Los Angeles gun roundup gets only one gun

PDA

CZRyan
April 29, 2007, 06:17 AM
I saw this in the paper today.

http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_5771307

Thought you would get a kick out of it. Just what is a SSK rifle anyway??:confused:

You have to love the way the press and the police play this up as a big deal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Los Angeles gun roundup gets only one gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheDisturbed1
April 29, 2007, 06:22 AM
Just what is a SSK rifle anyway??
A mis-spelled SKS? :D

That is funny tho... I would not hand over my gun anywhere, ESPECIALLY L.A.

Randy in Arizona
April 29, 2007, 06:57 AM
But for Los Angeles police, what the world needs is fewer guns. The Chinese-made SSK assault rifle with two, 30-round banana clips was dropped off by a dad whose son had long ago left it at his house.

It was the only gun relinquished in three hours of waiting.

"If we can take one gun off the street, it's worth it," said Hun, a senior lead officer for the area. "If a gangster wanted to do a drive-by, it's the ultimate weapon."

Actually it is too long and has no select fire capability, but let the fool gush for the media.org clowns.:cuss: :cuss:

Apple a Day
April 29, 2007, 08:28 AM
Wow, I always thought of an SKS as a cheap plinker. I never knew it was "The Ultimate Weapon". Then again, I thought the human mind was the ultimate weapon; which explained why the newsies want everyone unarmed just like they are.

runfrumu
April 29, 2007, 09:06 AM
WOW WOW WOW!! They got the big one!! And enough ammo to blow away 59, count em, 59 bystanders!!!

whoever wrote that is being a little overly dramatic.

Heavy Metal Hero
April 29, 2007, 09:08 AM
I never knew it was "The Ultimate Weapon"

Why do you think all of our special forces use it? :barf:

qajaq59
April 29, 2007, 09:27 AM
Whew!!! That's better.

Now I can go to LA and be safe. Yeah, sure I can.....

Personally, I think ignorant reporters are far more dangerous then guns are.

Baldy518
April 29, 2007, 09:52 AM
Did the REALLY get an assault rifle? I doubt it. A REAL assault rifle is Fully Automatic. It was successful, though. They got 1 gun "off the streets".

Gerald in Ga
April 29, 2007, 10:05 AM
The sks was probably one from the evidence locker and the guy who turned it in must have been a cop.

Glockamolie
April 29, 2007, 10:07 AM
At the bottom, there's a place for comments. Be sure and leave yours.

Nicky Santoro
April 29, 2007, 10:07 AM
Amazing! With the departure of Daryl Gates, the average IQ of the LAPD automatically doubled to 60. I see that they are still maintaing their fine edge.

MEH
April 29, 2007, 10:18 AM
"If a gangster wanted to do a drive-by, it's the ultimate weapon."

:neener: Super-Duper-Evil-Lead sprayer-of-Ultimate-Doom! and its so short the gangster could swing it around inside the car and shoot out the other window in about 1.5234 seconds!!! (DOUBLE DRIVE-BY) :rolleyes:

glennv
April 29, 2007, 10:35 AM
They should celebrate the anniversary of the LA riots by giving away guns! If your business survived the fires you probably use a gun to defend it from the waves of looters.

One of the reasons I like the second grade. I still thought there was a chance that CA would fall into the Pacific, with all of their electoral votes.

fletcher
April 29, 2007, 11:23 AM
They got only one — but it was an SSK assault rifle, along with enough ammunition to blow away 59 bystanders.

Wow. Biased much?

pharmer
April 29, 2007, 11:32 AM
"It's the big one!" said chief of police Fred Sanford as he chastized son Lamont for possession of such a dangerous weapon. Joe

SASS#23149
April 29, 2007, 11:59 AM
I went to the JD Jones website,and their SSK rifle is a bolt action hunting rifle that looks really expensive.If some dolt turned this one in he should turn himself into the looney bin!!!!!!!!!!

ccw9mm
April 29, 2007, 12:02 PM
Los Angeles is often described as a city divided between haves and have-nots.
And the citizens have spoken. Wisely, they'd rather have the means to defend themselves. They're not as stupid as the "powers" seem to think they are. Good for them (the citizens).

Gustav
April 29, 2007, 12:12 PM
LOL
I really enjoyed the comment made "Its like catching the big one"
Pathetic if this is THE biggest one he has seen I would never want to go fishing with him as a minnow would be a whale if he ever caught anything.:evil:
ROTFLMAO
Well at least they only got ONE gun!

FieroCDSP
April 29, 2007, 12:13 PM
SSK....hmm...Lets be nice and give them an easy misspelling, esp since they are liberal media nuts who shy away from guns like vampires to crosses. As for the 59 "crowd killing" rounds....Pffts.... Ultimate drive-by weapon? I guarantee the first time someone uses an SKS in a Drive-By, they won't do it again. Those things are a lot louder than a 9mm, and the casings would bounce around every where, burning everyone in the car. And for the record, that gun wasn't "On the streets, yo." It was in some guy's closet. Hardly a danger to children and nuns.

Gators
April 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
I think after the first or second round it would be ( Byrunners!).:rolleyes:
How fast can you shoot in a drive by to hit 59 byrunners?:scrutiny:

scrat
April 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
just left a comment on the site. of course signed THR

torpid
April 29, 2007, 02:43 PM
The Chinese-made SSK assault rifle with two, 30-round banana clips was dropped off by a dad whose son had long ago left it at his house.

"If we can take one gun off the street, it's worth it," said Hun, a senior lead officer for the area.

No, you took one gun out of a closet.

Sage of Seattle
April 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
One of the reasons I like the second grade.

So. When do you graduate? :neener:

Sorry, I just had to take the shot!

So, let's see... they had people lined up practically around the block for FOOD, there is a desperate need for JOBS and MONEY, yet all of this activity seemingly surrounded a gun turn-in? Idiocy.

Even the gun buy-backs work better because people are at least getting a smidge of what they really want and need.

glockman19
April 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
I read the article yesterday. What a joke. Couldn't even spell SKS correctly.
SSK assault rifle, along with enough ammunition to blow away 59 bystanders.
And 59 rounds...20 min at the range...at most if you're firing 1 round per second and reloading 20 round magazines 5 min at most.

The Good
April 29, 2007, 03:14 PM
man i could have used the ULTIMATE WEAPON.
maybe this article will help society when street criminals see it and decide they need to get their hands on these ultimate weapons and throw out their old pieces

.cheese.
April 29, 2007, 03:37 PM
enough ammo to take out 59 bystanders huh?

well - let's do the math. 7.62x39 typically comes in 20 round boxes.... so that's 3 boxes worth minus one round.... I'll bet the papers will figure it out and write an article about an unknown murder of a bystander still yet to be solved.

"We know that an assault rifle round is missing. Now we need to find it, and who it took out." will be a quote by the police chief.

What's up with the "what we need is love" thing. It's 2007. Not 1967.

Doggy Daddy
April 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
No, no, no. It wasn't a misspelling. I'm sure they meant "SSK" instead of "SKS".

That would be "Super Scary Killer Rifle". :D

blo0dyhatchet
April 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
I left a comment as well. What a waste. I wonder how many crimes could have been attended to by the cops wasting their 3 hours.

Nil
April 29, 2007, 03:42 PM
Wow, I suppose I can stop buying other guns now that I have The Ultimate Weapon. What's the point of getting inferior guns when I can accomplish all my goals (e.g. hunting, self defense, world domination) with my trusty SSK.

bthest86
April 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
Guess they didn't like the outcome of their turn in so they blew up what they did get into the "big one"

"It was this big!"

torpid
April 29, 2007, 03:52 PM
Only 1 gun?
Man, that SSKs.

.cheese.
April 29, 2007, 03:53 PM
you know Chicago is going to host one now just so they can say, "Mine is bigger!"

VA27
April 29, 2007, 04:04 PM
59 rounds? I wonder if they thought to check the chamber?

Remember the "Cops" episode where the bad guy threw a Mossberg Cruiser on the roof and one of the cops picked it up by the trigger guard and it went off!

I wonder if one of the hands in the evidence room blew a hole in the ceiling?

Will that make the news, or will they conspire to cover it up with a flurry of personnel transfers or report it as a "drive-by"?

Mumwaldee
April 29, 2007, 04:18 PM
I made a comment and I sent her a link to the Zumbo article in the Washington Post...and bid her a good day.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/23/AR2007022301709.html

April 29, 2007, 04:23 PM

Good point. :uhoh:

Cesiumsponge
April 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
"If we can take one gun off the street, it's worth it," said Hun, a senior lead officer for the area. "If a gangster wanted to do a drive-by, it's the ultimate weapon."

Those silly, fickle gangsters. Last week it was the dreaded AK47, then before that, the mac10, the tec9, the glock 9mm, and the street sweeper, but they've since found out the "SSK" trumps them all :neener:

Wes Janson
April 29, 2007, 06:27 PM

"You would not believe what we got," exclaimed LAPD Officer Brian Hun of the Southwest Division. "It's like catching the big one."

Based on the quote from the officer, I'm willing to wager that they never did clear the weapon...

Every day the desire to see Congress pass a vote to forcibly kick California out of the United States strengthens.

Pilgrim
April 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
"You would not believe what we got," exclaimed LAPD Officer Brian Hun of the Southwest Division. "It's like catching the big one."
Officer Hun is easily awestruck.

Pilgrim

ingram
April 29, 2007, 09:47 PM
60 rounds..... 59 bystanders minus 1 for the intended target....

don't play dumb :rolleyes:

illspirit
April 29, 2007, 10:03 PM
Oh my. The writer would be a comedy genius if it weren't serious. I just posted this in the comments, just in case it gets removed before anyone else sees:

Is this article a satire or what? Calling (what I assume is) an SKS an "assault rifle" is like saying a Honda Civic with a plastic wing on the back is really an airplane. Seriously. Just go look at a picture of one on Wikipedia or something. The thing has a wooden body like a normal hunting rifle and was designed in the 1940s.

And judging by the dimensions and weight, it sounds about as easy to use in the confines of a car for drive-by shootings as using a pneumatic jackhammer for dentistry. Let alone being the "ultimate weapon."

telomerase
April 29, 2007, 11:15 PM
Well, we can call the idiots who came up with this idiots, but they're still paid more than most of us :scrutiny: . I think we're the idiots; we let these people rule us.

tinygnat219
April 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
I had to write the reporter. Here's my E-mail:

Ms. Bartholomew,

This letter is in response to your article: "Assault rifle turned over in gun roundup"
How is one gun considered a success? The Taxpayers got a bad deal here, how many police officers were standing around for 3 hours twiddling their thumbs? Shouldn't they have been doing something useful instead? Like arresting criminals, or actually taking care of some of the problems that actually plague the city, like answering the endless 911 calls? Face the facts. The event was a monumental failure, not the astounding success your article paints it to be.

I have to ask if you actually did any confirmation of the information in the article. Your article got so many things wrong, it's hard to know where to begin. First of all, there is no such gun as an SSK. I believe what the "gun roundup" program brought in is an SKS rifle, a semi-automatic rifle that fires a mediocre intermediate round. Today's hunter's weapons are far more powerful. You further state that the rifle is an "assault" rifle, which is also incorrect. True Assault rifles are have a selecter switch that enables full automatic fire. The SKS rifle does not have that capability. Also, what is truly scary is that Hun, a "senior lead police officer" thinks that is true: ""If a gangster wanted to do a drive-by, it's the ultimate weapon." The overall length of a typical SKS is: 40.2 inches. That's NOT an easy weapon to try and operate from a car. If senior lead police officer Hun is a typical example of what LA Police are like, I fear for anyone who actually NEEDs them.

Please speak to someone who knows about such things next time prior to publishing bad information.
Your lack of knowledge and the emphasis placed on the astounding success of what should be viewed as a staggering failure make both you and your paper look ignorant and foolish.

v/r,

evan price
April 29, 2007, 11:57 PM
Left my mark in comments.

Mot45acp
April 30, 2007, 11:00 PM
added my .02

BTW I just got my order from ammoman. I sure hope the 2000 bystanders are safe

mossberg
April 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
Wow. After three hours work they got $150 worth of stuff. Amazing!

skypirate7
April 30, 2007, 11:48 PM
Cops waited. TV crews waited. And church officials standing under the broiling sun in South Los Angeles waited, hoping Angelenos would come and surrender their guns.

They got only one — but it was an SSK [sic: SKS] assault rifle, along with enough ammunition to blow away 59 bystanders.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

One SKS and 59 rounds? That's like picking up one grain of sand on the beach and thinking you made a difference. Actually, that analogy is too generous. Try half a grain of sand in the Sahara desert.

Omaney
May 1, 2007, 12:05 AM
If I were the chief of LAPD I would have done everything I could to quash that article before press time! What a bunch of BS

JackW
May 1, 2007, 01:16 AM
Well, I guess they got the last one.

No need for anymore of these silly programs. :)

FRIENDLY
May 1, 2007, 01:41 AM
If it was not a mispelling of SKS it may be a modified version made by the Chinese with a selective fire trigger block.There was a version called SKK using the AK47 magazines so that they could cross use spare parts and magazines

doberman
May 1, 2007, 02:51 AM
To thwart gun violence, the Rev. Eduardo Vickers said, society must convince the young.

"Get them while the clay is soft you've got to mold them," he said...

I wonder what he exactly means by "molding"? :scrutiny:

ithacalover
May 1, 2007, 03:00 AM
Typical make-it-sound-sexy-for-the-paper situation.
I couldn't believe the press release that came over my desk last week. Ottawa, Canada Guns& Gangs squad claimed that during a raid they had recovered a "fully loaded automatic machine gun".
Now that's likely coming from the guy who writes their releases; I can't imagine a cop - even a Canadian one - would ever use the phrase 'automatic machine gun!'
Way deadlier than those lever-action machine guns that have been hitting the streets...

Megistopoda
May 1, 2007, 11:42 AM
Idiots. They got one gun...ONE GUN, so they play it up as an evil, terrifying "assault rifle", complete with "banana clips" complete with enough ammo to "blow away 59 bystanders." Then stroke their own backs..."one gun is worth it." Yeah right. Idiots.

bdutton
May 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
Sorry... meant to post a new thread.

delta53
May 1, 2007, 12:21 PM
They must be doing a good job out there in LA For there to be only (1)
Keep up the good work I'm shure Friday and Saturday night more guns will show up most gun people come out at night and sleep all day. they should no that.:neener:

trueblue1776
May 1, 2007, 12:55 PM
I hope nobody rats on me, by their logic there are about five thousand bystanders just waiting to die under my bed.

Turkey Creek
May 1, 2007, 08:00 PM
I have a perfectly logical explanation- This was the only firearm in the area and it was just being traded around among the bad guys for their nefarious deeds- Now watch the crime rate drop to zero- :neener:

george29
May 1, 2007, 08:22 PM
I liked your reply TinyGnat, saved me the effort and left me more time to guzzle another beer while I menacingly fondle my Mossin-Nagant, the "other ultimate gang-banger choice for drive-by-shooting". They can have my Coors when they pry it out of my cold drunk fingers. :) (Might as well let the anti's have all the 1st A rights, all I want is the 2A).

gak
May 3, 2007, 05:15 AM
Crap, none of my guns are the "Ultimate Weapon.":(

Can't wait for the SSK ban tho, that should make us safe.

jeepmor
May 3, 2007, 08:48 AM
Remember the "Cops" episode where the bad guy threw a Mossberg Cruiser on the roof and one of the cops picked it up by the trigger guard and it went off!

I've never seen that one, but I still can't quit laughing. I hope no one was hurt, but I crying laughing here.

Not even Californian citizens want to give up their guns, okay by me.

4v50 Gary
May 3, 2007, 08:53 AM
Wow. Personally, I'd be embarassed to announce a total of "one" gun rounded up. Yep, I bet the citizenry all slept better knowing they were safer that day. :scrutiny:

SamTuckerMTNMAN
May 3, 2007, 09:09 AM
The rifle mentioned in the article is not an assault rifle. Buying whatever the police tell you is dangerous, if you fear careless reporting. The SKS is not an Ultimate Weapon, either. Now a man, a seemingly responsible one, has one less method of stopping the real danger to the peace and safety of L.A. - the people who still have their weapons (which by the way, they always will). Do not disarm the good guys, from their weapons, or the truth.

st

Sistema1927
May 3, 2007, 10:04 AM
the big one

I am afraid that this is what the taxpayers got out of this. :barf:

Autolycus
May 3, 2007, 11:29 AM
The Ultimate weapon huh? I wonder if there SWAT team would be angry if they were forced to carry SKS rifles instead of M4s and MP5s and other toys us peasants are not allowed to own?

If you enjoyed reading about "Los Angeles gun roundup gets only one gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!