Shooting Logs

PDA

Damien45
April 30, 2007, 07:38 AM
Can anyone help me with suggestions on starting and maintaining a Shooting/Maintenance Log? What do I record, ect.

I don't hand load (although I want to, just no place to set up yet).

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Logs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Dickie
April 30, 2007, 08:02 AM
I have a log book for each firearm that I own (you can buy those cheap books at Wally world for about $1.00 each).
I log in date purchased, who much (along with any receipts etc.) and then log in rounds fired and the date, and any repairs, changes, etc. Each book is stored next to the firearm in my safe. Only takes a second to record info when I return the firearm after a trip to the range.

Damien45
April 30, 2007, 08:18 AM
Do you track ammo used, grain, problems, ect?

Dr. Dickie
April 30, 2007, 08:26 AM
Yes.
I generally log the ammo I used (I handload, so I list which handloads).
If I had any problems, I list them and any changes I made to correct, as well as listing the final verdict (it is usually the magazine!).

Damien45
April 30, 2007, 09:35 AM
Ok thanks! One last thing, is the notebook anything special?

Dr. Dickie
April 30, 2007, 09:39 AM
No, I just buy those cheap notebooks at Wally world. Not spiral bound, just cheap things, can't think of the name.

ZeSpectre
April 30, 2007, 09:48 AM
I keep a series of word documents in a "firearms" folder.
They all start out with the information of the firearm (make, model, serial#, when and where purchased and cost) and a couple of small photos.

Past that I just keep sort of a running "journal" about any repairs, tweaks, adjustments and so forth and general notes about how the firearm performs.

I also keep an approximate count of rounds and what types they were. Nothing especially fancy.

Dixie_Amazon
April 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
Composition Notebook (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_book) perhaps?

Aguila Blanca
April 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
I use Excel.

There are also several gun owners' shareware programs out there that have logs already set up.

Dixie_Amazon
April 30, 2007, 08:49 PM
Found these at Download.com the first one is free and the second one has a 30 day free trail. As as always download at your own risk.

Firearms Collection Manager 1.0.25 (http://www.download.com/Firearms-Collection-Manager/3000-2131_4-10605411.html?tag=lst-0-1)

NM Gun Collector Software 2.1.1 (http://www.download.com/NM-Gun-Collector-Software/3000-2130_4-6470073.html?tag=lst-0-3)

trainwreck100
April 30, 2007, 09:16 PM
I shoot logs quite often with a .22lr...I just blow all of the bark off and take a reasonably good size chunk out of the middle....I don't, however, keep track of them in a book.

Dixie_Amazon
May 1, 2007, 06:14 AM
So... you keep your log in your head? :D

trainwreck100
May 1, 2007, 10:26 AM
No, no, no, I wouldn't want the log in my head...there's people shooting at it.

RavenVT100
May 1, 2007, 10:29 AM
All kids love Log!

beaucoup ammo
May 1, 2007, 10:32 AM
I have a "Shooting Log" for each of my range guns. You can vist Office Depot, Office Max, anywhere really and get a cheap record book for next to nothing.

I record Everything. Loads, scores, distance..you get the idea. I then transfer that info over to a special computer file. I have receipts for my weapons going back 21 years.

It's fun, and a wonderful reference for tracking your progress.

bdutton
May 1, 2007, 11:28 AM
RavenVT100: All kids love Log!

Log! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=H03PyhbRjSY)

Man, I loved Ren and Stimpy.

Smokey Joe
May 1, 2007, 12:34 PM
Damien45--MTM Caseguard (the people that make all those different plastic ammo boxes) puts out a "Handloaders Log" which includes room for each range trip, each firearm, each different load used. It also comes with a number of tabbed pages for separation.

Also comes with sets of different targets you can (1) shoot and (2) insert as pages for examples.

Works with pistol, shotgun, and rifle shooting.

It is aimed, obviously, at handloaders, but it contains everything any shooter could want .

Cost IIRC was $6.95 @ Sportsmans Warehouse, but Midway also has the same thing.

It works nicely for me. Am in the process of transferring all my old records from file folders as early as the 1970's, into this one volume. I set up one tab for each cartridge; so far it seems to be a nice, neat, compact, orderly system. Well worth the price IMHO.

Oh, and for shooting logs, I find that .22RF is good for youngsters and beginners. 12ga slugs remove the most bark per shot. Hardwood logs absorb more shots w/o falling apart than do softwood logs. After being shot up, any log will still do as firewood, but don't saw 'em--the bullets are hard on the saw teeth.

DirksterG30
May 1, 2007, 12:41 PM
I do mine in Excel - I have a separate tab for each firearm. I track the date, type and # of rounds shot, magazines used, and any failures/malfunctions. A formula gives me a total round count for each gun.

CWL
May 1, 2007, 04:54 PM
I use cheap Composition Books that cost anywheres from $.69-1.99. They have the heavy cardboard covers and can survive light rain and abuse at the range.

Don't forget to keep round counts of magazines so you can keep track mag springs changes.

The reason why I do not use computer software is because I like to have it at the range with me. real paper allows me to make notations about sight settings as well as allows me to draw useful diagrams such as shotgun patterning based on ammo and range.

rocinante
May 1, 2007, 10:42 PM
Oh. I thought maybe you had something against the tree huggers and wanted something that would get through logs they are loving. okay its a bomb but there is something fun sounding about shooting logs.

Lurper
May 2, 2007, 12:10 AM
Are you referring to performance logs or a maintenance log? Two very different things.

Barr
May 2, 2007, 01:07 AM
I keep all my reloading data in a giant excel spreadsheet. I tend to only keep one gun per caliber so it is very easy to track rounds used in each gun etc. I also have a column for which gun the round was fired in.

glockman19
May 2, 2007, 01:13 AM
I keep details on Gun serial number, purchase date with scan of DROS, and cost. I have not kept detailed logs on rounds fired. although I can deduce them from ammo purchase reciepts and range cards. After reading the previous posts I may add a column to my Excel spread sheets detailing rounds. I'm sure it is more important when reloading. As far as FTF & FTE I've only had issues with my Glock 26 that has been sent back to Glock for a new ejector. I will keep more details in the future.

Thanks for the thread. enlightening

Damien45
May 2, 2007, 01:49 AM
Are you referring to performance logs or a maintenance log? Two very different things.

Well, I guess I don't know. Could you expand please?

New gun owner
April 6, 2009, 11:13 PM
Check out this new website, RangeLog (http://www.RangeLog.com), that lets you track your firearms (for insurance) and your shots for accuracy and scoring. I am a Beta tester and I like it so far.

New gun owner
April 6, 2009, 11:14 PM
Check out this new website, RangeLog (http://www.RangeLog.com), that lets you track your firearms (for insurance) and your shots for accuracy and scoring. I am a Beta tester and I like it so far.

memphisjim
April 6, 2009, 11:22 PM
raven its been forever since i even thought of the log song

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Logs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!