Shopping Spree Advice

PDA

JaxNovice
May 3, 2007, 07:25 PM
This no a BS solicitation of advice. I inheirited from my father a group of shotguns and I am going to sell one of them to retire all of my debt and put my two infant daughters through college (god bless the Florida pre-paid college plan). I am putting aside $4,000 to buy a bunch of new guns. I have already ordered the safe to put them in. I have agonized over what new toys to buy and I thought I would solicit the advice of my fellow members.

Here is what I want to get:

Polymer 9mm for day to day carry and car carry
A really nice 9mm
Nice .45acp (maybe 1911)
Hunting rifle for mid-size game
AR-15
AK-47

Anyone care to make suggestions as to what to buy and where? My budget is firm and the wife already knows. I am sure the insight shared from the fellow members will inspire me and lead me down a path no previously considered. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shopping Spree Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nomad, 2nd
May 3, 2007, 07:41 PM
Glock 19 $400
CZ 75B $300-$350
Kimber Warrior $1100
Savage 110 30-06 - or other ($300 used, don't know new)
Rock river flat top (Don't have current prices)
Arsonal Ak (Over $600)

TX1911fan
May 3, 2007, 07:45 PM
Wow, that must have been some shotgun! My take:

Polymer 9mm for day to day carry and car carry--SPringfield XD9, 3 or 4 inch

A really nice 9mm--High Power, Sig or HK

Nice .45acp (maybe 1911)--Springfield Armory TRP or better

Hunting rifle for mid-size game--Browning bolt action, lever action or semi-auto

AR-15--Rock River mid-length

AK-47--No suggestion

Dark_Harvest
May 3, 2007, 07:49 PM
Polymer 9mm for day to day carry and car carry - GLOCK 19!!!
A really nice 9mm - Sig Sauer (or another Glock 19!!!)
Nice .45acp (maybe 1911) - Sig Sauer Revolution (Don't buy a Kimber!!!! EVER!! Unless you like being treated like crap by a company that WILL NOT STAND BEHIND IT'S PRODUCT FOR ANY REASON AT ALL)
Hunting rifle for mid-size game (this will be personal, make sure you're comfortable with the action of the rifle)
AR-15 (Rock River is a great supplie for AR's!)
AK-47 (don't have one, can't recommend one...)

bc

JaxNovice
May 3, 2007, 08:05 PM
Even though I was deeply saddened when my father passed, a pair of Holland and Holland shotguns softened the blow. I appreciate the advice on the guns. I sat this afternoon with the CDNN catalog and made notes all over it. I almost picked up the phone and ordered 9 FN guns just to get the PS90 for free. Would have cost me about $5600 but I could have sold one of them and brought me down to budget. Would have been fun to do but impractical.

12many
May 3, 2007, 09:20 PM
Why don't you space out the purchases over time. Perhaps over time your needs or wants will change.

No need to spend it all in a rush.

JaxNovice
May 3, 2007, 09:41 PM
12many- That is far too practical and wise advice. I would lose the rush. Knowing myself I would buy a few nice guns and then the rest on lapdances. Better off doing it all at once to make sure I actually follow through.

ARGarrison
May 4, 2007, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. My father died this past year. I too am having a firearm purchasing rush, but not to the scale you are.

I have Kimber and like it. It is what is now called a series I, internal extractor. I got the Royal model. I would not trade/sell it, but wish I had a stainless model. The nice deep blue of the Royal is starting to show wear.

For an AR, I chose a Bushmaster. They call it a target rifle, but it is a AR copy of a M-16A3 (A3 = Flat top) with a 20" barrel. It might be my only AR and I'd like to have the middle ground. It's not a long barreled varmit gun nor is it a short barreled carbine.

Even if you get them all at once or the same week/month. Take your time with each firearm. Spread the thrill out over time and not just show up at the range with a truck load of new toys and blast away, only to get bored and then stash them away in the back of your safe.

JaxNovice
May 4, 2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the kind word and advice AR.

sierrabravo45
May 4, 2007, 12:48 PM
I'm Sorry to Hear about your Dad.

Think about it this way. You are selling one of his guns to do what you want, college, debt and such.

Don't get a gun that will be impractical or not worth it. By this I mean a Ak-47 or such. that could be changed. Or if the Gun grabbers come you lost it.

Buy a gun that you will keep in one piece, that is NICE. If I was buying a Gun now. It would probably be a Smith & Wesson Performance Center in .44 Mag (I have one already but I was thinking it would be a good keepsake.

My #1 would be a High End Kimber or a Sig Revolution STX. Or probably a Nice shotgun. Such as a Beretta over and under. When you pull that gun out to shoot it, it should remind you of your Dad.

I like Glocks and Ak's and so forth. But if I went through that I would probably Buy a Winchester 23, Kimber, the Sig or a Beretta O/U that you would cherish and pass on to your kids.

Do Not get something that you are going to shoot a couple of times put it back in the safe and say "that was fun" Maybe get that Great Hunting Rifle. Think HS Precision or McMillan or GAP. Put nice glass on it, and use it as your all around hunting gun. Your Dad will be with you every time you go hunting.

JaxNovice
May 4, 2007, 12:51 PM
Hi sierra, Again really nice sentiment. He left me 6 shotguns so I will keep the other 5 and just sell the one. I agree that I should not just go nuts and buy whatever is in sight. I was about to do that but I started this thread to get help from cooler heads like yourself.

sierrabravo45
May 4, 2007, 12:54 PM
I thought of One More.

Two Words.

"Double Rifle"

Two More.

".470 Nitro"

Take it to Africa and Have Fun.......

My Dad has a bunch of Guns and I know one Day he will go to the Happy Hunting Grounds. Some guns it would be really hard to sell. (The guns that were his Primary hunting guns) Some are easy that always sat in the safe and were pretty much unfired.

Don't cheapen the experience with buying a Bunch of Guns. I would get one or two nice Guns. Maybe even think of something you always wanted but could never afford like the above double rifle.

RNB65
May 4, 2007, 12:58 PM

Glock 19
Springfield XD9 Service
S&W M&P
Beretta PX4

The only real diff between them is ergonomics. Choose whichever one feels best.

A really nice 9mm

Old School: Browning High Power
New School: SIG 226/229

Nice .45acp (maybe 1911)

Les Baer

CZ

AR-15

Rock River

AK-47

Got me...

30 cal slob
May 4, 2007, 12:59 PM
1) HK USP Compact in 9mm. More accurate than a Glock, just as reliable for everyday carry.

2) Browning Hi Power 9mm, made in Belgium.

3) Any 1911 made by Wilson Combat.

4) Go custom on the hunting rifle.

5) AR - Rock River Arms or Knight's Armament lower + HK 416 upper (available occasionally).

6) AK's - Don't have a first-hand informed opinion on AK's.

Taurus92 in KyleTX
May 4, 2007, 12:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad.

You thought about talking to a custom shop, getting a 1911 built up for yourself, with some engraving to honor your dad? Could be something to pass down thru the generations?

Jim Watson
May 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your Father.
I trust you are keeping some of his guns, even if you don't shoot them much, they will be great mementos and heirlooms.

Hard to beat a Glock for a simple sturdy carry gun. G19 is a good size, but I prefer G17 as the original and still champion.

What will you do with a "really nice" 9mm? Are we talking about a pure target pistol like a P210 or S&W M952? Or just something different from a G19? In which case a G34 for common operation with your carry gun but longer barrel and some detail refinements.

Lots 'a 1911 .45s out there, if you want something different, look at the Sig-Sauer P220 SAO, Match, or Super Match.
http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com/pg9.jpg

I don't hunt but the most enthusiastic hunter of my acquaintance shoots a Browning A-Bolt .270 with every satisfaction.

I have a standard Colt HBAR that suits me as a shooter, but don't like the way they have screwed with the design of the guns they sell to American Commoners. I think the Rock River is well built.

I have no use or interest in an AK and would spend the money budgeted for a really, really nice scope for that .270.

glockman19
May 4, 2007, 01:14 PM
Here's what I would get:

Glock 26
A really nice 9mm
Glock 17/19
Nice .45acp (maybe 1911)
Kimber Custom Shop (any one) I like the Raptor II
Remington CDL in .30-06 or .308
AR-15
Top Brand Bushmaster/Rock River, Colt, Stag(makse parts for everyone else)
AK-47
Any AK mfg.

Voerelover
May 4, 2007, 01:24 PM
HI:
ON the Ak why not a Krebs ak or see Knight guns he is located in Florida one of the best gun makers in america. His guns are hard to come by at times and may be a list of time before you can get one of his guns. the sames holds true Krebs guns!
A custom Hunting rifle for sure!
Hand guns a sig or for a good plastic gun try H&K as well as military style guns you can't go wrong.
Think about a Springfield 308 Mm14 beats a mini 14 ruger anytime!
All of the above will surve your purpose!
For a good supressed gun or muzzle can try Advanced Armament in Georgia. Top of the line in their work!
Thanks,
Vorelover

possum
May 4, 2007, 03:18 PM
A really nice 9mm

well you can kill two birds with one stone with that one, with an xd service model 9mm!

Ar: bushmaster m4a3 flatop

ak: yugo underfolder

Hunting Rifle: savage model 10

1911: sa mc operator, loaded model, s&w, detonics etc.

those are my personal choices in that order.

Afy
May 4, 2007, 03:41 PM
Jax Novice,

Sorry about your father. It never is easy...

If a single shotgun sale is going to do all of the above I am assuming its a H&H or Purdy or something to that effect.

I would really love to see pictures of these guns since they are extremly rare as you can well imagine.

Good luck with your gun choices.

halvey
May 4, 2007, 03:46 PM
I inheirited from my father a group of shotguns and I am going to sell one of them to retire all of my debt This is why my kids will get a couple guns each, and the rest of the guns sold and the money will go to the NRA.

Nomad, 2nd
May 4, 2007, 05:25 PM
Sierrabravo45:

I've gatta take issue with something you said: Don't get a gun that will be impractical or not worth it. By this I mean a Ak-47 or such.

I myself like nice S&W revolvers, and have several, including custom. However, I have goten more enjoyment out of a single AK than out of all my S&W's put together.

A friend of mine is a serious hunter, uses a Browning 7mm08, his 45-70... he referes to his AK as his 'killin gun' as he always uses it for the packs of stray dogs that are around his property.

I am tired of people (If you are not one of them I appoligise) who 'look down their noses' at EBR owners, and say various things, charcterised by your statement.

WHO ARE YOU TO KNOW WHAT IS NOT WORTH IT!

'Insert nonhighroad comment here'

tsalagikola
May 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
What ever guns you get make sure you get enough ammo the way ammo prices are getting.

trueblue1776
May 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
I would totally use that money as a down payment on a Holland & Holland, only the sweetest shotguns ever made.

James NM
May 4, 2007, 06:24 PM
JaxNovice:

Question: You said your wife knows about the upcoming $4000 gun purchase. Does she also know about the lap dances?:)

mindwip
May 4, 2007, 06:30 PM
Have you thought about buying only a couple of guns and using the rest of the money on "upgrades" Better triggers, nicer stock, engravings, better barrels ect.

Take things you could do to a Highpower. Nice exotic wood grips, maybe ivory. Night sights, laser ect. Have a gunsmith remove mag safty and/or do a trigger job. New SS barrel.

Also my vote goes for a Browning High Power (if you have not guessed) nothing shows class like a nice blued hi-power. Second choice is Sig.

And you cant go wrong with a M14 or M1

Gustav
May 4, 2007, 06:55 PM
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your father.

I would first of all consider whatever you buy to be keepsakes held in rememberence of your Dad.
What woulkd he have used or liked or bought for you or himslef if he were able to do so?
From the list you posted IMO I would suggest the following:

Browning P-35 High Power have it engraved with whatever is dear in you heart regarding your dad what he liked for example roses or airplanes or a favorite saying.
Have this nickeled or plated and have a presentation case made up to go with it including maybe a picture and a little brass plaque to go with it.

Any well designed polyemr pistol that fits your hand and works for you try at a range first by renting all you may like drive if you have to if one is not close by. Make it a famlily day or Saturday go out to lunch or dinner day.
H&K Walter S&W Sig Glock Kahr etc all make decent pistols.

Colt 1911A1 series 70 either new Stainless or the 1911 repro of the old Colt

As to a hunting rifle any .243 to .300 Win Mag caliber rifle with fine wood and steel or stainless and laminate Ruger 77 Remington 7 Browning A bolt or one of my favorites the Finnish Sako 75

AR15 Bushmaster Dissipator with the detachable carry handle either fluted barrel or lightweight with Eotech or Acog.

AK47 Krebs or Arsenal Inc.

Take care and my best regards.

sierrabravo45
May 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
TrueBlue,

I bet he is selling H&H's,

Nomad,

He asked for our Advice. My Advice since he asked was what we would want. I shoot lots of AR's, and Ak's are a heck of a lot of fun. If my Dad passed I would not buy a AK with the money to remember him. That was my ADVICE.

But maybe I would love to remember my Dad by killing stray packs of Wild Dogs with my AK-47. :neener: It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.:D

Nomad, 2nd
May 5, 2007, 12:42 AM
Fair enough.

-His post said nothing about the guns 'being a memorial'
And that is not the way I think.

If you do, that's good enough for me.;)

possum
May 5, 2007, 03:11 AM
I am tired of people (If you are not one of them I appoligise) who 'look down their noses' at EBR owners, and say various things, charcterised by your statement.

WHO ARE YOU TO KNOW WHAT IS NOT WORTH IT!

'Insert nonhighroad comment here'
rodger that brother. half the people that make those coments have never fired one, and never have trainned with one to be able to see how much since it makes to have one and how great they really are, not just the ak's mind you but all Evil Black Rifles in general!

TexasP226
May 5, 2007, 05:06 AM
My choices with approx. prices you can find if you shop around:

1. Walther P99 ~ $525
2. Sig P226 Elite ~ $900
3. S&W 1911 ~ $700
4. Savage 114 American Classic ~ $550
5. Bushmaster M4 ~ $825
6. Vector AK ~ $500

Total $4,000 on the button :)

waterhouse
May 5, 2007, 01:03 PM
It wouldn't be polymer, but it does work pretty well for carry and is 9mm: H&K P7

IMO it is a really nice 9mm as well.

That said, try out a bunch of guns and see which one fits your hand best. Glocks are great guns, but I shoot them poorly. Sigs are also great guns, and fit my hand better. There are tons of good, reliable 9mms out there, so make sure you get what fits you best.

If you don't already have a carry permit, don't forget to budget licensing fees, class costs, additional training, and a good belt and holster.

Radagast
May 6, 2007, 06:41 AM
Ok, you are on a budget, fullfilling that full list for the money would be hard.

For your carry pistol, I recommend the Glock 19, this will set you back around $500.00. The XD, M&P or H&K are all good guns, but the XDs finish wears, the M&P is a new gun and H&Ks parts support is poor. Glocks are popular and retain value, you will always be able to sell it. I personally prefer the G17, but the 19 is more easily concealed.

Really nice 9mm pistols are expensive. Think Beretta Billenium or Steel, Sig X5, H&K Custom Sport, to get any of them, you would have to give up something else.
Beretta Steel is around $1300.00, Billenium around $1700, Sig X5 is around $2400.

Either settle for a full size service pistol such as a Beretta 92FS for around $550.00 or skip this category.

Nice 45: The STI Legacy at $1950.00 is the H&H or handguns, unfortunately this would blow your budget. Look at the STI Trojan for around $1000.00. It's not a custom fit gun, but it's about the best quality in a production gun.

For your hunting rifle I would recommend the CZ550 in either .243 or .308. Around $700.00, my experience with CZs is they are accurate, well finished and properly fitted. You will need to allow for a scope and mounts as well, hopefully these are not part of your $4000.00 budget.

AR15: Rock river arms flattop for around $700.00, as for the CZ, buy a scope later.

AK: No idea, but allow around $600.00

All up spend without optics, ammo or accessories, $4050.00.

None are 'best' guns, but all are a cut above and should last for years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shopping Spree Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!