I'm a Retro-Guy

PDA

Scanr
May 4, 2007, 06:05 PM
I could not find this on a search, so here it is:

I'm a Retro-Guy

American Handgunner, Sept-Oct, 2005 by Roy Huntington

In light of all the "retro-this" and "retro-that" it suddenly dawned on me I was a "retro" myself. And, as a matter of fact, so are most of the people I know.

With today's on-going diatribe about "feelings," and "feng-shui" (whatever that is) and all the other bewildering definitions of people's, shall we say, "leanings," I figured it was time to clear the air a bit. As a general rule, gun-people are usually fairly easy to define as reliable, law-abiding, family folks with fairly clear definitions regarding their roles in life. Moms are, well moms and dads are, well, dads. Kids are kids and moms and dads take care of the kids. At least that's how it was in my house.

Now not to disparage those of you who have elected to take another track in life. I would like to nonetheless point out some obvious facts regarding most of us who enjoy shooting. I'm not saying if you don't do these sorts of things, you're not a good American; just that you don't fit the basic mold. And that's not a bad thing--usually. Frankly, I'm happy to see anyone out enjoying shooting, hunting, collecting and otherwise messing about with guns and stuff.
Advertisement

I felt it might be nice to sorta' define what a "Retro-Guy" might be. It would make it easier to simply point at this and say something like: "Ah, here, this is the kinda' stuff I do." Feel free to keep a copy in your wallet to help you over those sometimes awkward moments trying to answer the question: "Why do you do that?"

The Retro-Guy Code:

* A Retro-Guy, no matter what the women insists, pays for the date.

* A Retro-Guy DEALS with IT--be it a flat tire, a burglar, or a natural disaster, you DEAL WITH IT.

* A Retro-Guy not only eats red meat, he often kills it himself.

* A Retro-Guy should know how to properly kill stuff (or people) if need be. This falls under the "DEALING WITH IT" portion of The Code.

* A Retro-Guy is allowed to seek professional help for major mental stress such as drug/alcohol addiction, death of your entire family in a freak tree chipper accident, favorite bird dog expiring, etc. You are NOT allowed to see a shrink because Daddy didn't pay enough attention to you. Daddy was busy DEALING WITH IT.

* A Retro-Guy should have at least one good wound he can brag about.

* A Retro-Guy knows that owning a gun is NOT a sign you're riddled with fear. Guns are TOOLS: See "DEALING WITH IT."

* When a Retro-Guy is on a crowded bus and ANY woman gets on, that Retro-Guy stands up and offers his seat to that woman, then looks around at the other so-called men still in their seats with a disgusted look on his face.

* A Retro-Guy will also give up his seat to any elderly person or person in military dress, except officers I above second lieutenant. (NOTE: The person in military dress may turn down the offer but the Retro-Guy will ALWAYS make the offer to them and thank them for serving their country.)

* A Retro-Guy knows how to say the Pledge properly, and the words to the Star Spangled Banner.

* A Retro-Guy sharpens his own knives and knows how to use tools.

* A Retro-Guy owns tools, usually lots of 'em.

* A Retro-Guy doesn't need a contract--a handshake is good enough.

* A Retro-Guy will take care of his neighbor's yard when said neighbor is deployed overseas on military duty.

* A Retro-Guy doesn't immediately look to sue someone when he does something stupid and hurts himself. We understand sometimes--in the process of doing things--we get hurt and just DEAL WITH IT.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm a Retro-Guy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mannix
May 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
+1

Though I think this is just "guy" code, or at least it was before the pussification of America.

pcosmar
May 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
I like it, may I have your permission to pass it along.
I know others that would like this also.

edit
Oops you passed it to us. Allrighty then.

Gustav
May 4, 2007, 06:15 PM
I prefer to be called old school or old fashioned but the profile you created fits so I guess retro works.
YMMV

Scanr
May 4, 2007, 06:16 PM
Be my guest, I just heard it on the radio and did a quick web search to find it.

BayouTeche77
May 4, 2007, 06:37 PM
I thank God that all those things apply to me. At least I know that I am doing things right and can't wait to teach any sons I may be blessed with the same.

Crunker1337
May 4, 2007, 06:49 PM
I am proud to say that I am NOT a retro guy. I fit some of those conditions, but I do not fit into all of them.

Jorg Nysgerrig
May 4, 2007, 06:56 PM
Just don't start referring to yourself as a retro-sexual.

never_retreat
May 4, 2007, 07:02 PM
Hmmm....
Is guess I can tell all my friends to call me retro insted of a red neck.

Remember your born a hillbilly, but you can turn into a redneck.

Plink
May 4, 2007, 07:11 PM
It's a shame that such qualities are considered retro. A sign of the times, I guess. Oh well, I've been labelled a lot of things. I guess being called retro isn't so bad.

Gifted
May 4, 2007, 07:29 PM
I've seen similar things. Always fun to read.

* A Retro-Guy will also give up his seat to any elderly person or person in military dress, except officers I above second lieutenant.Why commissioned officers? Only time I could see this is if you can tell he's one of those prick Lts, which I have the pleasure to have never met.

NeoSpud
May 4, 2007, 09:19 PM

* A Retro-Guy doesn't need a contract--a handshake is good enough.
Those are my two favorite, by far. :D

I own enough tools to open my own machine shop, and I have a great deal of personal honor when it comes to fulfilling agreements, regardless of whether they're signed in triplicate or sealed with a handshake.

ADKWOODSMAN
May 4, 2007, 09:35 PM
When I read it in AM Handgunner I thought, sounds like all of us who compete with firearms.

Lupinus
May 4, 2007, 09:36 PM
my gf is still trying to convince me I dont always have to pay and she can sometimes. Erm, yeah its still not working.

ravnew
May 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
Retro, now that's the nices thing I've ever been called. :)

dadman
May 4, 2007, 09:53 PM
Retr-Guy and Retro-Sexual, yes.
Metro-Sexual, negative and no way!

obxned
May 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
Shame there are so few who think this way. Whining and blaming seems to be the fashion these days.

lee n. field
May 4, 2007, 10:47 PM

I 'spect I'm "retro". I've got more tools "in transit" on top of my fridge than a lot of people have in their whole houses.

as a retro-sexual.

Uhh. Ummm. Let me think that one through, before I say yea or nay.:scrutiny:

The Unknown User
May 4, 2007, 10:48 PM
I think this is called being a "gentleman."

Heavy Metal Hero
May 4, 2007, 10:59 PM

And a badass. See "DEALING WITH IT."

Scanr
May 4, 2007, 11:00 PM
Why commissioned officers? Only time I could see this is if you can tell he's one of those prick Lts, which I have the pleasure to have never met.

I think because a 2nd Lt and lower are working men. Their kaboose is in harms way most of the time.

Geronimo45
May 4, 2007, 11:43 PM
Why be retro when you can be a Mall Ninja?

thumper723
May 4, 2007, 11:47 PM
LCDR/MAJ and below seem to be in the thick of it in my field (aviation), and there are a lot of CDR/LtCol flying combat missions as well..

Neo-Luddite
May 4, 2007, 11:52 PM

Slinger
May 5, 2007, 11:06 AM
pussification of America.

Coffee all over my keyboard.

JWarren
May 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
I love this article. Put me in the "retro-guy" category.

I'll add to it a little:

-- A retro-guy does not shave his chest.
-- A retro-guy does not have non-god-given highlights in his hair.
-- A retro-guy understands the home is his castle, but he doesn't have a say in how its gonna be decorated.
-- A retro-guy doesn't use terms like Mauve, Chartuse, or Salmon in place of "Pink."
-- A retro-guy CAN get a manacure, pedicure, facial, etc.-- BUT ONLY if his wife is doing it to be sweet. And he can never speak of this outside of home, family, and CLOSE friends (who are still allowed to rib you mercilessly.)

I'm sure more will come.

-- John

-terry
May 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
That is just so wrong on so many levels. Simple though. Very 50's and those years were'nt better. Nice assigned gender roles. No one was asked if they want those roles. Sheesh. This is old time Hemmingway chest-beating stuff.

Condition Zero
May 5, 2007, 12:50 PM
You meet the nicest people on the Right side of a gun!

General Geoff
May 5, 2007, 12:56 PM
I like the concept of "DEALING WITH IT," but otherwise it's just outmoded old fogeyness. I'll be the first to admit I suck at wiring electrical outlets, and I'll also be the first to call my cousin the electrician to give me a hand.

I'll also be the first guy my cousin calls when his computer crashes (I'm a computer consultant/technician). As long as you have a viable means to "DEAL WITH IT," the rest of the list doesn't particularly matter.

GhostlyKarliion
May 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
WoW :uhoh: what a wake up call :confused:

I honestly can't believe the negative posts about this idea, please tell me you people who think this is outdated or in some other way wrong are only joking and I am missing the humor.

I havent read the article, but from what Scanr posted then I'd be proud to be called a "retro" guy, but heh, I'm still early 20's

those things I learned from my family while growing up, I really can't find anything good to say about the people who are disagreeing with this. Please, explain any of your problems with the OP's idea.

JWarren
May 6, 2007, 12:43 AM
Nice assigned gender roles. No one was asked if they want those roles.

I wasn't asked. I am just

"DEALING WITH IT."

:)

-- John

Sorry... I couldn't help myself.

eliphalet
May 6, 2007, 01:01 AM
Very 50's and those years were'nt better
That is a matter of opinion.

This is old time Hemmingway chest-beating stuff.
That can be a very good thing indeed.

I am a man in a very old school (retro?) way, I make no appoligies for that.

Smokey Joe
May 6, 2007, 02:16 AM
--Not afraid to ask for help when you're genuinely stumped, in over your head, or honestly stuck. But you exhaust your own resources first.

--Not demeaned by an unrequested offer of help.

--Willing to apologize when in the wrong. How you got there don't matter much. And an apology isn't the same thing as a string of excuses.

--Never making an insult--unintentionally.

--Gives praise in public (generously) and reprimands in private (stingily).

--Complains only about stuff that matters, and only to those who can do something about it.

Come to think about it, for those who are/were Boy Scouts, the Scout Law and the Scout Oath aren't bad guides, either. And they are without a doubt old-fashioned values. (Note: Old-fashioned is not equal to Outdated.)

wooderson
May 6, 2007, 02:20 AM
Damn, I thought this was going to be about retro guns.

I thought of registering "lowspeedhighdrag.com" for a gun blog - revolvers, 1911s, rimfire rifles, Case knives, etc.. Hope none you bandits steal that before I can make up my mind. (though even if you do I have a better one in mind, so take that)

Scanr
May 6, 2007, 11:58 AM
Terry
That is just so wrong on so many levels. Simple though. Very 50's and those years were'nt better. Nice assigned gender roles. No one was asked if they want those roles. Sheesh. This is old time Hemmingway chest-beating stuff.

Really? Please enlighten us. I do not see on instance of chest beating in this list. Actually I see quite the opposite. The example is to suck up and be a man, not whine and complain when life throws you a curve ball.

Gender roles are not assigned, gender roles just are. Back in the 70's and 80's they tried to raise some children, boys and girls, in a gender neutral environment. The experiment failed. The boys would pick up a stick and that stick would become a sword or a gun to them and the girls would show all the loving and nurturing traits. This goes back to the old saying "boys will be boys and girls will be girls."

What is so threatening to you about this list of standards and ideals? No, the 50's were not perfect, but they were a heck of a lot better than what we have today. The instances of unwed mothers and teen pregnancies have gone up exponentially. Back then, a man took care of his responsibilities, and shame kept a lot people from doing what they should not have in the first place. Gangs and gang violence has gone up just as dramatically, then a father was around to correct his son and keep him out of a gang. Did bad things happen? Certainly, but you cannot tell me that in this age of enlightenment that these bad things have lessened to any degree and I contend they have become a lot worse.

Again, please tell us all that is wrong with this list. I really want to know.

wooderson
May 6, 2007, 12:19 PM
Gender roles are not assigned, gender roles just are.
rofl

Crunker1337
May 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
I'm not saying it's bad to be a retro-man, I'm just proud to not be one. If that's you and you're a good person, cool. But it's not me and not being retro doesn't make me a coward or a dishonorable person.

Archie
May 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
I know Roy Huntington. He's an old shooting buddy from the 1970s. He was a humble but lovable San Diego cop and I was humble but lovable Marine Sergeant soon to be a Border 'Troll.

Just for the record, he really is like that. No B. S. He also has a good sense of humor and laughs easily.

In the world of firearms, I'm still retro. I prefer single action 1911 autopistols and pinned barrel S&W revolvers to plastic guns. I also prefer rear wheel drive automobiles to front wheel drive automobiles. I prefer manual transmissions to automatics (except when I'm stuck in traffic.)

A word about 'dealing with it'. Calling an expert to fix the wiring or plumbing is not a sign of weakness. Dealing with it means doing what is needed to correct the problem and get on with life. Whining about the lights going out or suing the city because of the tree you planted in your front yard which is now in the sewer is weakness. And a desire to avoid responsibility. Going to a doctor to take care of an injury is dealing with it. Suing the ladder manufacturer because you aren't bright enough to operate a ladder and you fell off is being a weenie.

Crunker1337, I'm not challenging you, but how are you not a retro guy and why does that make you proud? You said some parts fit and some don't but didn't elaborate, I'm curious.

Terry: The 1950's... Okay, I don't miss the Cold War and I don't miss Jim Crow laws. I do miss purchasing firearms by mail and quality made U. S. firearms. I miss men wearing hats and putting on a tie to go out to dinner. I don't miss industrial waste but I do miss '57 Chevys, '59 Caddies and Studebaker Golden Hawks. I miss African hunting and open space in the United States. I really miss convenient, local shooting ranges. I miss the Democrats being on the side of the common working man. And Ernest Hemmingway was a man.
So Terry, what is your objection(s) to the 1950s?

Well, so are Roy Huntington and Craig Boddington. There are others. All is not lost, but we've lost a lot since then.

General Geoff
May 6, 2007, 02:31 PM
I miss men wearing hats and putting on a tie to go out to dinner.

I always put on a tie, and my fedora when going out for almost any reason.

Dixie_Amazon
May 6, 2007, 03:18 PM
My husband is a RetroGuy, and I wouldn't change a thing about him. Nothing major anyway. ;)

I am getting this book for my boys just in case. The Dangerous Book for Boys (http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Book-Boys-Conn-Iggulden/dp/0061243582/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6239569-3676838?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178478321&sr=8-1)

It is sad what boys aren't taught or allowed to do anymore.

Barbara
May 6, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm trying to figure out two things:

1.) How pussification is different than, say, ******ification..

2.) What any of this has to do with guns.

ezypikns
May 6, 2007, 04:11 PM

or gentlewoman, Barbara.

I don't think this stuff has ever gone out of style.

One other thing I'd like to add:

The ability to simply say "I don't know.", when you don't.

Barbara
May 6, 2007, 06:53 PM
I'd think not using words like pussy as an insult would be a good way to start behaving in a gentlemanly manner.

sm
May 6, 2007, 07:24 PM
I am a 52 year old white male , and can relate to the Original Post.

Ladies also did and still do the things in that Original Post.

They work[ed]ed to keep a family fed and safe, while husbands fought wars, or were widowed because of war.
I've seen ladies offer a seat to a male, a elderly male, not even a Vet.

Name anything a male can do, a lady can do it as well.
Heck I know ladies with a better workshop and set up with tools than men.

So while I will say "I was raised right" , while I will say I was from the "last good generation" and while I will say "How raised What you do"...

Ladies can and do say the same things. Heck even some younger than I , born after what I call "the last good generation" - have attributes.
I have a right to be proud of the time I was born in - so does everyone else.

Race.
Well I recall my first days in a Sociology class , with 85 students , from black, white, Native Americans, Indians [from India] Hispanics, Jews and name any other country , race, culture or creed.

A little "discussion" flared up about blacks and whites, personal responsibility and ...
Dictionary was tossed to a black student and told to read aloud the definition of ******. Which he did.
"Now, you have a choice to be ******, or a upstanding, respected Negroid, African American or whatever the hell else you chose to call yourselves..." - PhD Professor

Did I mention this PhD in Soc was a Black man?

Indoctrination by Gov't Meddlin', Hollywood, Politicians, and "Organizations" are eroding and re-defining values . It does matter if black, white, green , or polka-dotted.
Male, female, transexual, bi, gay or have a thing for sex with goats or Harley's...personal responsibility ...
From inside, how you carry yourself..." - PhD

Screw the stereotypes.
What do others define you as being from the way you go about life?

redneck2
May 6, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm not saying it's bad to be a retro-man, I'm just proud to not be one. If that's you and you're a good person, cool. But it's not me and not being retro doesn't make me a coward or a dishonorable person.
This is the way people were raised and behaved in the pre-70's era. If my dad wanted another electric outlet, he wired it himself. We fixed our own machinery. I saw him buy expensive farm equipment on a handshake deal all the time. To break your word was an unforgivable sin. We didn't even have locks on our doors. We'd go away for the day and not think a thing about it.

I'd think not using words like pussy as an insult would be a good way to start behaving in a gentlemanly manner.
You're missing the whole point. It's not about being a macho jerk, it's about being some kind of a cornerstone for your family and a role model. Men were men and women were women. Men were strong and the provider for the family. Hell, today there are "men" that can't even change a tire.

They carry a "manpurse"....:barf:

Scanr
May 6, 2007, 08:00 PM
Barbara some of us men forget that there are ladies on the forum and such language should be left in the gutter. I do not curse, either in public or private.

Barbara
May 6, 2007, 08:06 PM
Personally, I'm happy as heck things are the way they are now. I can hold any job I'm qualified for, public schools can't deny me admission except on merit, I don't have to tolerate being beaten, I don't have to marry someone to avoid starving to death, etc.

Do I think that's enough? Eh. Pretty much. I'd be happy when boys in grown men's bodies stopped being so insecure with themselves that they need to use a vulgar word for a woman as an insult to each other, but I'm happy. If it means I don't have to let some fool act chivalrous for me, that's a swap I'm willing to make.

Moderators: The thread should have been closed as off topic. Since it wasn't, I've said my piece.

sm
May 6, 2007, 08:15 PM
Moderators: The thread should have been closed as off topic. Since it wasn't, I've said my piece.

Agree, and I too said my piece.

RCouch
May 6, 2007, 08:19 PM
JWarren:

Chartreuse is a puky looking green, not pink.

Larry Ashcraft
May 6, 2007, 08:23 PM
OT. Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm a Retro-Guy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!