remember old gun commercial?

PDA

sansone
April 29, 2007, 07:05 PM
anybody remember the old padlock TV commercial where a shooter has a benchrested, scoped rifle and prepares to fire a jacketed bullet right through the lock to demonstrate how it still won't release the shackle? It was pretty well done showing a close-up of the bullet penetrating the lock and exiting out the back. it wasn't a very big hole, maybe a 270? anybody else remember? and how come we don't see commercials like that anymore :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "remember old gun commercial?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grin Reaper
April 29, 2007, 07:08 PM
I think it was Masterlock, or something like that. Pretty sure it was a .30-06. And you don't see commercials like that because it's not pimping some stupid show you can vote somebody off of.
Just my opinion.

average_shooter
April 29, 2007, 07:08 PM
They probably don't make any locks that tough anymore.:neener:

sansone
April 29, 2007, 07:10 PM
I remember the case was big like a 30-06 but thought the 30 cal bullet would be much more destructive. maybe it was a special bullet. thanks for remembering with me :p

ASM826
April 29, 2007, 07:17 PM
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/1397/

Master Locks are "Tough Under Fire".

Jim Watson
April 29, 2007, 07:32 PM
That was a LOCK commercial.

There was also a GUN commercial with the Master lock flying completely apart. The punch line:
"Sorry, Master, it's a Weatherby."

never_retreat
April 29, 2007, 07:41 PM
average_shooter They probably don't make any locks that tough anymore.
Sounds like a project for towmorrow. Any one have a high speen camera they can lend me?

Nomad, 2nd
April 29, 2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot5.htm

Jim Watson
April 29, 2007, 08:36 PM
Wonder what a Weatherby would really have done?
Wonder what any of them would have done aimed down through the shackle against the top instead of splitting the laminations?

simulatedjim
April 29, 2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot5.htm

Incomplete test, more locks more shots!!!! how about S&W 460 or S&W 500?? More more omre.

Dorryn
April 29, 2007, 09:33 PM
Just FYI, from personal experience, Masterlocks are among the easiest padlocks to pick. I have been able to teach a novice to pick one successfully in under 5 minutes. And its a lot quieter than shooting it off. :D

wilson
April 29, 2007, 10:05 PM
I remember that commercail,

deck52
April 29, 2007, 11:12 PM
Master locks are as good as they ever were, its just that they are made in China now........

tmajors
April 30, 2007, 12:12 AM
Just FYI, from personal experience, Masterlocks are among the easiest padlocks to pick. I have been able to teach a novice to pick one successfully in under 5 minutes. And its a lot quieter than shooting it off.

Their spinner combo locks aren't too great either. My high school used Master Locks on the lockers. I could get into any locker inside of a minute. Not that I ever did that sort of thing or anything....

p35
April 30, 2007, 12:21 AM
I think they only showed that ad once a year during the Super Bowl.

April 30, 2007, 12:23 AM
That was a LOCK commercial.

There was also a GUN commercial with the Master lock flying completely apart. The punch line:
"Sorry, Master, it's a Weatherby."

Jim, is that for real? Have you seen it? I've heard about it before but just assumed until now that it was just an urban legend for gun people. I was going to say it was like the legendary Newlywed Game episode, but that turned out to be true. :scrutiny:

tommys
April 30, 2007, 12:26 AM
The boxoftruth demo is not accurate as to the original Weatherby commercial. The commercial had the lock resting on a piece of plywood or some other backing, not free swinging.

IMtheNRA
April 30, 2007, 12:33 AM
Master still uses the graphic of a lock with a bullet hole on their packaging. I just picked up a few at Home Depot and they all had that logo.

range_rider13
April 30, 2007, 01:20 AM
Check out this video on opening Master spinning combo locks with a beer can. This is scary also!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eGxRQlWTrM&NR=1

ReadyontheRight
April 30, 2007, 01:23 AM
Masterlock. They used to only show that commercial during the Superbowl.

Big bang for your buck you might say.

Ala Dan
April 30, 2007, 05:56 AM
Yep, I remember that MasterLock commerical. I also believe it was an '06~! ;)

Creeping Incrementalism
April 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
I once shot up one of the cheap Masterlock combo-dial padlocks with a 22LR from a Marlin 39A. It took about 20 shots before the lock opened up, and even then it was basicaly blown to pieces.

I also shot a fake samurai sword (unsharpened steel, 1 inch thick) with the same ammo and rifle. The 22s left a small nick. I then tried 12GA lead slugs from a 18.5" Benelli 1014. These left bigger nicks, but still split the slug and left the sword standing. I then tried 223 (American Eagle brand 55 gr. FMJ, I think, from a Mini-14), and the first bullet broke the blade. Of course by that time, the blade had been moderately damaged by all the other hits it took, and the 223 struck the blade at a slightly sideways angle, so a fresh blade facing straight on would have likely survived the hit.)

High Planes Drifter
April 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
Just FYI, from personal experience, Masterlocks are among the easiest padlocks to pick. I have been able to teach a novice to pick one successfully in under 5 minutes. And its a lot quieter than shooting it off.

Im guessing (somewhat hoping) your a locksmith......? :scrutiny:

ebd10
April 30, 2007, 12:04 PM
Anyone remember the Budweiser commercial where the guy shoots a piece of tin(?) with a rifle and makes an outline of a beer bottle and beer mug?

Spitzerbullet
April 30, 2007, 01:17 PM
I remember the old Bic pen commercials where they shot a Bic through a board using a .30-30 Win. Model 94 and a blank. The pen would still write after that abuse.

MD_Willington
April 30, 2007, 04:27 PM
Yep, I remember, child of the 80's here!

If you enjoyed reading about "remember old gun commercial?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!