Marlin Camp 9

PDA

omega5
April 29, 2007, 11:35 AM
I found a gun case I really liked yesterday at a sale. It's a 2 gun hard case. Anyway the guy had a Marlin Camp 9 in it. Told him I'd give him $50 for the case. He said he'd take $100 for the case and the gun together. I bought it. Gun has 2 S&W mags with it that hold 18 rounds each. It has a Tasco World Class 3 to 9 power scope on it and a pack of those easy to see where you hit black/orange targets. All for $100. I emptied an 18 round clip thru it and it shoots good. Not one jam.
Anyway, I have never been interested it this gun or the .45 version and have never researched it so I know nothing about it. I was wondering if anyone can give me some info? Very little on the net about it that I can find.
Oh yeah, the barrel has been machined and threaded for a silencer/muzzle brake. Anyone know of one that would fit? If I keep it, I'd want to hide those threads. He said it was threaded for a standard AR silencer. (Whatever that is)
Thanks,
Dano

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Camp 9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe the Redneck
April 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
These were real hot 15 or 20 years ago. Choate made some cool little folding stocks for them. The became sort of a "poor mans" MP5.

Marlin wasn't that crazy about the idea. A gun writer got a cold shoulder from Marlin when he asked them about it. The offical positions was that they make sporting arms, not military weapons.

they really are nice little carbines, you got a great deal.

Joe

Gustav
April 29, 2007, 12:05 PM
Good little house gun or camp rifle great for kids & smaller adults and general plinking especially in the 9mm chambering ammunition is cheap and easy to find.
Little recoil or muzzle blast made 100% in the USA uses S&W 9mm mags, parts available from GPS/Numrich among other places.
Great find there and for that price I think you stole it!
The only problem with those is they quit making them.:(
Put a C-more sight or Aimpoint on it and have some fun using the extended S&W mags, no tin can will ever be safe from you again.:evil:

M2 Carbine
April 29, 2007, 12:16 PM
You got a deal. I see them at the gun shows selling for between 4 and 5 hundred. I saw a very nice 9mm at the show yesterday for just under $400.

I've had the 45 since they came out.

Check the buffer for condition. They will break up after a while.

alucard0822
April 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
I had one a few years ago, fun little plinker. They also make a bullpup stock for it, a little flimsy, the sights aren't great, and a scope or dot sight will be about 4" above the barrel line, but looks awesome, and is quite popular with the zombie hunting folks:evil:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57303&stc=1&d=1177859701

aubie515
April 29, 2007, 12:22 PM
I'd say you found a bargain for that carbine.

EAFO
April 29, 2007, 12:22 PM
my local shop has one in 9mm in pretty good condition for $350. Sounds like you just made yourself some nice $

Plink
April 29, 2007, 05:36 PM
You got quite a deal! Since Marlin stopped making them, the price has gone up fast. I bought mine new for under $300 back in the day. Now I see them for $400-500 often. It's one of my all time favorite guns. I've heard of some people having problems with theirs but mine has ran absolutely flawless on any ammo and those crappy USA brand mags. I've put many thousands of rounds through mine so far. I'd love to have one in .45. I sure wish Marlin was still making them.

I have mine in the Muzzlelite bullpup stock. It's a lot of fun but the trigger bar on the stock kit added to the already horrid Marlin trigger doesn't inspire great accuracy. Makes for a nice short, fast handling carbine for around the house and farm though.

If yours has had much use, you should change out the buffer. My buffers have lasted pretty well, but a lot of folks have had theirs crumble in just a few hundred shots. A broken buffer can allow damage to the trigger group. I believe Blackjack Buffers makes one for it now. If so, it would be light years in quality above the factory units.

Smith Enterprises makes a Vortex flash suppressor for the 9mm AR-15. That should fit the threading. Not that the 9mm has much flash from the long tube anyway. Not enough gas pressure at the muzzle to make a brake work either. I think I'd just thread a protector nut on it.

Congrats on an awesome deal!

Dave Markowitz
April 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
Good Lord you stole that. :what: Nice find!

Blackjack Buffers does sell replacement bolt buffers. I bought one from them for my Camp 45.

If you plan on shooting +P ammo (including NATO-spec 9x19), I suggest replacing the 11 lb. factory recoil spring with a Wolff 16 lb. spring.

silverlance
April 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
awesome deal. if it helps i was just about to put down 500 for a ruger pc9 not too long ago. i still kind of want it but for that much money it's silly. any girl that i take to the range that can't handle .223 or 7.62x39 is just a silly goose...

Plink
April 29, 2007, 05:51 PM
Dave's right about the recoil spring. I had been shooting a lot of +P in it on the stock spring. It functioned fine, but the heavier spring does work much better and it still functions fine with standard pressure ammo. The manual, at least MY manual mentions that you should never use +P+ ammo, but it doesn't specifically mention +P ammo so I assume that it's ok to use. Hasn't hurt mine anyway.

iamkris
April 29, 2007, 08:36 PM
Yup, you just got a $400 gun for $100

I hate you :p

Dan Forrester
April 29, 2007, 10:20 PM
Be careful! The barrels on these are EXACTLY at the 16Ē mark.

Aafter threading the barrel he might have re-crowned it (which is common after threading once the barrel is off the gun and in the lathe) and in doing so have taken it an 1/8 of an inch under the limit.

This would have given him an illegal SBR. His best idea was to get rid of it quick and cheap.

If so just weld a flash hider onto it. Standard .223 AR-15 thread pitch is 1/2X28 tpi.
This thread pitch is also common for 9mm silencers. However colt threaded their 9mm AR-15s for either 1/2X32 or 36 I donít remember which. This was to prevent someone form potting a .223 silencer onto a 9mm rifle.

The Marlin doesnít silence well so Iíve heard. It supposedly has too much action noise. You could probably fix this with a stronger recoil spring.

Dan

gezzer
April 29, 2007, 11:42 PM
I'll give you $300.00 for the Marlin and mags + I will send you a pick up tag for UPS.

I have a F4 on my camp 9 cutting the barrel to 6 inch and the overall with the Choate stock folded is 16 inches.

Action Noise? One plunge of an end mill made it a locked action, Click, Phutt, slam when the 147 grain bullet hits.

I can use another.

You got a super deal!!!!!!

10-Ring
April 30, 2007, 12:37 AM
Nice deal!

Deles136
April 30, 2007, 12:43 AM
You just got a great buy. I have the bullpup stock on my 9 and after I replaced the 20 plus # spring for much lighter spring and greased the tracks for the trigger bar I now have a very nice shooting carbine. I shoot clays at 100 yards and my sight is a cheap red dot. Much fun!

Firehand
April 30, 2007, 06:42 PM
There's another company that makes new buffers for them, Wisner's(http://www.wisnersinc.com).

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Camp 9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!