How do transitional lenses work for shooting?

PDA

RM
April 30, 2007, 08:34 PM
Anyone have experience using transitional lenses for shooting- ones that go from clear to dark as sunlight increases? Do they work well for shooting or not? Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do transitional lenses work for shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Werewolf
April 30, 2007, 08:55 PM
Work just fine but even the ones that turn the darkest sometimes aren't as good as a good pair of sunglasses on a really bright day.

TallPine
April 30, 2007, 08:55 PM
"Photogray" - they work fine for me, though they don't get quite as dark as regular sunglasses. Quite weird with a straw hat though - you start seeing spots in front of your eyes :D

Now, if they would just make a lense that allowed you to focus on the sights and target at the same time ... :(

jamz
April 30, 2007, 09:07 PM
^ They do, but it's attached to the gun, and called a "scope". ;)

For me, any eyeglass lense that looks good enough to wear generally doens't provide enough protection for me to want to shoot with. I tried transitionals for a summer before deciding that it wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be.

gbran
April 30, 2007, 09:31 PM
They work for me when at the range, but I can't hunt in the woods with them because they get too dark when you're in shadows and don't lighten up fast enough.

Ala Dan
May 1, 2007, 04:42 AM
Works for these old eyes~! ;) :D

TallPine
May 1, 2007, 10:52 AM
They do, but it's attached to the gun, and called a "scope".
Yeah, that's the only reason I don't hunt with my old Model 94 anymore ... :(

I don't think a scope would work very well on a sidearm, though.

ball3006
May 1, 2007, 12:53 PM
However, I shoot at a range with covered benches so the lenses do not get dark. I have never had a problem shooting with sunglasses either. The darkest I have ever seen my lenses is when it is snowing......otherwise, no difference between transition glasses and sunglasses.....chris3

If you enjoyed reading about "How do transitional lenses work for shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!