Well this is refreshing

PDA

cuchulainn
January 7, 2003, 06:38 PM
Being tired of seeing medical associations that simply parrot Brady/VPC et al., I'm refreshed to find that the Foundation for Spinal Cord Injury Prevention gives "The Rules" and about 35 other generally good rules like not climbing trees with loaded guns or not using your scope as a spyglass.

I'm especially impressed with THIS bit of firearm safety advice from them at http://www.fscip.org/GunSafety.html :
5. Remember: a backup firearm carried about your person maybe highly valuable to you in the event your primary firearm is ever rendered inoperable or is taken from you by an assailant. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Well this is refreshing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
January 7, 2003, 06:59 PM
Does it say anything about carrying a handgun in a small-of-the-back holster? :D

Peetmoss
January 7, 2003, 07:06 PM
Very impressed.

Blackhawk
January 7, 2003, 07:10 PM
Wow! Never expected something like that! :D :neener:

P95Carry
January 7, 2003, 07:13 PM
The back up piece is good advice ..... only prob generally is where to carry it .... :(

Best I have managed usually is keeping a spare mouse gun in a pants pocket, or maybe fanny pack. Otherwise it has to be snubby on hip .. while main piece in sho rig. Add to that a paddle mag pouch sometimes with two mags ... and one starts to get somewhat ''laiden''!

HS/LD
January 7, 2003, 07:15 PM
Someone in there is a gun owner!!

We are everywhere!

Fantastic

HS/LD

sm
January 7, 2003, 07:17 PM
I'll be, surprised , a good surprised.
award smilie...where are you?

P95Carry
January 7, 2003, 07:26 PM
award smilie...where are you? Will a salute suffice?

http://www.patriotnetwork.net/images/smilies/salute.gif

Or maybe a bow?!

http://www.patriotnetwork.net/images/smilies/bow.gif

SkunkApe
January 7, 2003, 08:17 PM
What about this one?

"14. Avoid trying to catch a live round (while unloading a semiautomatic pistol) by cupping your hand around the ejection port while retracting the slide; doing so may result in an accidental discharge."

I haven't heard this one before. I would think that the most you are are risking is a crushed case. Am I wrong?

hso
January 7, 2003, 08:27 PM
Skunkape,

I think that #14 comes from the potential for fumbling the firearm while trying to eject a round into the hand. The most positive grip on a handgun doesn't allow you to do this easily. Should you "fail" to execute this you can fumble the round back into, or nearly into, the chamber with the slide falling into place. I actually had this happen once and decided that juggling loaded guns was for Vegas and not this ol' boy from Tennessee.

P95Carry
January 7, 2003, 08:36 PM
"14. Avoid trying to catch a live round (while unloading a semiautomatic pistol) by cupping your hand around the ejection port while retracting the slide; doing so may result in an accidental discharge." That one skunk is I think very much down to the weapon and proficiency with same.

I found that when I practiced this originally (finger off trigger, of course) .. there was an easy tendency to keep the body still and move the gun so as it could point very unsafe. It needs IMO a rotation of body to right whilst bringing left hand over to manouver the slide and gun rotated 90ยบ clockwise .. if the grip is good and slide taken back firmly, the round should fall into cupped hand, no probs.

If extractor has failed to pick round up then careful closure and retry .... or total change of position to inspect from above.

Never caused any damage to a round this way, and if gun always in safe direction .. the paramount rule with this approach ... no one gets hurt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Well this is refreshing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!