Do you have to be a citizen to apply for a gun permit?

PDA

MikePGS
April 29, 2007, 04:30 PM
I live in Michigan as does my uncle, who is a native of thailand. However, he has lived here for quite some time and has a green card and is interested in obtaining a handgun. He has been told in the past that he has to be a citizen in order to purchase a handgun, but i've heard things to the contrary. Does anyone know for sure the answer to this? Also he is moving to south carolina does anyone know if the laws are any different there?Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have to be a citizen to apply for a gun permit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nomad, 2nd
April 29, 2007, 04:36 PM
His greencard (And other paperwork) should do it.

Touchy example I know but look into the VT shooting. The shooter was not a citizen and got the guns legally.

Mortech
April 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
Your best bet is to call your local state patrol office , here in WA you do not have to be a citizen , all you need here a an Alien Firearm card and then you can get a CCW .

GRIZ22
April 29, 2007, 04:44 PM
It all depends on the state. Federal law permits legal residents to buy firearms some states don't. Carry permits are a state issue and once agin it depends on the state.

mnrivrat
April 29, 2007, 05:14 PM
I don't believe the poster was interested in a CCW as much as just a straight ability to purchase a handgun.

To the best of my knowledge there are no federal laws that prevent the purchase of fireams to non-citizens that are in the country legally. (having proper paperwork) .

A search of the BATFE should give the exact laws that apply.

Limeyfellow
April 29, 2007, 05:29 PM
His greencard and proof that he is a resident of the state is all that is needed. The gun store will write down the A# from the card and take a few details on a form, but other than that its no different than a citizen buying a firearm.

Of course in Michigan you still need to get a permit to buy a handgun but thats a state law. That requires going to your local law enforcement who do a background check, a little test on gun safety and swearing before a notary you are not barred from owning firearms by being a convicted felon or been ruled by a judge dangerous to the public and committed.

mp510
April 29, 2007, 05:56 PM
A resident alien can obtain a MI CPP. A CPP may be used in lieu of a purchase permit when purchasing a handgun.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

Standing Wolf
April 30, 2007, 12:51 AM
I know a British subject in Colorado who buys guns all the time and has the permit to carry.

Ala Dan
April 30, 2007, 06:59 AM
Yes Sirree-

A citizen and a resident of the state for at least six months~! ;) :D

wizard of oz
April 30, 2007, 08:15 AM
...i've been meaning to ask that question also on behalf of my brother. Aussie living in New Jersey and working in New York...been there about 6 months so far and will be there for at least 3 years.
handguns ? longarms ? ccw ? He has a wife and 3 young children to protect. Thanks in advance for any info you can point me towards.

MD_Willington
April 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
I'm a Canadian/UK citizen in WA State... As noted above;

Greencard + AFL + CPL = Legally armed, law abiding, permanent resident of the United States.

boerseun
April 30, 2007, 03:44 PM
I'm a greencard holder - purchase guns and ammo without any issues in Georgia.
God Bless the USA!

MD_Willington
April 30, 2007, 05:23 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering...

YES I plan on becoming a US Citizen as soon as I am legally allowed to do so, as I am required to reside in the USA for another 5 years after the green card is issued... so my card was issued June 2005...

I'm in for almost 2 of 5 years so far, March 2007 was the my 7 year anniversary of being a law-abiding resident of the US... 5 as a non-immigrant (not my choice) and just over 2 as a immigrant resident.

Not everyone that moves here is a bad person!

Belgiboy
May 1, 2007, 10:39 PM
Here in Minnesota a Legal Alien needs to prove that he was a resident on his adress for three months prior to the gun purchase, the most common documentation being utility bills with the name and adress of the purchaser. I also get routinely delayed when they call it in to the FBI/ATF, sometimes only half an hour but most of the time it is about a day. That is pain in the butt only when you buy at gunshows... Minnesota also requires a permit to purchase for handguns and that you can get from your local police department. I never had any real problems purchasing, it worked for me about fifteen times now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have to be a citizen to apply for a gun permit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!