"Tactical" hugs and CCW

PDA

strat81
May 9, 2007, 10:40 AM
How does one hug other people without letting them know you're carrying on your hip? I'm still new to CCW.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Tactical" hugs and CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fish Miner
May 9, 2007, 10:50 AM
Shake Hands :)

strat81
May 9, 2007, 10:54 AM
Shake Hands

If I shake my grandmother's hand, she'll kick my butt. :D

Henry Bowman
May 9, 2007, 10:54 AM
a) "Go low" on your strong side.

b) Have some other gizmo (cell phone, BlackBerry, etc.) on your belt on the same side so that you can pull it out and show it if asked.

dakotasin
May 9, 2007, 10:57 AM
i don't care who knows i'm carrying. so, if a hug must be given and the hug-ee finds out, oh well... i guess its the same as going to a family gathering and removing my cover garment and exposing the weapon that way...

CajunBass
May 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
I say, "That's my gun. Don't worry about it. You won't hurt it."

walking arsenal
May 9, 2007, 11:42 AM
When you hug someone just go low under their arms instead of over the top. This forces them to hug you up by your shoulders rather than around your waist, assuming thats were you carry.

30 cal slob
May 9, 2007, 11:43 AM
i'm just happy to see you.

tank mechanic
May 9, 2007, 11:45 AM
Maybe ankle carry for those family gatherings where you just don't want to get found out.

ZeSpectre
May 9, 2007, 11:57 AM
I tend to do a "cross hug". Low on the carry side and high on the other side. Works pretty well.

Heavy Metal Hero
May 9, 2007, 11:59 AM
i'm just happy to see you.

Nice.

Kacerdias
May 9, 2007, 12:09 PM
Funny story about this...

At a family gathering of mine near Dallas we sat around the living room chatting and catching up. My nephew arrived with his new wife who came towards me for a surprise hug. She bumped into the S&W 637 in my pocket (I still don't know how...) and she asked me what I kept in there. Being a fairly open family I told her it was a "personal protection device".

"Yeah, so a gun right?"

My nephew heard this and asked me if I had a CHL too. Since he didn't seem startled, I nodded yes. Like clockwork everyone in the room began to produce various pistols from various hidden holsters, carefully laying each one on the coffee table in the middle of the living room. My sister with her Rossi .38, nephew with a mini Glock, brother had a Para-Ord LDA .45 with a P3AT BUG, brother in law with a large Colt .357.... I pity the idiot that decides to harm any of them.

God, I love my family. :D

The Unknown User
May 9, 2007, 12:24 PM
haha, wow. :P You didn't know so many people in your family carried?

Vonderek
May 9, 2007, 12:25 PM
Hug the other person's body under their arm with your weak side arm (so they have to hug you around the shoulders) while turning your strong side hip slightly away.

hso
May 9, 2007, 12:42 PM
If they're hugging me then they already know I carry or they might as well.

Outlaw Man
May 9, 2007, 12:45 PM
Develop a highly contageous illness. :D

Or use the low gun side approach.

Bob F.
May 9, 2007, 02:30 PM
Couple funnies here, too:

When I used to work in a Pain Clinic, some might assume we had narcotics on property. Most of the staff knew I had CHL but not supposed to carry at work so left "my buddy" in the truck. A couple times the office manager instructed me to "Walk out to your truck for a minute" when some unsavory soul set the neck hairs to tingling.

Ran into one of the former employees and here hubby at Kroger one evening and she hugged me before I gave it a though, bumping my "buddy" at 3 o'clock. She started to say something and caught herself, "oh, yeah, you're carrying" and smiled. Pretty green eyes.

First aniversary of 9/11 several of us were eating lunch in the back, I'm in a shirt and tie with legs stretched out. Sweet little country girl chuckled and asked, "Your ankle swollen?" PhD then looked over and asked, "You commerating 9/11?" "Something like that, you never know, McVeigh picked an anniversary."

Remember, this was all in WV, a gun friendly area. Started to say something else, but don't wanna give any BG lurkers any ideas.

possum
May 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
why do you not want your grandmother to know?

i hug alot of people like normal and they put there arms around me and there are very few people that ever notice, acually no one has ever noticed.

Big Calhoun
May 9, 2007, 03:02 PM
My family tends to hug up high, so it's not a real concern. If you're standing and the other person is sitting, it also shouldn't be an issue. For nonfamily or people you just don't feel like being touchy-feely with, you can do a 'hood hug': Extend your strong arm out to initiate a handshake, when your hands clasp, use your weak arm to briefly 'hug' the other person.

akodo
May 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
haha, wow. :P You didn't know so many people in your family carried?

because concealed means concealed?

pharmer
May 9, 2007, 03:15 PM

Yep. Joe

crankshop1000
May 9, 2007, 03:28 PM
Skip the hug... just kiss her on the lips! Chuck.

Gooseberi
May 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
nice suggestion Crankshop1009

strat81
May 9, 2007, 04:58 PM
why do you not want your grandmother to know?

Because it's none of her business. I just mentioned my grandmother as an example. I believe concealed means concealed and I don't want everyone and their brother to know. Also some people don't understand why I carry a gun to the grocery store, a barbeque, work, while mowing the lawn, the family reunion picnic, their kids' tee-ball came, to chamber of commerce meetings, in someone else's house, etc etc.

Explaining why I exercise my rights gets annoying sometimes. It's bad enough explaining to people why I lock the doors on my house, car, and garage every night in rural Nebraska.

kellyj00
May 9, 2007, 04:59 PM
I hugged my future Mother in law the other day while carrying. She looked at me funny. She's smart, she probably knew it was a gun.

I just said "Chastity belt."

10 Ring Tao
May 9, 2007, 05:02 PM

Yup. Generally, one of your arms will go under one of theirs, and your other arm will go 'high' around their neck or shoulder.

Don't let their arm get under your strongside arm.

Dorryn
May 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
How big of a weapon are you CCing? I hug pretty much like normal, maybe keep my hips slightly farther back, and nobody has ever noticed my G27 IWB. Including my mother, who goes for all-in super hugs. And she's not an anti, but she's definitely not pro- so i need to keep her from knowing.

+1 to the ankle. Nobody has ever caught me with it.

ArfinGreebly
May 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
I just said "Chastity belt."
:D

That's worth remembering.

CNYCacher
May 9, 2007, 07:04 PM
Funny story.

I have taken the "go-low" approach and it has worked very well. I keep my right hand straight down at my hip and my left hand goes up and I kinda lean to the right a little. People naturally reverse this when they hug me back. It has worked very well except for my uncle who is a LEO. He hugs with his left hand down all the time no matter what and it screws me up.

Then I remembered, he's left handed :)

rickomatic
May 9, 2007, 07:15 PM
Use the magician's technique of misdirection. As you hug them, reach around and give their left buttcheek a nice firm squeeze. They won't even notice if you've got an M4 stuck down your pants. :what:

Of course...the pastor might think you're a little weird...... :D

03Shadowbob
May 9, 2007, 09:22 PM
I don't have that problem as I am not much of a hugger. Anyone I hug has known me since we were little boys or I am married to her.

Stevie-Ray
May 9, 2007, 10:31 PM
That seems to be a problem only when I am carrying weak side, cross-draw in a belly-band. Not really a problem, just noticeable.

TimboKhan
May 9, 2007, 11:10 PM
I don't like being touched all that much, by grandmothers or anyone else, so that pretty much solves that problem. Seriously, any one of you guys touches me, I'll kill ya.

+1 to the person that can name the movie that I got that last qoute from...

cloudedice
May 9, 2007, 11:39 PM
Stripes!

I thought the quote sounded a little off, so I went searching:

"You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meathooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you." - courtesy of IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083131/quotes)

I love that movie.

Deavis
May 10, 2007, 07:45 AM
Lean in a bit more and force them to hug you up top. Rotate your hips slightly and lead with your off-hip. If you wear it slightly behind your hip and do those things, you should be okay. Practice a bit and don't go for the full on hug. Make noise and clap them slightly to divert their attention and make the hug seem bigger than it really is.

Rock_Steady
May 10, 2007, 08:37 AM
Lighten up, Francis.

It feels a bit clumsy changing the way you hug someone, and you think everyone will notice you being awkward, but its mostly in your perception. Go low, you'll make it through.

Finch
May 10, 2007, 08:46 AM
I've thought about this before, and I always felt that if I am going to hug someone who I wouldn't trust with the knowledge that I carry, then I probably shouldn't be hugging them.

TimboKhan
May 12, 2007, 02:20 AM
I thought the quote sounded a little off, so I went searching

haha, well I did clean it up a little bit to be THR friendly! You know, all that aside, I really don't like being touched all that much, and the people that do give me hugs (moms, dads, etc...) all know I carry and therefore I am not particularly worried about them feeling the weapon.

zoom6zoom
May 12, 2007, 08:47 PM
I don't like being touched all that much, by grandmothers or anyone else, so that pretty much solves that problem. Seriously, any one of you guys touches me, I'll kill ya.

+1 to the person that can name the movie that I got that last qoute from...

http://www.movieactors.com/photos/stripes121.jpeg
Lighten up, Francis.

The Lone Haranguer
May 12, 2007, 09:28 PM
If it is inevitable that you're going to get hugged, be proactive and initiate it. Keep your arms low, aiming for their waist, so it forces the other person to hug you around the shoulders. (The opposite applies if you're wearing a shoulder holster.)

Unisaw
May 13, 2007, 01:20 PM
Stripes.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Tactical" hugs and CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!