General weapons

PDA

Im283
April 29, 2007, 02:37 AM
Since this is the place for General gun discussions, and I have never seen this thread here, what kind of guns do Generals carry or use:confused:

I know Patton said something about pearl handles being for pimps so he had ivory but what else?

Did Grant carry a weapon? How about Lee? What about Ike? Stormin' Norman? How about El Supremo?

If you enjoyed reading about "General weapons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRIZ22
April 29, 2007, 04:21 AM
Generals up to the 70s were issued a Colt 390 which they could keep when they retired if they paid the Army the acquisition cost (about $25-30). This came with the leather belt and round buckle worn by General Officers. I guess most General Officers kept them as they did have a special chopped 45 made up for them for a short period. Today in the Army you see most generals carrying a M9. Generals still get their pistol issued and are the only people in the Army that don't have to store it in the arms room. They still get the belt and buckle.

Patton carried ivory handled pistols. I don't know what the regulations were then or what they are for other services but in the Army General Officers can make up their own uniform. The regulation governing the wearing of the uniform really doesn't say this what is says is General Officers are exempt from these regulations. I guess that means they can make up their own uniform and carry two nickel plated 357s in cross draw holsters if they wanted to.

Smokey Joe
April 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
Ike carried a big, BIG, BIG sidearm. It was called the Allied Expeditionary Force.

They don't pay general officers to carry weapons. They pay them to do the planning, do the organization, make the decisions, and take the responsibility.

If a general ever needs to use a weapon personally, there has been a Class A, Completely Screwed Up, SNAFU, All-Pervading, Full-Dress, Clusterf***, and if he's lucky, he'll live to be court-martialled and demoted.

KD7ONE
April 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
Generals don't need weapons. Officers above Major are just politicians.

April 29, 2007, 03:24 PM
I would think that German Generals in WWII carried mostly Walther P-38s. Presumably Soviet Generals carried Nagant revolvers and Tokarev TTs.

I would agree that Generals are not paid to use small arms themselves, and carry pistols as badges of rank and instruments of discipline, and if one ever needs his sidearm for self-defense, something has gone wrong, but there were plenty of Soviet and German Generals killed in combat on the Eastern Front. I expect the vast majority were killed by artillery, airstrikes, and such, but it's not impossible to imagine Paulus, for example, had he not chosen to surrender, emptying his pistol as his last act (perhaps saving one round for himself) in the Stalingrad bunker from behind a pile of Wehrmacht corpses and empty K98ks.

I suppose the old adage of "better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it" applies to Generals as much as does it anyone else.

El Tejon
April 29, 2007, 04:24 PM
Patton was known for carrying a couple of different pistols but had an extensive collection. You can see one of his pistols (the .357) and part of his gun collection (including a ZB26 in 8mm) at the Patton museum in Radcliffe, Kentucky.

Grant, to my memory, wore a sword mostly. Bobby Lee carried a big white flag (I believe Lee usually wore a sword, but did have pistols on his saddle, IIRC).:D

Ike had several different pistols, but rarely carried one in WWII. I do remember a younger Ike carrying a revolver. Later Ike mostly carried a 2 wood.:D

Stormin' Norman's main self-defense weapon was a detail of rough, tough SF types. However, he had an M9 by his bed and a double barreled shotgun (uncertain what the make was).

German and Soviet generals in WWII used a myriad of different pistols. Everything to 6.35 mm (our .25 acp) on up.

GRIZ22
April 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
How about Lee?

As I recall Lee never carried any sidearm, not even a sword, throughout the Civil War or War of Northern Agression (whatever you prefer).

Generals don't need weapons. Officers above Major are just politicians

It's wrong to "generalize". I wouldn't call Arthur "Bull" Simons and Charles "Charging Charlie" Beckwith "just politicians". the list can go on.

floridaboy
April 29, 2007, 05:06 PM
Being from Virginia originally, I'm not aware of R.E. Lee ever carrying a white flag. I'd be very interested to see any documentation that he did.

cold dead hands
April 29, 2007, 05:10 PM
Mr. Teddy Roosevelt didn't suggest guns. He said to carry a big stick. But he did carry a sword and revolvers plus he hunted with powerful rifles... so carry a stick, a sword, and guns to be on the safe side hahaha. Just beware of catching mall ninja syndrome.

I qualify the man because he was the general of gererals a.k.a. Commander in Chief.

If you enjoyed reading about "General weapons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!