11 year old defends herself

PDA

The Unknown User
May 2, 2007, 12:52 PM
The forum thread where I found it (I post there, as well): http://blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=7811

Link to the article: http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=185167

Thoughts? :)

Edit: The first shot she made...holy crap that would hurt! :(

If you enjoyed reading about "11 year old defends herself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
May 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
Awesome. Hope the girl isn't too traumatized by the whole event.

Geno
May 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
Awesome post! This girl needs an award!

Eleven Mike
May 2, 2007, 01:00 PM
But, children shouldn't have access to guns!!!111 She could have hurt herself!!!1111

; )

The Unknown User
May 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
I hope she isn't too traumatized, either. At her age she's still developing, so she'll probably need/want to go see someone every now and then. At least she knows she did the right thing, but that could still mess her up some. :(

Edit: I can't help but wonder if the first shot was intentional or not. I hope it wasn't, as that's just plain sadistic. :P

mpmarty
May 2, 2007, 01:02 PM
Who has the Brady site address to forward this?:neener:

romma
May 2, 2007, 01:03 PM
Amazing.. The leftist gun control media will never let this story make the headlines, and that's exactly where it should be...

boerseun
May 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
I love it!

one-shot-one
May 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
i'd rather see her have to get over the trauma of this than having to get over the trauma of what could have happened had she been unarmed!

Speer
May 2, 2007, 01:12 PM
Wow. Throw this in the face of the gun grabber. In their world, she's dead meat.

Unlike the rare, tragic massacre, guns routinely save lives.

The leftist gun control media will never let this story make the headlines.

Aw, Hell no. This kind of story blows the lid of their sick agenda.

migoi
May 2, 2007, 01:18 PM
the point of impact for the first shot was the result of delay time. I would invision her aiming at the horizon of the top step with the idea of shooting the first thing that appeared. As the idiot came up the stairs he elevated his body to the point where her point of aim was no longer his head by the time she recognized the target and pressed the trigger for the first time.

On the other hand...any grown criminal that seeks to kill (based on the end result of the pair's previous encounter with folks at home during their home invasion) an 11 year old pretty much deserves the results of that first shot. If it was MY 11 year old he was seeking to kill, getting shot in the crotch would be the least of his problems.

migoi

bdutton
May 2, 2007, 01:19 PM
Anybody have a link to the real news story and not a message forum? I'd like to know if this is real or just someone posting bogus news.

(PS: I did a google news search on the three names in the story and got nothing)

dhoomonyou
May 2, 2007, 01:21 PM
G-d Bless her.

News Shooter
May 2, 2007, 01:22 PM
These internet scams are getting worse every day...there was one last week that actually got picked up by Fox.

I'm very wary of just about anything I see on the internet. Some people just have nothing better to do

foghornl
May 2, 2007, 01:22 PM
This report illustrates more than 1 thing...

Illegal Aliens...nuff said there

Girl defends herself, takes out 2 Bad Boys.

My point here...LESS "Gun Control" MORE "Border Control"

And thanks for the big galoop of "Chlorine in the Gene Pool."

Her trauma over this will be much less than having to get over the truma of a multiple rape, and possibly her family having to live with the loss of a loved one.

SamTuckerMTNMAN
May 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
is it real?

If it is real, this needs to be driven into the news networks, send it fax it, call it, do someting and get it out there. An 11 year old with access to moss 500 and training to use it, against armed attackers, thats good stuff. It needs to be out there more than just THR. No offense THR.

ST

The Unknown User
May 2, 2007, 01:26 PM
migoi, that's a good point. I forgot he was engaged as he ascended a stairwell.

I also hope this isn't a hoax. I'd feel bad for posting it, then. I didn't find the link; someone else did. I just saw it and posted it seeing as it was relevant.

bdutton
May 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
Gotta be a hoax. A general google search turns up dozens of links to message forums and none to any news source.

sm
May 2, 2007, 01:41 PM
Some of us have been unsuccessful in finding a valid link here in the last week or so when we first got wind of this "incident".

Some have yet to get a reply from NRA as well.

While there is a lot to be learned from the story as written, we do need to verify and validate to support our side.

We do not need to be like those against us who cannot give cites for verification of events, and statistics.

phoglund
May 2, 2007, 01:41 PM
I'd really like somebody to find a good citation of this event. What I've been able to find online is this event happened in Butte, MT. in November of 2006. Since I lived in Butte off and on since 1978 and currently live in Bozeman just 80 miles away you would think I'd have heard of this event. Yet I have not. Nor can I find any citation in local papers or local online sources. I also wonder what organizations sanction clay shooting events for 9 year olds?

It's a great story...but only if true.

Terence
May 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
I found one link with a copy of the article including a mention of source as
NRA files, and a place as Butte, Montana.

Note the date is November 5, 2006.

http://www.topix.net/forum/tucson/T7ENA0VOLIN4PRM3R/p78

I searched google for "Patricia Harrington" and Mossberg

I put the name in quotes but left Mossberg out of the quotes.

Titan6
May 2, 2007, 02:13 PM
Sorry does not pass the smell test. The would-be rapist shot in the genitals... How often do you hear the name of a child who is a crime victim given up? How often do you hear the model and type weapon named? Too bad would have been a good story.....

ArfinGreebly
May 2, 2007, 02:13 PM
Sorry, lads.

This one is looking like a hoax.

Couple of things: 1) the make & model of the shotgun are included in the story, 2) the action sequence is well-expressed and detailed.

The media are notorious for leaving out such things as accurate characterization of weapons and for scrambling the time-line if they even give one.

I have also now read remarks from two guys living in Montana -- one in Billings, one in Bozeman -- neither of whom have heard of this.

It looks like someone injected this into the blogosphere (or forumsphere) to see what kind of legs it would grow.

It could just be someone who feels that "as long as the message is valid" it doesn't matter if the story is true.

A darker interpretation is that the story could be a "look what saps these gunnies are; they'll believe anything as long as it supports their world view" kind of setup.

I would suggest a little more scrutiny.

sm
May 2, 2007, 02:23 PM
ArfinGreebly,

Your post brings out what made me suspicious as well.
Good points about tossing this story out to see what legs it grows.

DogBonz
May 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
Who the hell leaves an 11 year old home alone?

The Unknown User
May 2, 2007, 02:53 PM
I just realized that. For someone who supposedly exercises such care as to train his small child how to properly handle a firearm, you'd think they would be intelligent enough to not break the law and oh, you know, take care of their child.

There are too many inconsistencies in this story. :( Sorry guys; I didn't know it wasn't true.

LaEscopeta
May 2, 2007, 03:00 PM
Add my name to the list of skeptics. It is possible it happened exactly the way the story described. It is also possible the entire story was made up from whole cloth. But until we get a news cite, with date and location (not just “Montana”), and who in a position to know has determined the facts listed (i.e. a LEO stating they traced the gun on one of the deceased to a previous home invasion) I will neither believe nor disbelieve it. And then we have this part:Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buck shot from the 11 year olds knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals. When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.Does that make sense to any body? We all know a shotgun pattern at in-house distances is only a few inches across. If the pattern hit the genitals, what vital organ could have also been hit in the abdomen that would be fatal? (Of course such a wound could cause bleed out, especially it is hit the femoral artery, but the article did not say this, even though it does say the other target “bled to death before medical help could arrive.”)

I think we need to be the side that sticks to the facts. We need to let the antis be the unverifiable antidote side.

Eleven Mike
May 2, 2007, 03:05 PM
I think we need to be the side that sticks to the facts. We need to let the antis be the unverifiable antidote side.

Yeah, but that's so hard, though. You're just no fun. ;)

30 cal slob
May 2, 2007, 03:09 PM
makes for a good read, but i haven't been able to find a primary a news source for this. just a bunch of cutnpastes.

budney
May 2, 2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid it's almost certainly a hoax. As for "leaving an 11-year-old home alone," I was one of the original "latchkey kids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchkey_kid)" in the 1970s. Both parents worked. I got home from school, let myself into the house, and made supper if my Mom wasn't home yet. I was 9. Amazingly, I lived.

--Len.

Scanr
May 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
Made up stories do not help the cause any, there are enough real stories to do that.

bdutton
May 2, 2007, 03:13 PM
budney:
As for "leaving an 11-year-old home alone," I was one of the original "latchkey kids" in the 1970s. Both parents worked. I got home from school, let myself into the house, and made supper if my Mom wasn't home yet. I was 9. Amazingly, I lived.

OMG! Call State Child Services!

Sad commentary on today's society that we have to worry about such things as losing our children if we don't have supervision 24-7.

My wife used to ride public transportation (Subway/Bus/Tram) in Prague from the age of 8 to go to and from school in the 70's.

When I was 6 and sick and both my parents had to work I had to stay home by myself for about 4 hours. I survived.

george29
May 2, 2007, 03:14 PM
If it's not here, it almost certainly didn't happen, and I couldn't find it.

exar
May 2, 2007, 03:20 PM
When I was 6 and sick and both my parents had to work I had to stay home by myself for about 4 hours. I survived

Yes, I am also a survivor. My parents had to work or run chores w/o the burden of screaming, weasely kids. I would stay home at 8 or 9 years old and watch my younger brother and sister. We all lived. (However, I was in grave fear for our lives. Since I was 8 and all, ya know.:rolleyes: )

SoCalShooter
May 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
Glad to see that she is ok.

C. Rabbit
May 2, 2007, 03:23 PM
I've searched and searched, but could find no mention of this in the armed citizen NRA archives, or on any local news sites or newspapers.

The whole thing just started with some post that's been copied again and again and all attributed to 'NRA Files' with no link to said files given.

So I'm not going to get too mad about the media not picking this up.

Are there any real incidents in Armed citizen and other lists of situations like this (children defending themselves with guns)?

CR

eric.cartman
May 2, 2007, 03:24 PM
Edit: I can't help but wonder if the first shot was intentional or not. I hope it wasn't, as that's just plain sadistic. :P

No my friend, it's blind justice at its glory!!!

High Planes Drifter
May 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
Patricia Harrington is an author.

http://www.patriciaharrington.com/

My BS meter is pegging out on this one.:scrutiny:

Nickotym
May 2, 2007, 03:46 PM
Correction:
A Patricia Harrington is an author. There is nothing saying there is not more than one Patricia Harrington.

On the other hand I don't think this is real, but not all that happens in small towns makes the big city papers either.

Eleven Mike
May 2, 2007, 03:59 PM
Is there such a thing as the NRA files?

High Planes Drifter
May 2, 2007, 04:57 PM
Correction:
A Patricia Harrington is an author

no-no, her name is Patricia, not A Patricia:neener:

Patrick_Henry
May 2, 2007, 05:01 PM
I ran Google on the first bad guy.He turned up on CNN as a major criminal from Texas who from what I read escaped from prison, robbed a gun store, and was later apprehended in Colorado. Sounds like the kind of thing I've seen hoaxers do when they're hoping someone will catch the story... It was interesting though, my cousin does have a friend though that was in a similar situation, but I don't know to many details.

jmtgsx
May 2, 2007, 05:15 PM
my cousin does have a friend though that was in a similar situation, but I don't know to many details.

Wow! That is so weird! My brother-in-law has a cousin who's friend was in the same pot of beans.:D

Welcome Patrick!

Viajero YVR
May 2, 2007, 05:25 PM
25. To: klickitat (#0)
This is an "urban legend" and there doesn't seem to be any evidence to back up it up.

Raphael Resendez-Ramirez is the infamous "Railroad Killer" illegal alien / serial murderer. He eventually was captured.

Enrique Garza is a musician from Snyder, Texas whose 3 sons formed the band "Los Lonely Boys".

Patricia Harrington is an adult woman who writes children’s mystery books.

I can find no reference to David Burien.

The story has no author or news source listed. There is no date, time or address of where the incident took place. I would wager that this is an invented account. There's absolutely nothing on the web (aside from this verbatim account itself) to indicate this ever actually happened, or that anyone named Patricia Harrington ever was a champion clay-shooter anywhere. No news station, web site or paper has published this story.

Please prove me wrong by providing some verifiable facts or citations!

gfeldt posted on 2007-05-02 14:04:10 ET Reply Trace

Taken from messages posted on the same board after the original story

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=185167

MrDig
May 2, 2007, 05:30 PM
All searches I have done wind up leading me to the article posted on Liberty.org, this would lead me to believe it is a sad case of internet telephone game, by the time we got it it was unrecognizable from the original story.

fletcher
May 2, 2007, 06:33 PM
Two shots, two kills?

Great kid. :D

Eleven Mike
May 2, 2007, 06:37 PM
This thread's getting monotous.

Two posts of:
I googled all this stuff and it's a hoax.

I googled all this stuff and it's a hoax.

Then two posts of:
Wow, good for her! Awesome!

Wow, good for her! Awesome!

And so on.

Deer Hunter
May 2, 2007, 07:30 PM
No way it's real. Too much clarity, as has already been pointed out. Also it's too perfect to fit into someone's own agenda. Illegal aliens, little girl, 12 gauge home defense, crotch shots, etc. It's too good to be true.

Archer1945
May 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
For what it's worth I don't think there is a minimum age for shooting in National Skeet Shooting Association events or, for that matter in the National Trap Shooting Association. I believe I saw something recently about an 11 yo who has been tearing up on of these two sports and is now a National Champion.

DomMega
May 2, 2007, 08:55 PM
Bravo. What a great first shot too. That's called cleaning house......literally!

coelacanth
May 2, 2007, 08:57 PM
anybody tried a lexus nexus search on the dead homeowner? David Burien I believe?

Speer
May 2, 2007, 09:18 PM
Sigh..

My BS meter just flew into the red.

bdutton
May 2, 2007, 09:59 PM
Mods should lock this thread.

tanksoldier
May 2, 2007, 10:07 PM
This has been held to be false on several other boards to which I belong.

scrat
May 2, 2007, 10:08 PM
this is from another board.

11 year old girl kills 2 armed home invaders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=185167

Title: Home invasion gone wrong for [illegal] criminals
Source: NRA Files
URL Source: http://email
Published: Apr 25, 2007
Author: nra
Post Date: 2007-04-25 16:16:08 by klickitat
40 Comments

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez 23 and Enrico Garza 26, probably believed they would easily overpower a home alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things, they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine. Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buck shot from the 11 year olds knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals. When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. The victim, 50 year old David Burien, was not so lucky as he died from stab wounds to the chest.

Geronimo45
May 2, 2007, 10:20 PM
Sites I find call the place 'Buite, Montana'. There's a Butte, Montana - but I've never heard of Buite.

'Fraid it's a hoax.

Larry Ashcraft
May 2, 2007, 10:22 PM
Closed until somebody can verify the story. If somebody comes up with a good link, start a new thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "11 year old defends herself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!