blueing wear/burn off?

PDA

tssievert
May 5, 2007, 11:24 PM
i was out shooting my new to me 44 redhawk today and i love it, but i think i might have a problem. this is my first blued revolver, i noticed on my last SS 44 revolver that the cylinder turnd a littl blue at the chamber after firing a few rounds but i didn't think anything of it, now my blued redhawk is burning the bluing off of the cylinder at the chambers.
i guess my question is "is this normal?" can i fix it? am i doing somthing wrong? is there anything to do to prevent this? or is this just normal wear?

thanks in advance

troy

If you enjoyed reading about "blueing wear/burn off?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Real Wyatt
May 6, 2007, 12:32 AM
The bluing is still there, it's just buried under all that crud. A liberal application of Hoppes #9, a brass brush and some elbow grease will take care of it.

tssievert
May 6, 2007, 03:15 PM
brass brush on the outside of the cylinder?

is there anyway to prevent this?

Majic
May 6, 2007, 06:31 PM
The brass brush won't hurt the bluing.
is there anyway to prevent this?
Don't shoot the gun. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "blueing wear/burn off?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!