Most respected firearm manufacturer

PDA

Machete
April 30, 2007, 08:12 PM
Which firearm manufacturer do you respect the most, in terms of quality, reputation, product, and anything else you can think of?

Right now I'd go with springfield. Although they have no real association with the original springfield armory they keep the name alive. They also are heavily active in pro-gun legislature, not to mention they make an affordable quality product with a lifetime guarantee. My next pistol will hopefully be one of they're 1911's.

I can't list the 2000 some gun manufacturer's on the poll, so sorry if I missed your pick.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most respected firearm manufacturer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
April 30, 2007, 08:16 PM
Sig Sauer

Deer Hunter
April 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
I'm going to go with CZ. Every single CZ owner I've ever seen has been exceptionally happy with their purchase.

PistolNewbie
April 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
I haven't had a lot of experience with numerous brands, but I own 2 Rugers, one S&W, and a Browning. I really enjoy shooting my Mark II and Single Six. They have given me a lot of bang for my buck (pun intended).:D

Quintin Likely
April 30, 2007, 08:37 PM
Sig Sauer, Remington, or Marlin for me.

tinygnat219
April 30, 2007, 08:38 PM
CZ

Avenger29
April 30, 2007, 08:39 PM
Barrett Firearms. For having the guts to stick up for our rights and deny thier products to the LAPD.

Marlin for producing quality firearms.

CZ for the same reason.

Savage because they make affordable, qualtiy rifles.

I do not respect HK because of their attitude torwards civilian gun owners (We're HK, and we hate you)

Remington had lost my respect with the J-lock and the magazine tube dimples, but they regained it by dropping Zumbo. To their credit, removing the J-lock and the dimples is easy...

Winchester used to make good stuff, but it declined in quality until the USRAC branch closed. Maybe someday they will come back into greatness again...

SoCalShooter
April 30, 2007, 08:39 PM
SA!

Joe Meyer
April 30, 2007, 08:41 PM
I would think Colt would be at the top,even though I don't like 'em.

a1huntingsupply
April 30, 2007, 08:43 PM
:rolleyes: Springfield Armory

Hoppy590
April 30, 2007, 08:43 PM
Davis!

oh wait... :(

skeeter1
April 30, 2007, 08:50 PM
I can't pick just one. For me, S&W for revolvers, Beretta for pistols, SKB for shotguns, and Marlin for rifles. Each company has their own niche.

Mr White
April 30, 2007, 08:56 PM
FN. Their longstanding reputation for quality, innovative designs and relationships with JMB and Dieudonne Saive have earned them respect in the firearms industry.

Titan6
April 30, 2007, 09:06 PM
Intratec

Just kidding

1. DPMS
2. Remington
3. Glock

gunsmith
April 30, 2007, 09:09 PM
for standing up to the anti's

Ethereal
April 30, 2007, 09:09 PM
Colt definitely. Out of all the choices, the grand master is Colt. Whether you like them or not, they are too much a part of this countries' history to ignore. The other manufacturer's have contributed some great pieces mind you, but in the end it's Colt who gets the most respect.

WeThePeople
April 30, 2007, 09:10 PM
Beretta

R.W.Dale
April 30, 2007, 09:10 PM
cz

Giolli Joker
April 30, 2007, 09:15 PM
Beretta... since 1526.;)

pryde
April 30, 2007, 09:15 PM
You forgot Fabrique Nationale, the manufacturer of our military's current rifle. (M-16s)

Capstick1
April 30, 2007, 09:25 PM
When it comes to shotguns I think Browning ranks first, remington second, benelli third. I think HK sucks for everything not because they don't make a quality product because they do, but more because of their refusal to bring their good stuff to the U.S. By good stuff I'm referring to their HK91, 94, 93, G36 etc. Instead the only thing we can buy from them is their pistols and these ugly, impractical "Civilianized" semiautomatic rifles that have small magazine capacities and look like something out of the "Planet of the Apes".

gyp_c2
April 30, 2007, 09:25 PM
...Colt previously and todays' heroes are Barrett...http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

lawson4
April 30, 2007, 09:27 PM
I had to vote "other" as FN wasn't listed.
They make ALL kinds of firearms.

lawson4

Geister
April 30, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'm surprised so many people answered S&W. Their guns, especially their DA revolvers, were good back in the day, but nowadays, after the agreement fiasco and the locks, I can't respect them that much. New guns are too expensive anyway.

rbernie
April 30, 2007, 09:46 PM
Barrett, for having the balls to put profit second and principles first.

Rasputin747
April 30, 2007, 09:47 PM
I surpised to not see Walther on the list. :(

Eightball
April 30, 2007, 09:47 PM
There's just something about a Smith and Wesson. Forget about the Fiasco with the locks, they still make a good product, and it's a respected name for a reason. The locks are a result of political pressure/legislation in varying states (such as where they're based, if I am not mistaken).

A lot of people around the world recognize Smith and Wesson.

MachIVshooter
April 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
My two top choices are not on the list. Kel-Tec and Barrett. Reason? Those two firms have the biggest cahones when it comes to BS legislation. And neither firm has ever sold out on us owners. Can't say as much for some on that list.

My preferred manufacturer will vary based on type of gun, though. Armalite for AR's, Remington for Bolt guns, MArlin for leverguns, Ruger for DA revolvers, etc.

mossberg
April 30, 2007, 09:53 PM
I like remington for guns, and Winchester's .22 ammo is going down the tubes.

WSM MAGNUM
April 30, 2007, 09:55 PM
Ruger. Ruger, and Ruger.:)

iamkris
April 30, 2007, 09:55 PM
Recently I am very impressed by Smith & Wesson. They're now run by buisness people that happen to be gun guys. They're taking chances and being innovative. Their quality is high. They are actively branching out and seem to be growing. Impressive.

SteelyNirvana
April 30, 2007, 10:04 PM
Marlin got my vote. My Marlin model 60 is and will always be my favorite long gun of all my guns. I am also happy with my 336A 30-30 that I bought last year. S&W would have got my vote as I treasure my pinned and recessed Model 66. But I hate the locks and the a local gunsmith has told me that S&W quality has gone downhill sense the old days from way back when my m66 was built. I like the talk about Ruger,everyone says that they make a good strong firearm and will give them a chance to make me a believer when I buy one of their single six's. I have no respect at all for Taurus (Think PT-908. That was a perfectly good waste of money and a pistol permit).

briancraig81

Kacerdias
April 30, 2007, 10:13 PM
While I have to give kudos to the classically respected names like Colt and Browning, I've never been disappointed by a Walther. The PPK is svelt, my P99C AS carry pistol is my favorite action of all, and P7M8 is one of the most wonderful handguns made.

Omaney
April 30, 2007, 10:56 PM
Funny isn't it? Smith and Wesson garners 15%+ of the vote so far, yet very few are singing their praises. I'll bet these folks rode mopeds too!:evil:

koja48
April 30, 2007, 11:01 PM
Don't own one & may never, but Barrett has my respect . . . they walk the walk right along side us.

armoredman
April 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ.gif

And Smith, for thier incredible pre-lock revolvers.

longhorngunman
April 30, 2007, 11:40 PM
I can't believe "Barrett" was not an option. Don't know another company that I respect more for telling .gov where to stick it when it comes to infringing on the 2nd. I went with another maker when I bought my .50 but sometimes I wish I'd of paid a few hundred more to get a Barrett just for Ronnie's strong support of our rights. And no ones in the crosshairs of the anti's more than those manufacturers in the .50bmg community.:mad:

TroubledOne
May 1, 2007, 01:57 AM
Personally I like S&W, I currently own 3; K19 4inch (great little revolver), 657 (great mid-sized revolver) and a 5906 (never a missed round, stovepipe or problems eating ANY ammo I feed it Period). I had my K19 re-blued and when it came back it was missing the spring for the hand, I called S&W they shipped it that day, at no cost. I realize that it is only a .51 cent part, but the fact is They wanted to get me back to shooting. :D

Beagle-zebub
May 1, 2007, 02:10 AM
I could never pick one, but that is much of why I like firearms: they are one of maybe three industries that make great products for relatively low cost. I can't think of any other industry that intentionally makes their products user-serviceable to such a degree, and with such an eye towards their products' reliability and longevity.

Hk996
May 1, 2007, 02:32 AM
I like CZ and les baer.

Gustav
May 1, 2007, 02:43 AM
For his iron balls Mr. Barrett
For his designs and company that carries his name he gave us many of the designs we enjoy today Mr. John M Browning

TexasP226
May 1, 2007, 03:15 AM
I voted for Sig.

pete f
May 1, 2007, 04:01 AM
pre buy out Sako, Anschutz, Cooper, USFA. of Course Barrett.

Good companies still exist, and they do it right.

The older Sako's were the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever shot and now Cooper comes close.

Ala Dan
May 1, 2007, 04:24 AM
SIG-SAUER

Smith & Wesson

However, I also like Springfield Armory very much~! :scrutiny: ;) :D

RealGun
May 1, 2007, 07:18 AM
My two Kahrs have worked perfectly for me. Designed for concealed carry, no politically correct features I don't need, never needed repair, never jammed, good looking, etc. What's not to like? I carry the T40.

However, my favorite gun is my Springfield 1911-A1 but only after it was returned to the factory to make it right. It is not a carry gun though, at least not for me. It seems huge. I use it to hit what I am aiming at. It makes me feel like a good shot. It seems I am not a master of the squeeze needed for the Kahr DA trigger pull, but I do okay.

db_tanker
May 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
Fabrique...so I selected other...

ALTHOUGH...Winchester and Beretta were two that I will have to say get a VERY honorable mention.

MTCW
D

Mac Attack
May 1, 2007, 07:59 AM
I voted for Colt but believe Weatherby is one of the most respected.

ShackleMeNot
May 1, 2007, 08:35 AM
Barrett. Top quality products made by people with integrity.

High Planes Drifter
May 1, 2007, 08:45 AM
Reading the thread title - "Which Firearms Manufacturer" , I interpret that you mean the corperate entity, rather than the firearm produced ; "which company", rather than "which gun".

I respect Barrett more than any other corporation for the guts they've shown. Not that Barrett doesnt make outstanding firearms. I just dont own one so I cant comment on them.

kds99
May 1, 2007, 09:42 AM
hi point should be on this list

DirksterG30
May 1, 2007, 09:56 AM
CZ and Barrett.

possum
May 1, 2007, 09:56 AM
Which firearm manufacturer do you respect the most, in terms of quality, reputation, product, and anything else you can think of?

Right now I'd go with springfield. Although they have no real association with the original springfield armory they keep the name alive. They also are heavily active in pro-gun legislature, not to mention they make an affordable quality product with a lifetime guarantee. My next pistol will hopefully be one of they're 1911's.

I can't list the 2000 some gun manufacturer's on the poll, so sorry if I missed your pick.

springfield armory for me too. i am very happy with them, they make great products at an affordable price and they stand behind there stuff. they have a great warranty on all thier stuff, and they have an awesome customer service.

i as well plan to get a sa 1911 the mc operator that is the next handgun that i will own. that has been on the dream gun list for a long time and now i can get one and by gosh i am gonna do it.

glockman19
May 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
It's got to be S&W. :) :D

How did Taurus get on the list. :rolleyes: :D :confused:

Not surprising it has 0 votes.:evil:

lionking
May 1, 2007, 12:08 PM
everyone listed I have or would purchase from other than Davis I think.;)

Im going to vote Taurus since nobody else has and the fact they have come a long way since their beginning.

Bubbles
May 1, 2007, 12:19 PM
Definitely Barrett. Doesn't matter that I don't own one yet, I'm saving my pennies...

ShelleyB.
May 1, 2007, 12:26 PM
I find this list very incomplete, so had to choose the "Other" option.

Manufacturers may have better reputations for their rifles than pistols or vice versa, but a more generalized opinion should have included many more manufacturers.

Hawk
May 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
How did Taurus get on the list.

Just a wild guess, but possibly by including NRA memberships with handguns at the exact moment Bangor Punta was actively forgetting any lessons they may have learned from Neville Chamberlain.

I'm not sure when "Brand Loyalty" became synonymous with "Respect" but I'm adaptable. Such confusion in the language will make the "magazine vs clip" wars and the "no such thing as .45 long Colt" posts impossible to take seriously henceforth.

Respect is what Ronnie Barrett earned.

Possibly American Derringer earned some due to their behavior during the dark ages of the late 20th century.

Maybe Taurus which took more interest in the 2nd amendment than their primary competitor at the time (dark ages again).

Maybe Bushmaster.

At this point in the poll H&K ("no EBR for you, serf!) is 13 ahead of Taurus (NRA membership included).

I believe I'll go shopping - I need some clips for my 1911 and more bullets for my .45 looooong Colt.

ebd10
May 1, 2007, 12:48 PM
Barrett Rifles has my respect for standing up to oppression

beaucoup ammo
May 1, 2007, 12:49 PM
Put "other" as my KAHR is like a fine Swiss watch and I respect that. Little P9 is worth the price and just keeps tickin'! If I could vote for 2, Smith would get a vote for my 20+ year old .357 model 65-3 "K" frame that just gets better with age.

MrDig
May 1, 2007, 01:17 PM
I have no specific "Brand" Loyalty but Marlin and Savage would be the Brands I would be Loyal to first. This is mostly due to Value and Quality. Good Quality for the Price point is # 1 Criteria for me.
I like Most Bolt Actions to the exception of Remington 710s.
I like no Lever Actions But Marlins.
I like 1911s and HPs, and Ruger Revolvers
Not a Clue when it comes to EBRs except I like FALs just for the .308
Pump action Shotguns it's a push, The Remberg/Mossingtons, tons of variety for them, again at a great price point. Then again Benelli and Beretta are fine firearms, an excelent choice, particularily the SemiAuto Montefeltro that I own.

What can I say I like a lot of different guns for different reasons.

Hokkmike
May 1, 2007, 01:30 PM
SAKO - The top, bar none.

Colt
May 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
Take a wild guess.

AugustusMcCrae
May 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
I like Hi-Point's customer service.

Not to mention Barret's good backbone. If I ever win the powerball, I'm so buying a Barret.

MartinBrody
May 1, 2007, 04:52 PM
Barrett Firearms!
Why? I will not sell, nor service, my rifles to those seeking to infringe upon the Constitution and the crystal clear rights it affords individuals to own firearms. - Ronnie Barrett, President Barrett Firearms Mfg, Inc.

Plink
May 1, 2007, 05:20 PM
I had to vote "other".

Being one who has no brand loyalty to anything, not guns, not vehicles, not guitar makers, not electronics, it's a hard question to answer. There are a lot of individual models that I respect for various reasons, but it's hard to pin down a maker.

I guess I respect Ruger for their reliable, durable and affordable handguns, though I don't like the guns themselves. I respect Kel-Tec for their innovative approach. Umm, CZ for making good guns all around, minus a few exceptions. Turned out to be harder to answer than I thought it would be.

CWL
May 1, 2007, 05:22 PM
H&K of course.

I'd also go with SIG, then SIGSauer, and also Wilson Combat for USA company

Soap
May 1, 2007, 05:39 PM
Barrett and Remington, for their strong 2A stances.

Bazooka Joe71
May 1, 2007, 05:40 PM
Another vote for CZ...I only have one(75SP01) myself, buts its not only one of my favorite guns, but moderately priced as well...The other reason I say CZ is because I have never heard one bad thing about any CZ firearm from anyone.

Stevie-Ray
May 1, 2007, 07:49 PM
Colt

rugbyer81
May 1, 2007, 09:04 PM
I voted other. It's Beretta in my book.

Essex County
May 2, 2007, 11:55 AM
Sako,Tikka, Styer Manlicher, Wheatherby and others. Essex

sansone
May 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
pick just one? my favorites: colt, smith, ruger, remington, marlin, savage

Lonestar49
May 2, 2007, 12:44 PM

:scrutiny: Other: Beretta, not even on the list of many fine gun manufacturer's, yet is the "oldest gun manufacture in the history books" and still going strong.

I detect bias

LS

P97
May 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
Ruger

If you enjoyed reading about "Most respected firearm manufacturer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!