Heaviest (Bear) Load for GP-100?

PDA

xrunt
May 3, 2007, 09:41 AM
I love my .357 but a grizzly encounter last August has me wanting more than 158gr. and I cant afford a .44 mag or larger yet..... Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heaviest (Bear) Load for GP-100?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
19-3Ben
May 3, 2007, 09:54 AM
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=152

or

the 180 grain version of these:
http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#357

Edit to add:
You may not be able to afford a good .44, but .44's are expensive and still too light for grizzly. On the other hand, a good qualty used 12ga pump action is a hell of a lot less expensive than a .44, and should be miles more effective if you expect to meet a griz. Just a thought.

GRIZ22
May 3, 2007, 10:09 AM
If you really think you're going to encounter a grizzly I'd start at that 12 ga with slugs for a defensive weapon.

xrunt
May 3, 2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys- actually I was on a high muley hunt and had my 7 mag so I'm really talking back-up- something to stick in the grizz mouth after the rifle shot.

19-3Ben
May 3, 2007, 11:54 AM

Bula
May 3, 2007, 01:10 PM
If you handload, try a 170-200 gr flat meplat hard cast sitting on a good dose of 2400. Good for field use when penetration is what you need.

robertbank
May 3, 2007, 01:23 PM
Any FMJ round should do. The Grizzley isn't going to bleed out quickly so in a purely defensive situation you will want to be breaking a shoulder or hitting the spine/brain or it won't matter much anyway. A hardcast SWC would also be very good and likely better than a RN or HP design. Personally I carry a 1911 loaded with .45-08 cartridges and a 12 gauge shotgun. In this part of the country a handgun is likely all you are likely going to have time to get to and shooting accurately and quickly is the order of the day.

If you miss with a cannon it won't matter much anyway...for you.

Take Care

Bob

Porter_Rockwell
May 3, 2007, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't be without something bigger than a 7 maggie. I own both the 7 mag and the 357.

If in black bear territory I'll carry the .357 with Corbon 200Grain HC.

If I'm in grizz territory, 45-70 with .44 loaded with Garrett Hammerheads on my hip.

A 7 mag and a .357 are just not enough for me in Grizz Country. You have some gumbies on that one!

GoD Bless,

Porter.

carpenter
May 3, 2007, 08:39 PM
something to stick in the grizz mouth after the rifle shot.

And after he bites your hand off, poke him in the eye with your stump.

xrunt
May 4, 2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys.
I always told my wife not to worry..... until this grizz came to our campfire and stomped and snapped for 15 minutes as our 2- 10 yr olds lay in the tent and we waited for the charge with our 7's pointed at the sounds. The scariest part was that as we set up camp at dusk the boys went for water in the same direction.
Every yr we see more grizz in this part of coastal/ chilcotin BC. Next yr I'll be heavier for sure!

ArchAngelCD
May 4, 2007, 08:49 PM
xrunt,
Since you are almost sure to see a Grizz where you are going I want to suggest something to add to your .357 Mag. Bears have something like 10,000 time the smell receptors we have and are very vulnerable to pepper spray. In one test the spray actually knocked the bear out for a few minutes. They have a repellent on the market that will spray over 25 feet. I would suggest you get several and have your family armed with them so that you are all protected at all times. I think the company even sells practice cans so that you can practice with the children so they know what to do to save their own life if necessary.

I hope this helps you enjoy the outdoors even more.

Sundles
May 4, 2007, 10:32 PM
ArchAngel,

Pepper sray is a disaster inside your tent--especially if every family member has a can of it!!!

It also doesnt work that well if mr. bear happens to attack with the wind. Wind in your face and peper spray = a butt kicking.

joneb
May 4, 2007, 11:59 PM
I would get the heavy LFP from Buffalo, Dbl Tap and Corbon and see which one shoots the straightest. Now that you have done your best it's up to God to save your a$$. Best wishes jj

obxned
May 5, 2007, 12:26 AM
12g with slugs!!!!! Why a 12g with slugs?? 'Cause I don't have a 4g.

However, pepper spray seems to work well, and you don't get in trouble for shooting a griz.

ArchAngelCD
May 5, 2007, 01:40 AM
Sundles,
If you read what I said again you will see that the pepper spray wasn't instead of his gun, just in addition to... He has 2 10 year olds that will do what kids in the woods do, have fun. They won't be next to him all the time so having pepper spays on their belt might buy them enough time for Dad to get there and make sure they don't end up dead. I didn't say it was the total solution, it's an added layer of protection.

xrunt
May 5, 2007, 08:05 AM
ArchangelCD, I do like that idea for peace of mind. My boy has a 30/30 and knows how to use it but this hunt is a week of grueling hiking and he wont be carrying for a few more years. Although last yr he had a huge 8pt walk past spike camp while I was glassing the other valley....

bigmike45
May 5, 2007, 09:43 AM
Though I think trying to stop a bear with a .357mag revolver is suicidial, I recommend the Federal 180gr. JHP. I have been using them for years to take Whitetail and even a Mule Deer here in Texas, and they work fantastic, for those applications. Others here have suggested much larger and more powerful firearms and I agree you should carry something else, if possible.

mike

Smith357
May 5, 2007, 10:46 AM
Your only hope against a bear with a .357 is to shoot him the foot and try to out run him. :D You will be much better off with a 12 gauge slug gun.

One of the keys is to make a lot of noise, bears generally want nothing to do with humans (except protected park bears) and will try to avoid human contact. Many bear attacks happen when the human accidentally startles the bear.

Sundles
May 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
ArchAngel,

I was more joking around than being serious and I do agree that in certain applications, pepper spray could be useful. Sorry if I came accross as critical.

When it comes to guns for bears, I am a "bigger is better" kind of guy, but the point I will keep making over and over again, is that black bear and grizzly are very different. You can stop a black bear attack by simply hurting him--which means a good 357 load will do it. Nearly ten years ago, a buddy of mine stopped a very large black bear bore (in Idaho) by shooting it six times with a Ruger Single Six. (22 LR) One shot hit the bear at the base of the ear and momentarily stunned him. Eventually this big old bore just walked off grumbling.

Grizzly is a whole different matter, WHILE YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO STOP A GRIZZLY ATTACK BY HURTING HIM, chances are you'll have to kill him/her to stop him and this adds a whole new dimension to the problem. Still, a good 357 load is better than nthing. I know of more than one person who killed an attacking grizzly with a 357 or less. I know of one case where a magazine full of ball 9mm killed a large female grizzly and I know of another case where a magazine full of 9mm diswaded a female grizzly and she ran off after the guy was pretty badly hurt. The government asked one of my grizzly guide friends to track down and kill that bear, but after tracking it for miles, my freind gave up and told me that it was unhurt even after absorbing about 9 or 10 9mms. My tracker/guide friend said that the muzzle blast on the bears face was what scarred it off, not the injury from bullets. Who knows.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heaviest (Bear) Load for GP-100?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!