Slug fired through wall injures woman

PDA

TheDisturbed1
May 8, 2007, 04:18 AM
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP,May 7,2007) - Anchorage police say a 22-year-old woman is lucky to be alive after she was hit by a shotgun slug.

Police say the slug was fired through the wall of a Midtown home on Saturday night and struck Leah Sample in the front of her body.

But Sergeant Glen Daily says the slug traveled around the rib cage and missed her heart and lungs.

Police spokeswoman Anita Shell says 32-year-old John Molinaro has been charged with one count of first-degree assault and four counts of third-degree assault in the incident.

Police say the shooting was part of what's been an ongoing feud.

Molinaro on Saturday was in a fight and beaten.

He is accused of getting a shotgun from his home and firing two rounds into a home across the street from his home.

Daily says the first round was bird shot that caused little damage.

Molinaro was taken into custody by police at his home after the shooting.

(Anchorage Daily News)
http://www.webcenter11.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=cf8a215a-6c5c-4bd4-b774-e4bd8e385de1

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug fired through wall injures woman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
May 8, 2007, 08:42 AM
I know it doesn't matter, but any word on why?:confused:

I know they get drunk up there and take out their frustrations with the misery of their lives by shooting in all directions. Heck, we've had it here where a hilljack had a bad day at work and emptied a SKS into a wall, and hit his 3 year old in the forehead. Or worse, we had a guy from Alaska blow up his house after a bad day at work.

Never understood why these guys couldn't just go for a run or hit the heavy bag, or just stay in school.:scrutiny:

30 cal slob
May 8, 2007, 09:42 AM
Heck, we've had it here where a hilljack had a bad day at work and emptied a SKS into a wall, and hit his 3 year old in the forehead.

I'm afraid to ask.

What happened to the 3 year old who got hit in the forehead with a 7.62 x 39 round that went through a wall?

:(

El Tejon
May 8, 2007, 10:37 AM
You are right, you don't want to ask.

As a LEO I saw a lot of people die and by a lot of different ways, but those photos always made me the most angry.:(

Such a stupid preventable waste. All he had to do was go for a run or jump rope. More the better he should have stayed in school so he would not have had such a lousy job. Small brains, a grade school education and a tiny ego, plus large helpings of John Barleycorn and firearms do not equal a happy situation.

ArfinGreebly
May 8, 2007, 06:14 PM
Once again we have top notch reportage.
Molinaro on Saturday was in a fight and beaten.
And . . . ?

What, pray tell, has this to do with the house across the street?

And, as usual, no hint of what gauge shotgun was used.

49north
May 9, 2007, 12:30 AM
People are basically stupid, we can't change nature. As to reporting skills, most in that "profession" are about as well paid as century arms employees.

NomadLucy
August 14, 2012, 01:13 AM
I saw everything that happened that night (I personally was taken to the station for questioning). And yes, the reporters are bad!! They actually referred to this as a "Hatfield McCoy" type of situation, when it was peaceful people living across the street from drug dealers.

Back story: The neighbors were dealing crack on a regular basis (I can't tell you how many times I was awaken at 3AM by a hooker screaming at the drug dealer). The cops were no help - no matter how many times we called they did nothing. The cops were even supplied with video evidence, and time logs. They assigned a "detective" to the case that did nothing to get them out of what was a great neighborhood.

The night before this: The non-emergency number was called to inform the police that Molinaro was having a birthday party the next day, and that there would be children at the house. They were asked to keep an eye on the crack dealers because nobody wanted a problem during a birthday party that would have young children around.

The night of the shooting: A crack user approached Molinaro and his three friends who were outside chatting. A fight ensued, and the crack head was beaten up (and beaten down the street - I heard him screaming for his mother). Molinaro was not "in a fight and beaten" - he did the beating. As the 4 assailants walked back to the house, the crack dealer came out with a gun and said he would "kill everyone one of you", which prompted Molinaro to get his gun which was a 12 gauge. Typically this gun was used for bear protection, so it was loaded as follows: buck shot, buck shot, slug.

As for the "victim" in this story, and I use that loosely as she was a crack head, she was hit with a buck shot which traveled around her rib cage and into her back. She made a full and quick recovery and her parents dragged her home to Pennsylvania.

As a follow up: Last I knew the crack heads were still dealing out of the house. Molinaro plead guilty to lesser charges. Here's a link to his court record for the case:

http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/eservices/casedetail.page.6?x=marxps9tjHHMbpjsNgcHdhUUCaOII1sGyPr8fh5R4qc

Hope that clears things up a bit.

coloradokevin
August 14, 2012, 02:33 AM
Honestly, I think this incident has little relevance to the gun issues we typically discuss on this forum. The incident may have involved a gun, but that doesn't really make it gun related. Rather, it is simply a minor local news story about violent criminal behavior, which has little or nothing to do with law-abiding gun owners.

I think the article would have more discussion value if it was speaking of an incident where a negligent discharge or errant round had caused this woman's injuries. As it stands right now, it's just another story of assaultive behavior.

NomadLucy,

This is a FIVE YEAR OLD thread you just revived, and your first and only post on this forum only tells me that the suspect you know pleaded guilty to a crime in relation to this incident. I looked through the court records on this incident (per your link) and I see that your friend is now a convicted felon. Sorry, but if he was so innocent he should have fought these charges. He took a plea to avoid going to prison on a 1st degree assault case. He's now prohibited from owning weapons for life, and his behavior probably didn't help the situation for honest and law-abiding gun owners like the folks you'll find around here. Also, this incident was listed in the court records as being domestic violence related, so there is perhaps something that is being left out of this story.

By the way, your friend also received a 3 year sentence (which appears deferred if I'm reading this correctly), and 5 years of probation. That was AFTER his plea. Doesn't sound so innocent to me, at least not without further evidence to the contrary. He had his day in court, and that was the outcome. It also appears that this wasn't his first day in court (priors for DUI, destruction of property, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor -- or some such charge).

The Man With No Name
August 14, 2012, 02:52 AM
Nomad, from your account I'm wondering why he went in, got his shotgun, and then came back outside with it when he was threatened by the crack dealer instead of going in, getting his shotgun in case he needed it for protection, and then calling the police? I agree with the poster above that most who post here are law abiding and responsible gun owners. I think most wouldn't try to escalate the situation that is presented here. I've got neighbors myself that hate me. If they threaten me I'm not going outside to get in a gun battle with them though. I am a police officer and still am not looking to get in a gun battle off duty when things can possibly be settled a different way. This thread seems to just serve as an example of irresponsible human beings living as neighbors none of which need to own guns.

MedWheeler
August 14, 2012, 06:07 AM
By today's standard, this thread would likely have been closed as nothing more than a "news story", anyway. The rules were a little more forgiving back then, I guess.
But, yeah, worth noting that a shotgun pellet can penetrate walls; a reminder for those of us keeping shotguns for home defense.

Walkalong
August 14, 2012, 07:14 AM
Old news at that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug fired through wall injures woman" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!