Average age of CCW/CHL

PDA

okiebuckout
May 4, 2007, 01:44 AM
I was looking in Oklahoma's Self Defense Act website and noticed that the average age of concealed carry permit holders was roughly around 45-50. I was just wandering if anyone knew what the avg ages were from other states. It just kinda intrigued me. I really thought that the avg would be much younger. I myself am 27. Just waiting on OSBI to give me the okay.:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Average age of CCW/CHL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Plink
May 4, 2007, 02:05 AM
I think a lot of that is because the average age of the generally gun owning population is older. There just aren't as many young people learning about guns as there used to be. I'm 44 and many of my friends in my general age group are firearms owners. Only one of my early 20's friends came from a shooting family. I spend a lot of time introducing new shooters to the sport and it seems that they are mostly in their 20's also.

strat81
May 4, 2007, 10:04 AM
At my CHP class, I was the youngest (25) by far. Most guys looked 40-50, and some were old enough to be my grandfather. It's all good, I got to see all kinds of guns get fired that day. Keltecs, .22 revolvers, Glocks, 1911s, Tauruses, J-Frames, Ruger MkII/III, Beretta 92, S&W 5906...

mlandman
May 4, 2007, 10:20 AM
In Florida:
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/images/04302007_profile_chart.jpg

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/images/04302007_profile_percentage.jpg

from the "Reports" (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/reports.html) site of the Fla. Ag. Department

beaucoup ammo
May 4, 2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the graph. I believe the 60+ demo's who have CCW's will grow as the Boomers retire and realize (1) CCW's are available (we've been working so long and hard some may not realize it!) and (2) No criminal scum bag is going to steal the toys I've spent a life time working for.

Geronimo45
May 4, 2007, 11:21 AM
Texas has their info:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/PDF/2006Calendar/ByAge/CY06AgeLicAppsIssued.pdf

Very different from the old 2000 data - there, it was the 40-60 range that were the overwhelming majority. Now, it's a little more spread out. Interesting to see the number of folks that get 'em as soon as they hit 21.

P.S. the licenses for 18-20 year olds are allowed for military folk only, IIRC. That's why there's so few.

P.P.S. Looking at the demographics/statistics section, it's interesting to note that you have about one CHL holder per every square mile of the state - and a thousand of 'em per each county (note: there's less in some counties, more in others - comparing num. of counties to num. of CHL folk here). Around one percent of the state's population are CHL folk.

GEM
May 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
It's interesting data. One argument that CHLs and CCW folk are safer is that it correlates with age and education and SES.

That is sometimes forgotten.

okiebuckout
May 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
That makes since about the younger generations not being introduced to shooting activities. I know at the Gun Range i belong to I rarely see someone my age or younger. Most are over 40. When I took my CHL there were only 3 in their 20s. The other two disappeared after the first night. I was the sole youngster at the range that weekend. The rest were probably in there 50s and one in his 70s. I too have been trying to introduce shooting to some of my friends and those I have met. I have a funny story for ya(it was funny to me at the time). Okay interesting maybe.:scrutiny:

When I was in the army stationed down at Hood I had a barbecue at my house for my platoon. I had set up some targets for my pistols and also a clay thrower to pop a few pigeons with. Very few had ever shot a 'civilian' pistol, or shotgun. My Platoon Sgt. (who knew all about running a range) couldn't even figure out how to load my 870 bolt action 410. I did give a quick class on my firearms. It was the funniest thing watching these guys trying to shoot clays. they loved it. It just surprised me how many of our service men/women really don't have any experience with firearms besides what the military exposes them to. After that my new name was 'shotgun'. They talked about that day for a while. Guess it was good exposure for them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Average age of CCW/CHL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!