester. He's a knife collector, so noticed both clips. He asked, "Why do you carry two knives?" My response: "Because they won't let me carry my gun on campus." ;)

Johnny Guest
June 21, 2003, 01:31 PM
Going to work:
Belt: Commander .45 on R hip, single spare mag, pager, belt badge. Cell phone belt clip-- phone stays in car.

Pockets: Bill fold, ID case, Kershaw Scallion plus a larger knife, keys with Photon light, handkerchief.

Not working: Same with vest or open overshirt. Otherwise, .45 stays in car, and carry an alloy .38 in RF pocket and a Speed Strip. Occasionally a shoulder rig under shirt, with reloads on the off side strap.

As I'm in and out of the jail a couple of times a day, I pack a second gun more off duty than on. Usually second lightweight .38 or P32 in ankle rig or P32 in hip pocket. (Wife has pre-empted my P32 lately.;))

I have plenty of guns I CAN conceal, and may change up just for variety. Every couple of weeks I carry a different primary for a day or two. The above is the day-to-day stuff. I'd no more leave home without a handgun than without my bill fold or keys. The novelty of carrying wore off some years back, and now it's just part of my "stuff."

I also urge all those who can legally go armed to do so regularly. It is a quiet, unrecognized service you can perform for your community, as well as cheap personal life insurance.

Best,
Johnny

If you enjoyed reading about "Folks really carry all that stuff?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!