Deer/Hog pistol?

PDA

BoneDigger
May 8, 2007, 09:53 PM
Would this be a good choice and is this a good price?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/50_494/products_id/39829

Todd

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer/Hog pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
May 8, 2007, 11:24 PM
Well, a .44 Maggie is certainly far above minimums. :)

By and large, the Taurus is okay as a revolver. That price doesn't hit me with sticker shock, so I guess it's okay. Odds are you won't find better for less money.

Me, I'd load it with about 6.0 grains of 231 and a 250-grain lead SWC for practice, so as not to beat it--and me--to death. Run a dozen or so full-house loads through it to get used to full power recoil, etc., and sight in for that...

Art

Lennyjoe
May 9, 2007, 03:22 AM
I had a Tracker in .357 and liked it very much.

The Tracker series are a pretty nice revolver. The .44 will tackle any deer/hog with the right loads.

I use AA#9 and 240gr Meister Hard Cast for hunting loads. Also, Unique works well for range loads and won't beat you up too bad.

I picked up a used in great condition Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag for $400 at a local gunshow.

Smokey Joe
May 17, 2007, 12:46 PM
Bone Digger--(Are you an archaeologist?)--Re: a .44 Magnum Tracker: I have to echo Art Eatman's comments; would add that I had a new Taurus once, which leaded in the bbl terribly for the first 1500 rounds or so, and you'll also have to clean lead out of the porting. Of course, since mine, Taurus may have smoothed out their bbls more, and solved the problem.

Don't let this stop you from getting the Taurus; sounds like an OK deal to me. You'll need a holster to carry it while hunting. And you'll need to study hog anatomy; their vitals are further forward than you might think. And you'll need to PRACTICE w/yr new handgun enough so that you can make a humane, killing shot at any distance you might need to. Then practice some more.

Mostly this can be with target-level loads. But (again, to echo Art) you'll need enough PRACTICE with the full-house rounds to effectively use those. The standard wisdom when I was starting with hogs is, that you want a heavy, hard-cast lead bullet with a big flat nose, loaded as hot as is consistent with safety and accuracy, to do the most internal damage. Gas checks on the back end of the bullets help some with the leading.

Enjoy yr new pistol! And keep us posted on yr results, please!

glockman19
May 17, 2007, 12:50 PM
When Pig hunting I take along my .357. I'm not a Taurus fan so I'd probably pay a little more and get a Ruger or S&W.

jmorris
May 17, 2007, 01:58 PM
It will work fine as long as you have enough accuracy to make good hits. An XP-100 or contender, would be better choices if a long shot might be required. Most folks I know lean towards hunting deer from a stand (great for pistols); however, they hunt hogs at night with spotlights on foot (not so good for pistols).

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer/Hog pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!