Attaching a bayonet to a 91/30???

PDA

Green Lantern
May 6, 2007, 05:03 PM
When I got my Nagant from Classic Arms, it had all the 'extras' with it - ammo pouches, 2-compartment oiler, sling, tool kit in pouch, and the bayonet.

I'd like to mount the bayonet just for when I show it to friends - but I'm not sure how it fits exactly...:o

My guess is that it slides on, then twists to move it out of the way of the front sight, but when I try to put it on, it gets 'hung up' quickly and won't go any farther.

Am I doing something wrong, or could it be that the bayo that came with the rife might just be too tight?

If you enjoyed reading about "Attaching a bayonet to a 91/30???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
May 6, 2007, 05:33 PM
Many of these bayonets are ill fitting and may need a little smoothing on the rough edges. They are not designed for easy on, easy off. When a Russian infantryman put on the bayonet it more or less stays on the rifle.

Coronach
May 6, 2007, 09:03 PM
Yeah, it's supposed to be tight, but some of them are too tight.

Apparently Russian military doctrine called for the bayo to be mounted and left that way. Concession for riding around in vehicles was made in the form of the M44, with its folding bayonet. So, they're supposed to be really tight. Pretty much once the soldier got it attached, it would stay that way until the rifle was repaired, parted out, or arsenalled.

The problem comes from the fact that the Russians could be somewhat less than careful with their manufacturing tolerances, and most of these rifles and bayonets were arsenaled one or more times throughout their lifespans. Often this involves refinishing of the barrels and probably the mounting points on the bayos, further changing the clearance between the two. And, I would wager that bayonets were originally designed to fit on whatever was coming off the production line at the moment ("Comarde, bayonets too loose. Make tighter." followd by, months later, "Comrade, bayonets too tight. Make looser."), so that, as-issued, bayos and rifles fit together reasonably well. Once you rearsenal and then mate the rifle in-hand with whatever bayonet is on the top of the barrel, even that less-than-exact matching is gone. That last bit is a guess, but from what I've read about how the Sovs did things, it's probably not far off.

Mike

Green Lantern
May 7, 2007, 12:08 AM
Hmmm...so sounds like "no bayonet for me" unless I want it to stay on there, which I don't (and that's if I could even get it all the way on). Ah well. Thanks for the info!

joab
May 7, 2007, 12:12 AM
My guess is that it slides on, then twists to move it out of the way of the front sight, but when I try to put it on, it gets 'hung up' quickly and won't go any farther.I just played around with some of mine
Are you sure that the spring is fully depressing?

Coronach
May 7, 2007, 12:18 AM
You can adjust the fit with Comrade Dremel, too. Remove metal from the bayo, not the barrel!

Eightball
May 7, 2007, 01:25 AM
You can adjust the fit with Comrade Dremel, too. Remove metal from the bayo, not the barrel!What, no "custom porting" involved here? :D

Cosmoline
May 7, 2007, 01:35 AM
Maybe you got an M-91 bayonet by mistake--that would be cool.

Spiggy
May 7, 2007, 01:37 AM
;) certainly cut recoil if you had an integral muzzlebreak

before you use comrade dremel, try a dowel with sandpaper on it. I have a few mosins and each of them have its own bayonet... which refuses to go onto any other gun than it's own.

Green Lantern
May 7, 2007, 01:41 AM
I was considering sandpaper, wasn't sure if it would do the trick. I'll give it a try, and if that fails I'll call Comrade (generic) Dremel into service! :D

ArchAngelCD
May 7, 2007, 03:29 AM
Take a look here: http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/Finn-bayonets.asp

Cosmoline
May 7, 2007, 04:54 AM
Why don't you get an ID on the bayonet first before you start removing steel. Give us a picture and description of the stamps on it. The monkeys at the importers who throw the bayonet in the crate have no clue what they're doing.

Green Lantern
May 8, 2007, 12:21 AM
The ONLY marking I can find on the bayonet is what looks to be an serial number at the base of the blade "W1419." (?)

There's quite a few "dings" down below on that side, but they don't look like stamps to me. I'm guessing my bayonet has seen some rough use, or it just wasn't stamped to begin with?

BTW - the Mosin was from the Izhevsk arsenal, circa....1939, I think.

Cosmoline
May 8, 2007, 12:31 AM
I'm just suspicious if the fit is so bad you have to start drilling if it's really a 91/30 bayonet at all. They've been know to throw the wrong type in. Is it close to fitting around the whole base or a quarter inch too small?

Hoppy590
May 8, 2007, 12:52 AM
does you bayonet look like the top, or the bottem
http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/images/9130andrv.JPG

Eightball
May 8, 2007, 01:05 AM
FWIW, MINE looks like the one on the top, with the little block at the back of the blade cant as the springy thingy. REAL tight fit, I only had it on there ONCE (at the gun show, where I had to juggle a few guns, got rid of the boxes by attaching everything), and it was a PITA to get off. If I ever want it on there for picture purposes, I just hand-push it until it meets a lot of resistance, I never intend to turn it to where it clicks.

Green Lantern
May 8, 2007, 01:22 AM
Hoppy - the one on the top.

Cosmoline
May 8, 2007, 02:13 AM
Just a poor fit then.

Green Lantern
May 9, 2007, 12:38 AM
After applying some sandpaper & elbow grease, some improvement.

The first "sticking" area seemed to be where the front sight met the bayonet sides. That's better, but it still sticks when it gets to just where you would compress the spring and rotate it. But I think I can get it there with some more sanding (and more important, be able to remove it again later!) ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Attaching a bayonet to a 91/30???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!