.32 ACP in .32 S&W revolvers - Interchangable?

PDA

TooTech
May 7, 2007, 02:39 PM
Triple post - Sorry!

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 ACP in .32 S&W revolvers - Interchangable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
May 7, 2007, 05:53 PM
I don't think so.

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

The .32 ACP is a rimless case and I doubt that it would headspace properly in revolver chamber. The wheel guns made to shoot auto cartridges use clips to hold the rounds and or have chambers machined to headspace the mouth of the case.

The .38 Super is semi-rimmed and can be fired in a .357 revolver because there's enough rim to hold it in the chamber.

But you're always better off sticking with the proper ammo.

Ala Dan
May 7, 2007, 06:26 PM
I would not try it, as I think it might present problems. For example, a .32ACP
fired in the chamber of a weapon that is designed for the S&W .32 Long, or
.32 Colt New Police would require that the cartridge travel too long of a
distance, before contacting the rifling of the revolver; which at the very
least could/would result in lead shavings being flung back into your face,
not too mention other problems~! :eek: :(

Jim Watson
May 7, 2007, 07:43 PM
Can be done, has been done, kind of like shooting .38 Super in .357 Magnum.

Not truly interchangeable, something to do in a severe SHTF situation, not just for plinking because you can get .32 ACP cheaper. .32 ACP is higher pressure than .32 S&W and probably higher than .32 S&W Long. NOT something to put in an old topbreak at all.

Ron James
May 7, 2007, 07:58 PM
FWIW the .32 ACP is a semi-rimless cartridge. It does have a rim, this is why you can shoot a .32 auto in a .32 S&W. Not saying it's a good ideal, just saying like Jim, it has been done and is being done.

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 ACP in .32 S&W revolvers - Interchangable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!