reloading fast

PDA

PlaneEngnr
May 3, 2007, 12:39 AM
I have a revolver (GP100) and I have speedloaders (safariland). I would appriciate it if someone could post a link to an article, with lots of pictures please, about how I put these things together so I can reload quickly.

I've read up some already, but I'd like to see some pictures. From what I've read the regular way involves moving the gun between hands. Is their a way to do it where the gun remains in the dominant hand?

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading fast" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gator
May 3, 2007, 01:14 AM
I've never heard of moving the gun out of your dominant hand. I open the cylinder (thumb the release and push the cylinder out with my trigger finger...never flip it out) and point the gun upward while grabbing a speedloader with my left hand, punch the ejector rod, lower the gun, load and close the cylinder, also with my left hand.

Do that 1000 times and you will be fast! :D

Dienekes
May 3, 2007, 01:18 AM
If you are right-handed: On last shot, put ball of thumb on cyl. release, bring gun to center of body and to waiting left hand. LH thumb will be to outside of cyl.;Depress cyl. release and roll cyl. into LH palm, while fingers hold lower outside of frame on RH side of gun. Rotate entire gun muzzle up as RH is removed. Extend fingers of RH to make palm flat and rigid, and "pop" extractor which is now vertical--once, briskly. Brass and debris will fall down and clear. Remove RH and secure speedloader as LH rotates the gun muzzle down to at least a 45 degree angle. Hold body of speedloader (I prefer Safariland comp II) with thumb and fingers, line up ctgs. with chambers and insert until you feel slight resistance from speedloader's center section. Press a bit more--listen for the click--allow time for the ctgs. to drop (!), and then just let the speedloader fall away and drop to the ground. Roll the cylinder closed and come back up into firing position. Try to get it under 5 seconds, start to finish.

Practice helps. What you want is smoothness. It's nice to get it to where you don't have to actually look at the gun anymore, and can observe things downrange. The GPs have a fairly short extractor travel so "popping" the rod as noted is very helpful. Otherwise you will probably not get all the empties gone the first time as you should. Chamfering the cyl. chambers helps but is not vital.

Dienekes
May 3, 2007, 01:24 AM
I learned it with two hands, which works best for me. It uses gross muscle movement instead of fine ones. Less chance of messing up and plenty fast.

If you are right-handed: On last shot, put ball of thumb on cyl. release, bring gun to center of body and to waiting left hand. LH thumb will be to outside of cyl.;Depress cyl. release and roll cyl. into LH palm, while fingers hold lower outside of frame on RH side of gun. Rotate entire gun muzzle up as RH is removed. Extend fingers of RH to make palm flat and rigid, and "pop" extractor which is now vertical--once, briskly. Brass and debris will fall down and clear. Remove RH and secure speedloader as LH rotates the gun muzzle down to at least a 45 degree angle. Hold body of speedloader (I prefer Safariland comp II) with thumb and fingers, line up ctgs. with chambers and insert until you feel slight resistance from speedloader's center section. Press a bit more--listen for the click--allow time for the ctgs. to drop (!), and then just let the speedloader fall away and drop to the ground. Roll the cylinder closed and come back up into firing position. Try to get it under 5 seconds, start to finish.

Practice helps. Work on it with dummy rounds. What you want is smoothness. It's nice to get it to where you don't have to actually look at the gun anymore, and can observe things downrange. The GPs have a fairly short extractor travel so "popping" the rod as noted is very helpful. Otherwise you will probably not get all the empties gone the first time as you should. Chamfering the cyl. chambers helps but is not vital.

There was a very good book on all this stuff, written for law enforcement about 20 years ago--but I forget the title and author. Lots of good pen and ink illustrations. Almost too much info but very well done.

tank mechanic
May 3, 2007, 01:48 AM
I thought you could use some inspiration and this guy reloads fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg9kmj6c650

qbpc
May 3, 2007, 02:01 AM
Here is how I do it. I am right handed. First depress cylinder release with right thumb. Using left hand to open and hold gun by cylinder depressing extractor with left thumb tilting barrel up about 45-60 DEG, Right hand is retrieving the speed loader. By then all empties should be out and the gun is tilted downward to allow fresh ammo from speed loader to enter. Gravity helps this that is why you point the gun downward. After the ammo has entered the cylinder close it and return to the shooting stance. 1.5 to 2.5 seconds is about what I can do this when I am rusty. Tips keep the cylinder clean, take off sharp edges on chambers, use pointed or rounded bullets, and practice practice practice.

I have lots of trophies shooting against semi-autos using my wheelgun.
I used Comp III's and Comp II's from safariland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpCellB_UQ&search=Shooting%20Kimber%2010mm%201911%20pistol%20gun%20weapon%20safety%20control%20CCW%20conceald%20carry%20silly%20rabbit%20fire%20arm%20toys%20Eclipse%20Custom

Go to this youtube video and watch the last part when he reloads. He is using full moon clips, it is the same technique using speed loader.

glockman19
May 3, 2007, 02:28 AM
I'd also practice with snap caps NOT live rounds.

TYY
May 3, 2007, 02:43 AM
moon clips are way faster than a speed loader, fwiw

I use qbpc's technique. Except I am still really slow.

jad0110
May 3, 2007, 11:19 AM
Dienekes and qbpc have it right.

Here's a post I just made over in The 642 Club on how I reload:

To reload, my left supporting hand moves up under the trigger gaurd and I grasp the cylinder from underneath the gun (thumb on left side of cylinder, fingers on right). At the same time, I hit the cylinder release with my right thumb while loosening my right hand grip. Leaving my right thumb on the cylinder release to ensure the cylinder will open, I use my right hand to swing the butt of the gun down and to the right (holding the cylinder firm in my left hand), which opens the cylinder and points the muzzle skyward (the bottom of the gun facing me). As soon as the cylinder opens, I release my right hand completely to grab a speedloader. Meanwhile, my thumb is working the ejector rod in rapid succession, which usually causes the empty cases to drop straight down (even with the x42's short ejector rod). I then rotate the gun to load it (still in my left hand). After releasing the rounds into the cylinder (the toughest part for me), I close the cylinder with my left hand while presenting to my right.

bluetopper
May 3, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'm in the process of purchasing a Lee progressive reloading press so I can reload fast.
I want a steady supply.

pax
May 3, 2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/loadrevo.aspx

Pictures & explanations.

pax

Guy B. Meredith
May 3, 2007, 12:27 PM
As mentioned above, using moonclips does make the reload faster.

The combined weight of all the brass plus moonclip goes a long way to making sure the empties drop out quickly and usually requires only a thumb push with the supporting hand to eject.

This way the shooting hand is already on the way to pick up the next load rather than wasting time hitting the ejector.

Then again the huge charge holes on the 625 Jerry is using make aligning the rounds quicker on the new load. Other calibers/shooters may be slightly slower.

351 WINCHESTER
May 3, 2007, 03:31 PM
I've got a 940 and ejection and loading make for my fastest reload.

qbpc
May 3, 2007, 07:43 PM
Here is a good video to buy to learn revolver shooting

Just remember if you are shooting in competition the 180 DEG rule.
Also many ranges has this rule.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/DVD419-47139-2749.html

bluetopper
May 4, 2007, 02:04 AM
I got a buddy who can run a reloading press faster than anybody I've ever seen. Maybe I should video him. That dude can reload!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading fast" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!