S&W Disease Can I get a Price Check?

PDA

billhilly66
April 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
I have a "friend" who's ex husband's crazy old aunt died and left him several hundred guns!?!? He's kept the ones he wants and has been selling the others. I'm interested in some of the S&W revolves. Can you folks help me on a price for the following?

S&W 18 Mod 18, 4" Blue
S&W 48-4 4", Blue
S&W 15 85% finish, 5", Blue
S&W 36-6 2 1/2" Blue
S&W 16 3", "property of Sacramento Police"
S&W 60
S&W 64

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Disease Can I get a Price Check?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
April 30, 2007, 05:50 PM
It would be in your best interest to purchase some reading material such as Modern Firearms values or even the Bluebook. However I do have a couple of questions, The Model 36 are you sure about the 2 1/2 barrel? also the Model 16, 3 inch barrel ?, then it's been cut down from 6 inchs. Also the Model 15 only came in 4 inch barrel. Could be wrong, been wrong before and I know I'll be wrong again but I own one of each of those guns.

Walkalong
April 30, 2007, 05:53 PM
I have heard of a 6" barreled Mod 15, but not a 5". Of course, I'm no expert. :)

billhilly66
April 30, 2007, 06:36 PM
I had the same questions. I never heard of a 3" m16 or a 5" m15. I've got to call the guy to get the details. My friend admits she probably wrote it down wrong as she doesn't know guns. (She had the m16 as a .38)

I was just asking to save time. I got the list today and wanted to move on it if I could get good deals.

JoeHatley
May 1, 2007, 01:50 PM
I'll bet the model 15 is a mis-measured 6", similar to this 15-6 I have.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/15_6l.jpg

Joe

Ala Dan
May 1, 2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by: Ron James

"Also the model 15 only came in a 4" barrel"

No Sirree, the S&W model 15 also came in a 2" barrel, chambered
in .38 Special; I know, cuz I had one~!

ugaarguy
May 1, 2007, 02:26 PM
The Model 36 are you sure about the 2 1/2 barrel? also the Model 16, 3 inch barrel ?, then it's been cut down from 6 inchs. Also the Model 15 only came in 4 inch barrel.
Since the model 16 is Sacramento PD marked it may very well have been ordered from S&W with a non-standard bbl length and not cut down. As Ala Dan has already stated, the M15 was available in several bbl lengths, but you are correct that 4" is most common. Those two guns, the 3" Mod 16 in particular, peak my interest. They would both be well worth the $30 each to get lettered from S&W and see what Mr. Jinks has to say.

Old Fuff
May 1, 2007, 03:21 PM
From a custom ordered gun perspective, a model 36 with a 2 1/2" barrel, a model 15 with a 5" barrel, and a model 16 with a 3" barrel are possible, but not probable. None match the cataloged barrel lengths for the listed models. While one should, "never say never," when it comes to Smith & Wesson's I think the greater probability is that the guns belong to someone that has mixed up model numbers and barrel lengths. If a knowledgeable person should confirm that the barrel lengths do indeed match the model numbers I would get them "lettered" at the factory by Roy Jinks. If they turned out to be genuine, collectors would offer a considerable amount to buy them, but until they are lettered I wouldn't get excited.

billhilly66
May 1, 2007, 03:22 PM
I'm going to meet with the guy this week and get the particulars, pics too if I can. His ex is sure she goofed on some of the details so we'll see. I'm pretty interested in finding out the deal on the M16 myself. Apparently, he's got som Colt revolvers as well and wants to get rid of about 70 guns total.

I may offer to help him move them so I can support my habit:D

I'll post again when I find out what he's really got.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Disease Can I get a Price Check?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!