Preparing for war

PDA

cold dead hands
April 30, 2007, 11:48 PM
Anybody else wonder if this country is not going to be able to respond to another world war like we did for WWII?

With industry going overseas and our economy going to a sevice and technology setting are we going to be in big trouble when it comes time ramp up and turn out billions of pounds of metal for machines of war?

any input would be nice...thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Preparing for war" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shooter503
April 30, 2007, 11:52 PM
Try buying a US made industrial type lathe. Good luck.

Biker
April 30, 2007, 11:54 PM
China makes many of the electronic componants for our military weapons, including missiles. We've shut down many of our factories.
If a guy didn't know better, he might think it's part of a big plan.
Keep your 'tin-foil' comments to yourselves, folks.;)

Biker

230RN
April 30, 2007, 11:59 PM
I got in a lot of hot water about a year ago on that subject by advancing the notion that we had beaten ourselves already.

I wondered about what mines we'd have to reopen, what transport facilities we'd need to rebuild, where we were going to refine the iron ore, etc.

I compared our industrial outpout, trammeled as it is by excessive regulation, to China's, where nobody would really care if an electronics manufacturer dumped freon (used to clean circuit boards) down the sewers.

I closed with the remark that the only thing the US produces currently is bytes.

Old Fuff
May 1, 2007, 12:01 AM
Not to worry... Wal-Mart can get everything we need from China... :uhoh: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I can remember World War Two, and no we couldn't duplicate the production that we did then. Most of our heavy industry is gone, and we are increasing dependent on imported raw materials in addition to manufactured goods.

"Free Trade" means that other countries are free to take advantage of us, while they refuse our products.

pax
May 1, 2007, 12:06 AM
I think this one's a little too far off-topic.

Feel free to ask the same question over at APS.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "Preparing for war" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!