Shot my first AK ;)

PDA

yhtomit
May 3, 2007, 12:15 AM
Joining the South Philly range this evening had an unexpected benefit. I struck up a conversation w/ a father and son (I'd guess the son's about 16) who'd come in near the same time I did, and they offered to let me shoot a magazine's worth through their AK.

What a blast! At the short range we were shooting (30 or 35 feet), the only accuracy being tested was mine -- not the gun's. Easy pickings ;)

They also kindly allowed me to shoot their 1911 (a Springfield, though I didn't take careful note of the exact details; wood grip, blued surface is all I can be sure of), and I'm going to blame that gun (as did Andrew, the son) for my inaccuracy, because the few times I've shot 1911s before, I've found them dead-on, and this one wasn't even close, at least in my hands.

But the AK was the highlight of my evening -- on a student budget, I was using a rented S&W .22 wheelgun (.22 is $2.25/40 at the range), so anything larger made things more fun ;) I can tell that a rifle of some sort is in my medium-term future!

timothy

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my first AK ;)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Unknown User
May 3, 2007, 12:21 AM
Nice to hear it. How heavy was it? Was the recoil manageable?

yhtomit
May 3, 2007, 12:39 AM
"Nice to hear it. How heavy was it? Was the recoil manageable?"

I'd guess it was about 9 pounds, though I didn't get a chance to talk afterward with the owners, or I would have asked more details. They did mention that it came from a gun show, but I didn't get any more about its provenance or APB, and I would have liked to.

The recoil was ... well, perceptible, but not bad at all. It felt a lot like the SKS I shot a few weeks back, and less than the Mosin-Nagant I fired on that same day. But I was a bit paranoid about the recoil -- firing any new long gun makes me pull nice and firmly into that shoulder pocket, which is unfortunately getting more and more cushiony of late -- and it was certainly soft-shooting in comparison to what I'd prepared myself for ;) (Reminded me of the first time I shot a 12ga; the horror stories I'd heard about recoil were *instructive,* just not accurate. Better to have it gripped *more* firmly than needed than the other way around!)

timothy

Robert Hairless
May 3, 2007, 02:38 AM
I've shot a few semi-auto Kalashnikovs. The recoil was negligible on them all.

See if you can find a Saiga-12 shotgun to shoot. They are absolute pussycats, even with full power 12 gauge shells. I've done trap shooting with one. The only problem is the bystanders who rush up thinking that it's an AK-47, then realize that it's a shotgun and beg to try it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my first AK ;)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!