.32 ACP in .32 S&W revolvers?

PDA

TooTech
May 7, 2007, 03:43 PM
In a separate post on this forum regarding a Colt revolver in .32 S&W long, someone mentioned that you can fire .32 ACP in a revolver chambered for .32 S&W long revolver.

Has anyone else done this? If so, how do the .32 ACP empties look after firing? Any worrisome bulging of the cases?

Here's the post I'm referring to:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=274936

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 ACP in .32 S&W revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
May 7, 2007, 05:20 PM
I have never seen a cartridge interchangability list that says it's okay to shoot .32 ACP in .32 S&W and S&W Long revolvers. Of course some people have done it, but there has to be a reason the ammo companies and gun companies aren't recommending it.

IIRC, the .32 ACP operates at a higher pressure than .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long. OTOH, the bullet diameter is a hair less. I had to look them up, .315 vs. .309.

John

May 7, 2007, 06:12 PM
Works fine, but sometimes the ACP will get hung up under the extractor star on a DA wheelgun. The ACP is a semi-rimmed round so it doesn't have a lot of material to hang onto. Works great in SA guns though. The bullet diameter difference is so small to be insignificant and the pressures are all very low.

JohnBT
May 7, 2007, 10:15 PM
You can shoot it in a couple of these 100+ year old break tops collecting dust around here. I sure won't.

John

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 ACP in .32 S&W revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!