How many times per year are guns used in SD?

PDA

Drjones
January 7, 2003, 07:24 PM
Where can I find citations and references for the numbers that guns are used in SD each year?

I know the figures range from 1-4 million each year.

Thanks!
Drjones

If you enjoyed reading about "How many times per year are guns used in SD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
January 7, 2003, 09:05 PM
The Armed Citizen column in American Rifleman and American Hunter magazines.

The only credible studies have been done by Dr. Gary Kleck, University of Florida, I believe.

Standing Wolf
January 7, 2003, 09:16 PM
All the numbers are estimates; I'm sure, however, all the estimates are low, because they're unlikely to include warnings such as, "Are you sure you want to try to pick a fight with an armed man?" et cetera.

Drjones
January 8, 2003, 03:35 AM
SW: thank you, and I am aware of that. Just wanted to know where I could find online citations for the studies that have been done.

Hkmp5sd
January 8, 2003, 04:06 AM
Cost-benefit analysis hardly offers a persuasive case for a ban. One recent study indicates that handguns are used in roughly 645,000 self-defense actions each year--a rate of once every 48 seconds. (As noted above, most defensive uses simply involving brandishing the gun.) The number of self-defense uses is at least equal to, and probably more than, the number of times handguns are used in a crime.
Trust the People: The Case Against Gun Control (http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa109.html)

The 31 states that have "shall issue" laws allowing private citizens to carry concealed weapons have, on average, a 24 percent lower violent crime rate, a 19 percent lower murder rate and a 39 percent lower robbery rate than states that forbid concealed weapons. In fact, the nine states with the lowest violent crime rates are all right-to-carry states. Remarkably, guns are used for self-defense more than 2 million times a year, three to five times the estimated number of violent crimes committed with guns.
Gun Control: Myths and Realities (http://www.cato.org/dailys/05-13-00.html)

The number of defensive gun uses is a hotly contested issue. At least two carefully crafted surveys suggest that guns may be used for defensive purposes as many as 2 million to 3.6 million times a year. A recent paper presented at the American Society of Criminology meetings in Chicago, Illinois, adduces numerous reasons to suspect that the latter figure is too, or even impossibly, high, however. Assuming, arguendo, that the true number is in fact closer to 65,000, the argument regarding the limited utility of firearms is nonetheless not an argument against shall-issue carry laws. The fact that guns are only rarely useful does not render them any less useful or necessary in those circumstances in which they are precisely the right tool for the job. The fact that firearms cannot handle all problems of personal security does not mean they can handle no such problems.
Fighting Back: Crime, Self-Defense, and the Right to Carry a Handgun (http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-284.html)

Drjones
January 8, 2003, 04:48 AM
HK:

Thanks!!! Those came JUST in time for me to use them!!!

:D

Drjones

mdwest
January 8, 2003, 11:18 AM
dont know about the rest of the country but, there were 15 fatal, justifiable homicides (self defense shootings) in Memphis in 2002. The Memphis Trauma Hospital (The Med) only has an 9% mortality rate for people who enter their hospital with gun shot wounds. Using this math, it would mean that Memphis probably had between 160 and 170 JUSTIFIED DEFENSIVE SHOOTINGS last year alone.

Stay Safe and Win at All Costs!
Dave West
www.legionconsulting.com

If you enjoyed reading about "How many times per year are guns used in SD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!