reintroduction

PDA

CZ.22
May 5, 2007, 11:59 AM
It seems that with the concealed carry market bigger than ever, Colt would re-introduce their DS and S&W their M12 2'' and M10 2''. Have their been any murmurings about reintroduction of these models?
Oh, yeah, is the M64 3'' really discontinued, because it is listed under their LEO section.

If you enjoyed reading about "reintroduction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dot_mdb
May 5, 2007, 09:54 PM
I think that if Smith & Wesson thought they could make money on those guns they would produce them. The demand is just not there and the guns are probably costly to produce. Also it seems like S&W has decided that it prefers the L frame guns in .357 mag and those are not comfortable for concealed carry. The Model 12s were very light however there were some durability problems. A number of years ago I spoke to one of the managers at S&W and was advised to stay away from those guns in the used market. I guess Smith could make a better Model 12 today but again, the demand is not there.

I found the 3" M64 with the civilian models in the on line catalog but that doesn't mean it is still being produced.

The Detective Special is in a class by itself. I bought one a few years ago and sent it back to Colt to have it tightened up. It is a fine gun, but I prefer my Model 640 which I shoot better.

I doubt that Colt will ever produce another DS. Many years ago Smith tried to produce a similar gun but never released it. Maybe Taurus could be convinced to try a DS style gun since they seem to like producing new models.

Bill

ugaarguy
May 5, 2007, 10:10 PM
I don't think S&W is interested in making M12s when they can barely meet demand for the 642 and 442. I don't think they're better all around guns than the snubby K-frames, but they are even easier to carry & conceal.

CZ.22
May 5, 2007, 10:24 PM
Dot- I cannot seem to find the M64 3'' in their 'Revolvers' section.
Ugaarguy- I know these models are popular, but if they can barely meet demand, why are they now making a rifle?

ArchAngelCD
May 5, 2007, 11:19 PM
CZ.22,
Click on "Firearms, Law Enforcement Military and Government, LE Revolvers, LE Revolver Duty Carry" and you will see it there...

Dot_mdb
May 5, 2007, 11:23 PM
Go here:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=11001

Select Model 64 from the Model box window. It displays the 3" and 4" models.

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "reintroduction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!