45 Colt and HS7

PDA

JustsayMo
April 29, 2007, 09:18 AM
I picked some HS7 (very) inexpensively figuring I'd stretch the ammo budget some. I found some loads for 45 Colt and gave it a try. My Blackhawk loved it. 255gr SWC over 13.3gr of it produced 923 fps average and shot sub 2" at 25 yards offhanded. At 25 feet enlarged holes were the norm. Very comfortable shooting.

My Marlin 1894CB didn't like them as well. Averaged 1236 fps but the accuracy was poor 3+" at 50 yards.

I guess Hodgdon HS7 is no longer going to be manufactured :(

Anyone else using it in this or other calibers with good results?

If you enjoyed reading about "45 Colt and HS7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
April 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
When I had a Blackhawk in .45 Colt I shot 700X, Universal Clays and W296 depending on what power level I wanted. :)

All cast bullets. The W296 loads were heat treated hard cast. No leading.

CZ57
April 29, 2007, 02:06 PM
I don't use it, but Lyman used it in quite a bit of their older .45 Colt load data. Sub 2" groups offhand at 25 yards seems like a pretty good reason to keep using it!

It has been discontinued, supposedly, but last time I went to the Hodgdon site they were still showing that it was available. Sounds like you may have got a good deal on it and I'd be inclined to get some more now if the price is good.;)

ReloaderFred
April 29, 2007, 02:47 PM
For HS-7, you can also use any older data for Winchester 571. They are the same powder and it's an excellent choice in several calibers. I particularly like it for accurate loads in the 10mm with heavier bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "45 Colt and HS7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!