Airsoft guns

PDA

TheDisturbed1
May 8, 2007, 01:42 AM
Ah... not to under-estimate the ability of firearms, but airsoft is a cheap alternative that you can shoot your budies with for fun! :D

I, have 4 airsoft guns...
an AEG AK-47, Semi-auto elec. beretta 92FS lookalike, Spring 92FS,and a Spring Walther P99

the AK gets up to 370FPS while the others are really poor (110+FPS), altho the P99 is pretty good, i tink it has over 160FPS... which still hurts like hell from bare skin :D

Anyone else compete or train with Airsoft guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Airsoft guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
theken206
May 8, 2007, 01:44 AM
more of a paintball{strictly woodsball} guy myself although I havent gone out and gotten marked up in a while.

Alot more fun IMO.

Red Dragon
May 8, 2007, 01:52 AM
I'm training all the actors while on set with airsoft guns and we are using 95% airsoft guns for the feature film we are shooting. I currently own 20 airsoft guns. I don't personally compete with them, just use them for props.

TheDisturbed1
May 8, 2007, 01:54 AM
on june 8th and 9th I plan on getting some hardcore outdoor 2-day paintball action :D

just airsoft is alot cheaper and a little less noise.. and less painful :D

Glockfan.45
May 8, 2007, 02:03 AM
I kinda hate airsoft. It sucks when doing a search for real firearms related stuff on the net, and you have to sift through page after page of airsoft crap.

TheDisturbed1
May 8, 2007, 02:19 AM
I kinda hate airsoft. It sucks when doing a search for real firearms related stuff on the net, and you have to sift through page after page of airsoft crap.

very true...
haha i've noticed that... alot

Red Dragon
May 8, 2007, 02:31 AM
I agree that running into airsoft crap when looking for actual firearm info is a major case of the king's hemorrhoids. I like 'em because they make cheap easy props when you need a lot of them, with a wholesale connection, I can get a lot for a little, and it lessens the chances of injury when an actor isn't paying attention and puts their booger hook on the bang switch when they're not supposed to.

NeoSpud
May 8, 2007, 05:03 PM
I'm an airsoft addict for sure... I used to play paintball, but the opportunity to run around and play soldier like a kid all over again just is too much to pass up. My brothers and I used to shoot copper BB guns and bottle rockets at each other, but I prefer airsoft. :D

Surprisingly, I only got into airsoft after my long-standing hobby of building air cannons led me to try making BB machineguns. I began with .177 cal guns, then moved up to airsoft. I designed a really fantastic air/CO2 powered airsoft "flame thrower" during the winter of '05 and by spring of '06 it struck me... "Why not use this in a real airsoft game???" Though it kinda breaks the airsoft mantra of using 1:1 scale replicas of REAL guns, it still looks pretty slick.

So now I run around carrying a 5lb CO2 tank on my back, shooting over a hundred bbs a second, and definitely getting my share of people asking, "What the #*&$ is that THING?" Airsoft definitely rocks.

By the way, if you check out my page you can see my "airsoft apparatus":
http://www.neospud.com/mark2/mark2.html
also, I've got some videos on YouTube if you search by my name.

zero_chances
May 8, 2007, 05:05 PM
gas blowback g19 here. metal slide and all.:)

dhoomonyou
May 8, 2007, 05:34 PM
Please give me info, I want a training / playing alternative to the range.

what is GLOCK like in trigger?

what would be a good garage or outdoor shooter?

thanks.

Shadow Shock
May 8, 2007, 05:50 PM
Swiss Arms M6 bolt action sniper
Tokyo Mauri M4A1 with all the rails you can dream of
S&W Sigma Co2 blowback pistol

zero_chances
May 8, 2007, 06:02 PM

thanks.

very few of them are actually very accurate. So if your wanting to use them for target practice and training, there may be better options, but they are a heck of a lot of fun. These thing are great for the garage and outdoors. the higher power gas guns and such will dent and possibly stick in drywall (ask me how i know :banghead: ) The trigger in my glock is very nice. It has about a quarter inch or less of i guess its called creep, then it is maybe a 1.5 pound pull to drop the sear, and no travel after that.

Glockfan.45
May 8, 2007, 08:27 PM

thanks.

I have a gas powered blowback replica of a Glock 17. The slide actually comes back with each pellet fired. The trigger is not at all like a real Glock (no saftey lever, very light pull, sloppy). The weight and feel are dead on, although the slide blowing back is suposed to simulate recoil it doesnt come close. I used it to teach my wife how to safely handle a pistol before taking her to the range with the real thing since the functions, slide action, mag release, ect are all the same. They are good for saftey training, props, or shooting in the basement (I also have a full auto M4 replica which is great for neighborhood cats and dogs I catch laying logs on my lawn :evil: ). Their value in real world combat traing is minimal at best, paintball guns are better for this.

Its a shame nobody sells those simunition paint rounds to civilians. I can understand how that could become a liability however.

The Deer Hunter
May 8, 2007, 08:52 PM
I dont understand why someone would buy a Tokyo Mauri or a Classic Army(the BMW,Mercedes,Lexus of airsoft guns) for a thousand or so dollars when they could either buy a real gun or buy a cheap one that will work just as fine.

But I guess its not my money.

I have a automatic one I payed $10 for at a tool sale, one of those mini elextric ones. Its nothing special but its a hell of alot of fun.

ABTOMAT
May 8, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'm not much of an Airsoft fan, I guess it's hard for me to understand the serious hobby surrounding what's basically a cosmetic toy. Even though I can't own a real HK G3 I have no interest in buying a fake one. And the guys who spend thousands on getting the full Green Beret kit and go crawling through the woods on weekends really blows my mind.

I'm a big fan of real airgun shooting and hunting, though.

Glockfan.45
May 8, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm not much of an Airsoft fan, I guess it's hard for me to understand the serious hobby surrounding what's basically a cosmetic toy. Even though I can't own a real HK G3 I have no interest in buying a fake one. And the guys who spend thousands on getting the full Green Beret kit and go crawling through the woods on weekends really blows my mind.

I'm a big fan of real airgun shooting and hunting, though.

I am no airsoft fan (see my first post on this thread) but the same could be said for guys that spend thousands of dollars building a tricked out AR15. Why do people who will never go crawling through jungle mud, or hump their rifle in desert sand insist on spending big bucks on "mil-spec" or "battle tested" gear, when they will be served just as well at the range by cheap knock off stuff? To each their own I guess.

P.S: My two airsoft guns are cheapies, and my AR's, and all their gear are high dollar :o .

wolf_from_wv
May 8, 2007, 09:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/wolf_from_wv/P1000236.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/wolf_from_wv/P1000235.jpg

I couldn't pass them up... Second picture top doesn't shoot projectiles, but has shells that eject...

ABTOMAT
May 8, 2007, 09:27 PM
I am no airsoft fan (see my first post on this thread) but the same could be said for guys that spend thousands of dollars building a tricked out AR15. Why do people who will never go crawling through jungle mud, or hump their rifle in desert sand insist on spending big bucks on "mil-spec" or "battle tested" gear, when they will be served just as well at the range by cheap knock off stuff? To each their own I guess.

I can't stand mall ninja types, but I can see getting carried away buying stuff for a good gun like an expensive AR-15. But doing the same thing for a toy is another. And the AR-15 guys usually just trick out the gun--a section of the airsoft fandom includes running around in ghillie suits and dud belts of grenades.

44AMP
May 8, 2007, 09:29 PM
I had children's toys......

Now that I am a man grown, I play with grownup toys.:D

Steel and wood, brass and lead, aluminium and copper, these are the toys of men (and women);)

enjoy your airsoft toys, someday you may grow up to the real thing.

NeoSpud
May 8, 2007, 10:13 PM
I dont understand why someone would buy a Tokyo Mauri or a Classic Army(the BMW,Mercedes,Lexus of airsoft guns) for a thousand or so dollars when they could either buy a real gun or buy a cheap one that will work just as fine.
A CA or TM will run you about 300 or so stock, and you don't have to trick it out to have fun. The Nashville Airsoft rentals are all stock CAs, and they're perfectly good enough to have a fun time.

enjoy your airsoft toys, someday you may grow up to the real thing.
Last time I checked it was illegal to open up on someone with a machine gun. ;)

I'll throw lead at paper, and plastic at people. No value judgments there.

By the way, I suppose from your description of what toys of men (and women) are made from, you don't much care for ARs or any polymer pistol. ;) :D

TheDisturbed1
May 8, 2007, 10:26 PM
haha NeoSpud, that monster of an airsoft gun ya got is freakin awesome!
I've seen a Glock 18c replica green gas powered, full auto pistol with the metal slide+ blowback run for about $180... and apparently it breaks down just like a Glock, too... looks sweet, but i might save up and go for the gold.

I have put holes in wood doors from the AEG AK shooting plastic bbs... took some time, but it got-r-done :D

the 6mm paintballs are crap. I had 10 come with my P99 and only 4 of them worked (others popped in the chamber or popped when fired).

Shadow Shock
May 8, 2007, 10:46 PM
Check these out. Then we'll see what you think of airsoft. These are F****** crazy! especialy the last one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Na4PLW7-oE&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7iEKvfIEU&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyd_h5nfXDA&mode=related&search=

esmith
May 8, 2007, 10:52 PM
I love airsoft. If it weren't for airsoft i wouldn't be as active in real guns as i am. I have a Classic Army m15a4. Gets up to 315 fps. Plus theres a world of difference in the cheapo guns you get at walmart compared to a high end gun, believe me. Just so you guys know, never trust the fps ratings on the box or what retailers say. Get it chrono'ed to make sure.

Plus for people who say its stupid to buy a good airsoft gun or that you should spend your money on a real gun listen to this:
1. Can you shoot people with a real gun? No
2. Its unbelievably fun to be the top of the food chain armed with a gun that puts all others to shame.
3. You can get 20-25 rounds/second on full auto, which is so much fun it should be illegal.

Shadow Shock
May 8, 2007, 10:56 PM
thats true. I have gotten guns that say "300fps with .12gr" that really shot about 170fps. On the other hand, my sniper said "400 fps with .12gr" in reality, its closer to 370 with .20gr (about 450fps with .12gr)

RecoilRob
May 8, 2007, 11:06 PM
I like my airsoft toys! The MP-5 (Airsoft Elite ICS) is comparable in feel to the '91 and '93 I owned and is an absolute hoot to rip stuff up in the backyard. And, a big plus to being able to shoot in the back yard without having the PoPo showing up. I've got a bunch of 30rnd mags and it is a lot more realistic shooting with them than the hi-cap versions and 200+ rounds. It will tear up aluminum cans and I enjoy it a bunch.

The MP-40 isn't of the same quality as the HK but cost less than half and came with battery/charger and loader. Shoots well at close range but doesn't have the power of the HK. Still, looks pretty nice and is fun to play with.

I don't crawl around playing 'Army'. These airguns are Functional Wall Art to me. They don't get hidden in the safe, but are out on the wall enhancing my 'decor'.

Shooting full auto in real life is frustrating for me. I cannot get myself to fire more than a 3-5 round burst and stay on target. With the airsoft guns, I can rip cans with long bursts and it really gives me pleasure. Great toys!

tostada
May 9, 2007, 03:36 AM
wolf_from_wv: What's that thing on the top? An airsoft break action with a red dot on mounted backwards?

TheDisturbed1
May 9, 2007, 03:56 AM
hey RecoilRob, do the MP5 and MP40 have metal receivers? they almost look plastic in the pics..

wolf_from_wv
May 9, 2007, 02:43 PM
It is a 1:1 $17 double barrel break action with a fake red dot on backwards... I need to take it off and flip it. Maybe install the rail and laser that came with it... Triggers function independently. A full stock would have been perfect.

Middle one was $10. Bottom one was $17.

SaMx
May 9, 2007, 03:17 PM
I have a cheapo airsoft spring pistol. A couple of times I've thought of getting the tokyo mauri thompson, just because I can't have the real thing. As long as we're not being serious though,

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57827&d=1178738230

CZ.22
May 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
AIRSOFT=FUN
So does paintball, though I hate speedball, woodsball is good.

SaMx
May 9, 2007, 03:32 PM
see, I like speedball. One of my favorite things to do with paintball is to play in an open field with no hoppers, loading on ball at a time.

NeoSpud
May 9, 2007, 04:23 PM
SaMx - :D

Though I'd like to see one that says, "Airsoft, because the government is scared enough without you having a real machine gun"

SamTuckerMTNMAN
May 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
My brothers and I used to shoot copper BB guns and bottle rockets at each other, but I prefer airsoft.

You gave up the bottle rockets?:D

st

CZ.22
May 9, 2007, 04:42 PM
SAMX- There's nothing really wrong with speedball, it can be fun. BUT I consider it a waist of paint and less realistic than woodsball. But it can be fun. I prefer it if you don't use inflatable bunkers. Those things just tick me off. Not that there is anything wrong with them either, but they are annoying, especially for a big guy like me.
But I suppose I like extreme rage style speedball. Close up and personal. But not that many players.
Except when that guy shot me at about fifteen feet with my friends flat-lined A5:D

Smith357
May 9, 2007, 04:58 PM
Since I live in the city and can't get out to the range as much as I would like I have quite a few air guns for practice shooting skills at home.

For pistol training I use a KWA 945c GBB Airsoft pistol, and a spring 1911 to simulate basic cover and concealment and draw techniques. I also use them to practice point shooting. Since there is only minimal recoil with GBB real follow up target acquisition training is not possible, but it's great for first shot practice.

I also use pellet rifles for practicing my offhand shooting, I have noticed all the training at home pays off at the range. My groups have become much smaller and my target acquisition is much faster.

G36-UK
May 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
Got a couple here.

Marui Benelli M3 Shorty

Modified Marui G36c with 4x scope carry handle (I'm also going to replace the stock with an endcap and fit a STANAG-compatible magwell.)

STAR AG36 (won't fit the Marui, damn battery hook gets in the way)

KSC 2005 SOCOM (got it for a Marui HK Desert Eagle)

I was eying up one of the AGM MP40s earlier.

Plink
May 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
The only thing I don't like about airsoft is the limited range and accuracy. I guess I've shot too many airguns and paintball guns and airsoft just doesn't compare. I did special order a high end full auto for a customer and we spent a lot of time playing around with it. It was a lot of fun around the shop and in the yard, but I still can't find a use for one for myself. I have a few I use as displays at gun shows to show off the features of gun cases, etc.

tegemu
May 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
None of the ranges permit Draw and Shoot on the regular range. I have an Airsoft 1911 for practice in the house.

DoubleTapDrew
May 10, 2007, 05:30 PM
Are those things realistic enough to practice drawing and firing from concealment in the garage with a replica of your carry gun (using your ccw holster)? I thought about getting a gas blowback airsoft g26 for days when I don't have the time or ammo to go to the range, plus it seems like it would be fun to play around the house with.

G36-UK
May 10, 2007, 07:19 PM
Are those things realistic enough to practice drawing and firing from concealment in the garage with a replica of your carry gun (using your ccw holster)?

Well, it's not going to leave holes in the wall (which IMHO is a definate "pro"), but I'd imagine that the recoil won't be the same, even with Green Gas.

I had one of the Hardkick Desert Eagles. Not a bad gun. I'm actually thinking of getting one of the more exotic guns, like a Tanaka SAA or the newer 8mm ".500 Hunter" revolvers.

bthest86
May 10, 2007, 07:46 PM
I've played with some airsoft a little but I'll probably never get into it. It just seems kind of lame compared to paintball and "real steal" shooting. Its pretty big in Europe where kids and adults go the whole 9 yards with uniforms, patches, webbing, tactics, helmets, and arsenals.

Unfortunately a lot of them would faint at the sight of a real firearm and I've gotten some pretty cold responses from airsofters on other forums when I tell them I own and prefer the real thing.

In the UK, GCN has picked up on it and are trying to ban airsoft (because they can be made into real guns, dontchya know?)

Can't really blame em considering where they grew up.

But anyway, IMHO, airsoft is for people who can't take the mannly sting of a paintball.:neener:

pharmer
May 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
Have a $9 USP copy. Beats the hell out of dry firing for trigger practice, no accuracy though even within 5 yds. Joe

zero_chances
May 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
deleted, double post...

zero_chances
May 10, 2007, 08:34 PM
"But anyway, IMHO, airsoft is for people who can't take the mannly sting of a paintball."

I don't know if you have played paintball before, but it usually doesnt even hurt. The only time it really got me is when i was shot in the neck at a distance of 15 feet. Plus airsoft is way cheaper, paintball gets real expensive real quick. Airsoft bb's are like 7.99 for 2,000 good quality bb's.

Dont get me wrong though, paintball is a load of fun.

White Horseradish
May 10, 2007, 10:06 PM
Fascinating. So many people take paintball over airsoft...

Well, IMO, paintball guns look goofy and operate differently enough from actual guns to be of very limited value. Airsoft, on the other hand, can be a useful training aid.

esmith
May 10, 2007, 10:14 PM
I can't stand paintball:

1. You have to constantly go out to buy gas
2. Paintballs are expensive, along with everything else.
3. Not nearly the range of an airsoft gun, at least the ones me and my friends use.
4. Most paintball players are stuck up and think they are totally amazing at everything.
5. You have to use paint to assure you were shot whereas airsoft people are actually honest.

csspecs
May 11, 2007, 01:27 AM
In the UK, GCN has picked up on it and are trying to ban airsoft (because they can be made into real guns, dontchya know?)

I worked quite a bit helping to get the exception that UK airsofters have right now.

And most of the Florida Airsoft members are NRA members after the NRA helped to save our sport last year. I don't see many paintball players out joining the NRA to keep their sport, do you?

I used to play quite a bit two years ago, and I have enough stuff for five people to play with higher end stuff and have enough magazines to go around. It was airsoft that got me started with firearms other than basic hunting shotguns.

The only way you can keep the game realistic is to use small magazines (star low caps hold 30 each and are really cheap) and to have a playing field that has a space no larger than 100 feet at any point. If you do that the game can be both fun and useful. And always remember, cheaters are more fun because you get to shoot them more :)

TheDisturbed1
May 11, 2007, 05:02 AM
And always remember, cheaters are more fun because you get to shoot them more :)

haha! so true!

especially if you have a high end gun with some power!

Hkmp5sd
May 11, 2007, 08:17 AM
Because the .gov will not let me have a real one!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Hkmp5sd/p90.jpg?t=1178885616

G36-UK
May 11, 2007, 11:58 AM
csspecs:

I worked quite a bit helping to get the exception that UK airsofters have right now.

Are you part of the ABA on Arnies?

And always remember, cheaters are more fun because you get to shoot them more

There's a mention on Airsoft Scotland that their site marshals have the gas RAM Paintball AKs, with rubber balls loaded for cheaters. I think that's the site nearest me.

possum
May 11, 2007, 03:45 PM
yeah back in the day i had a few and my brother did as well, between the two of us we had all spring ones, but we were pretty well armed, m4, mp5, berreta 92, usp, 1911, and even a shotgun. they were alot of fun and still can be.

salvador31c
May 11, 2007, 09:53 PM
I play airsoft for fun but i guess i wouldnt consider it training. These things do hurt at close range, leaving welts and marks. untill a few weeks ago we only used safety glasses but then i chipped my brother inlaws front teeth nice size too, it was real funny but when that dentist bill came it wasnt so funny

RecoilRob
May 12, 2007, 12:38 AM
After reading the questions about Airsoft accuracy potential, I decided to try to shoot a group on target for posterity.

Gamo 10M air pistol target shot rapid-fire (one shot per second) offhand @ 27 feet with the Airsoft Elite ICS MP5. I called the 8 ring shot low but the other 19 didn't do too bad for a smoothbore short-barrelled rifle.

I would opine that this Airsoft rifle has sufficient accuracy to be useful for training @ 10M.

Plus, it is a LOT of fun to shoot in the house! A stiff, double walled cardboard box filled with crumpled-up newspaper has safely contained several hundred shots and looks to be ready for many more.

The AGM MP40 isn't nearly as powerful as the AE-ICS MP5 and will not always penetrate the box. It leaves pellets in the corregation sometimes and is not as accurate as the MP5.

These guns are really fun and higher level ones are accurate enough to be useful for practice.

DoubleTapDrew
May 12, 2007, 01:16 AM
I may have to get GBB airsoft clones of the carry guns. Dry fire practice with holes :)
Is it worth it to get a gas blowback gun or one of the cheaper spring models? Obviously the blowback isn't going to simulate recoil properly but it would be nice to not have to rack the slide every shot.

PILMAN
May 12, 2007, 04:02 AM
Heres my airsoft toys, pretty realistic if you ask me.

G&P M4
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/PILMAN/My%20Guns/m4.jpg

MMC L85A1
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/PILMAN/My%20Guns/l85.jpg

FTC Galil ARM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/PILMAN/My%20Guns/P1010005.jpg

Maruzen TEC9
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/PILMAN/My%20Guns/kg9.jpg

Tokyo Marui Desert Eagle
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/PILMAN/My%20Guns/P101002120Large.jpg

KSC USP
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/PILMAN/My%20Guns/usp1.jpg

TheDisturbed1
May 12, 2007, 06:18 AM
holy crap that DE and M4 look real... I mean lack of orange paint for distinction :p

Do you play with those often?

PILMAN
May 12, 2007, 03:07 PM
holy crap that DE and M4 look real... I mean lack of orange paint for distinction

Do you play with those often?

I use the M4, the Desert Eagle is a wallhanger. A lot of the military guys here from base play airsoft, a friend of ours has 750 acres of land and we go the whole 9 yards with camo and all. Overall, it's an adrenaline rush and quite a bit of fun. It's amazing how realistic they make these things down to the trademarks. Heck even the replica USP and desert eagle strip like the real thing.

bratch
May 12, 2007, 03:21 PM
Is it worth it to get a gas blowback gun or one of the cheaper spring models? Obviously the blowback isn't going to simulate recoil properly but it would be nice to not have to rack the slide every shot..

I feel it is definatley worth getting the gas guns. With a spring operated it is one shot and cock not the best for training in my opinion. With the gas you can draw and fire multiple times while moving.

I actually just ordered a new magazine to get my 1911 airsoft up and running so I can use it again.

They also have an adaptor so you can use propane instead of green gas that is handy.

One idea I liked but haven't done was taking an IDPA/IPSC target and cutting the A zones out and putting metal in their place and hang the target on a sheet. This will give you instant audio feed back to shot placement.

Glockfan.45
May 12, 2007, 09:05 PM
One thing I have noticed with airsoft on these types of sites is people posting pics of airsoft guns trying to pass them for the real thing. What is the proper method for calling B.S on a member that wants to show off his "MP5"? There was a guy on THR a while back ago that posted pics of his new "Hk UMP" :rolleyes: . He swore up and down it was the real thing. Oh he lived in NJ BTW ;) .

G36-UK
May 12, 2007, 09:29 PM
Can't really comment on that, though it does sound a bit sad to claim an Airsoft replica as a "Real Steel" gun.

Most Airsofters don't really consider their guns to be real (at least, not in the same way), although a few I know do insist on the Four Rules* like a real gun.

Indeed, most of us in the UK are getting angry at the claims that Airsoft guns can fire live ammunition.

I can post a few pics of mine later in the week. I have some I've already posted on the "tick off the blissninnies" topic, but I think it would be better to use new pics.

DoubleTapDrew
May 12, 2007, 10:47 PM
Indeed, most of us in the UK are getting angry at the claims that Airsoft guns can fire live ammunition.

Who claims that load of horse excrement? I'd issue a public challenge to them.
"Put your money where your mouth is buddy. Convert this to fire live ammo. I expect you to fire more than one shot and YOU are going to personally be pulling the trigger. Make sure your health insurance is paid up."

Mad Chemist
May 12, 2007, 10:52 PM
I have a Glock gas gun as a training adjunct to the real one. It fits my holster and is accurate. It's nice to be able to practice rapid draw-and-fire weapon presentation without worrying about busting a cap into my own a$$.:eek:

The quality gas guns will break the skin a point blank range; so if your going FOF with them, long sleeves and face shields are a must.

Evil Monkey
May 12, 2007, 11:11 PM
Hey PILMAN!

I bet that TEC9 Airsoft is a piece of crap too! Just like the real one! :D :D :D

(Not meaning to bash you or your purchase, just bashing a crappy weapon.)

White Horseradish
May 12, 2007, 11:18 PM
My major complaint about airsoft is that there is no airsoft XD.

PILMAN
May 13, 2007, 12:12 AM
Hey PILMAN!

I bet that TEC9 Airsoft is a piece of crap too! Just like the real one!

Actually it feels like it's better built than the real thing funny to say :-D

DoubleTapDrew
May 13, 2007, 01:02 AM
Actually it feels like it's better built than the real thing funny to say :-D
Well without 9mm brass to smokestack it should be more reliable :neener:

TheDisturbed1
May 13, 2007, 05:20 AM
haha i'm amazed of how long this thread has lasted :D

with that said, i will give y'all some grainy pics of my BB arsenal
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/disturbed001/AK47_1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/disturbed001/92FS_1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/disturbed001/Arsenal2.jpg
the AR-15 BB rifle was REALLY cheap and i burned out the motor :D
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/disturbed001/AR-15_1.jpg

akodo
May 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
A CA or TM will run you about 300 or so stock, and you don't have to trick it out to have fun.

this was said in response to the comment of 'use your money to buy a real gun'

are you saying that a gun is only 'fun' if you hang a bunch of gadgets off of it? Seems to me this is the perfect amout to aquire a makarov or something, no accessories needed, and go out and shoot.

Yes, you can shoot airsoft guns at people. You can also shoot real guns unloaded at people :what:

because airsoft replicas are so close to real guns, how do you know the difference?

I would be VERY uncomfortable with anyone shooting me with an airsoft gun, even if I just examined it to make sure it was really airsoft, just like I would be VERY uncomfortable with someone pointing an unloaded gun at me, even if I just verified for myself it was unloaded.

there is a reason when you make a 'training gun' out of a real gun, that once you disable the real gun so it can never fire, you then mark it very distinctively (paint it red, yellow, orange, whatever)

That's the one hangup I have against these guys making different color plastics for guns, I wish we had one reserved and never used on real guns that would always symbolize 'training gun! not real!'

Of course, criminals could always take their hi-points and put orange tips on them or paint the whole thing orange and i would think toy/training gun and be dead wrong, but then they could make it look like a camcorder too.

But objectst that look exactly like real guns that get pointed at me? Well, I won't even go there

Red Dragon
May 13, 2007, 08:59 PM
Since everyone is posting their current airsoft collections, here is my selection of prop guns (all airsoft except for one M4 that is a solid plastic dummy rifle, and one bb pistol.)

http://f9g.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_19687011/9813/__hr_/8109.jpg?grY2.RGBX.qZrg35

NeoSpud
May 13, 2007, 10:24 PM
this was said in response to the comment of 'use your money to buy a real gun'

are you saying that a gun is only 'fun' if you hang a bunch of gadgets off of it?
No, just the opposite. My remark was intended to mean that you don't need to spend 1k on an airsoft gun to have fun, but rather just buy a stock AEG.

Yes, you can shoot airsoft guns at people. You can also shoot real guns unloaded at people
If it's unloaded, how can it shoot? ;)

because airsoft replicas are so close to real guns, how do you know the difference?
Probabilities, pretty much.
If you're playing airsoft with a group of friends or at an airsoft field, you can pretty much 100% bet that when you shoot or get shot at, plastic BBs are going to fire out of your and their guns.

I would be VERY uncomfortable with anyone shooting me with an airsoft gun, even if I just examined it to make sure it was really airsoft, just like I would be VERY uncomfortable with someone pointing an unloaded gun at me, even if I just verified for myself it was unloaded.

...then don't play airsoft? I don't like people pointing airsoft guns at me (because then I tend to get shot, which stings), and as a lifetime gun owner I get downright upset if someone intentionally points a firearm at me (even if they "know its unloaded")

I'm not suggesting that having an airsoft gun gives you the right to randomly approach people and shoot them "because its not really real." Only a total fool (and sadly, more and more kids these days seem to meet this qualification) would actually believe that it is acceptable to scare random people like that. Airsoft should be played at fields or other designated-OK locations with other players, wearing proper safety equipment.

Hkmp5sd
May 14, 2007, 02:53 AM

Then you'd really HATE going through any firearms training using Simunitions. :)

RangerVA
May 14, 2007, 12:19 PM
I have a cheap springer that I shoot in the basement lots of fun!

I have a question for folks that play paintball style games though. Do you police the playing field to pickup the airsoft bbs? Paintballs are bio-degradable and will dissipate with time, Airsoft however is plastic and will stay forever.

Boats
May 14, 2007, 12:55 PM
I see little "training benefit" in buying an airsoft that only mimics the real thing in the looks department.

One Tokyo Marui M-16 style "rifle" will set one back over $300.00 brand new. That is my range fees for the year or nearly a case and one half of 5.56. All I would lose is the ability to fire full auto BBs.

Having a full "arsenal" of such toys, underscores the "can't buy a real gun" stereotype.

Shooting one's friends might be exciting, but the ranges are too short to be of any real training benefit with a supposed rifle.

SaMx
May 14, 2007, 01:33 PM
a friend of mine wants to skirmish, so we are picking up a couple of spring shotguns that I've heard good things about.

RangerVA, they make biodegradable bbs. I think they are made out of cornstarch or rice flour. They melt after a few months. I think they only come in .2 and .25 gram weights though.

NCLivingBrit
May 14, 2007, 01:49 PM
Airsofts are fun for the same reason paintball guns are fun: You get to run around the woods/building site/fake paintball town and shoot your friends in the ass without going to jail.

I used to be part of one of the "dress up and shoot each other" airsoft groups back in the UK http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/index.html and it's fun to dress up in surplus camo and run around with a toy machinegun playing soldier. It stayed fun until I had to leave town and part company with my fellow idjits.

And one big advantage of softies is the weight. My standard battle loadout was two MP5KPDW's (too many John Woo movies), a Beretta 93R, a Glock 18C (extended mag), an FR/H&K MC51 with a red dot, whatever other pistols I had running at the time (usually two or three more) and a little Colt .25 on a lanyard around my neck for when I got captured. I excelled at the Bruce Willis DropGrab Reload and had a whale of a time.

Serious? No. Fun? Hell yes.

G36-UK
May 14, 2007, 04:19 PM
Most of the people over here go for American "loadouts", mainly due to the variety of Armalites available. In one of the now-dead UK magazines, I've seen both Task Force 121 and SEAL Team 8-themed outfits.

The people I talk to who do this wear similar markings, but don't go as far as using the official insignia of the forces, as they feel that would "cheapen" the men and women they choose to emulate (according to those I talk to, you should only use real insignias if you've actually been a member of said force*).

Who claims that load of horse excrement?
As I recall, it was the Gun Control Network, followed closely by Mothers Against Guns, who made the claim. MAG stated that their leader's son was shot by a modified replica/Airgun**, which they use to justify banning all replicas (something that IMO, cannot be justifed in any way).

*Mind you, any of the SG-teams from Stargate SG-1 are considered fair game, if you can find the right gear.
**The actual "sort" of gun changes, depending on what innocent group they're targeting for hate speech that week. It was found out not long ago that the actual gun was an illegal blank firer, made illegal due to the fact that it actually was capable of being converted.

Dixie_Amazon
May 14, 2007, 05:09 PM
I have a question for folks that play paintball style games though. Do you police the playing field to pickup the airsoft bbs? Paintballs are bio-degradable and will dissipate with time, Airsoft however is plastic and will stay forever.Biodegradable airsoft beebees are available.

http://www.airsplat.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={3B9EVERESTD899C-69D4-4C86-9180-9A6144A125AE}&ic=B2%2D5000%2DBIO&eq=&Tp=

May 14, 2007, 09:28 PM
I just got my cheap HFC spring P226 in the mail today. Couldn't say that it's the best for any sort of serious training, but for idle dryfire and grip practice in front of the computer having a few beers, it's certainly preferable to using a real pistol for any number of obvious reasons.

Speaking of dryfiring, does anyone know if full-on cocked dryfiring will damage the pistol? I can thumb-cock the hammer and the trigger just drops it without using the spring propulsion mechanism, but when truly cocked by racking the slide, the spring is released when the pistol is fired. For the price I paid for it, I don't really care - I just wanted something to mess around with sight picture, grip, and trigger finger control with, and I suspect this will do that just fine even if broken, but I'd like to know. Plus, the sights and trigger are better than my real P6. :rolleyes:

Red Dragon
May 14, 2007, 10:28 PM
dryfiring a spring airsoft pistol won't damage it.

Red Dragon
May 14, 2007, 10:39 PM
Having a full "arsenal" of such toys, underscores the "can't buy a real gun" stereotype.

I own several real guns and shoot when I can, which, on a personal note is nowhere near enough. Damn unemployment.

My "arsenal", as I said before, is primarily used as movie props. Also, I shoot at the little sticky target from time to time just to keep up with sight picture and draw and fire practice.
I found them to be decent training aids as far as proper grip, sight picture, and firing stances when I took the lead actors to the range. It helped get them ready in the range classroom before going on to the firing line with the live weapons.

May 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, Red Dragon, appreciated. :)

TheDisturbed1
May 15, 2007, 01:15 AM
Yea, all the airsoft guns ive seen/used had air compression to propel the BB's...

Dry firing just blows out air ;)

68'chevelle
May 15, 2007, 10:46 AM
I have a AEG M4 w/ M203 I had it since I was 15 still works like a charm,
I play woodsball that reminds me I need to stock up and play somtime soon.

SaMx
May 15, 2007, 12:09 PM
I was looking at a few airsoft sites to get information on good guns for my friend and myself. One thing I do a lot when I'm getting something that's part of a hobby I'm not involved in is find a forum that discusses the hobby and search to see what people are saying. Something I noticed at a lot of airsoft forums is the horrible spelling and grammar. It seems like everyone there is 14 half the time. One thing that bothers me is I keep seeing "real steal" to refer to real guns. Is this misspelling of steel a "thing" or is just that the majority of people there can't spell? I mean, the people who are obviously kids do it, but I've seen moderators and people who seem very experienced do it all the time too.

gunNoob
May 15, 2007, 12:31 PM
Idk how I feel about it. It looks fun but then again I don't really like the fact that all the guns are lookalikes of real guns.

Red Dragon
May 15, 2007, 05:05 PM
Something I noticed at a lot of airsoft forums is the horrible spelling and grammar. It seems like everyone there is 14 half the time. One thing that bothers me is I keep seeing "real steal" to refer to real guns. Is this misspelling of steel a "thing" or is just that the majority of people there can't spell?

One thing I have noticed more and more is that internet forums and chat pages have caused a major degradation of the english language. People end up typing so fast just to get their message out that they neglect spelling and grammar. Fortunately, this is rarely seen on THR, a safe haven for those who still remember the difference between there, they're, and their.

I could be wrong though. I don't really go to the airsoft forums for that main reason. For all I know, it could have become their own phrase similar to the "pwned" thing in the multiplayer community.

If you enjoyed reading about "Airsoft guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!