Question on Shot Pattern Analysis

PDA

PennsyPlinker
May 3, 2007, 12:58 PM
I have a copy of one of those target thingies that tells you what you are doing wrong when you pull the trigger. This is just curiosity of course, since I never miss the bulls eye :neener: but I was wondering, what exactly do they mean by "too much trigger finger" and "too little trigger finger"? Everything else is readily apparent to me, but I can't quite figure those two out.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Shot Pattern Analysis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zoomer
May 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
Too much trigger finger means applying too much force on the trigger (and usually not straight rearward) resulting in a counterclockwise rotation of the muzzle (and usually) downward hence the low 7 o'clock hit. Lit trigger is just the opposite.

PennsyPlinker
May 3, 2007, 02:44 PM
So according to the diagram, if I... uhh, I mean my friend is hitting the target just to the left of the bullseye, then he is not pulling the trigger hard enough? Just so everything is clear, I am referring to the diagram available on the Lee Loading site. That shows too much trigger finger as hitting to the right of the bullseye, while too little finger shows a hit to the left. Jerking the trigger is at 7:00 as you describe.

sacp81170a
May 3, 2007, 03:22 PM
Too Much Trigger Finger means you have your finger too far into the trigger and are pulling shots to that side. Ideally, you should have the pad of your trigger finger (about the middle of the tip) on the trigger. Too much means you're to close to the joint, too little means you're too close to the end with not enough of your finger on the trigger. This can vary with the shooter and the weapon, however. A well practiced double action revolver shooter may put the finger in all the way til the first joint is on the trigger so as to have more power in the trigger stroke. Trigger control is a combination of a number of things, and placement of the fingertip on the trigger is a major part of this.

As an experiment, dry fire with too much and too little finger *in the trigger* and you will see clearly what I mean. Watch the front sight carefully. Too much pulls to that side (right, if you're right handed) and too little pulls to the other side (left if you're right handed). It's a simple matter of the mechanics of bones and muscles in the hand. Pulling with the center of the fingertip allows you to pull the trigger straight back more easily.

PennsyPlinker
May 3, 2007, 07:06 PM
Sacp, that is about what I thought, but I never really took the time to follow through with experimenting. So, with some snap caps, I spent a little time today aiming at things like icons on my computer, the cat, etc. I discovered that I have been trying too hard to avoid the knuckle thing. For whatever reason, and at least on this particular firearm, I get a steadier pull with my first knuckle right up against the trigger. I will have to see if that plays out at the range, but it was significant with the snap caps. Thanks for the clarification. My friend thanks you too. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Shot Pattern Analysis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!