I just got a lecture this morning....

PDA

woo18
May 9, 2007, 11:16 AM
I just got a lecture this morning from the person who guards (checks receipts, usually a retired person wearing civilian clothing and a red vest) the exit at the local WallyWorld.

I stopped by WallyWorld this morning on the way to work to buy some ammunition for a trip to the range this weekend. I am gearing up to reload, but certain key components are back-ordered at Midway. So I decided to stop at WallyWorld, they usually have the best prices.

On my way out, the guard asked for my receipt, I showed it to her, she then asked what was in the bags. As soon as I said the word ammunition she looked at me as if I was the devil himself, proceeded to tell me how shooting is a very bad thing, asked why I need a gun, and said it is very dangerous. This went on for a good five minutes. After which I left.

I am currently drafting a letter of complaint to WallyWorld.

BTW, I live in New York. This particular WallyWorld is frequented a lot by police officers and civilians alike for ammunition.

If you enjoyed reading about "I just got a lecture this morning...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
News Shooter
May 9, 2007, 11:22 AM
why in the world would you stand there listening to that for five minutes?

The Unknown User
That's terrible.

To be honest with you, I would have just started laughing. And then I would have left in the middle of her lecture going, "Yeah, okay, sure lady."

DMK
I always just hold up the receipt as I keep on walking. I'm already PO'd that they treat every customer as a potential shoplifter. She'd be telling her story to the closing door if it was me.

woo18
May 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
I should have walked away, but I have some weird respect for all authority figures. Even though it came in the form of a retired person in a red vest guarding the exit at WallyWorld.

tenbase
May 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
just walk out the door. once you pay at the register the items are yours, and the store has no business pawing through your bags or looking at your receipt.

definitely send the letter.

Eleven Mike
May 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
Serves you right for buying your gun stuff from Wal-Mart. :rolleyes:

DRZinn
May 9, 2007, 11:31 AM
Unless I set off the alarm somehow, I don't even show the receipt.

Much less stop.
Much less let them check my bags.
Much less stand there for five minutes listening to an idiot tell me what to do.

Eleven Mike
May 9, 2007, 11:34 AM
I don't blame him for staying to listen to the lecture. Must have been pretty amusing.

Or you could have asked him why he was working for a company that sells guns and ammo.

BobCav
May 9, 2007, 11:34 AM
$10.95 for a box of CCI Brass .45 ACP is good reason to shop there, but the door checker has no authority to stop you whatsoever. I paid legally for my items at from the moment of sale, they are MINE and I need not prove that to anyone, least of all an opinionated and misinformed anti.

Next time they try to stop you, just keep on walking and see what happens. NOTHING. They have no authority to detain you and need to stop treating everyone like the lowest shoplifter.

Outlaw Man
May 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
At my local Walmart, they're more likely to ask you why you don't have ammo. LOL

In my experience, Walmart does a pretty good job taking care of complaints when the worker didn't do their job/did something they're not supposed to. I'd be willing to be she doesn't bother anyone else after that.

WayneConrad
May 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
I think listening to the spiel is a small price to pay for the "standing" to write that letter. Perhaps WalMart will correct her behavior.

hso
May 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
I think I would have gotten the manager and taken them to the presumptious person and asked them why this was allowed to happen.

AJ Dual
May 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
Assuming I had the time, I'd just ignore her as she went on her rant, walk over to the customer service/returns counter where the 1-800 corporate number is usually posted, put it in my cell phone, then go stand right next to her and let her overhear as I lodged a complaint over her behavior with their customer service line.

Whatever people may say about Wally-World, the one consistent truth seems to be that complaint calls to their corporate HQ get acted on, and promptly. Considering that a simple call over an anti-CCW sign can get them removed, a door checker going on a rant about legal products the store she works at sells ought to get some serious smack-down from on high.

And who knows, the whole incident might be good for a $25 "we're sorry" gift-card and another free box of WWB or CCI Blazer... :cool:

Oleg Volk
May 9, 2007, 11:45 AM
Walmart might want to know their own employees are trying to drive away business.

david_the_greek
May 9, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'd say your standing and listening was respectful and the right thing to do. granted it was very rude and uncalled for that she felt she must lecture you and change your evil ways. I've always been one to listen to older folks when they talk to me, even if it sometimes is just dribble.

Waitone
May 9, 2007, 11:48 AM
It will stop when people cease tolerating such nonsense.

K3
May 9, 2007, 11:50 AM
I just keep walking. They don't need to see my receipt, and I will not be treated as a shoplifter. What are they going to do, not let me leave? Yeah, try it.

It's the same as the prepay business at gas stations. Dammit, do I have to leave a C-note at with the cashier before I start putting groceries in my basket at the supermarket?

As for the do-gooder with the advice, I'd have told her to mind her own business and left it at that. High road? Maybe not, but oh well. What happened to keeping your nose out of another man's business?

El Tejon
May 9, 2007, 11:51 AM
Make certain you send a letter to the Manager, Assistant Manager, the District Manager, and one copy to headquarters. Tell them you posted your experience on a gun board on the Internet too.:D

skywalkrNCSU
May 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
i wouldve just laughed at her and walked out

bogie
May 9, 2007, 12:04 PM
Wal-mart controls prices by controlling theft. Plus, some folks assume that the people at the doors are actually "greeters." More than a few of 'em are retired service, and I suspect a few cops and loss prevention folks in there.

pax
May 9, 2007, 12:06 PM
"Is your employer paying you to tell customers NOT to buy WalMart products?"

pax

BobCav
May 9, 2007, 12:10 PM
Controlling theft is one thing, but the end does not justify the means. Find a better, non intrusive way to do it or cease and desist the activity. Simple to me!

ravnew
May 9, 2007, 12:16 PM
I have to agree with AJ Dual, I would have filed a compliant right there in front of her. I'm sure that would have stopped her from doing the same thing to another shopper.

K3
May 9, 2007, 12:16 PM
Wal-mart controls prices by controlling theft. Plus, some folks assume that the people at the doors are actually "greeters." More than a few of 'em are retired service, and I suspect a few cops and loss prevention folks in there.

Maybe at your Wal-Mart, but around here, these folks don't appear to know left from right or what day it is.

Besides, if Wal-Mart wants to control theft, maybe they ought to watch the back door and some of their employees. Or so I've heard.

kfranz
May 9, 2007, 12:18 PM
I think you ought to see if you can schedule a meeting with the store manager and said employee. Might be fun...

strat81
May 9, 2007, 12:22 PM
Imagine if you had ammo, condoms, and booze in the same bag. She would've fainted.

Creeping Incrementalism
May 9, 2007, 12:24 PM
I am currently drafting a letter of complaint to WallyWorld.

Wal-Mart is one of the biggest customers of the company I work for. I can say from our experience that you are more likely to get results at the store level, as opposed to the corporate HQ.

Justin
May 9, 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm going to tentatively leave this one open.

Please no discussions about how Wal*Mart is the Devil, don't buy ammo there, etc.

A discussion on a prudent course of action for woo18 to take would be interesting, and I'd like to know what the store management's response would be.

unrealtrip
May 9, 2007, 12:41 PM
That is total BS, that contracted guard should be reassigned. One complaint is all it would take.

Personally, I don't stop at the door to let them check my reciept. I paid for my goods and I'm walking out, I don't care if an alarm goes off. If they attempt to detain me, they are about to have a bad day.

Neo-Luddite
May 9, 2007, 12:48 PM
My favorite is watching people dutifully respond to the recorded alarm voice that commands them to seek out an associate before walking through the outer door. I'm already de-programming my 4 year-old to just keep walking out. Me and mine don't respond to recorded disembodied demands. Yes, nice old people can check the receipt and that's fine.

They probably keep her on because she (unlike many) actually show up to work. The lowest common denominator. Still, just amazing---actually busting your chops over BUYING their products. The real question is--do you care enough to take action? You might not want to hire her if you were the mananger--but would you have her lose her job?

Jomax
May 9, 2007, 12:49 PM
If you mail a letter off to their corporate offices, with a copy to the manager of the specific store, I'm sure they'll re-orientate the lady and tell her to keep her political opinions to herself. Or, if she won't, they'll can her. Simple. But when you write the letter, don't rant or get emotional about it. Just express both your surprise and dismay at her behavior. Let them take it from there.

kellyj00
May 9, 2007, 12:50 PM
lol... next time buy some disposable enimas, some gangster rap music, some baby oil and road flares with your ammo. Then tell her that you're trying to spice up your relationship.

I feel that it's my responsibility to listen to the complaints of anti-gun folks and what their concerns are. I never argue with anti-gun people, I just make a few points in the conversation. Just like when you have an employee who comes to you and starts complaining, it's best to listen to what they have to say... who knows, they may have a point or two!

From conversations I've had in college, parties and at work I've found that most anti-gun folks have never shot off a round and don't understand that it's a hobby and self-defense only type of thing. I've heard concerns that children get a hold of guns and don't understand that they're not toys. I've also heard that "ricochet's kill people as much as the bullets themselves, so nobody but police should carry guns because they have special bullets that disentigrate on impact rather than ricocheting" and after the VT incident that "Glocks should be banned! Nobody needs an automatic weapon, not even police!"

It's our job as American's to uphold the constitution, and the 1st amendment says "free speech" and is just as important as the 2nd amendment. I feel it's my responsibility as a gun owner to teach youngens that firearms are not toys and to satisfy their curiosity about them by letting them handle them *IF their parent's are present* It's also my responsibility to tell teens anything they want to know about firearms.

It's in our interest to keep the air clear, and to make sure that all of the complaints don't fall on deaf ears. Some of what folks believe is simply untrue and nobody else is going to displace these myths except for folks like us.

We didn't have concealed carry in KS until recently, and the only reason I can think of is because we have governor who seems to veto everything that says 'firearm' on it. There's more reason to let honest folks have weapons than just the Constitution, it's a great hobby, it's good for the economy, it's good for people's morale, hunting with a firearm teaches children lessons they can't learn otherwise, it's also good for Family's as it's a sport that everyone can get into.

The only problem with firearms is the myths and rumors and the fine line that a lot of people see between criminals and honest American gun owners. The more we distance ourselves from the extremists and the criminals by being polite and courteous the closer we get to getting all 230 million American's out on the range once and a while...because it's in the interest of America, just like the writers of the constitution foresaw centuries years ago.

</rant>

Seminole
May 9, 2007, 12:53 PM
Your tolerance of stupid people acting rudely is obviously greater than mine.

Write the letters that have been suggested. And next time don't stop to let someone inquire about your belongings.

SSN Vet
May 9, 2007, 12:55 PM
3 seconds into dialog....

"excuse me mamm but I disagree.......so does Walmart pay you to irritate customers by pontificating you're political opinions....and if you really have a problem with it, why do you work for a company that sells such deadly devices"

scurtis_34471
May 9, 2007, 01:00 PM
"Let's go talk to your manager about why I shouldn't buy products sold by your store"

mpmarty
May 9, 2007, 01:05 PM
"I let you breath my air, why won't you let me do what I want?"

Neo-Luddite
May 9, 2007, 01:07 PM
I talk a lot sometimes--but I couldn't do it with a straight face. I'm way to conservative. Read "The Walmart Effect"--great book that puts the whole idea of walmart in better perspective (or did for me). Walmart isn't the devil--it's just delivering on the motto of 'low prices'. With this comes many un-intended and collateral consequences. But you DO mostly get the best price in town. Walmart is seductive for that reason.

My biggest gripe is that .32 ACP is 16.50 for WWB 50 ct and you can buy the mega pack of 9mm for just about the same price. I know, the discount is based on scale. The guns are really going away in many stores because the profit just isn't there anymore--and if the ammo becomes a liability it will follow suit.

I assume from the story that the 'guard' is older/elderly. That would really give me pause to ask for the manager. A kid I would have corrected and let it go at that.

tmajors
May 9, 2007, 01:12 PM
Imagine if you had ammo, condoms, and booze in the same bag. She would've fainted.

Don't rope, garbage bags, duct tape, disposable camera, nylons, a shovel, axe, saw, and so on. That will really mess up the cashiers :)

kludge
May 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
The night greeter at my local Wally World also owns the only gun shop in town. :D

Cliff47
May 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
Got a couple of those in my area too. That's why I haven't bought any ammunition at WalMart in a couple of years. I order mine from SG, and it arrives promptly, and no lectures from the delivery outfit (course, they don't speak English, and I don't speak whatever they jabbber along in).

Im283
May 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
You are to be commended for being polite to a senior citizen. In spite of this woman being wrong you acted with class. That is more than I can say for some of the comments I have read here in this thread.

The only thing I see you should do is make a call to the store manager and nicely tell him what happened. I am willing to bet that it did not last five minutes. Maybe one minute. Anyway hats off to you for taking the high road with her.

BTW mpmarty, it is everyone's air.

possum
May 9, 2007, 01:20 PM
i don't doubt that at all, i used to work at wal mart and there are some wierd folks there, every extreme you can imagine, some of the customers aren't any better but the personal that work there are something else. yeah i definetly wouldn't have even wasted my time listning to some like that for any amount of time.

you know what you should do? you should call the home office and complain. for one they are not helping the company any, because ammo sells at wal mart is a big thing and they make alot of sales on ammo. they are trying to deter you from buying therefore they are trying to keep you from buying ammo and essentially soending your money there.

if you and others didn't buy ammo there then that would hurt her or the grater in the end, because at the end of each year depending on the amount of money they made that year minus losses, and expensise they get a bonus, which is called the share holders bonus IIRC i worked there for 2 years and i got two of them the 2nd was much better as i worked more hours that year. it is a big deal to wal-mart employess and something they look foward to at the end of the year.

that is like them telling you that you shouldn't buy coffee filters because it is bad to drink coffee, they aren't making any money and they are not helping customer relations so they are hurting themselve.

ezypikns
May 9, 2007, 01:23 PM
it is very dangerous.

Just give her a response like the following:

Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer cocked back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

Kimber1911_06238
May 9, 2007, 01:23 PM
yeah, the last thing you need is an anti-gun speech by a receipt checker at wallyworld. next time just leave

Geno
May 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
Did she pinch your check and call you "Sunshiner". :neener:

Seriously now. You stood there and engaged in the conversation with her. Ergo, you have no legitimate grounds to complain after the fact. If you were so offended, you should have affronted her on the spot.

It sounds to me like she's just some random little old lady. Take her comments as a grain of salt and move on. If you're so upset about her, deal with her the next time you see her...if she ever does it again...3 strikes! She probably has the job to supplement her SSI.

In closing, I must admit I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the elderly. They elderly and the youth are our two national treasures.

Doc2005

kfranz
May 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
I'm already de-programming my 4 year-old to just keep walking out. Me and mine don't respond to recorded disembodied demands.

Absolutely correct. Wal-Mart's loss prevention problem is not my problem. I paid, it's mine, and I'm gone regardless of what the noisemakers, human or electronic, might say.

possum
May 9, 2007, 01:58 PM
it is kinda wierd becuase here in hinesville is the only wal-mart that i have seen that tries to check your reciept everytime. normally, it is only checked when the dinger goes off, and sometimes if you are whelling out something large and there is no bag. but here it is one and all, but i use my sere training and escape before they even have time to say anything.:D

akodo
May 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
controlling theft? that isn't how walmart keeps it's prices low.

People here are right though, once you pay, it is your property, and you don't have to let them nose around in it. If they truely believe you are shoplifting, they need to say basically 'sir, you have (name specific item) in (name specific location)' i.e. sir, you have a little debbie snak pack in your coat sleeve.

Once you pay, and they want to see your receipt or in your bag, and you say NO, they are allowed to say "you are no longer welcome here, if you remain it will be considered tresspassing" but that is ALL they can do....legally. I has happened where Loss Prevention people have actually attacked people in effort to see what was in their bag.

Strings
May 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
I had one of the old-guy greeters growl at me about having a cigarette in my mouth as I was leaving. Since then, i ALWAYS make sure to have one, ready to light-up as I leave...

I would've reported it to management: they need to know the moonbat is causing even a minor problem...

Sharps-shooter
May 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
I think you did the polite and respectful thing by standing there and listening. I seldom have the patience for such a thing myself, but you did the civil thing to do.

It's ironic that the guard works there, but doesn't agree with the person buying the products there. I guess sometimes people take jobs because they need the money.

Some ideas for writing the letter:

Of course, keep the tone of the letter very respectful. Avoid statements like "I'll never shop at your store again!" unles you really intend to follow through on them. A more persuasive statement would be "I appreciate your great deals on ammunition and would like to continue buying it at Wal-Mart; Being lectured by an opinionated greeter is neither good for my shopping experience, nor for your business." I'm sure they'll agree with you.

Sending multiple copies to multiple steps in the chain of command is also a good idea. Not sure how the store management is structured, but it might be good to send a letter to whoever is in charge of the ammo sales at that local store-- let them know that there toes are being stepped on as well, since they are a voice inside the company that potentially stands even more to lose from this behaviour than you the customer. It will only cost a little extra in postage, and it might create some dialog about the subject at hand. In addition to your particular greeter being redirected on this topic, I wouldn't be at all surprised if something was added to the greeter training program on the subject.

Be sure to point out that you've shared your experience with the online gun community, and that dozens/hundreds/thousands of people have now read your story. The reason for pointing this out is not to be coercive in any way, but to remind them that such is the way of this age of the world. Then end that paragraph by saying "I look forward to sharing your response with the online community as well". This is a good statement, because it implies not only that you expect a response, but that they wil be accountable for the response to a good number of their sporting goods department's customers.

BayouTeche77
May 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
You did better than I did in a similar situation with a Walmart cashier. The last time I bought any ammunition from there was three months ago, when I was checking out at the sporting goods counter, I asked the guy, real thin, around 55-ish in age with shoulder length grey hair and a matching beard, for two boxes of WWB 9mm. My friend behind me asked for the same in .45 ACP.

The guy got our ammo for us then as ringing up our sales, continued on a rant about how if we must insist on participating in "deadly" activities that we might want to stock up because he had just heard that the government was going to end the sale of handguns and handgun ammunition in the next year or so because the Mexican president doesn't want to deal with such a violent nation when they start construction of the international superhighway that would run from Panama to Ontario Canada with a stop over at Fort Knox because that was where our government would ship our gold from to Mexico City for the Mexican government to guard since we were falling apart as a society.

I was quite caught off guard, once I recovered I told him him my opinion and left. Seeing as how that night my opinion was quite the opposite of the high road I'll not post it, but it felt good.

Yep, that's the last time I bought ammo there. In fact, I've only made two really small purchases at Walmart since then. The best way to deal with it is to get the district manager's number and make sure that you contact that person first. They tend to be the ones who care the most about how their stores are performing.

Leanwolf
May 9, 2007, 02:41 PM
WOO18 - "I just got a lecture this morning...."

Where??????????????? Yeah, I know it was a Walmart, but Where?

L.W.

peterotte
May 9, 2007, 02:48 PM
She probably felt a whole heap better that someone had the respect to listen to her.

oldfart
May 9, 2007, 02:50 PM
I had a real surprise at our local Wallyworld last month. I'm kinda old and crippled and I just went in the nearest door. To my surprise, the management has partitioned the entrance area so there is a designated 'enter' and 'exit' door and I had committed the unpardonable sin of entering the exit.
Here's where the surprise came: As I walked toward the check-out counters I felt a hand grab my arm from behind. It's been fifty years or so since I had any hand-to-hand training but as soon as I felt that hand I spun, grabbed and ducked under it, bringing the connected arm up in a hammerlock. I immediately backed off because the guy was only slightly younger than me and a whole lot more surprised. I said something about being sorry but that he shouldn't have touched me like he did. He wasn't hurt - except for his pride, I guess. Anyway, I went on into the store and nothing came of the incident. Fortunately, the partition kept other people from seeing what I had done or the police would probably have been involved.
In all the time I spent in the military I never had to use that training but I guess it's still there, under all the fat and grey hair. Surprise, surprise.

PRazz
May 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
Tell them that if she wants to complain about Wallmart selling ammo she should do it to her boss or to corporate and not be preaching to the customers. What if you were there buying condoms or feminine products for your significant other, what is she going to do? preach to you about birth control or stds? It's none of her business what anyone buys and she should keep her opinions to herself.

I don't stop for anything at the door, ppl or alarms. I just smile and wave or play deaf. I know if I shoplifted something or not(btw of course NOT) and if the checker didn't take off a security tag or deactivate something then that's not my problem. Have a nice day.

Smurfslayer
May 9, 2007, 03:08 PM
but the door checker has no authority to stop you whatsoever

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+8.01-226.9
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-81

Gooseberi
May 9, 2007, 03:10 PM
This is insane...not only should you have filed a complaint in front of her, but also suggested she reread her *greeter* mannual..I am sure there is nothing in it about harrassing a customer regardless what the purchase, be it ammo or a personal vibrator...*grin*

Baba Louie
May 9, 2007, 03:16 PM
Respect your elders. All fine and well.

Should that happen again, politely interrupt their spiel and tell them, "Guns and ammunition are not bad. But I understand that some people are."
Thank them for their concern, wish them a good day and move on.

Or not.

Colt
May 9, 2007, 03:20 PM
Sending multiple copies to multiple steps in the chain of command is also a good idea.

This is good advice. If you really want to be sure it's acted on, be sure to put in the "cc:" line at the bottom of the letter, and list the different levels of the company you're going to send the letter to.

That will motivate the lower-level managers and offices to take action, as they will expect the upper level(s) to inquire about the matter, and will want to have a good answer when asked how they've resolved the issue.

kellyj00
May 9, 2007, 03:27 PM
good point... it was an old lady. Gotta take what they say with a grain of salt...

Also good to note, she's probably a voter. Most old people are. They are also the largest banana eating group in America.

ar154life
May 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
hmm, an old lady..........

wooderson
May 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
Maybe it's just my bleeding heart but I'm not going to get an elderly woman in one of the few jobs offered to someone her age fired or disciplined.

A five-minute spiel (probably shorter) that I could have walked out on at any time really isn't worth caring about.

willbrink
May 9, 2007, 03:51 PM
Last time I purchased ammo at Wally World, at the checkout the women asks "you a cop?" I said "nope" and gave her a big mind-your-own-business-sh*&-eating grin, and walked out. Wally worlds in MA seem to have stopped selling ammo recently, at least the Wally world close to me stopped selling ammo.

10 Ring Tao
May 9, 2007, 04:13 PM
Take one of these back to the store, and see if you can use your ninja powers to stick it to their back without being noticed...

http://gunownershipisnotacrime.org/

SamTuckerMTNMAN
May 9, 2007, 04:20 PM
This is bullying.
It's not a matter of simply leaving, or of laughing, especially not listening to her tirade for others to hear the foul propoganda.

In addition to writing a letter to the store , if you feel thats a good course, be proactive.

Turn the tables on her so she feels a little more uncomfortable for acting in such a manner as you. Next time it might be a fence sitter, or someone new to shooting who could be convinced up giving up the new interest or hobby without much resistance.

Be prepared with knowledge to slam her on the principles of a free society, find out what she believes in and directly tie the right to bear arms into the protection of those freedoms. Ask her if she trusts the government for all eternity, ask if she thinks the world will always be the safe warm fuzzy place it is now, ask if the special response cops that hang out at her house 24 hours a day are as alert and hard core as the security at WALMART:barf:

I get so sick of hearing THR's getting pushed around, by gangsters laughing at their workout garages from the street forcing them indoors for everything living a fearful life to
NUMB BRAINED WALMART ELITIST BRAINWASHED BAG CHECKERS
:fire:

ST

ps - for what its worth I just bought a load of .223 and some cleaning supplies at Mall Wart last night, no questions, no ID, no nothin....but then again the employees are a distillation of the community. Getting more expensive every day. . . . :(

Havegunjoe
May 9, 2007, 04:25 PM
First, I wouldn't have listened to 5 minutes of that BS. Second this sounds like a golden opportunity to convert someone if you have time. You might ask how she arrived at her conclusion that shooting is "very bad" then explain how it isn't. In any case I would have at least politely told her that she is wrong and I enjoy shooting and I think she is misinformed.

Eleven Mike
May 9, 2007, 04:28 PM
Those of you bragging about how you storm out of the store without letting them check your bags - why do you shop there if you won't obey their rules? You are violating their property rights. If you know they want to search your bag before you purchase the item, then you have tacitly agreed to the search as a condition of the purchase. Now, legally, I don't imagine they can prove that you knew, but don't pretend to be defending your rights, when you've waived your rights and are breaking an agreement.

Vern Humphrey
May 9, 2007, 04:33 PM
I would have simply said, "I want to speak to the store manager -- right now!"

Wal-Mart will not tolerate rudeness toward customers.

Tinmancr
May 9, 2007, 04:37 PM
they are guards?
never would have guessed, but hey Walmart cheapest possible employee makes sense.
they are pretty nice up here and I have the same respect for authority and even elders.
but that is pretty lame she should take he soap box elsewhere.
and that should be against policy, can't be cool with walmart to get that kind of press.
they already have all the don't buy Chinese crap against them "not a racial slur".
their prices are not that great up here on ammo, also I thought they lost the ability to sell ammo because of the thing with the school kids.
what ever happened with that?

kfranz
May 9, 2007, 04:52 PM
Those of you bragging about how you storm out of the store without letting them check your bags - why do you shop there if you won't obey their rules? You are violating their property rights. If you know they want to search your bag before you purchase the item, then you have tacitly agreed to the search as a condition of the purchase. Now, legally, I don't imagine they can prove that you knew, but don't pretend to be defending your rights, when you've waived your rights and are breaking an agreement.

Wal-Mart and I have no such agreement. If they have a set of rules that I violate, they are welcome to banish me.

possum
May 9, 2007, 05:06 PM
actaully wal-mart dosen't have many rights at all anymore. especially like they used too, even dealing with folks that actually do wrong. they just recently re impliminted the loss prevention guys and gals which for a year or two had fallen by the way side. READ 11M i used to work there, my step dad and my aunt are in management, there is no such : agreement" and you are not breaking there "rules", no where does it say in the company modules that they are to check rescipts. and it definetly never says anything about haggling customers and trying to deter them from buying from the store. i wish the home office got ahold of this case it would be funny to see how bad that store would be hurt. i know all kinds of dirty little secrets about wal-mart, some what of a SME if i should say so myself. don't accuse us we have done nothing wrong, they are the ones that are not following company directives and guidlines not us.

Eleven Mike
May 9, 2007, 05:10 PM
Smurfslayer, your legal links seem to say that the law requires probable cause. Is walking out on the receipt-checker probable cause?

possum, you seem to be confused. I certainly am not defending this loud-mouthed Wal-Mart employee in her anti-gun lectures. Also, I spoke of a tacit agreement. An unspoken one. If you know that your local Wal-Mart will check your reciept or bag, yet you continue to enter their property and buy their items, then you have agreed to future searches/receipt-checks.

AntiqueCollector
May 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
Should have gone to the manager as soon as she began lecturing.

BigO01
May 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
If you were fat and had ice cream and chocolate syrup in the bag would you have stood there and listened to a speech on nutrition ?

Had diapers and listened to one on the overpopulation of the earth ?

I would have asked her for her complete name and written it down and then informed her I WOULD be speaking to the headquarters on her treatment of a paying customer and if I had to stand in front of the store entrance with a sign informing the shooting public about the incident so they can take their business elsewhere .

CNYCacher
May 9, 2007, 05:57 PM
I usually have antis converted in 4 . . . :neener:

Neo-Luddite
May 9, 2007, 05:58 PM
Sam's Club does check everyones receipt against their purchases. Walmart may be making more of a habit of it as self-check out becomes more common.

Silly, because a good thief will be smiling and compliant the whole time. He'll probably be so nice, they'll have him fill out an ap at the kiosk. The shink has got to be massive at an operation that size.

Justin
May 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
This one's served its purpose.

Woo18, please update us in a new thread if you decide to take any action as a result of this incident.

If you enjoyed reading about "I just got a lecture this morning...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!