What's the weirdest thing you've ever shot?

PDA

2dogs
January 7, 2003, 07:37 PM
I'm thinking target- TV, watermelon, basketball?

Yeah, it's a dumb thread.:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the weirdest thing you've ever shot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nathaniel Firethorn
January 7, 2003, 07:40 PM
Jody Hudson's .357 Derringer. :eek:

- pdmoderator

Yohan
January 7, 2003, 07:44 PM
A golf ball :D

sm
January 7, 2003, 07:45 PM
Besides the walking Catfish?;)

Ok , don't do this at home.
Shot a glass orb representing targets of olden days with a blackpowder shotgun. Nostalgia , History, way cool :cool:

BrokenPaw
January 7, 2003, 07:50 PM
A nickel.

I was at an outdoor range down in South Carolina, on my first day with my (then) new Win 70 7mm. I had the BOSS tuned as well as I could manage, and the scope sighted in.

I was trying to think of a challenge for myself, and my hand ran across a handful of change in my pocket. I reasoned thus: "What the heck...". So I duct-taped a nickel and a quarter to a bit of heavy corrugated cardboard and walked it out to the 100-yard line (the furthest one).[0] Wandered back to the firing line and settled in on a sandbag, and took one shot at each coin. the quarter got a bite taken out of the rim, and the nickel got a lovely little off-center hole. I keep it on my keychain, now, as a conversation-piece.

Was it sheer blind luck? Yeah. It was. I wasn't that good of a shooter at the time. But you'll never get me to admit it. :cool:

-BP

[0] There was no one else at the range; I'd never have tried doing this in front of anyone...my true shooting skill might show itself, and they'd laugh at me. ;)

Ebbtide
January 7, 2003, 07:55 PM
Shoot at: An explosive target in a power ranger doll.

Shot (as in weapon): A PVC potato gun, went right thru a 3/4 peice of OSB (Plywood)

blades67
January 7, 2003, 07:58 PM
Horse poop. Shelly and I are the only two people, that I currently know, that can honestly say we shot the poop while we were hanging out.:evil:

Penman
January 7, 2003, 08:02 PM
A large carp. Had him out of the water, just wanted to settle him down to get my fish arrow out.

TheeBadOne
January 7, 2003, 08:19 PM
A tank (M4 to be precise), put a nice big hole in it, should have seen the sparks!

BamBam
January 7, 2003, 08:25 PM
An institutional-size can of creamed corn with a 12 ga. slug.
Be sure to stand at least 50 ft. away.....big mess!

hso
January 7, 2003, 08:30 PM
An inflatable Barney filled with raspberry jello:uhoh:

Rangerover
January 7, 2003, 08:34 PM
A VERY large, hairy, evil "Devilspider" :what: staked out on a web, blocking my back door a few years back when I lived way off in the forest.

Devilspider was from hell and immune to pesticide. :what:

I was determined to prevail and immune to common sense. :scrutiny:

Shot'im with a S&W .38 Spl. :evil:

Devilspider succumbed to accute lead poisoning. :neener:

bpisler
January 7, 2003, 08:37 PM
I shot a 1qt oil can in the late 70's using a 7.62X25 tokarev,coming this round to a 357 or 44mag i really was not impressed.I sat the can on a tree stump,stepped back about 10ft,aimed and fired.The can exploded and showered me,my dad and brother in motor oil.they were less than ompressed with me at that point.

Al Thompson
January 7, 2003, 08:43 PM
I used to plink at a dump when in college. Shot a toilet. I was too stupid (and close) to realize that those porcelain chips would bounce out and tear me up. Most painful shot I've ever taken!

standingbear
January 7, 2003, 08:51 PM
i tried and tried to get this 1 groundhog for years(it was a huge gray colored one vs the usual mangy brown).could not get a clear shot,it musta had xray vison and saw me sneaking ,crawling around on the hill.i gave up and filled in all the holes but 1 and dropped a smoke canister in that and quickly covered it up.i heard a noise in a nearby tree and looked up.that darn groundhog was up an apple tree,over a branch looking down at me, clicking his chomps together.easy nuff.

Sisco
January 7, 2003, 08:57 PM
My son won't let me throw away any broken electronic device, they all to the trash pit at the range. TV's, radios etc.
Computer mice are fun, hang them by the cord and make 'em swing.
The most fun I had was with full cans of automotive paint. Met a guy at the range who had a whole bunch of .44 mag ammo he wanted to use up before he sold the gun. He also had a big box full of paint cans he picked up at a body shop. Looked like lava lamps when they got hit and the lids blew off.

pale horse
January 7, 2003, 09:01 PM
I shot the beek off of a woodpecker at 30 yards and shot a grasshopper at 10 ft hip firing style.

cratz2
January 7, 2003, 09:03 PM
Speaking of watermelons... the weirdest thing I ever shot was a watermelon. When the Glaser Safety Slugs started coming out, a dealer picked them up and told me that regardless of how they worked on bad guys, the results were pretty spectacular with watermelons. So I ended up shooting a couple then wanted to see what it looked like from a different angle so I had a friend shoot one while I was a few feet to the side (of the shooter, not the watermelon)

Kestryll
January 7, 2003, 09:10 PM
Cousin on my Mother's side, man was he wierd !!

:neener: The above is a joke, it is only a joke, had there been real humor you would now be laughing.:neener:

Oatka
January 7, 2003, 09:20 PM
A safety lesson - shot a can of tomatoes at short range with a 22 HP to show my kids what that "tiny" cartridge could do. Goo all over the place and lots of "Euwwws". Lesson learned.

Would get up at dawn and take my kids hunting snails in the California ice plant. We'd collect a bunch, then line 'em up on a patch of dirt and play "Shoot Rommel's tanks in North Africa". A BB shot through the body leaked out all the fluid, meaning a hit in the fuel tanks. One lucky shot took off the antennae of another, which kept him from relaying the ambush back to HQ. Caught Hell from Momma for all the empty, stinking shells in the back yard that afternoon. Graves and Registration cleanup was Yukky, as was the original.

A neighbor woke up to hear us calling out, "You blew the treads off!, There goes the fuel tank!, Quick! He's pulling out of formation! . . .", etc. She told my wife, "You have a strange family."

Will always remember a cool shot by my youngest boy. I saw a snail clinging to the underside of a leaf and yelled "Jap sniper!". My boy dropped to one knee and put a shot right through the body at 15 feet. Snail dropped like a stone. Cool.

After we ran out of snails, we went to ship models.

Had naval battles in a local pond, using BB rifles. Sank the Prince of Wales again - spooky, as she rolled to starboard and went down stern first like the original. Had a helluva time sinking the Bismarck, just like the original. (I added a half dozen transverse blukheads so she wouldn't flood so fast. )

We graduated to cutting the heads off kitchen matches and mixing them in with FFFF black powder and putting them in the compartment under the bridge. They didn't often go off, but when they did it was COOL - turrents and debris flying though the clouds of smoke. The Graf Spee made a spectacular exit that way.

When the pond dried up, we'd find the wreckage, paste airplane tissue over the holes, and sink 'em next next year. After a while it ended - we didn't grow up - they made a golf course out of the place. :(

Good Times, Good Times. ;)

PATH
January 7, 2003, 09:27 PM
coins at distance. I know it is not really weird but I am so strait laced it is pathetic.:o

Fed168
January 7, 2003, 09:37 PM
In college my roommate and I took two of the 4 lb pretzel barrels, ya know the ones you get at Sams, used them as spitoons and filled em up.

Quite nasty, as you can imagine. A .40 cal Hydra Shok blew them apart, luckily we were far enough away not to get a Copenhagen shower.

Greybeard
January 7, 2003, 09:44 PM
A big, bad Oklahoma buzzard before I knew any better as a 12 year old. I had just stepped off back porch to go rabbit hunting with a single shot 20 gauge when it cruised in low and slow ... Almost landed on me - still alive. (Where is that smiley with barf on one side and brown matter on the other ??? ) Granny made me bury it pronto. Never again. (Need for bigger barfin' smiley.) Again, never again!

Watchman
January 7, 2003, 09:50 PM
A half empty 20 pound Propane bottle at 300 yards with a .50 BMG API.

Spectacular.

Dont try this at home or where leaves are present...:what:

Average Guy
January 7, 2003, 10:00 PM
Not the weirdest, but the dumbest: A live shotgun shell. Somewhere around 10 years old. As you can imagine, the primer came back at speed and hit me in the knee. I was pretty calm about it--and imagine the youthful cachet of being able to say I'd been "shot." :D

capnrik
January 7, 2003, 10:06 PM
A gopher.

I was once married to a girl who loved her garden. We had a house on three acres, about nine miles out of town. I worked pretty hard at keeping the lawn nice, but I hated working in her garden.

The gophers invaded, and I tried water, biowar, chem warfare, etc. No luck.

Finally, it dawned on me to convince my wife that the gophers would eventually eat the roots in her vegetable garden. (I have no idea that such a thing is possible, but I was very convincing.)

This panicked my bride, and she threw a fit; insisting that I shoot everyone of those *&^%$# pests.

Thus, instead of being allowed to help pull weeds, I was forced to sit in the shade with a scoped Winchester Model 74 full of hollowpoints.

This was very thirsty work, and I would usually have a beer or two while keeping a vigil eye out for the intruders.

The most memorable kill came on an October afternoon, when we hosted a barbeque for my customers and their families. I was a fishing guide at the time.)

There were about fifty of us sitting under the trees, eating brisket from Dozier's in Fulshear, TX, and sipping suds from the keg.

My neighbors' son dropped his plate, pointed behind me and yelled "GOPHER!". I turned, and sure enough, right in front of my reloading shack sat one of the insidious tunnel rats, looking like he owned the place.

My wife looked horror stricken, and I knew I had to act. Dashing inside, I grabbed the first gun I could find; a Browning Citori 12 gauge O/U.

I ran through the kitchen, hearing customers' wives scream, "Oh my God, he's got a gun!!"

Past the grilled chicken, around the potato salad and hurdling the beer keg, I closed to killing range, dropped to one knee and let him have it.

Both barrels.

Pandemonium ensued. The volleyball game was abandoned, as parents grabbed their children in horror. My brother choked on a piece of chicken and spewed Bud Light through his nostrils.

Larry Bozka, nationally known outdoor writer laughed so hard he dropped his guitar and fell out of his chair.

My wife was pissed.

I've re-married now, and she still has the house. Word is, she's married to a nice guy that's really handy around the place.

But I'll bet money he never got those gophers.

Drjones
January 7, 2003, 10:11 PM
There were about fifty of us sitting under the trees, eating brisket from Dozier's in Fulshear, TX, and sipping suds from the keg.

capnrik, of all the glorious stories I've heard of Texas, yours takes the cake. :D

Texas really is heaven! Maybe I should start believing in God so's I can get there!:uhoh: :rolleyes:

You sure know how to make a man jealous! Heh; brisket and beer under trees! Bah! Lucky SOB you are...;)

J Miller
January 7, 2003, 11:38 PM
The weirdest gun I ever shot was some form of cartridge with percussion cap b. p. rifle. The owner turned the cases out of brass rod on a lathe. Drilled a flash hole in the case head and taped it shut. Then filled the case with b.p. and shuved a ball or bullet in the case mouth.
It was sort of a falling block thing with a cap nipple. Insert cartridge with tape removed from flash hole. Close action, put on cap. Line up rudimentary sights and pull trigger.
Watch as flame, sparks, and smoke come from everywhere! :eek:
Safty glasses a must with that thing.

The weirdest object I ever shot was a brilliant white refridgerator sitting out in the desert. Some one had dumpted it. Stood it upright. My friend and I simple couldn't resest filling it with holes.
After doing that we went up close to inspect the damage. It was full of rotted and rotting food. :puke
We almost couldn't quit gagging.
Later we laughed at ourselfs and couldn't stop laughing.

45King
January 7, 2003, 11:42 PM
Al T. wrote:Shot a toilet. I was too stupid (and close) to realize that those porcelain chips would bounce out and tear me up. Most painful shot I've ever taken!

Oh, you too? Al, is there something in the water here that makes us do these things?;)

cratz2
January 7, 2003, 11:48 PM
Thought of another one... We lived in the Houston area from when I was in the second grade to the fifth grade. I took a likin' to hunting frogs. Shot them with a couple different pellet guns - both with pellets and BBs. Learned a valuable about the ricochet capabilities of round BBs. :D

Well, you know those quasi-mechanical pencils where they have a clear body and about 8 pieces of lead in little pieces of white plastic and when the first one gets dull or worn down, you take it out and put it in the back which pushes the rest of the lead things forward... Well, those fit just perfectly when loaded from the front of a BB gun. And those things will really go right through any part of any frog from any angle. I KNOW this.

Shootin' Buddy
January 7, 2003, 11:51 PM
A 24pack of Cola. Shot the whole pack one can at a time. Shake it up, toss it in the air, man was it fun. Man was I sticky.

Ron L
January 7, 2003, 11:51 PM
An airplane. Cessna 152 to be exact.

OK, it was already scrapped w/o interior, motor, and landing gear, basically the fuselage and wings, but we put some holes through the rudder and posed for pics with our "trophy".

pax
January 7, 2003, 11:56 PM
Zucchinis explode!

Pointman
January 8, 2003, 12:52 AM
Weapon: American Derringer 45C/410ga... ouch.

Target: cheap (store brand) cans of various color/flavor shaken up soda pop... makes nice rainbows.

Mike Irwin
January 8, 2003, 01:13 AM
Railroad track torpedos.

Catch one correctly and it's quite fun.

DeadCalm
January 8, 2003, 01:31 AM
I've killed my share of birds and mammals of many types, but shooting off the beak of a woodpecker is nothing to brag about. It's the rough equivalent of having someone shooting off your lower jaw and tongue. And yes, the bird and the man will live a while after. Plus do you know it's illegal to shoot protected species like that woodpecker? $500 a pop, last I heard. Please find something else to shoot in your spare time. Sad.
Ross

PDshooter
January 8, 2003, 01:47 AM
A mouse! with my S&W686
Snake shot! He just pissed me off for the last time!:evil:

Flying V
January 8, 2003, 02:14 AM
Weirdest thing I ever shot: A dead 486 motherboard. I expected the .50 AE to blow it into a million pieces. Instead, it punched square holes through it. I suppose it was due to the cross-lamination of the fiberglass.

deputy tom
January 8, 2003, 02:36 AM
A spaghetti squash at 10 paces with a 12 ga shotgun.WOW what a mess.tom.:eek:

Salpalinja
January 8, 2003, 06:42 AM
A russian car called Lada, with a 23mm AAA gun. We were shooting ground targets. Great fun.

jsalcedo
January 8, 2003, 07:00 AM
An old brunswick bowling ball with my mosin nagant at about
15 yards. It broke into large shards.

1970 El Camino at a machine gun shoot at Villarreals Ice house
near Helotes Texas

A Car Battery at a garbage dump with my SKS at about 40 yards
I didn't realize it was going to really explode.... no injuries
thankfully.

About 9 1960's era TV sets with my Egyptian Hakim 8mm semiauto
No implosions but great sparks if I hit the coil at the back of the tube.

Oven, dryer, washing machine refrigerator, lined them up and strafed them rapid fire. me and 2 budies I had a Taurus
.357 with 110 grain JHP they both had SKS's

Watching the bullet holes appear in rapid sucession across
the appliances was awesome.

Abandoned 1964 rambler After shooting out all the mirrors and
windows with my mosin nagant I was able to blow the wheels off
with one good shot to the grease cap shattering the wheel bearing. That old steel cored ammo was fun!

Kahr carrier
January 8, 2003, 08:39 AM
A Vole.Which is a little critter.:neener:

Thumper
January 8, 2003, 09:43 AM
Shot at inert Claymores with live blasting caps trying to find a way to "remote control" 'em. Still can't figure out why it didn't work.

Sisco
January 8, 2003, 10:04 AM
Oatka, your snail story had me rolling!
After reading the other posts I remember a couple of other things shot but now forgot.
A 24 tape case of 8-track tapes. Shot it with a 243, had recording tape strung out for yards.
a 30gal aquarium full of water (no fish!). .22LR put a hole in the front side, blew the glass out of the other three.
Bowling ball with a Desert Eagle 50AE. Bowling balls don't hold up well to abuse.
There's some other stuff I did when I was 17-18 but it was so stupid I'm not going to admit to it in writing. Unsure of the statute of limitations too. :D

Kamicosmos
January 8, 2003, 11:01 AM
Another computer geek here who has shot my fair share of dead motherboards, hard drives, CDROM drives, PC Cases and old monitors.

Most interesting, (and probably dangerous, so don't do it)
was shooting a 1/2" piece of iron plate at 25 yards with a .340 Weatherby Magnum. Went clean through. The hole looked like the wounds the liquid terminator recieved in T2...

Kamicosmos

bogie
January 8, 2003, 11:32 AM
Weapon: Mossy 500, 18.5" barrel, standard stock

Load: Superduper 3" monstermagnum deer slug

Distance: 7-10 yards

Target: 1 gallon plastic milk jug

Filling: Grape Kool-Ade (Barney Blood)

The jug was in little pieces. The ground was not wet. You could, however, taste grape kool-ade in the air...

HeadCleaver
January 8, 2003, 11:33 AM
Destroyed a bunker with a SMAW warhead. The stupidest target I ever shot was a large piece lexan with a Winchester Defender. Busted it in half. I thought there was enough distance between us. The first and last stupid firearm mistake I ever made. Hey, I was young. I still have a piece of shot near my eyebrow as a reminder.:o :D

Edward429451
January 8, 2003, 12:02 PM
Dragonfly in flight with my CA Bulldog .44 Special. Used a shotshell, but dont tell the guys who were with me. They still talk as if I'm some kinda Ed McGivern or something!

TarpleyG
January 8, 2003, 12:27 PM
An inflatable Barney filled with raspberry jello
How'd you get the Jell-O inside Barney? Inquiring minds want to know.

GT

griz
January 8, 2003, 12:40 PM
A small tree. The car was stuck in the mud and I didn't have a saw or a shovel. I did have a 9 mm and a stout pry bar would get the car out. It took less ammo than I thought to shoot down a 4 inch tree.

Bogie's experience with the jug of Kool-aid reminded me of a similar one. Mine was just a gallon of water but if you apply enough energy, a 70 grain 243 bullet IIRC, very little liquid escapes. It just gets very humid where the jug used to be.:D

Powderman
January 8, 2003, 12:57 PM
There I was, stationed at Ft. Bliss, TX, at the rod and gun club. Just me on the range, and my .44 Magnum, and 300 rounds of 250 grain LSWC midrange loads and 180 grain screamers, packed to the gills with H110.

I was setting up on my bench when this crow :scrutiny: decided to land on the shelter right above my bench. Before I could register it, the crow :what: had POOPED right on my ammunition.

:cuss:

I said a few choice words while cleaning the bird excreta off the ammo.

Then, fate stepped in. The same crow responsible for the defecation attack went downrange and landed on the 25 yard target frame. :fire: :cuss:

Bad move, Mr. Crow.

No one else was on the range.

I loaded with Ammunition, .44 Remington Magnum, Jacketed Hollow Point, 180 grain Sierra Power Jacket, w/ 27.5 of H110, 1 each. :fire:

I took careful aim.

I carefully pressed the trigger.

The result?

Explosion, Crow, Black w/Feathers and Beak--1 each. :evil:

There is justice in the world, my friends.

Tamara
January 8, 2003, 12:58 PM
A cantaloupe that, with magic marker and a toilet paper turban, had been transformed into Osama bin Melon.

Scott Evans, that was creative genius! :D

KMKeller
January 8, 2003, 01:07 PM
A glock...:uhoh:

(quickly dons flame retardant suit)

KMKeller
January 8, 2003, 01:14 PM
That's just plain nasty!:scrutiny:

M67
January 8, 2003, 01:56 PM
Stupidest target?

Bachelor party. Inflatable sheep. Blackpowder cannon. :cool:

Sisco
January 8, 2003, 02:08 PM
You guys in Norway know how to party!
I've been to a lot of batchelor parties, but never one with a black powder cannon present.
Or an inflatable sheep for that matter.:what:

hso
January 8, 2003, 02:47 PM
Filling inflatable toys with jello -

second set of hands
narrow throat funnel
jello
hot water
ice water
ice
large cooler

ready cooler by putting "Barney" on bed of ice
insert funnel into nipple
disolve jello in boiling water to make concentrated mixture
carefully pour mixture into funnel/"Barney"
immediately pour ice water into funnel/"Barney"
agitate "Barney" (not like shooting it won't be agitating enough)
repeat until "Barney" is full
seal nipple
put more ice around "Barney" and fill cooler with water
close lid
have beer
repeat (the beer part) until "Barney" is semisolid
surprise friends and horrify onlookers

I first did this for my son's 10th burthday, but we actually "attacked" Barney with a sword and my son and his friends ate barney "flesh" in a gooey frenzy. [my wife did not exactly approve]

M67
January 8, 2003, 02:48 PM
Sisco, the sheep was a joke. We tried to make the groom-to-be take the carcass back to the store to complain...

We started the party at a shooting range (no drinking involved at that stage). The guy had tried a little bull's eye and those organizing the party wanted to let him try something with a higher "coolness" factor - that's when they called me and a couple of others :) . Between us, we brought some black powder guns, "grown up" hand guns, suppressed "sniper" rifles... add a few reactive targets... we had a blast :D

The cannon belonged to someone's father in law, who thought it was really cool that we borrowed it and actually fired it. You should have seen the on-site cleaning of that gun - three soot faced gentlemen outside the range rest room, busy with cannon, hot water, motor oil and a toilet brush - just the right caliber, you'da thunk it was made for cannon cleaning. :p

JHill
January 8, 2003, 03:04 PM
A falling rain drop.:cool:

coop57
January 8, 2003, 03:46 PM
A empty vietnamese refugee boat in 1977 in the South China Seas. Used a 5" MK 54 Naval Gun. After we had unloaded the 100 or so refugees from this 30 foot POS we then sank it from about 1,100 yards away. It only took two shots. It was a hazard to navigation.
Those were the days.

DonP
January 8, 2003, 04:26 PM
Two of us were checking the wire outside of our base at Phu Loi and one of the normally totally passive water buffalo, that the kids use in the fields, got weird and started snorting and huffing. After two or three false charges it came galloping from about 100 feet away.

It took three rounds of .223 but it dropped it. All in all, a very Hemingway kind of moment. But having something the size of a VW charging you is unsettling.

We (the US Gubmint) had to pay the Papa san $1000 for it. The only reason I didn't get busted for it was about twenty other people, including the OIC, saw the whole thing and said there wasn't any other alternative.

Don P.

4570Rick
January 8, 2003, 05:38 PM
You know those big extinguishers mounted on hand trucks, the ones that sit around airports? The plume went about 20 feet up in the air and lasted several mins. :evil:

Pawcatch
January 8, 2003, 05:57 PM
Does an otter in a trap count?Everything was within the law,though.

bogie
January 8, 2003, 06:04 PM
My father had a cow somehow accidentally walk in front of his Browning MG in Germany. His outfit had steaks...

CWL
January 8, 2003, 06:10 PM
Shot a cow with an RPG. It was communist.

Drjones
January 8, 2003, 06:14 PM
Shot a cow with an RPG. It was communist.

:what:

Dude, I BUSTED A GUT when I read that!!!! :D :D

Got any pics???

What, praytell, did an RPG do to a cow???

Big Al
January 8, 2003, 06:32 PM
Weapon - Crosman 760 Pumpmaster - .177 caliber
Target - common snapping turtle, approx. 12-15#
Ammo - Crosman .177 pointed pellets and air gun darts

First shot was to the back of the head, with air gun dart. Sent turtle into floating spins on pond surface. The rest of the shots were finishers. First turtle I ever ate (yummy!)

hso
January 8, 2003, 07:08 PM
While I did not make this shot it, and many others like it, is documented in the environmental investigation records at a Govt. site.

Hazardous chemical containers and pressurized gas cylinders were disposed of at some facilities by being shot with 30-06 or .308 rifles while partially suspended in ponds. Most would slowly fill with water and sink to the bottom of the pond. Most, but not all! Some of them were not exctly empty at the time. Some of the cylinders would briefly slip the bonds of gravity to merrily go skipping across the surface of the water before sinking (or embedding themselves into the bank). In at least one instance a drum of lab chemicals refused to sink after being dropped into a quarry. The rifles were broken out and one of the lucky marksmen hit the 55 gallon drum. This resulted in a bright flash, rapidly moving P-wave, and a thunderclap. No one was injured, but a 30 ft site trailer was blown over on it's side and the trees on the quarry walls and around the rim caught fire.

Thumper
January 8, 2003, 08:04 PM

Dozier's rocks.

HadEmAll
January 8, 2003, 08:16 PM
At the range one morning, I used my backpacking stove to make coffee. When it was time to leave, I disassembled the stove, and the propane cylinder wouldn't seal up. A slight hiss and smell of propane. What do you do? At the rate it was leaking it would leak for hours. Couldn't throw it in trash, couldn't put it in truck. Hmmmmm....... I'm at the range..........so... Only had pistols, so shot it at 25 yards with a .357 while concealing myself behind a sturdy oak tree. In my ignorance, I expected a fireball for sure, but just produced a big mist that dissipated pretty quickly.

Bainx
January 8, 2003, 08:31 PM
I once enjoyed placing a 30.06 round into a defunct printer.
Man, the plastic shrapnel was falling for quite a while!

Butch
January 8, 2003, 09:49 PM
A 5 gal can of gasoline set in frount of a fire with a safe backstop at night. :what: Now I know how they make all those a-bomb explosions in the movies:D

Fed168
January 8, 2003, 11:12 PM
My dad was shooting in a high power match a while back and had a bumble bee fly in front of the M14.

Gewehr98
January 9, 2003, 12:08 AM
Out of a .410 bolt action shotgun. Went completely through a 10" diameter sugar maple tree. I had to hacksaw off both ends of the arrow flush with the tree, it wouldn't budge.

Uncle Ethan
January 9, 2003, 01:51 AM
My 1957 GMC pickup while on a deer hunt in Arizona-- Don't ask!

Archie
January 9, 2003, 02:15 AM
When I was about 14 or 15, the Norwegian neighbor lady had a rat problem. There was a rat under her front porch that would come out and eat the bread crumbs left for the birds.

Upon request, I set up a blind in our window facing her yard.
I had a Daisy CO200 (BB) pistol. I put a CO2 cylinder in place, and ran it under some hot water from the kitchen sink to get a little more umphf out of the pistol.

Rat showed up, I aimed right behind the front shoulder, and a bit low. Executed a proper squeeze and nailed Mr. Rat. He made it back under the porch and died.

Probably the oddest thing I ever shot was a stack of microfiche. They were obsolete and I was curious about them.
I could not shoot through them. No matter how I tried to hold them together (I was shooting the whole stack, not singles) they would rupture and "slide" out of the way of the projectile. I tried three or four times and had to pick them all up singly to tidy the range. I finally gave up.

Second hand story. Friend comes up with empty five gallon GLASS Sparkletts water bottle. Fill with gasoline. Stick rag in top of bottle and you have the "World's Largest Molotov Cocktail", right?
Wrong. The gas just wicks up the rag and burns merrily but sedately.
So friend breaks out old Springfield '03 match rifle. From about 100 yards out, beams down a landing party.....
He says the fireball mushroomed about 100 feet in the air, but he's a bad judge of distance.

Billll
January 9, 2003, 02:41 AM
1)I've got a BP mortar chambered for a pop can full of cement. Tried it with a pop can full of pop. Can went about 15 feet and hung in a tree. The pop just seemed to vanish.
2) Near miss on a rabbit from about 500 yds with a 12lb bowling ball fired from our air cannon.

Lord Grey Boots
January 9, 2003, 03:16 AM
What, praytell, did an RPG do to a cow???

As a guess, make hamburger?

Sisco
January 9, 2003, 10:18 AM
coop57
What ship were you on? As a participant of the First Annual Joan Biaez Refugee Hunt I remember watching a similar action.
We also took out a skinking Tiwanese fishing boat after rescuing the crew. Highlight of the cruise.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the weirdest thing you've ever shot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!