Please help me ID Afghan militiaman's rifle

PDA

yokel
April 29, 2007, 07:54 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070427/481/rmx10604270659

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070427/capt.rmx10604270659.afghanistan_militia_rmx106.jpg?x=229&y=345&sig=RVxxfAZUEhVKKhQY6zyGMw--

Yeah, I realize that it's mostly obscured.

Perhaps an old bolt rifle of some sort.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please help me ID Afghan militiaman's rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
April 29, 2007, 08:02 PM
It's a .303 Lee-Enfield Number 4 rifle, or an Afghan copy of one.

Browning
April 29, 2007, 08:42 PM
.303 Lee-Enfield Number 4 rifle

From the way the muzzle looks, that would have also been my guess.

SigfanUSAF
April 29, 2007, 08:56 PM
Poor guy needs a stacking swivel

kbheiner7
April 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
Poor guy needs a stacking swivel

...and a retirement plan.

Gun Wielding Maniac
April 29, 2007, 10:15 PM
AK mag pouches + Lee-Enfield = does not compute. I guess maybe he keeps his smoke-pipe and weed in there.

MechAg94
April 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
What makes you think he has mags in those pouches?

Gustav
April 29, 2007, 10:53 PM
Definately an Enfield or copy.
What it did years ago it will still do today.

Eightball
April 30, 2007, 03:41 AM
AK mag pouches + Lee-Enfield = does not compute. I guess maybe he keeps his smoke-pipe and weed in there.He jus tmight be using anything he can get? That thingy looks like it would be handy for water/supplies/whatever, rather than just ammunition.

Or his recent crop of poppy. They grow that over there, IIRC. But that definitely looks like a good ol' Enfield.

PercyShelley
April 30, 2007, 11:44 AM
1) Do not mess with old rifles

2) Do not mess with old men, especially in conjunction with (1)

david_the_greek
April 30, 2007, 01:58 PM
I'll expand that last statement to say do not mess with afghans. Those are some bad mofo's. the mixture of those little mujahideen and our SF and combat air controllers took Afghanistan in such a ridiculous amount of time, there are a few really awsome books out there about both times we have been heavily involved in that country. anyone here do a cavalry/donkey charge at ruskies before? :D

.45&TKD
April 30, 2007, 02:58 PM
I wonder why he has an AK Chest mag pouch since he has a bolt action rifle.

junyo
April 30, 2007, 03:19 PM
I wonder why he has an AK Chest mag pouch since he has a bolt action rifle.
Pretty sure you could carry a s'load of loaded charger strips in those.

Coronach
April 30, 2007, 07:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that they take what equipment they can get. I bet they would not turn up their noses at AK chest rigs just because they didn't have AKs. And, as everyone has said, the rifle looks like a Lee-Enfield No4 rifle, probably an No4mkI.

If he is in the open field, has good ammo and knows how to aim, he could be saddled with a lot worse of a weapon. If he's lucky enough to have an accurate example of the breed as well, he could be very well equipped indeed.

Mike

HorseSoldier
April 30, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'll expand that last statement to say do not mess with afghans. Those are some bad mofo's. the mixture of those little mujahideen and our SF and combat air controllers took Afghanistan in such a ridiculous amount of time, there are a few really awsome books out there about both times we have been heavily involved in that country. anyone here do a cavalry/donkey charge at ruskies before?

Yeah, but we took it away from mostly Afghans when we did it (plus Arabs and Pakistanis, etc.). The local losers and winners over there seem to mostly have the same shooting abilities, or lack thereof. Hard little guys, for the most part, but not exactly crack marksmen.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please help me ID Afghan militiaman's rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!