Oddest Home defense gun?

PDA

andrewdl007
May 2, 2007, 12:35 AM
Ok, Iíve seen the threads about what is the oddest gun you ever carried as well as what is your home defense gun. I wanted to combine these two ideas and ask what is the strangest or rarest gun you ever kept around the house for the sole purpose of home protection. I would say that a MAB model D or a 1935 Beretta, both in .32 ACP are the most obscure guns I have used for home defense.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oddest Home defense gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
May 2, 2007, 12:51 AM
Personally.

Long gun:
Bounty Hunter with one barrel 45-70 and the other barrel 12 ga, loaded with a slug.

Handgun: Taurus Raging Bull in .454 with a Beretta Minx in .22 short for ...backup.

Err...Run what you brung got handy.

Biker
May 2, 2007, 12:58 AM
For me, it was a Davis .38 Derringer and a Raven .25 duo. Although not ideal, I figure I still would've got the job done. Glad I never had to prove it.

Biker:)

never_retreat
May 2, 2007, 01:49 AM
M9 with a 30 rnd mag.:D

TheFederalistWeasel
May 2, 2007, 01:52 AM
Old man I once answered a call to years ago had a really loooooooooooooong black powder rifle as his sole home defense gun.

ArchAngelCD
May 2, 2007, 02:59 AM
Old man I once answered a call to years ago had a really loooooooooooooong black powder rifle as his sole home defense gun.
Getting hit with a half inch hunk of lead would go a long way towards ruining you day!!
It would probably leave a mark too!!!! :neener:

Plink
May 2, 2007, 03:30 AM
Long ago my home defense guns were a Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum and a Mini-14. I didn't have anything else at the time but hunting guns. Well, I did have a Mossberg shotgun with a barrel about a mile long that would have been a better choice, but our hallway was narrow and the shotgun didn't manuver well. So I stoked the Redhawk with .44 specials and that made do until I could afford something better.

Chrontius
May 2, 2007, 05:06 AM
Plink: How is a mini-14 or a Redhawk odd? Other than the Dirty Harry factor of the Redhawk, of course. Mini-14's pretty high on my 'oh **** someone just kicked down the door' list.

MilsurpShooter
May 2, 2007, 09:34 AM
JR Stevens Single Shot 12 guage. Plastic stock extremely long barrel.

Backup?

Machete

Joe Demko
May 2, 2007, 09:56 AM
Remington .44 cap and ball clone.

foghornl
May 2, 2007, 09:58 AM
At one time, my only handgun was a CVA replica "1858 Army Remington".

Perhaps not conventional in terms of a CCW gun, or even a HomeLand Security gun, but being the bullet trap for one of those .44-cal pure lead balls would certainly rain on your parade.

Jamie C.
May 2, 2007, 10:12 AM
Inch-and-a-quarter bore black powder cannon. :D

I used to keep it set up in the living room, pointed at the front window.

I figured anyone peeping through the window and seeing that gaping maw of a muzzle would probably decide on easier pickings. :p

And if they didn't...well... better hope I didn't get the fuse lit before they got through the window. :evil:

Of course, having kids and dogs running around the house now precludes such sadistic amusements, and I've had to go to more practical means for H.D.

And the wife would no doubt object to a 3 ft. long, 70 pound cannon as part of the decor. :(

J.C.

High Planes Drifter
May 2, 2007, 10:23 AM
A single shot .410 my Dad gave me. It was all I had, he gave it to me when I got my own place when I was 18. I still have it. I killed my first rabbit with it, and my brother killed his first deer with it.

Long gun:
Bounty Hunter with one barrel 45-70 and the other barrel 12 ga, loaded with a slug.

Good - ness:what: You knew someone was goign to ask this , have you ever fired both barrels at once.?

ZeSpectre
May 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
For me personally, Beeman Tempest Pellet gun (hey, it was all I had at the time). Still the damned thing would go halfway through a phonebook so I suspect it would get somebody's attention <grin>.

I knew someone who had two dangerously loose old Iver Johnson pistols. He used to joke about throwing them to the bad guy and letting HIM pull the triggers.

Firethorn
May 2, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hmmm...

Oddest gun I ever carried. Not really 'Odd' but I've proposed(in jest...) taking my M1 into work if things ever got hairy. Might only have eight shots a reload, but by golly the bad guy would know he was hit.

My normal carry piece is a CZ75BD

Oleg Volk
May 2, 2007, 12:08 PM
Ex-GF -- 20 ga bolt action without a functional magazine. It would have worked somewhat well.

mbt2001
May 2, 2007, 12:12 PM
A .22lr Browning Buckmark with the heavy 6" barrel... Had 5 x 10 round magazines alternated with the first two shots being .22lr hp and then the remaining round nose .22lr.

One of the first I ever bought. I have know doubt however that once I unloaded a clip in about a half second hostilities would cease.

Essex County
May 2, 2007, 12:14 PM
Probably a .32ACP Fromer. Essex

Deanimator
May 2, 2007, 12:22 PM
Not home defense, but college dorm room defense. A 7.92x57mm Model 91 Commission Mannlicher Artillery Short Rifle.

scbair
May 2, 2007, 12:23 PM
Me? A cropped-barreled Webley MkVI, with a gold bead front sight; so darned ugly I doubt I'd have to fire to stop anyone who saw it!

Not a firearm, but my son told me of a storeowner who kept two terrariums; one, prominently displayed during business hours, contained a large rattlesnake. The other, out of sight in a storeroom during the day, was identical, with no snake. He proclaimed to all customers that he released the snake at night, to deter burglars. Upon closing the store each day, he just switched the terrariums . . Anyone peering in would see an empty terrarium, where an "occupied" one had been during the day. . .. :evil:

What caliber rattler for burglars? :confused:

Outlaw Man
May 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
Getting hit with a half inch hunk of lead would go a long way towards ruining you day!!
It would probably leave a mark too!!!!
Plus, you get a smokescreen to conceal your movements toward any knives or blunt objects you have for backup.

I haven't had anything unusual, but my housemate in college had a six-foot battle ax beside his bed. It wasn't his primary weapon, but it was definitely his go-to for zombies and door-to-door salesmen. :D

arkangel06
May 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
ive used before an american classic single shot 10 pump 177 cal air pistole

arkangel06
May 2, 2007, 12:38 PM
my seccondary is a katana

Hoppy590
May 2, 2007, 01:23 PM
my mosin would brobibly be the oddest. maybe a barreled action should it ever come to that.

just wait till i can get into DD's il put a 2 pound gun in the yard and point it toa Big X on the floor of the hous... :)

Threeband
May 2, 2007, 02:59 PM
For a while, long ago:

Uberti-made 1851 Navy, 5 rounds maximum powder charge, round balls, hammer down on the empty.

billhilly66
May 2, 2007, 03:44 PM
VZ24 Mauser with bayonett.

(Nothing like a naked bayonett charge at 3am)

BayouTeche77
May 2, 2007, 03:56 PM
The guns I keep for home security next to the bed and the door are not that odd, bedside: Winchester 1300 w/ 3 rounds of 00 buckshot, hidden by the door: Ruger P95 with a full magazine of Hydrashok.

But, the oddest I've ever had the chance to use was ca. 1987 Nintendo Duck Hunting gun (you know, that ugly grey and orange plastic contraption with the eight foot cable, yeah, that one). I was playing that old Duck Hunt game, warming up for the opening day of teal :D this past season, when I heard my door knob twist. I was the only one home since my fiance was at her parent's house, I had just spoken to her and she was still there. My door is usually locked but since I had all the windows open with the blinds up and curtains open since it was about ten a.m. I left it unlocked after coming back from walking the dog.

As the door started to open, really slowly for some reason, I jerked the plastic gun controller out of the console and let it fly towards the door. Just as I let go, my best friend's face peered into room and he got a world of retro gaming plastic hurt put on him. His eye bled for a good twenty minutes, and I laughed the entire time. He learned his lesson that day though, when I showed him what was sitting only six feet away from me and where I was heading before I recognized him. I also learned to just keep the damn door locked no matter what.

Sharps-shooter
May 2, 2007, 07:48 PM
for the longest time, my one and only gun was an original 1878 sharps rifle, in 45-70.

Scanr
May 2, 2007, 07:56 PM
I have an old 16ga with a slug, buck shot, slug, combo.

Hoppy590
May 2, 2007, 07:58 PM
As the door started to open, really slowly for some reason, I jerked the plastic gun controller out of the console and let it fly towards the door. Just as I let go, my best friend's face peered into room and he got a world of retro gaming plastic hurt put on him. His eye bled for a good twenty minutes, and I laughed the entire time. He learned his lesson that day though, when I showed him what was sitting only six feet away from me and where I was heading before I recognized him. I also learned to just keep the damn door locked no matter what

one of THE BEST storys iv ever read.

pistolman1974
May 2, 2007, 08:05 PM
Blunderbuss:neener:

Kaeto
May 2, 2007, 08:09 PM
1860 Union Navy Cutlass.

MagnumCaliber357
May 2, 2007, 08:28 PM
How about that "housegun" with the elmer fudd barrel. It seems that the website is no longer working so cant get a picture of it. :(

coelacanth
May 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
16 guage Lefever Nitro Special side by side.

Leedavisone
May 2, 2007, 09:31 PM
How many home defence guns are there that are actually used for just that? My Grandmother Vella kept a .22 Special in her house in North Carolina for defense. One night, (maybe about 1925?), a man came in through a window, probably to rob the place. He was confronted by my Grandmother, made a few threatening moves, and a few remarks, then faced a tiny woman with a rifle. He went out the window, and as he was running away, she pumped a half dozen rounds into him... he was never heard from again. I still have the .22 Special pump rifle. Ammo is tough.

"Fortunately, I always keep my feathers numbered" -Foghorn Leghorn

VA27
May 2, 2007, 10:25 PM
One of my newer toys the IAC 1887 clone 12ga. Smooth, fast, and best of all it's a lever-action!!

STAGE 2
May 2, 2007, 10:41 PM
My Webley. Works exceptionally well against any questionable looking Zulu.

GigaBuist
May 2, 2007, 11:29 PM

I kept my Bounty Hunter w/ 00 Buck handy for quite some time.

Err...Run what you brung got handy.

Run whatcha brung to the range the most recently is my motto. :)

biermkr
May 3, 2007, 09:28 AM
Uberti Colt Walker Replica .44

jeepmor
May 3, 2007, 10:57 AM
Mossberg .410 shotgun in college for me, small rural town in Southern Oregon.

Yet my dog Keisha, a shepherd mix, insured I never needed it. Prowler and her scooted off the back porch on their merry way, dog came back in 15 minutes, prowler....moved on.;)

geekWithA.45
May 3, 2007, 12:22 PM
I don't have one, but I invariably think of the Ithaca Auto & Burglar, a short 20 gauge shotgun with 10" barrels that was sold as a home defense/trunk gun prior to NFA '34.

Pitt762x54r
May 3, 2007, 01:14 PM
The M44 is always loaded and ready with the bayo out. The downside is if I miss with surplus FMJ it will go through the three walls and hit someone 6 miles away. But after the shockwave any sane person will be gone!

and I won't hear for a week.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oddest Home defense gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!