Tumbler vs Vibrator? Frankfort Arsenal

PDA

Lovesbeer99
April 30, 2007, 08:39 AM
They both clean brass using media, so what is the advantage of 1 over the other?

By the way, Midway is selling a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler / separator combo. Any opinions on Frankfort?

Thanks
Lovesbeer99

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbler vs Vibrator? Frankfort Arsenal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matt Dillon
April 30, 2007, 08:53 AM
I have used Frankford arsenal tumblers for years. In my opinion, a very good value.

delta53
April 30, 2007, 09:25 AM
Tumbler works faster and you can use wet cleaning material

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
April 30, 2007, 10:12 AM
If it's the rotary media separator and tumbler that's on sale, buy it. It's a great value for the money. I've had the same thing for almost 10 years now.

Regards,

Dave

armoredman
April 30, 2007, 10:56 AM
Been using the smaller blue Franford Arsenal tumbler for a while, good peice of equipment!

snuffy
April 30, 2007, 01:37 PM
it sounds like you're confused?:confused: Here's a rotary tumbler made by thumlers;
http://www.einsteins-emporium.com/earth/geology/eg933.htm

They can easily be used to tumble brass cases, some people swear by them. They can also be used with wet media, as has been mentioned.

The vibratory tumblers use dry media, just about everything has been tried as media. Best is crushed walnut hulls, and/or ground corncob.

In my experience, the vibratory tumbler will do a better job, quicker, especially when you use un-coated corn cob media with a a brass polish additive. I used flitz untill I tried the frankford arsenal brass polish additive.

SSN Vet
April 30, 2007, 03:56 PM
better check carefully with Midway before ordering....

that combo. sale was/is such a smoking deal that they were backordered with no end in sight when I tried to buy it. They were talking about "maybe" May delivery back in February.

I bought the vibrator (:rolleyes: ) by itself and "invented" my own media seperator.

ranger335v
April 30, 2007, 09:48 PM
Loves, as you note, they both work. But you will also note that the viberators dominate the market. There is a reason for that, more people like them than rollers. By far. :o

cdrt
April 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
When I first started reloading (1974), I bought a Lortone QT-12 tumbler from Gil Hebard Guns. There weren't a lot of vibrator types around then. It was pricey at the time but it's still running. I've used it with dry media and wet (for really dirty cases). Using walnut shells it only takes 15 to 30 minutes to get them clean and it holds a lot of cases.
They still make them; I think they run around $160 now, but it's a great product. A replacement motor, if I ever need one, runs around $50.
They're not much noisier than a vibrator type and you don't have to worry about it vibrating off your reloading bench.

Navy Vet & SWIFT Boat OIC

Lovesbeer99
May 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I have been hand washing my brass, but I ordered the Franfort Arsenal Kit today from Midway as it was on sale.

shoot safe (I do)
Lovesbeer99

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbler vs Vibrator? Frankfort Arsenal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!