Deer hit by car

PDA

Glock22
May 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
So today I had surgery and on the way home from the hospital we saw some cars slow down in front of us and my dad says to me, "i bet some deer just crossed the street". And sure enough a car coming from the opposite direction is going pretty fast and another deer comes out of the ditch they try to slam on their breaks but they still hit the deer pretty good and the deer comes and hits our car too after hitting theres.

After this the deer gets up and runs over to the side of the road, my dad and are disappointed to see it survived and is now suffering. I say this is why we should keep a gun in the trunk. We call the police and the women who hit the deer does as well and another guy stops and calls them as well. So we waited until the police came with the women who hit the deer. They take forever to get there and the first thing he does is take out his sidearm and shoot the deer in the head which is good because before this the deer was flopping around and trying to get up out of the ditch. So that was all unfortunate. Just wanted to share the story.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer hit by car" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nomad, 2nd
May 8, 2007, 07:19 PM
Who took it home?

ArfinGreebly
May 8, 2007, 07:20 PM
Which town/highway was this?

I know that a little farther North (Sandpoint and thereabouts) when they get a deer or elk knocked down, it goes to charity. Normally they don't stay on the roadside more than a couple of hours.

rhubarb
May 8, 2007, 07:55 PM
Once my brother came home covered in blood. He'd hit a four point buck and it landed on the side of the road dead. When he started to cut its throat to bleed it out, it tried to jump up. He said he had to jump on and grab it by the antlers to finish the job.

Yeah, that's why I carry a gun. Just in case I hit a deer.:D

Trip20
May 8, 2007, 08:01 PM
There are dead deer all over the side of the road up here in my area. That's why they got us shootin' does before we can take a buck in many zones. And they sell additional doe tags for $2 a pop!

My freezers are well stocked. :evil:

Poor quality photo from cell phone of 350lbs of venison sausage made this past season:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g317/trip2077/12-16-06_1352.jpg

In before the lock!

eliphalet
May 8, 2007, 08:04 PM
It is illegal to take home road kill game animals in Idaho.

pcosmar
May 8, 2007, 08:07 PM
They are thick around here. Not enough have been harvested.
I have seen 2 dead on the road within 5 miles of home.
I missed 2 nite before last. I watch for them.
At least one has crossed my driveway, saw the tracks.

Hanzerik
May 8, 2007, 08:09 PM
The first part sounds like what happened to my wife. She was driving on Fort Dix one night and a car coming the other way clipped a deer. The deer bounced of the other car and hit my wife’s car. Well the deer decided to take a breather along the side of the road. It was laying there with a group of solders getting a close look, and my wife tells them that it is still alive. They get closer and closer until A few moments later the deer decides it too much and jumps up and runs back into the road and gets nailed squarely by a third car. Three Strikes and your out.

yomama
May 8, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hey, same thing happened when I was a kid. Deputy shot it in the head with a .357. He let us take it home though.

ilbob
May 8, 2007, 08:21 PM
The former sheriff of the county I live in used to send squad cars out to pickup road kill deer for his annual political fund raising dinner.

He got into some legal trouble when found hunting without a license and retired a few years ago.

EAFO
May 8, 2007, 08:29 PM
You're lucky you're both ok. Normally when people hit a deer, the deer gets up and walks away while the drivers car is totaled. I know quite a few people from when I lived in upstate NY who had to get new cars after hitting a deer that survived.

Chad
May 8, 2007, 08:34 PM
They are everywhere I drive in Florida these days.
So much so that all my before sunrise travelling is causing me eyestrain because I have to always watch for them.

SOP for me is to end their suffering and drive on.
I don't want to waste my time with the officials.

carry24-7
May 8, 2007, 08:54 PM
yah everytime i hear someone complain about hunters, i ask them if they ever had their $20,000+ car totaled buy a deer. some have thought about it for a second, and then kinda agree..... i had a 76 chevelle malibu pretty well totaled by a small one. in ohio, we have lots of deer big ones too! i think they need to just cross in the designated deer crossing zones that we provide for them.

Sunray
May 8, 2007, 09:02 PM
There are so many road kills up here, in Southwestern Ontario, that the insurance companies are paying out millions in claims. If you hit one, you have to report it to the Natural Resources people, but you get to keep it. However, you can't shoot it and neither can our cops. A little compensation for wrecking your vehicle.

czhen
May 8, 2007, 09:07 PM
Two years ago, leaving Washington D.C. we almost hit one that came up from I don't know. My wife was driving at this time, me on maps when she hit the brakes I saw a deer crossing our way. I consider we were very lucky. Beside the scary moments nobody hurts.

CZhen
Fl

AK103K
May 8, 2007, 09:09 PM
Maybe if they kept score like this boy, people would pay more attention. I took this pic a couple of years ago down the road from my old house. That score was over about a years time.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid146/pa7cb090c33b718e4e1e25f13a6ac55a5/f64928b8.jpg

Eagle103
May 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
I read a while ago that the deadliest animal in the U.S. isn't snakes, alligators, etc. but our good friend bambi. There are far too many of them around here. You might call them overgrown rats. I also have a cousin who suffers from initially undiagnosed Lyme disease. It's basically made him into a cripple and he isn't even 50 yet. :(

cbsbyte
May 8, 2007, 10:59 PM
A lot of deer run hits in New England because of a huge deer population boom. Driving at night I am bound to see several deer, some can get pretty big. In Massachusetts, putting down a wounded animal, after a car accident on public roads can only be done by a State game warden. Under state law the Police are not allowed put down animal unless it is in a life and death situation. Though in rural areas at nigh the rules are not always followed. In a populated area, the Police rarely will try to put it down. Since at night it can take awhile for a Warden to arrive especially in rural locations, everyone stands around the dying creature, waiting for its last breaths so they can drag the carcass off the road. Its actually pretty sad to see people waiting for the death of creature that is slowly dieing in pain. BTW, Only the driver who hit the deer can keep the carcass, and only if they are a state resident. Otherwise the body is disposed of by the game warden or State Highway depart.

MilsurpShooter
May 9, 2007, 08:17 AM
Slow the bullet down to 55 m.p.h., put some headlights and little horn on it, the deer will actually jump in front of it - Ron White

Seriously though, glad you're ok, seen some major accidents on the Taconic Parkway here. Any given time of night I'll pass more then 10-15 deer grazing along the side... all seem to disappear when I've got my hunting rifle with me though during the fall

CajunBass
May 9, 2007, 08:39 AM
Bahhhh... Hitting a deer with a car is one thing. Wait 'till you have dodge them rascals on a motorcycle. :what: I've never hit one, but I've sure had my share of "close ones." (I saw six on the way in to work this morning.)

I don't know about where I live now, but the county I used to live would put your name on a list. If the person who hit the deer didn't want it, they'd start calling until someone wanted to come get it.

Trip20
May 9, 2007, 09:01 AM
Wait 'till you have dodge them rascals on a motorcycle.

Yep. Last summer, my buddy totalled his '06 Street Bob. He and his passenger were OK, sans some road rash, bumps and bruises... but the bike was thrashed. The deer expired before cops arrived on scene.

While I love to ride... I get all sorts of paranoid riding county highways at night in Wisconsin. I try to get it back into town by dark if possible.

fineredmist
May 9, 2007, 09:03 AM
GLOCK 22,

I would really think twice about shooting a deer that was hit but not killed. In some places you could be charged with hunting out of season or some other bs. It can happen and you don't want to explain your good intentions to a Liberal, anti hunting and anti gun judge.

ChrisMG
May 9, 2007, 09:11 AM
There are WAY too many deer in northern WI. I think we're still suffering from the CWD scare thanks to our citizen-friendly DNR department (BTW, if you think Police have too much power they are NOTHING compared to the DNR) because people just aren't getting out there and cleaning things up.

Fish Miner
May 9, 2007, 09:48 AM
Growing up in Maine, we had a stream that formed a border of our property- Other side of our property was corn for the dairy farm. Across the highway in front of our property (highway in rural Maine is not really a highway as I know it now- God bless I-4:evil: ) was a game santuary- no hunting. Well in one year we had 7 deer strikes right by our house from the deer crossing the road. all but I think 2 died right there, one big buck got into our woods and the cops came and asked my dad to help out- They shot him and we got the deer. My dad joked it was his biggest ever.

meef
May 9, 2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah....

A few years back I hit a deer. Kinda tumbled him into the ditch, but he didn't appear to be hurt. Got up, shook his head and glared at me like, "Watch where you're going, you dumb bas***d". Then he walked off muttering under his breath - something about drivers who shouldn't be allowed on the road, no doubt.

Now my car was another story. It just sat there all dented and demolished looking. Barely idling and sputtering, unable to get back up to a steady and smooth rpm.

We sat around wringing our hands, not knowing quite what to do. Fortunately a deputy drove up and shot it in the heads with a .357.

I sure do miss that car. Sometimes life's just not fair.

:(

frostbiker
May 9, 2007, 10:14 AM
A family friend struck and killed a deer several years ago on his way to Odessa. His car was totalled out and he was standing there on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck to arrive when a rancher pulled up alongside him. The rancher asked if our friend wanted to butcher the deer. He said no and before you know it, the rancher was out with a pocket knife gutting and quartering the deer.

Browns Fan
May 9, 2007, 12:30 PM
Quote:
"yah everytime i hear someone complain about hunters, i ask them if they ever had their $20,000+ car totaled buy a deer. some have thought about it for a second, and then kinda agree..... i had a 76 chevelle malibu pretty well totaled by a small one. in ohio, we have lots of deer big ones too! i think they need to just cross in the designated deer crossing zones that we provide for them."

A week and a half ago, I drove up to Cleveland, and as soon as I crossed the Ohio River I noticed a lot of deer road kill. On the way back down I counted 8 of them between Cleveland and Marietta. You guys need to open up that deer season some! Down here you only see that during the rut.

Randy in Arizona
May 9, 2007, 07:11 PM
SOP for me is to end their suffering and drive on.
I don't want to waste my time with the officials.

You need to hang around and end the officials suffering! It is the humane thing to do!:evil: ;)

Chad
May 9, 2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Randy in Arizona
You need to hang around and end the officials suffering! It is the humane thing to do! :evil: ;)
Now that's just evil, tempting me like that!

Satisfying bureaucrat-bashing aside, I need to qualify that by saying that every encounter I have ever had with game&fish or forestry officers in the field in Florida has only further raised my level of respect for the folks that do the actual work in those departments.

Their bosses and administrators however...

sadhvacman
May 9, 2007, 08:44 PM
I have a friend who was nearly killed when a deer came through his windshield. It decapitated the deer. It took him months to recover. He couldn't form sentences for weeks. It was a terrible ordeal for him and his family.
Hunting helps control deer populations. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

buck460XVR
May 9, 2007, 09:47 PM
yep, deer/vehicle collisions have skyrocketed here in Wisconsin the last few years. Not only is it due to increase in numbers, but because of widespread recreational feeding in close proximity to major roads and the transition by deer to urban areas(where food is plenty and hunting is banned). Altho it is illegal to put an injured animal down without prior permission from the proper authorities, the carcass can be taken legally by anyone who wants it, as long as they get a proper tag. Most county and state troopers carry plenty.

target1911
May 10, 2007, 12:20 AM
2 yrs ago, in late summer, a couple of friends and i are scouting our lease and doing the normal things to get ready for season. At about 11 that night we go to town. On the way we see a young buck that had been hit but alive. We had left our guns back at camp so we decided to pick'em up on the way back. Went on to town, then bout an hr or 2 later go back to camp. Buck is still there, we load em up, take off, 100 yards down the road we hit another deer, but it ran off. Get back to camp. We look the deer over and the only prob with him we can find is a badly broken leg. Compound fracture only held on by skin. Well, by now we are pretty drunk and dont have the heart to shoot'em. So i cut off the lower part of the leg....REMEMBER..only held on by a small part of skin....we leave'em be....in our camp. He stayed around for another 2 hrs. THEN I decide to walk up to'em and take a look at his leg....He jumped up and ran about 20 yards, stoped, turned around and watch us for 15-20 min and bouced of into the darkness.
He has been seen several times since then and tuned out to be a nice buck.

skinnyguy
May 10, 2007, 02:32 AM
July 4th weekend, 2 years ago, I was on my way home from visiting my parents on the Utah/Wyoming line. About 40 miles east of Salt Lake, I glanced down at the radio to change stations, and looked back up. There in my headlights is the rear end of an elk. I'm in my Ranger pickup doing 60 and looking up at the belly of the thing. I swerved hard and missed it by hairs, not inches, THEN had to get my truck back under control and not hit the concrete barrier. Everything came turned out ok, but when I got home, I just threw those jockey shorts away.

Had I hit it, with the size of the thing, it would have slid across my hood, through my windshield and most likely would have cancelled my subscription to Life.

MilsurpShooter
May 10, 2007, 08:29 AM
http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/durango.asp

Wonder how far I'd get trying to extend the hunting period stating "safety" issues? :D

Steve 48
May 10, 2007, 09:57 AM
There are so many dead deer in my county, that you just don't drive early in the morning and at dusk. The land is all leased up to the Outfitters so the locals can't thin the deer population out. Maybe we should be sending the repair bills to the landowners and outfitters. Steve48

JWarren
May 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
Hitting deer seems to be a hobby of mine.

I've got a couple good stories.

Back in college, I used to teach martial arts classes for my instructor. Often, we would chat after class and we did this night. It got late, so I decided to just wear my Gi home and change when I got a shower.

I can't remember the holiday, but it was a long weekend-- so I was going straight to my parents home for a visit after martial arts classes. After an hour driving, and 1 mile from my parents' house, I hit a deer at the exact stroke of midnight.

It crushed in my front driver's side fender, broke my windshield, and made it difficult to open my door. Annoyed, I put on my hazard lights, got out, and went looking for the deer in the deep ditch. As I feared, the deer was still alive and hurting badly. I went to the car and got a Colt Peacekeeper .357 Magnum to end its suffering.

I shot the deer and (sorry for being gory) the blood literally splattered my entire upper torso. I had blood all over my face, and all over my white Karate Gi. So... I am walking out of the ditch, wearing some strange looking white outfit, with blood all over it and me, and carrying a revolver.

You would know that this would be the exact moment that a concerned motorist was pulling up to help me. Seeing my strange appearance, they literally burned rubber getting back on the road and driving off. I don't think I blame them.

A few minutes later, a few good-ole-boys in a truck pulled in. They asked what happened, and I told them. They didn't seem at all concerned at how I looked. They just asked what I was going to do with the deer. I told them that I didn't feel like doing anything with it that late at night, and said they could have it. Because I was already bloody, I told them I'd load it in thier truck for them (which I did). I figure that if these guys were concerned at my appearance while pulling up, they had more firearms at arms reach then I did.

I still get a kick out of wondering what that first car's passengers were thinking as they pulled off. :)

Next story is less entertaining, but does have one significant element.

I hit a deer on my way to go out with some friends a few years ago. After realizing that the deer was alive still, I was about to go into the ditch with a light and shoot it. Then I realized that there were two houses close by. Both had lights on in the houses. I started thinking about what was about to happen if they saw a flashlight moving around outside thier houses, and then heard gunshots.

I decided it was a good idea to go and knock on one house's door. I explained to the homeowner what was going on, and he called the other neighbor. For all I know, I may have saved my own life by that effort.

-- John

MrDig
May 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
About four years ago I was on the way home from work and drove by a pair of LEOs, one with his service pistol still smoking, and one wrecked car and one dead deer. When I asked if I could take it home the gave me a tag and told me to have at it.
So far it is the biggest buck I never shot.:D

sadhvacman
May 10, 2007, 08:02 PM
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to call bs on the loading a live buck in the truck. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that happening.

351 WINCHESTER
May 10, 2007, 08:43 PM
I have a friend that used to go elk hunting in Colorado every year. He only got one elk though. Seems the elk lost his footing and fell down a mountain and landed on the road in front of his vehicle. Dead as a doornail.

bclark1
May 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
i clipped one once, in the suburbs of all places. forest preserve to the south, so that's what i watch when i drive this road. i guess bambi was grabbing a whopper, because out of the GD burger king parking lot to the north in this strip mall comes a flash of brown and then crack. deer spins out a little but stays on its feet and heads for the woods. takes out a headlight on the car. for the damage i'd have really liked some off-season meat. oh well.

obxned
May 10, 2007, 09:45 PM
I think the road kills should be left by the side of the road. It might make a few people be a bit more cautious.

JWarren
May 10, 2007, 09:52 PM
I think the road kills should be left by the side of the road. It might make a few people be a bit more cautious.

It won't be there long, regardless. Buzzards will take care of it in no time.

Personally, I don't think hitting a deer is indicitive of not being cautious. I watch for them constantly, and if they decide to bolt into the road, it's gonna happen in most cases.

Still, a reminder to be safe in general is never bad.

-- John

bclark1
May 10, 2007, 10:44 PM
+1 on the above post, as I said, my eyes were open, I'm as cautious as can be. I (used to) spend enough time and still know plenty of people in places in WI where the deer population densities are ridiculous, and they are even more cautious than me. Car strikes will happen. Leaving them there might draw more scavenger animals for people to swerve around, and it's a waste. I had a friend who was a very competent rural driver flip his car (note, car, not truck/SUV) trying to avoid a family of skunks. Happens to the best of us. But I will admit that not everyone's the best of us, and maybe for the more sheltered, urban roadtrip carpool, it might help to see that. Or maybe just replace those "Deer: Next 5 Miles" signs with billboards showing cars that had deer (or better yet, moose) peel back the roof like a can of sardines when they were struck at 80. Those do the most for me.

JWarren
May 10, 2007, 10:53 PM
I had a friend who was a very competent rural driver flip his car (note, car, not truck/SUV) trying to avoid a family of skunks.

You gotta love this one. A neighbor of mine, back when she was in high school, swerved her car to avoid hitting a armidillo and flipped her car. Within the same year, she saw another one but didn't swerve. She hit the armidillo and it caused her to flip her car.

Sometimes, you just can't win.

-- John

sadhvacman
May 10, 2007, 11:01 PM
that's funny

PedalBiker
May 10, 2007, 11:11 PM
I was about 10' from hitting a deer on my bike just a couple of weeks ago. I was going down hill about 40mph, the deer jumped up out of the ditch and just looked at me for about a 1/2 second. While I grabbed my brakes she decided to make a quick exit.

The other good thing about hunting is that the animals that survive have a good fear of humans.

greg531mi
May 10, 2007, 11:34 PM
Coming back from the Louisville gun show, I hit the Michigan line, and in the pitch dark, a big deer comes from the median, and hits my car, no time to react or anything. I stopped and look at the damage, but didn't see the deer, then limped into Coldwater and called the cops, and got a police report for my insurance company....
Why don't I see these deer during deer season???
Got a lot of anti hunters on our side, when they hit a deer. One friend, whose opinion changed, said, after her car got damaged, "kill them all!"
We have too many landowners that don't allow hunting on their land. Then, they get block permits to kill them themselves....Our DNR is crazy...they should tell them to open their land to hunters, before giving out these permits.
I won't tell you my opinion on trophy hunters, there are way too many deer to cull for that.....

target1911
May 11, 2007, 12:12 AM
ITS NOT BS....I do have pics but my scanner is off line..give your e-mail and i will send with my phone. The YOUNG buck had been hit and i guess was stunned. He didnt fight at all. I was amazed myself. But it is the GOD'S HONEST TRUTH

sadhvacman
May 11, 2007, 06:40 AM
Really!?!
I stand corrected. unbelievable!

gunsmith
May 11, 2007, 07:04 AM
While in the Bay Area (walnut creek).
I was really tempted to shoot it ...I had a snubbie .357...is that enough gun for a good sized deer?

Dravur
May 11, 2007, 10:51 AM
a couple years ago in northern Wyoming. Just crossed the Montana/Wyoming border between Broadus and Gillette and when I came around a curve, yep, a herd of deer. Most leaped off the road. one poor doe went under my wheels.

No need to shoot her. Wasn't anything left. Had to wash the truck in Gillette. no damage to truck.

I dont mind shooting them, and eating them. This poor doe just chose badly.

Hanzerik
May 11, 2007, 11:27 AM
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to call bs on the loading a live buck in the truck. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that happening.

Stranger things have happened.

Story:
My friends and I were out in the San Bernardino foot hills near our house in Southern California (was a time before it turned into a crappy place to grow up) shooting frogs with our BB guns (Ages ranged 13-15). When all of a sudden this deer, for some reason we never figured out, comes running down this small hill towards us right smack into the pond we were standing next to. Weird thing was that it split our group, we were too stunned to move, I mean it ran right between us as we stood there. Well, as it was swimming away we noticed it had some bloody wounds on it haunches, we figured it was a mountain lion attack. So being dumb kids we decided to try and catch it and call the wardens. After about 3 laps of this pond it finally came on shore and stopped a few feet from us. We got a rope (Damn hard to lasso a freaking deer) and subdued it until my friends older brother showed up with a truck. Took it home and called the F&G and they came and picked it up and agreed that it was a mountain lion attack by the looks of it. Never did figure out what they did with it.

target1911
May 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
HANZERIK

You are lucky the mountain lion didnt get you later for messin with his snack

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer hit by car" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!