Premium ammo failure

PDA

cold dead hands
May 1, 2007, 12:41 AM
Anyone ever have premium ammo fail?

I have had some cheap stuff fail, but never any premium stuff.

How about you?

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Premium ammo failure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hypnogator
May 1, 2007, 12:44 AM
Never had an ammo failure of any kind with centerfire ammo, and darned few that I can remember with rimfire.:)

Jay1958
May 1, 2007, 12:44 AM
Define fail.

I'm sure we've all had premium ammo "fail" in some sense... but it may actually have been a firearm failure instead.

Do you mean "fail to fire when adequately and correctly struck by a firing pin in a functioning firearm"? or what?

cold dead hands
May 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
I mostly meant failure to fire when hit properly by a firing pin, but failure to feed properly when other brands have not had that problem counts too.

Gun malfunctions affecting ammo do not count.

EllisWyatt
May 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
What kind of failure do you mean?

I had round 19 (from my first and only box of 20) of CorBon DPX 45 ACP snag on the feed ramp of my Kimber about a year ago. Of course the slide kept moving forward, so the hollowpoint got squished into a kind of egg shape. Needless to say that round did not feed. I've still got it sitting around here somewhere.

That's hardly catastrophic, but it was enough to make me go back to reliable ol' HydraShok for that pistol.

PotatoJudge
May 1, 2007, 12:57 AM
My dad missed a deer a couple years ago when his Federal 30-06 180grn Partition load misfired in his Rem 700. It was a good solid hit on the primer, it just didn't go off.

I guess it's considered a "premium" load.

earplug
May 1, 2007, 01:06 AM
Years ago I had a .38 spl +P fail to fire. Hit it several times with the firing pin.
Now I don't mind using my cheap reloads and rotating them often.

thexrayboy
May 1, 2007, 01:50 AM
I have had a couple of failures to fire over the decades. I have had several instances of certain semi autos not playing nice with certain brands of ammo and refusing to feed. These are raritys, especially failures to fire. Modern ammo has a reliability that should be called almost miraculous. Considering what it is expected to do and the environment it frequently has to endure before being called upon to function yet it still functions as intended
some 99.9999% of the time I'd have to say its a real bargain for the price.

50 Shooter
May 1, 2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah, seeing a fireball engulf your hands isn't fun. Hot pistol rounds and cases spliting can lead to :what:

Outlaw Man
May 1, 2007, 11:35 AM
I had a box of .22 where only about half of them would fire. It was a really old box, and I'm not sure of the environment they were kept in, so they very easily could have gotten wet or something.

I can't think of any other premium (or even the cheap stuff from the major brands) ammo failing.

-terry
May 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
Should be a poll.

the naked prophet
May 1, 2007, 12:07 PM
I had one round of Wal-mart "personal protection" Remington UMC 9mm 115gr JHP fail to fire. Several strikes on the primer did nothing.

The only premium self-defense ammo I've bought is several thousand DoubleTap 147 grain 9mm+P Gold Dots, and not a single problem with those, a few hundred 165 grain .40 Gold Dots, no problems, and a few hundred Speer Gold Dot .38 special +P 135 grain short barrel loads, no problems.

As far as rifles go, I had one round of Yugo M67 7.62x39 with no powder and no crimp (bullet set back in case instead of guiding cartridge into chamber) and one round where the primer didn't go off when struck repeatedly. Never had any centerfire problems besides that. I should mention that I've been through several thousand of both Wolf and Silver Bear with no problems...

eric.cartman
May 1, 2007, 12:08 PM
yes,
when i took my pistol training up in long island, my instructor had me shoot a Glock 19. i think the ammo was remington... one 9mm didn't go off on the first try. we loaded it again, and boom! but the primer was certainly dented after the first try.

now, wolf 7.62x39 in my AK... ALL THE TIME!!!

Brian D.
May 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
Shoot enough you'll see it happen, for sure. Just Sunday a pal at the range had one of his dept-issued HydraShok .45acp rounds not go off on the first try, it was hit pretty good too. This is why you must take practice somewhat seriously, as though it always has a training aspect to it. Otherwise you'll be conditioned to just stand there gaping when your gun doesn't go BANG! in a "for keeps" situation.

esheato
May 1, 2007, 01:38 PM
I had a 12 gauge Remington STS fail to fire. I sent it to Remington and they did some analysis. I received a letter from them a few weeks later letting me know it was a primer compound problem. It also included a voucher for some shells and a patch.

Ed

obxned
May 1, 2007, 02:12 PM
Never had a miss- or hang-fire. Did have a box of Fed 30-06 that wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn (about 6' group at 100 yards) while another box with the same lot number was normal. Very strange, but that was over 30 years ago and never had a problem since.

Dorryn
May 1, 2007, 02:54 PM
Ive been looking for a thread like this for a while...

I dont buy "premium" ammo because im on a fairly limited income, but ive had a LOT of manufacturer problems with ammo recently. I found a rimmed case without that groove cut into the shell above it (im sure theres a term for it but I dont know it) that made the round protrude about 0.1mm farther than the rest... and i couldnt get the cylinder closed in my S&W 637 (which is how I found it).

A short time later, i was visually inspecting some Blazer aluminum rounds because ive been trying to shoot all the stuff I bought a couple months back to get rid of it, and i found two in the same box where the bullets had been set too deep, one of which was so deep that the resulting round was a full 3mm shorter than the average .40 round.

Should I send these back? Where would I send them? I CANT physically even attempt to fire the .38 SPL... and i would be nervous to try to shoot the two .40 cal rounds....

I guess you get what you pay for, but since I did pay for it, I feel like im owed some sort of quality control even when im not buying premium.

Lashlarue
May 1, 2007, 02:59 PM
Only failure s I had came from the same batch of White box, two bad primers, the remainder of the box fired fine.This was 10+ years ago when ammo was in short supply at the beginning of the Assault Weapons Ban[1994]

Cheeseybacon
May 1, 2007, 03:23 PM
I had one round of CCI Blazer Brass in .45 ACP fail to fire once. Actually it did fire, sorta. It went about 3 inches up the barrel of my 1911 and then stopped. No idea what could cause that, all I know is it was a pain in the arse getting that bullet out.

From what I've been told, Blazer Brass isn't exactly "top-shelf" ammo, so something like this should not have surprised me.

Lonestar49
May 1, 2007, 04:37 PM
Quote: Anyone ever have premium ammo fail?
-------------

That would be considered unPatriotic, unAmerican, traitors to the cause and, the makers of new, defunk-tive ammo should be run out of the country.. j/k

Remember, "Freedom of Choice" is what it-IS ALL about.

LS :neener:

PS.. NO failures: 2850 rounds of both, FMJ, and JHP's, without a misfire or jam with all 3 of my pistols, and I expect the same from my otw 4th, 22 days from now, using NEW ammo, only, as a personal "choice of mine".

heypete
May 1, 2007, 04:51 PM
Nope.

I've never had any premium ammunition fail to fire at all, even in rimfire (by "premium", I mean stuff like CCI Standard Velocity, Wolf Match Target, SK, Eley, etc. in rimfire, and stuff like Speer Gold Dots and other premium self-defense ammo in centerfire).

I've had plenty of cheap .22LR ammo fail to fire on the first hit (and a few that failed to fire at all), fail to feed, or fail to eject, but no big deal. I think I've had two centerfire rounds fail to fire, but they were factory reloads and not a big deal at all (I tap-rack-banged before I consciously noticed the rounds were bad :evil: ).

mpmarty
May 1, 2007, 04:53 PM
I've had misfires from WWB, RYB (Remington yellow box) and hydra shocks. I've never had a ftf from Cor Bon, Hornady or my favorite "Taurus" 45acp which is actually PMC nickel plated brass, Barnes solid copper 185gr hollow points and Hodgden powder loaded for Taurus by PMC and packaged under the Taurus name. My reloads are all done on a Dillon 550B and I've never had a problem with one other than getting the lead out on one rough barrel.

Jkwas
May 1, 2007, 05:00 PM
I recently had problems with magtech 38spl LRN. Had about 5 duds. Primers were dimpled just like the others, just didn't shoot.

possum
May 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
i have had zero problems with premium jhp's and other types of ammo. the only types of ammo i have had any issues with is blaser aluminum case in one gun in particular and 2rds of umc 180gr fmj, the bullet was set back in the case pretty far and the powder had came out, this also happened to me with umc yellow box .223 once as well.

6Covered
May 1, 2007, 09:07 PM
After thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds, had my first a couple of months ago. Remington 175gr Silvertip 10mm. Pulled the trigger and had a squib. My first ever. Didn't even realize it when it happened. Fortunately it locked up my S&W 1006.

gyp_c2
May 1, 2007, 09:43 PM
...Cor-Bon 38Super 125 @ 1350...failed to feed...
Case was NOT full-length sized for some odd reason...They were R-P brass cases too...It's so rare that I didn't bother bitchin' about it...I've shot hundreds' of varied Cor-Bons with nothing but perfect performance until that one...Didn't lock the 1911, just TRB and shot the next one...http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

NAK
May 1, 2007, 10:15 PM
I had two bad Federal Fusion 243 rounds earlier this year...luckily they were at the range. In 30+ years of shooting, they are the only AMMO related rifle misfires I have ever had.

I cannot remember a pistol misfire with premium ammo; but I shoot about 100X more of the cheap stuff.

Tang
May 1, 2007, 11:52 PM
Seen .45 ACP packed in .40 Smith & Wesson box.

I have also seen primers in backward.

If you enjoyed reading about "Premium ammo failure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!