Ballistic gelatin test results : .38 Special 135gr +P Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot

PDA

Brass Fetcher
May 6, 2007, 12:28 AM
I'm not sure how I let this one elude me - I didn't post it to THR IIRC... so here it is :

Cartridge : Speer 135gr Short Barrel Gold Dot (Load # 23921)

Firearm : .38 Special revolver with 1 7/8" barrel length

Calibration : All depths corrected (From 9.5cm @ 578 ft/sec impact velocity)

Shot 1 : Penetrated to 9.4" and expanded to 0.601"

Shot 2 : Penetrated to 10.2" and expanded to 0.605"

Shot 3 : Penetrated to 10.2" and expanded to 0.593"

Shot 4 : Penetrated to 10.0" and expanded to 0.597"

Shot 5 : Exited the side of the block at 10.0" and was not recovered.

One bullet out of five followed a straight path through the gelatin - all others curved and deviated significantly from their initial path in the block.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57629&stc=1&d=1178425517

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistic gelatin test results : .38 Special 135gr +P Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
May 6, 2007, 12:43 AM
Interesting yet again. Both flavors of Buffalo Bore 158 lead hollowpoint (+P and standard pressure) would seem to beat this by a decent margin.

But it ain't half bad. I know it's controllable, and does tight groups out of both my 38 snub and 357 full size.

One point: I notice the UNcorrected penetration is around 13" average. Stupid question maybe but...is the correction factor going to matter by that much, between any two blocks of gel?

Brass Fetcher
May 6, 2007, 12:49 AM
JM - The correction factor relates to the bullet diameter, weight, a 'shape factor' (JHP, wadcutter, FMJ - shape, etc), and the calibration BB penetration. So, they do vary from shot-to-shot (sometimes) and definately from block to block.

Looking at those depths, I believe that the penetrations were a bit conservative relative to other results that I have gotten.

Jim March
May 6, 2007, 01:03 AM
Yeah, most reports put them down as doing 11" or a hair over. And clothes sometimes delay expansion for enough fraction of a second to add an inch or two.

This is good ammo, no question.

mesinge2
March 16, 2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but instead of posting a new thread well:

I am looking for a good SD for my new Model 36 Smith and I have heard good things about speer's Short barrel ammo. I was just wondering what everyone opinion of this ammo is:

1) Its good, get it
2) pass, I have a better idea
3) or the infamous "other"

NG VI
March 16, 2010, 11:06 PM
I think it's a great load for a revolver in .38/.357, when I had a revolver I left at the house for unforseen events, back when I was married and had my house and my revolvers, I usually kept my 4" 28-2 loaded with these in case my recoil-hating wife needed it for some reason.

If I'm not mistaken they make a .357 short barrel load with a 135 grain bullet as well, probably not a huge increase in velocity over the .38+P variant of it, but any little bit helps right?

I would say that either this or a very soft 158 LSWCHP would be *the* way to go in a short revolver. I think Federal had plans to make a 125 grain HST in .38, but I don't believe they ever went ahead and did it. In a 4" .357 I generally go with the 125 Gold Dot, because I picked up a good number of them from Georgia Arms and liked them.

Remington Golden Saber should be another superb load if it's around and cheaper than this.

mesinge2
March 18, 2010, 10:45 PM
I bought 5 boxes of it. It is available on Midway USA right now if anyone wants to buy some.

I was shocked it was not on backorder like everything else!

snooperman
March 19, 2010, 07:48 AM
My choice too. I used to use the old FBI load but now like the Gold dot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistic gelatin test results : .38 Special 135gr +P Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!