My Wyoming Road Trip, May 2007

PDA

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 11:22 AM
I just returned from a quick 1,000 mile car tour around Wyoming. There were two reasons for my visit: to speak to the Wyoming State Shooting Association in Casper last Saturday, and to do some eyeball recon for my next book. I was invited up to Casper by Mark S, president of the WSSA, so I thought it was a perfect opportunity to visit the state.

Thursday May 3rd I flew into Denver Int'l and rented a car, and drove up I-25 toward Wyoming. The sky ahead at 4PM was black and full of lightning; this was part of the storm that hit Kansas with deadly twisters. Just after crossing into Wyoming, there was a highway sign over the interstate with lightbulbs for traffic advisories. It read "HIGH WIND WARNING: 55+ MPH." Welcome to Wyoming! I quickly learned to hang onto the wheel and deal with the wind. This first night I stayed in Cheyenne, and on the way into town I saw a row of about 25 containers that had just been blown off of a flatbed train that was parked on a siding. Blown right off, onto the ground. Everybody I mentioned it to said that was no big deal.

Friday I drove up 25 to Casper, very scenic drive as the prairies turned to long rolling hills. Crossed the Platte, saw some big lakes, nice country. I was surprised to see scores of antelopes all over the place, often grazing within slingshot range of the road. (Besides antelopes, I also saw buffalo [fenced in], coyotes, mule deer and white tail deer in the state). This was right from the road. These critters didn't seem too worried, with so little traffic in the middle of wide open uninhabited country.

(There are also black bears and grizzlies, elk moose and wolves, but I didn't see them on this road trip. BTW, a common sentiment in Wyoming is "the only good wolf is a dead wolf." The wolves were forced on Wyoming by flatland enviros, they feel. The elk population is crashing, because of wolf predation of young elk, and this hurts elk hunting and the outfitting and guiding businesses.)

Since I reached Casper mid-morning, I drove up Casper Mountain for the views. There was deep snow above about 7,000 feet. Very beautiful, full of pines and aspens. I drove back to Casper by a roundabout route on a graded gravel road. This was my first (but not last) experience with being in a valley with 20 mile views in 360*, with no sign of people other than the dirt road I was on. Not a house, not a power pylon...nothing but mountains, badlands, hills and trees with a clear running stream down the middle.

I came back to Casper on SR220, and I stopped by the Platte where I saw some fellows fishing. They showed me the trout they just caught. What a beautiful spot in the world is all I could think. A few nice houses right on the river, but not a lot. After all, this was only 15 or so miles out of Casper.

In Casper I checked into the Parkway Plaza, where the WSSA was meeting the next day. I went for a run along the Platte (it runs right through town) and was quickly reminded that I was over a mile up. The Plaza had a jacuzzi, which was nice for recovering after my jog. It also had an indoor pool that I didn't try. The nicer places in Wyoiming, I was to find out, had jacuzzies and/or heated indoor pools.

Saturday was the meeting of the WSSA, and I spoke for about 45 minutes. All the while, snow was beginning to fall, and soon it was coming down like mad. In May! I was amazed, but all of the Wyomingites were totally casual about it. This was normal for Wyoming, I was to find out. Mark and I left about 3PM, he had voluneered to be my tour guide. By then there was about 6" of fresh snow, which meant about 4" of slush on SR 20. I drove with white knuckles toward Shoshone, where the snow turned to rain and the roads were more clear. Good thing too, because as we headed north toward Wind River Canyon, the wind was blowing sideways at 60+. Camping trailers were on their sides and so on. Again, I was advised this was typical Wyoming. There were giant whitecapped waves on Boysen Resevoir. The Wind River Canyon was spectacular, especially with a fresh covering of snow on the vertical rock walls which towered above us on both sides. Granite, pines and snow are just about too beautiful to describe, especially with the wild Bighorn River rushing down the middle.

We went through Thermopolis, but there wasn't a motel room available in town due to a basketball tournament, so we stayed in Worland. Sunday we drove through Greybull and west to Cody. Very interesting town, with the typical "Mainstreet USA" down the middle. Instead of shopping malls, most Wyoming towns have their businesses and restaurants etc on both sides of a main street, which is the place to meet and greet. I had a buffalo burger in Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel. This is a must stop for anyone visiting the state. It's all original decor from 1907, and you WILL feel Buffalo Bill's spirit throughout the place. Cody is also the place where I bought lots of t-shirts and Wyoming souveniers. It's touristy, but not in an unpleasant way. (BTW, guns are not "in the closet" in Wyoming. You see guns everywhere: in stores, vehicles, bumper stickers, public statues and so on. My favorite t-shirt says "Department of Homeland Security," with four cowboys toting Winchesters below that.)

For a change, the weather was terrific, about 75*, no wind, and blue skies. In fact, we had great weather for the rest of my stay in Wyoming, which after the tough first days made me appreciate them all the more. Everybody you saw outside was grinning, sort of on a Rocky Mountain High, from my perspective. I guess after a hard winter, the mild weather really makes folks naturally happy.

From Cody we took another road south (SR 120) through Meeteetse back to Thermopolis. Mark pointed out the local rifle and pistol range, only a few miles out of town. Actually, I think we saw public ranges outside of just about every town we passed. (All were at least 200 yards, minimum, and many were over 1,000 yards.) I would have missed many of them, but Mark, as president of the WSSA, knew them all, along with all of the gun shops in each town.

Again we went through the Wind River Canyon. Since the weather was nice, I stopped at every overlook and took about a 100 digital photos. This is really spectacular, a must-see on any visit to Wyoming. We then passed through Riverton, which was on the flat land by the Popo Agie river. (This is pronounced PopOzhee, I soon learned.)

We spent the night and the next AM in Lander, which was my favorite spot in Wyoming. Lander is at the foot of the Wind River Range. The highest spot in the state is Gannett Peak in the Wind River Range, at 13,800 feet. Standing in any intersection on Lander's main street, wearing a t-shirt in the sunshine, I could see snow-capped mountains in all 4 directions. Some were close, some were far away, but even in May you can see snowy ranges all around you. This is not unique to Lander, but for some reason the beauty just struck me there. Lander is the HQ for the National Outdoor Leadership School, and I don't think it was chosen at random. You can do world class hiking, rafting, kayaking, rock climbing, mountain climbing, hunting, fishing, horseback riding...

For skiing you have to drive to Jackson Hole, but everything else is literally right in your backyard. You can also ski near Lander, I mean it has huge snowy slopes in the near background, you just don't have ski lifts or ski resorts. For that, you must drive around the Wind River Range to Jackson. (I might be wrong about Jackson being closest, there might be a closer ski resort I don't know about.)

From "downtown" Lander, we drove up the Sink Hole Canyon. With snow-covered cliffs and mountains on both sides of the plowed road, it was just about as pretty as the Wind River Canyon, and the WRC is about the prettiest place I've seen in my life. The roaring Popo Agie River runs down this canyon, disappears into a hole at the base of a rocky cliff, and reappears 1/4 mile down stream on the other side of the road. The big spring snow melt was just beginning, and the Popo Agie River was a rapids; it will diminish as the snow disappears. In every direction, the natural beauty took my breath away: pines, apens, jagged granite slopes with snow in streaks... And the very cool town of Lander was only minutes away. This was a very special place to me.

After Lander, we drove across SR 287 to Muddy Gap and the Ferris Mountains, then down to Rawlins. This was over 100 miles with almost no sign of man. Just a high fast road with snow and sagebrush on both sides, surrounded by more mountains covered with snow. Spectacular. We made a brief stop at a famous gun shop in Rawlins, then went across I-80 to Laramie for our last night. Tuesday I dropped Mark off in Cheyenne, and then I returned the car at DIA.

All of Wyoming was beautiful, some places more than others. I didn't have time to visit Yellowstone (the roads were still closed for the winter anyway) or Jackson, so I know I missed some of the best parts of Wyoming. From what I saw, I liked Cody and Lander the most. Having a Wyoming native with me, I learned that water really limits the population growth potential of Wyoming, which is both good and bad. Only 500,000 people live in the state, compared to 5 million next door in Colorado. There are a million beautiful spots to live in Wyoming, but finding a good source of fresh water is a problem unless you choose to live in one of the existing towns. This means the state will never be over run by newcomers, in the way Colorado has been. It also means that would-be free staters have to do a lot of planning and homework before moving. If you want to live in God's Country, with amazing views all around, but 1/2 hour outside of Small Town USA, it can be done...but the water part must be carefully accounted for.

Now I'm a certified Warm Weather Weenie, living in NE Florida, but even I felt a strong pull. When it's 70* out, under a brilliant blue sky and you're breathing 100% pure mountain air, surrounded by snow capped mountains....it's very appealing. I found myself saying, "Winters would be worth it, to have this." In fact, there's an old Norwegian saying: "There is no bad weather, only bad clothes." Meaning: if you are well prepared, cold weather, snow and wind are not show-stoppers. Harsh winters and water difficulties are the price you will pay to live in one of the most beautiful and lightly populated places in America. These problems also mean you will never be invaded by hordes of flat-landers. A cold and dry state means that the sissies won't come.

So Wyoming is wide open for freedom-seeking kindred spirits. Just don't expect a 365 day picnic. Plan for 60mph winds trying to blow you off of a highway in a blizzard. That is cold harsh reality and there is no sugar coating it. Plan to be snowed in. Plan to miss events due to weather. Expect a major problem getting water to your perfect homestead or mini ranch. But if you are willing to pay that price, the payoff is worth a million dollars. It's still a state for rugged individualists and pioneers.

And for shooters....well it's a paradise. There are ranges near every town, and you can shoot on BLM land just about anywhere. If you want to shoot a 50 caliber ten minutes from your house in town, Wyoming is your place. Or if you want to hunt large game, it's all right there. If you want to be a "gun nut" not and not apologize to anybody for anything, you will be welcome in Wyoming.

If I wasn't such a warm weather weenie.....

If you enjoyed reading about "My Wyoming Road Trip, May 2007" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Larry Ashcraft
May 10, 2007, 11:49 AM
Great write up, thanks.

Don't tell me you missed the firearms museum in Cody. They're supposed to have the largest collection of Winchesters in the world. We've been wanting to get up that way for several years. Maybe this summer. Last time I was that far north in Wyoming was 1962, when I was 12 years old.

The wide open spaces get to you, don't they?

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately, my short schedule didn't allow me to stop at the museums in Cody. Everybody told me it could not all be seen even in one full day. I look forward to seeing the museums, as well as visiting Yellowstone NP, Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons on a future trip.

Pilgrim
May 10, 2007, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately, my short schedule didn't allow me to stop at the museums in Cody. Everybody told me it could not all be seen even in one full day.
Correct. When you pay for admission at the Buffalo Bill Museum, it is good for two days.

Pilgrim

jlbraun
May 10, 2007, 04:18 PM
Did you carry a sidearm while you were there?

glockman19
May 10, 2007, 05:16 PM
Good Read. Thank You. I love Wyoming as a kid I spent many summers/winters in Jackson skiing, camping and horseback riding. One of my best friends lives in Jackson and is Owner & Executive Chef of the Rendevous Bistro, former Executive Chef of Snake River Grill and cooked for both Presidents Clinton & Bush on many occasions. Voted the Best Restaraunt In Jackson. If you're there check it out. Great food, dining & service.

http://www.rendezvousbistro.net/

Hanzerik
May 10, 2007, 05:25 PM
Great Write-up. I know how you feel about the beauty and remoteness that can be had here in Wyoming. Even in the hills 20 miles west of Cheyenne you vary rarely see another person. The most people I have seen up there is during hunting season. I still want to head further West and North, but my Military schedule keeps me busy out in Nebraska. I have not been to the west side of Wyoming since the late 70s through the late 80s when I was a youngster on various RV vacations out of California with my parents. But I still have the memories of the Tetons, Yellowstone, and northern Montana/Canadian Rockies back there in my brain. Views like that you never totally forget.

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 06:14 PM
JLBraun: I flew into Denver, so I didn't pack, to save the hassle. But I wasn't worried at all, for one thing, except for a quick drive up I-25, I was in Wyoming. For another thing, I was with the president of the Wyoming State Shooting Association.......heh heh heh.

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 06:15 PM
Glockman19: I don't think I could afford to eat in a place that upscale! Sounds great though. Next time, I'll see the Tetons and Jackson for sure.

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 06:17 PM
Hanzerik: For sure you should make time for a road trip out to western Wyoming! It's only about 500 miles from one corner to the other of the state.

Larry Ashcraft
May 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
I don't think its all that much of a hassle at DIA. P95Carry flew into there last March and had his gun back on by the time they got to the car. He and his wife stayed at my daughter's house for the night, and then the next morning caught a flight to Tulsa for the gun show.

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 06:26 PM
I probably would have looked into it, if I didn't know I'd be hanging out with a professional gunslinger, LOL.

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 06:34 PM
FWIW, I both turned 50 years old, and received my first ever concealed carry license this year. In fact, my "Concealed Weapon and Firearm License" arrived in the mail from Tallahassee a few days ago while I was in Wyoming. So today was the first day ever that I legally wore a concealed pistol in public. Yahoo! I know this isn't a big deal for long-time "carriers," but it's a big deal to me, and a major reason I moved from Kali to NE Florida. An in case you're wondering, I was carrying a Kel-Tec P-11 inside the waist band at 4 oclock.

Dave P
May 10, 2007, 06:57 PM
Great story -thanks! Been many years since I have been there, but Wyoming is high on my list of places to move/retire to.

They do have a summer, don't they??

Iggy
May 10, 2007, 07:27 PM
Blabbermouth!!!:D ;)

Tell them more about the blizzards and the wind.

tell'm, come on, tell them about the cactus and the dust!!

Don't be tellin' them about them durned ol mountains up there in the fur corner of the state what's sittin' on that super volcano.... Jeez!!!!http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/5005/IGGY2/iggystorypix.jpg

Iggy
May 10, 2007, 07:52 PM
They do have a summer, don't they??

Yup, it came on a Thursday last year and they had a picnic. I had to work and missed it!!

Dienekes
May 10, 2007, 08:51 PM
I am in favor of the "buffalo commons" and more wolves. Anything that eats sheep can't be all bad. There are some nice areas--but rolling up the barbed wire and turning the clock back 150 years would be better yet!

For some reason we see quite a few NY state license plates out here in the summer. They always look a little disoriented.

But then I'd be pretty spooked in NYC, too.

Sodbuster
May 10, 2007, 09:09 PM
whitecapped waves on Boysen Resevoir

What, there's water in Boysen?! :eek: That's been unusual lately. Very nice write-up Travis. I lived in Jackson Hole for eight years, my sister and her family have lived in Lander for over 25 years. I miss Wyoming, but I get down there now and then. I know the hours add up when you're traveling across the state. From Lander, you'd need to drive up through Dubois and over Togwatee Pass for three hours to get to Jackson. The view of the Tetons as you come down the western side of the Winds is simply incredible. You do have to go to Jackson for downhill skiing, but you can cross country ski almost anywhere around there. Two commercial spots are Brooks Lake Lodge and Cowboy Village, both located just below the crest of Togwatee Pass on either side of the Divide. You had a good guide. Did you see the old war planes parked out on the field just outside Greybull?

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 09:52 PM
Iggy, I don't think you have to be worried about being over run by flatlanders. Beautiful or not, Wyoming ain't for sissies.

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 09:56 PM
Sodbuster,
Sure was water in the resevoir, miles of it. The waves were scary huge, a day for ripping the pontoon boats off of their moorings and tipping over RVs on the land. Next time, I'm going to do that great loop from Lander to Jackson all the way around. And I don't know how I missed the airplanes at Greybull, but we were just passing through.

cheygriz
May 10, 2007, 10:25 PM
Well, Travis, now you know why I live here!:neener:

The wind and the occassional blizzard are a small price to pay for the rest.:D

But if anyone comes here, we ask them "Did you come to join Wyoming, or to change it?"

If you like it THE WAY IT IS you will be welcomed as a new neighbor.:) :)

If you come here and immediately start whining about how much more "advanced" your "home state" was, you will quickly get invited to go back to wherever you came from!:fire:

We are 50 years behind the rest of the country socially, economically, politically and in almost every other way. AND WE LIKE IT THAT WAY!:p :D :p

We proudly proclaim to all, that "Wyoming is, what America was:evil: .":D

bdhawk
May 10, 2007, 10:35 PM
excellent report, i lived in cody for a couple of years. i have relatives that live in cody and worland.

cody used to have an execellent shootin' range just off the west cody strip. you drove by mountain man, jeramiha johnson's grave. i never have before or since met any nicer folks than at that range. it was not uncommon for them to ask if you would like to shoot their guns. i got to shoot 'bout everything from a galil to a flintlock. great folks there.

the erma is an excellent place to eat, outstanding prime rib.

there is a really cool irrigation system that was invisioned by bill cody, himself.

hunting and fishing are excellent. i have seen so many antelope, just a few miles outside of cody, that you had to be careful not to get more than one with one shot.

on the downside, when i was there the winters were brutal. water isn't the only reason the state has a sparce population. a great place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live there again.

the scenery there can be breathtaking. the trip to yellowstone park from cody is awesome. the shoshone river is beautiful with countless picture postcard views, all seasons.

dakotasin
May 10, 2007, 10:53 PM
"Winters would be worth it, to have this." In fact, there's an old Norwegian saying: "There is no bad weather, only bad clothes." Meaning: if you are well prepared, cold weather, snow and wind are not show-stoppers.

careful, there... i live in n.e. wyoming, and every day i run into people from michigan, wisconsin, minnesota, north dakota, and of course, points southern, who are leaving wyoming because of the winters... winter weather is serious, and not to be trifled w/. people really do still die every year due to the weather.

frenchwrench
May 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
My wife and I lived and worked all over Wyoming. But the best time we had was working for KJerstad Helicopters out of Jackson Hole. This was back in the early 80s. We took our kids through Yellowstone and down to Jackson about 5 years ago. We could barely recognize the town. It's huge!!! I miss the old days at the Cattleman Bar and the Elkhorn for steak and eggs at 2AM.
Plus it was nice to have a helicopter to see the country in.;)

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 11:03 PM
Cheygriz: I was very tempted to stay on, but for now I can't. If I ever make it to the big time, I'll look into a place in Wyoming.

BDHawk: I liked the fact that Bill Cody lost his hotel, named after his wild daughter ("high spiritied" is how they put it), in a hand of poker. You gotta love it!

Dakotasin: I'm sure you are correct. The taste of May I experienced was humbling. I can only imagine January. They say the first snow comes in late August, and it has snowed on the 4th of July. Lander gets over 100" of snow a year, and it's even colder in the east where the wind blows unimpeded.

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
Frenchwrench: I can't begin to imagine how amazing it would be to fly up Wyoming's valleys and canyons in a helicopter! It was breathtaking in a car.

Lew
May 10, 2007, 11:19 PM
You didn't even make it to Sheridan? Pfftt. You missed the best part. ;)

This is the second forum I frequent that has people talking about Wyoming, both today. The back of my mind is screaming "SHH!! Be quiet!! It's a SECRET!"

Travis McGee
May 10, 2007, 11:28 PM
Don't worry Lew, the outsiders might come and drop their cash in the coffers from May to September, but not many will stick around for winter. Your weather does an effective job of barring the weenies from full time relocation.

Str8Shooter
May 11, 2007, 01:43 AM
Here's a little sample of the Tetons in winter:

Sodbuster
May 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
Yup, Sheridan and Story are beautiful areas, Lew. I took my first CCW class ever through the Jackson PD and Teton County sheriff. They weren't CCW-friendly, they were extremely CCW-friendly. Great group of LEOs. Been a couple years (longer?) since I've seen Boysen, Travis, I guess they've had better run-off. If you make that loop trip, I'd sure head up to Dubois first, then over to Jackson and then down to Pinedale. You can enjoy that Teton view longer! Come up north back to Lander through South Pass City. Lots of people like the Pinedale area not for the town itself, but for how close it is to different points of interest. Nice pic, Str8Shooter.

CB900F
May 11, 2007, 09:13 AM
Travis;

Lucky you; you didn't experience anything except a good stiff breeze. I grew up & lived in Casper for quite a while. I have literally, no hyperbole whatsoever, seen breaking whitecaps in my toilet bowl from the wind. Entire roof structures have been pulled off of houses by the wind. And then let's talk wind chill.

There's skiing on Casper Mountain, Hogadon Basin ski area. I was an alpine instructor at the ski school there for 21 seasons. The lifts have wind halos on the towers so's the chairs won't hit the towers if it starts to blow. I've seen -38 absolute up there with a chill factor bringing it down to -138, figure it out.

Did you get out to the Stuckenhoff range? Hope you did, that just may be the nicest public range in the country.

Live in Wyoming, fish in Wyoming. Live in Colorado, stay in Colorado.

900F

TallPine
May 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
The nicest thing about Wyoming is that it puts a lot of distance between Montana and Colorado ;)

Dravur
May 11, 2007, 11:02 AM
You live in Gallatin Valley. You are in one of the nicest spots on earth. The only problem there now is the number of people who have moved into that valley. When I was young, it was a whole different place. Four Corners and Bozeman were not connected. There was open farmland between Belgrade and Bozeman. Springhill road was not overpopulated with Land Rovers.

I will be moving back there someday as we own land on the East Gallatin River but I dont know if I will like it as much.

Well, maybe Wyoming is the nicest place now...

oh, and if you want to get away from it all. Try north of Miles City MT. Whew. I felt like I was driving on the moon.

Pat McCoy
May 11, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yes, wyoming does have Summer, and much more of it the past few years than there used to be. I'll be moving north (Meagher County, MT) in two years becasue of the Summer in Lander.

Winters in parts of Wyoming may be tough, but the Lander Valley has been real mild the last few. 1978 was the worst Winter on record here, but it was nothing more than a "normal" Minnesota Winter ('78 was my second Winter here after moving from MN).

Boysen still has some water in the North end, but the casueway is now Boysen Meadows, as runoff has been so low for so long.

Wyoming has been a great place for over thirty years, but the growth and costs all over the state are starting to get out of control. I'll be going to a county about 2/3 size of Fremont County, but with 1900 residents in stead of 38000. May not be for everybody, but seclusion has it's benefits, I can always find people if I want them.

Travis McGee
May 11, 2007, 12:51 PM
CB900F: I drove up the Casper Mountain road for the views, and just kept going. I saw the ski area, but it closed April 1. There was about a foot of snow left in the woods on top. Then I drove back down the dirt road 505 and over to 220 to return. I didn't get a chance to stop and shoot on this trip, I was trying to see as much as possible in 4 days.

Zoomer
May 11, 2007, 01:36 PM
Had the distinct pleasure of being in Wyoming twice in my life. 1st time I hiked for a month in the Tetons/Yellowstone (Jenny Lake, Hermitage Point, all around Mt. Moran/Tetons and into Targee national forest). The 2nd time was primarily in Medicine Bow national forest on the southeast side of the state. I fished on the first trip and hunted on the second. As a New Yorker I can tell you that there is no more beautiful place on the face of the earth the the state of Wyoming. Cut-throats, and rainbow trout as large as your forearm and more game (Elk, moose, mulies, whitetails, marmonts, prarie dogs, antelope etc., etc.) than you could ever dare to shoot.

God was certainly having a banner day when he made that state.

PS - Montana and Idaho aren't too bad either...

Mat, not doormat
May 11, 2007, 04:18 PM
I've never made it further into WY than the interstate, but that can be treacherous enough. Wyoming weather really demands attention be paid it, or you must suffer the consequences. Every winter, I-80 turns into a graveyard of 18-wheelers, seems like.

~~~Mat

grampster
May 11, 2007, 06:31 PM
Travis,

You've got my heart achin' with your tale. My brother and I have made two road trips to Wyoming to just wander around, 1982 and 1994. Covered much of the ground you did plus the Tetons, Yellowstone and in '94 we followed the Green River up from the dam at the bottom of the Flaming Gorge up to where it starts in the Wind River Range outside Jackson. I recall the PopoAgee (sp?) when it goes under the road makes quite a detour before popping up on the other side of the road. A fella told my brother and I that a dye was put in the water and it took a long time to come out the other side. I don't remember how long, though.

Swmbo and I have been talking about going back. I'd like to show her around. Now you've just intensified that desire. Maybe we'll go mid June.

rangermonroe
May 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
Mrs ranger and I made a trip (our first) to Casper last February (06). -34 F.

I went back in October to hunt those little goat things that are everywhere.

I covered almost the same ground as you did Travis. Stopped in Thermop to do some swimming, on the 1st trip. That canyon is breathtaking indeed. Especially for guys from our neck of the woods. Tallest thing around here is an overpass.

I loved stopping to heed the call of nature, taking my time, and seeing no one in either direction. Kinda humbling when you think about it, slide your car in the ditch and it might be some time before someone comes along to help.

Did you notice that the folks were really nice there? I know that I did.

I'm going back in September to shoot some more tasty goats. Maybe buy some property too. :)

CZ-100
May 11, 2007, 06:55 PM
Boy Travis, your story sure brought back many good memories. As a kid, from '74-'82 I spent my summers hiking and camping in Wyoming with my uncle and cousin, great times.

mcneill
May 11, 2007, 09:20 PM
Travis - Great write-up. Wyoming and Montana are the prettiest places I've been. If you go back and visit Yellowstone and the Tetons, check out the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale. It's a very nice small museum - even have one of Jim Bridger's rifles.

One of the things that most impressed me in driving there was the lack of traffic. We would drive for 1 to 2 hours and not see another car. I asked one of the natives what happens if you have car trouble (this was before cell phones were so commonplace). "Aw, no problem. The first car to come along will stop to see if you need help."

Now, back to writing - I'm ready for Phil Carson and Bob Bullard to have at it.:D

Jim

Travis McGee
May 12, 2007, 09:52 AM
Grampster, we walked down through the snow on the trail to see the Popo Agie river flow into the cave, it was VERY dramatic! A sign up by the ranger station said when they put dye into the upper part, it took over 2 hours to come out 1/4 mile downstream on the other side. Quite a maze down there! No diver has ever tried it, the water is too swift and the channels to small.

44Brent
May 12, 2007, 01:10 PM
Travis, you don't need a concealed carry license in Wyoming unless you conceal your pistol. Wyoming is an unlicensed open carry state.

I was there a few days ago and carried openly with no problems at all in Cody. I was in a bank, a hospital, a Walmart, and a few other businesses. Nobody cares or complains.

Feral Cowboy
May 12, 2007, 01:31 PM
My wife and I visited Wyoming and Montana in '03 and '05, then I visited again in Oct '06 and February'07. Of course, my breath and my heart was taken away. It is the most beautiful, inspiring, and humbling place imaginable. I am amazed that their are folks who don't see God's hands in this "prettiest place I've seen in my life". I could never get it out of my mind.
My wife passed away a year and a half ago and she told me that I was to do all the things I had always wanted to do and if I wanted to move to Wyoming then I was to do it. Last Spring I camped my way to Wyoming and spent two months camping Wyoming and Montana. Did lots of fishing, hiking, kicking back against a boulder and looking, drinking in the fabulous scenes and the "big sky". In February of this year, after some soul searching I went back out (my son, d-i-l, and g'daughter live in Evanston) and committed to living out there. I found what I think is some great property (for me) outside of Kemmerer and since I couldn't really see it (about a foot of snow on it) I am going back out June 1 and look and likely buy somewhere around 10-35 acres.
I won't be in a hurry to build a cabin as I have some property situations here in Georgia to take care of, but build it I will.
BTW, the winters don't frighten me because I have been around some cold (Alaska for a few months in the Army) and I really look forward to the challenge. Can't hurt me.
Someone said that I shouldn't come if I want to change Wyoming. Well, no way in hell I would want to change that place. I really hope it changes me.
Wish me luck and come to see me about next summer.
Mike

Travis McGee
May 12, 2007, 07:02 PM
All of the replies on this thread are really quite humbling.

Clearly, I've stumbled across something very special that others also have found in this state.

There's something about this state...something magical. But it's guarded by a lack of easy water and harsh weather.

I think you have to EARN Wyoming.

cheygriz
May 12, 2007, 09:29 PM
I think you have to EARN Wyoming.

And after you have, and someone asks you: "Were it worth the trouble?"

You'll answer just like Jeremiah Johnson did: "Eh, what trouble?":p

hilljack22
May 14, 2007, 01:37 PM
I'll have to agree with everyone else; we went out to Wyoming around Cody 3 years ago for an antelope and mule deer hunt. Having always been around the midwest, I now understand what "Big Sky" means. Absolutely amazing!

(And yes, I'm still saving up to go hunting again...):D

Agent 006 &7/8
May 14, 2007, 02:20 PM
You didn't even make it to Sheridan? Pfftt. You missed the best part.

Lew!!! Hush!!!! :cuss:

Trust me folks Sheridan, Story and Buffalo are awful! The winters are long and brutal, 40 below, windy all of the time and the mountains are MILES away! Nothing to see here. Just head on over to Jackson and Yellowstone and just avoid the Big Goose valley entirely. :evil:

Actually Lew is correct, the Sheridan/Buffalo area is very pretty. Great hiking and fishing in the summers (Thursday July 17 last year :p ). Hunting in the fall (almost a State Hioliday here) Snowmobiling and crosscountry skiing the other 364 days. The town of Sheridan is at about 3700 feeet above sea level and the terrain rises to 8,000+ within 15 miles and is above 13,000 feet within about 30 miles. We have a Shooting club west of town which is open to the public for $5 per day with Skeet, Trap, 2 high power rifle, 2 dedicated pistol, a 25 yrd general, and black powder ranges with one 25yrd indoor range. Checking in for a flight at the Sheridan County Airport you might hear the female agents argueing over which is a better round for Elk. The local ranch supply shop has a good selection of guns. And the last time I ran into a G&F officer we ended up talking about our favourite pistols for about 30 minutes along side of the edge of upper Rapid Creek. For all but a few 'guns' is not a four letter word up here.

TallPine
May 14, 2007, 03:44 PM
I think you have to EARN Wyoming
When I first hired on to the old Double Diamond
I was a damn poor excuse for a man.
Never learned how to aim when the spirit was tame,
Couldn't see all the cards in my hand.
But the wind whipped the granite above me,
blew the tumbleweeds clean through my soul.

Well, I fought her mountains and I busted her horses,
and I took more than I thought I could stand.
But the battles with the mountains and cattle
seem to bring out the best in a man.
I guess a sailor, he needs the ocean, and a momma her babies to hold.
And I need the hills of Wyoming in the land of the buffalo.

Momybug
May 14, 2007, 04:14 PM
Nope. Wyoming is miserable. It's a terrible place to live. Ya'll just can't move here. Bad wind, deep snow in oh, MAY(yes it snowed in Casper last week, while I was gone) droughts, wolves and all those flatland enviros, too far between towns to be civilized. Nope, nothing here to see. Move along now.

can you tell I like my privacy? I just did a road trip from Wyo to Ohio and I've never been happier to see NO cars on the road, no trees to block my view, and all the freedom a man(okay-WOMAN) could want. I want no one else to come and stay. Visit, play, come up and see me some time, but head back home.

Grinning. You can come if you bring your guns to play in my backyard!

Heather in Wyoming

Curly
May 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
displaced because of employment requirements. I love Wyoming unconditionally because my roots are there. I'm content to visit as often as I can. They have terrific rodeos and county fairs in addition to the natural wonders of Yellowstone and Teton National Parks. The real charm though, as has been posted, is the rugged back-country where you can be very very alone except for the abundant wildlife.

txgho1911
May 14, 2007, 07:28 PM
I would realy like to spend a whole summer there. My wife and my job would never agree to that. I would not be allowed to stay and keep the wife.

Visited 15 years ago on a job at several medical offices and hospitals. Wish I could have just packed up and moved there or SD when I returned to TX.

Iggy
May 14, 2007, 07:38 PM
There ain't nuthin' in Wyoming but miles and miles of nuthin' but miles and miles.

Everthing in the state either sticks, stings, bites or kicks!!

dm1333
May 14, 2007, 07:46 PM
Travis,

I just transferred from California to Michigan. A friend of mine said my route looked more like an EKG since I went through OR, WA, OR again, ID, UT, AZ, NM, CO, NE, MN, WI and into the upper peninsula. 40 days of wandering and about 1000 digital pictures. If any of you (especially you guys in the military) get the chance to do this don't pass it up. I lived out of the back of my truck the whole time loved it!

Sodbuster
May 14, 2007, 08:45 PM
When I first hired on to the old Double Diamond

Sheesh, TallPine, do you know how old that song is? :eek: I oftentimes listened to The Starlite Ramblers sing it at Panama Red's in Ft. Collins CO.

The Double Diamond... up around Dubois, isn't it? Or it was, might have sold awhile ago.

TallPine
May 14, 2007, 10:01 PM
Sheesh, TallPine, do you know how old that song is?
Ian Tyson sings it on his Old Corrals and Sagebrush album, which was released in 1983 IIRC.

Travis McGee
May 14, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'm loving every comment on this thread. Pardon me if I don't reply to every one.

bearmgc
May 14, 2007, 10:49 PM
You probably passed right by my house when you came down to Lander. Yeah, I like the views just fine. And the huntin aint too shabby either.
Tonight we're promised rain. But they look more like snow clouds to me.

Acolyte
May 14, 2007, 11:31 PM
Didn't realize I had so many Wyoming neighbors. Thanks for bringing us out of the woodwork Travis! :D

Travis McGee
May 14, 2007, 11:49 PM
Bearmgc: I was very impressed with Lander. I stopped into the local gun store across the street from the Lander Bar, where I had a huge tasty lunch. Went up the Sinks Canyon, all snowy on both sides. Walked down the trail to the sink hole. I was totally impressed with the town. I plan to weave Lander into my next book. (That was the point of the road trip, to scout locations.) But really, I lenjoyed every bit of WY that I saw, and I haven't even seen Jackson, the Grand Tetons, or Yellowstone yet!

Acolyte: It was my pleasure. I never imagined this thread would go 3 pages, mostly by justifiably proud Wyomingites.

Momybug
May 15, 2007, 12:31 AM
Wyoming really is a fabulous place. I just want my family(parents) to keep thinking it's flat, bare, boring and dull. We live in the Platte River valley now and we love it. There's a little store in our town...best place in the world. It's got books, needlework and custom guns. I can't imagine any better place to raise my kids than this little town in thise wide open state.

Most of my aunts and uncles think that it MUSt be another country entirely and that you need a passport to come here. let's just keep them thinking that shall we?

heather

xpun8
May 15, 2007, 01:17 AM
Ah...Travis, your little journey through God's country really got my blood flowing. I grew up in Riverton, went to UofWyo, joined the Navy, met my wife, her mom threatened my life if I moved her to Wyoming. I've visited a few times since '89, every time it's harder to leave. I really enjoyed your write up, thanks. Next time you're up there plan on spending a week or so to take it all in.

I figure the folks we wouldn't want in WY don't frequent places like this. :rolleyes:

Boston T. Party
May 15, 2007, 02:09 AM
from Travis McGee:
I was very impressed with Lander. I stopped into the local gun store across the street from the Lander Bar, where I had a huge tasty lunch. Went up the Sinks Canyon, all snowy on both sides. Walked down the trail to the sink hole. I was totally impressed with the town. I plan to weave Lander into my next book.
Lander impressed me, too, years back.
It also got woven into Molôn Labé! (The Bradfords lived nearby.)
There's just something about that town...

Regarding a Wyoming handgun, Mark didn't loan you one?
I'll have to razz him about that!

Boston

http://www.javelinpress.com (Boston's books)
http://www.freestatewyoming.org (FSW website)
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php (FSW forum open to all)

flynlr
May 15, 2007, 03:41 AM
heck and I thought Wyoming was just Fireworks stores and cheap booze. :uhoh:

I do believe I will have a second look now. :cool:

DRZinn
May 15, 2007, 03:49 AM
Boston, I was just going to ask why Travis didn't meet you while he was up there!

Hold on, I'm a comin'. (Maybe not for a long while, but eventually.)

CB900F
May 15, 2007, 08:31 AM
Fella's;

The Diamond Ring was right across the road from the Buzzard Ranch, back when. I did summer work on the Buzzard when Ty Moore owned it. The Buzzard was 'bout 35 X 50 miles & the Diamond Ring was bigger! Cruisin' C.Y. Avenue in my new 69 Camaro, just outta the Army & full of p!ss & vinegar. Runnin' Buffalo, Worland, Greybull, Ranchester, Buffalo on the CB900F with friends who also had good bikes & knew how to ride 'em. Trucked the bikes up from Casper, ran the Bighorns & got back to Casper just before dark. Didn't waste any time, but saw a lotta sights. Just a day trip ya know. Havin' to ski Targhee a coupla extra days 'cause all the roads out were snowed in. Watchin' idjits jump into Corbett's & then doin' the Mushroom Chutes with the locals. Tubin' down Crazy Woman Creek. Fishin' & shootin' snakes on Deer Creek. Now there's an interesting afternoon.

Memories of Wyoming.

900F

Travis McGee
May 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
Boston, I never felt in the least bit of danger anywhere in WY.

The biggest danger is being blown off an icy road, and a pistol can't help there.

trailgator
May 15, 2007, 12:31 PM
This thread is really wrecking my patience! I'm heading to Encampment WY 5 weeks from today (not that I'm counting the days or anything). This will be my 3rd varmint hunt there. The late Larry Bullock from Buffer Technologies took me there the 1st time. He said, "You need to come along and shoot some prairie dogs. It's therapeutic." Man was he right. I had never travelled west, and when I saw the mountains, it took my breath away. The whole trip is great. Beautiful country, lots of wildlife, 3 days of varmint hunting, what could be better?

The Viking
May 15, 2007, 12:51 PM
Just added "Visist Wyoming" on my Things-to-do-list...
Maybe next year, if I get a green card :). Then I'll atleast visit and just be awed by the scenery.

bearmgc
May 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
Viking, Come on down, you'll love it.

Iggy
May 15, 2007, 02:04 PM
Dang, it don't seem like I'm doin' a bit of good tryin' to scare everbody off!!

Pay 'ttention dang it!!!:evil:

A little readin' material...;)
http://home.bresnan.net/~buflerchip/

The Viking
May 15, 2007, 02:24 PM
Viking, Come on down, you'll love it.
Just need that little green card first. I would cry if I came over as a tourist and then had to leave what seems like a small piece of heaven :(. And no, I ain't going to wetback until the next amnesty :o

Wyoming Shooter
May 16, 2007, 02:07 PM
Sir Travis - I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your trip to God's country. As for "earning" Wyoming, I couldn't have said it better myself. Best regards, ELN.

Joey
May 16, 2007, 04:05 PM
Great writeup, never even realized those train cars were blown off the tracks, it was just a nice little breeze that did it :p :p

Problem about living in the SE corner of Wyoming is all the Colorado transplants along with the other liberal transplants who want to live here, yet change things to how they were "back home" instead of adaption to the Wyoming way of life.

Somebody (saw a lady on her cell phone who looked rather scared, she pulled in, saw my pistol & then pulled out) called 911 on me once for open carrying a pistol while getting fuel at the Flying J in Cheyenne.

Hanzerik
May 16, 2007, 05:13 PM
Just need that little green card first. I would cry if I came over as a tourist and then had to leave what seems like a small piece of heaven . And no, I ain't going to wetback until the next amnesty

I was in Sweden (Goteburg) back in the summer of 2001 for about a month. Really nice country-side and nice people for the most part. Was nice to hang out downtown at the bars until the professional hippy protesters showed up in force to demonstrate President Bush and the others. They tore up the main street pretty bad, literally...cobblestone sidewalks, and caused a lot of trouble for the cops. Never did hear what happened to the cop who shot one of them for chucking a five plus pound stone at him.

Somebody (saw a lady on her cell phone who looked rather scared, she pulled in, saw my pistol & then pulled out) called 911 on me once for open carrying a pistol while getting fuel at the Flying J in Cheyenne.

A armed civilian right down the street a mile from my house... :eek: OMG. :D . Do you ever enter the store...do the employees give you a second look? I have not opened carried in Cheyenne yet, but do out on the prairie and up and the hills. Applied for my CWP back on the 6th.

Agent 006 &7/8
May 16, 2007, 05:19 PM
I was up hiking into the Big Horn Mountains to do a little flyfishing a couple of summers ago when I met a NYFD firefighter on the trail. During the conversation he notice (with a GASP and a point :what: ) that I had a 1911 on my right hip. He proceeded to tell me that guns were illegal in a National Forest, that I should take it off and store it in my truck back at the trailhead. I tried to explain that 1) this is Wyoming; 2) open carry is legal for all in Wyoming (permits required for concealed); 3) Guns are legal in National Forests; 5) Hunting is legal in National Forests thus guns; and 6) This is WYOMING! He repeated that guns were illegal and that I MUST disarm. I just smiled, waved and headed uptrail. Several hours later I was coming back out and ran into a G&F officer. After discussing how I'd faired with the trout (not bad) he asked, chuckling, if I'd run into a New Yorker earlier. I admitted that, yes, I had and asked what had happened. Apperently the NYC'er encountered the officer and informed him that "There's guy with a gun up the Lake Angeline trail!" The officer asked if I had threaten him, and after insuring that there were no criminal actions he tried, in vain, to explain that in Wyoming carring a gun is legal, ethical, moral, and expected. That guns are about a plentiful as hiking boots, cowboy hats and pickup trucks. They went back and forth for a while about the legal status of armed citizens to no avail. Finally the NYC'er threw his hands up and said, "I can't believe this crazy state, I'm going home where is safe!" :eek: Boy, did we get a hugh laugh out of THAT statement!

Joey
May 16, 2007, 05:30 PM
A armed civilian right down the street a mile from my house... OMG. . Do you ever enter the store...do the employees give you a second look? I have not opened carried in Cheyenne yet, but do out on the prairie and up and the hills. Applied for my CWP back on the 6th.

Well, technically speaking I was not a "civilian" since I was active duty at the time :neener:

Never entered the store, just filled up the truck & left after waving to the SO when he pulled up and gave me the once over :p :p BEfore I retired and got busy I was a member of the local SASS club & ya should have seen the looks I got walking down the street dressed in 1880 style garb & armed with 2 Ruger Vaquero's :D

Had been shooting at the rage that was once behind where the Love's truck stop now is. Wonder how many people would have had a heart attack if they knew there was a small range right alongside I25 :p :p

My CCW took about 95 days even though the state statue says 90 days max., but since we had PCS'd from Minot and WY honors ND's CCW I was still legal :D :D :D

bl4ckd0g
May 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
I'm getting worried that Wyoming is starting to be overrun by front range liberals from the Denver and Boulder area. Wyoming seems to have a healthy job market, still a somewhat reasonable real estate market, and the young kids still address you as "sir" or "ma'am" and act usually act politely.

I am listing my home for sale in Casper, but I am certainly not moving out of Wyoming (I could be convinced to move to UT, MT or the Dakotas, but screw CO.)

Besides, I'd like more free range brass to pick up at Coal Mountain.

Joey
May 16, 2007, 05:39 PM
Agent 006 &7/8, we (wife, kids and I) were up in Buffalo couple years back walking around the Wagonbox battle grounds.

Ran across a older couple from Canada (same town as the wife is from) and they about had a hear attack as I was open carrying a 1911 in a Blade Tech holster. She had to explain it to them several times that I was not a LEO, but just a gun owner legally carying a pistol.

Finally the only way she could get them to understand was by saying "he's just a American living in a Cowboy state and reliving his Cowboy childhood" :p :p :p :p :p

Couple months ago we were back up in Sheridan for a kids state bowling tournament & I was carrying a Sig 239 openly when out in the Big Horns & nobody said a word or looked at me sideways. However, I'd wager ya there were quite a few people in the bowling alley who were shepple and would have not been happy knowing a "gun nut" was packing a pistol around thier children.

Hanzerik
May 16, 2007, 05:46 PM
Well, technically speaking I was not a "civilian" since I was active duty at the time

Never entered the store, just filled up the truck & left after waving to the SO when he pulled up and gave me the once over BEfore I retired and got busy I was a member of the local SASS club & ya should have seen the looks I got walking down the street dressed in 1880 style garb & armed with 2 Ruger Vaquero's

Had been shooting at the rage that was once behind where the Love's truck stop now is. Wonder how many people would have had a heart attack if they knew there was a small range right alongside I25

My CCW took about 95 days even though the state statue says 90 days max., but since we had PCS'd from Minot and WY honors ND's CCW I was still legal.

Missilier, Maint, or FM?...I'm an FM at India, just got here from Fort Dix, New Jersey after PCS'ing last June. Was so happy to leave that place and get back out west. I was up at Ellsworth AFB SD from 93-95 (Loved it), after that I went to the UK and then on to NJ...11 and a half years of hell living in Un-Friendly Gun countries/states. But I think I'm home now.

Joey
May 16, 2007, 05:55 PM
Missilier, Maint, or FM?...I'm an FM at India, just got here from Fort Dix, New Jersey after PCS'ing last June. Was so happy to leave that place and get back out west. I was up at Ellsworth SD from 93-95 (Loved it), after that I went to the UK and then on to NJ...11 and a half years of hell living in Un-Friendly Gun countries/states. But I think I'm home now.

None of the above, but close :p :p :p

Was a FSC and a Flight Sgt in the 319th and then the 400th before retiring.

Went from Offutt to Kadena & then up to Minot and here. For some strange reason I could never get away from the midwest no matter how hard I tried :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :p :p :p

Hanzerik
May 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
Hehe, I saw that you went from Minot to Warren and figured you were in one of those jobs where you only have a few choices of bases.

Joey
May 16, 2007, 06:02 PM
PRP was a wonderful thing :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: (to get away from) :D :D :D :D :D

Joey
May 16, 2007, 06:09 PM
Were you Phoenix Readiness out at Dix?????

Texshooter
May 16, 2007, 07:19 PM
I would love to visit that great state someday, God willing.

Hanzerik
May 16, 2007, 07:42 PM
Were you Phoenix Readiness out at Dix?????

Yes, I was an Instructor for Phoenix Readiness from 2002-2003 when they canceled it, then moved on to Eagle Flag, Contingency Skills Training, Convoy Operations, and Phoenix Raven. And no I'm not a cop, but us TALCE guys were some of the few that loved to help the cops teach their courses.

I was a TALCE guy on McGuire for 3.5 years before moving over to Instruct.

Video of last PR course we taught from a TALCE perspective. (http://hanzerik.sh.nu/downloads/PR-LOW.wmv)
Just the Fire Power Demo From Last PR (http://hanzerik.sh.nu/downloads/PR-FIREPOWER-DEMO.wmv)

If you follow the links (http://hanzerik.sh.nu/downloads/), I have some more videos from a few hours before the fire power demo when we were doing foreign weapons familiarization.

Sodbuster
May 16, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'm heading to Encampment WY

I hate to keep saying this. But... that's a nice area. :) Encampment, Saratoga, Woods Landing, all very nice. Years and years ago there was a tavern called the Mangy Moose in Riverside, don't know if it's still around. There were some nice backroads that crisscrossed the WY-CO border north of Steamboat amd Walden CO. Maybe you've been on them, Trailgator.

Agent 006 & 7/8 Good thing the NYFD didn't try a citizen's arrest! :D

Joey
May 16, 2007, 09:30 PM
Some of the best "high speed" guys in the AF were from other career fields, but loved to get down and dirty. Those are some cool vids, with we had the chance to video Crow Valley in the PI.

Sidebar: is the cadre wearing the blackhawk H harness with the camel back pouch??? I had one for years & loved it. Went to a SOE vest, but the powers that were hated it and would not let me use it until I was out in the field. They also were dead set against my Safariland 6004 drop holster, but relented when I had em convinced it was issued equipment.

Sorry to see ya stuck out in the field as a FM, that's not exactly a high speed kind of job. I personally hated the complex, but for family life it was worth staying in the complex instead of going to Korea. Got to admit, Wyoming is not exactly what we had pictured when we moved down here, but it's now home & we have adapted to the Wyoming way of life and love living here. For raising a family it's a great place & the VA hospital is wicked outstanding & ya could not ask for a better VA hospital.

We were camping out past Encampment few years back on Battle MT and a black bear came wandering into camp, good thing the food was at one end & we were at the other :p Also got stuck in "rush hour traffic" as a sheep herder was moving his herd down the highway, but it was cool.

Saratoga has the free hot springs, it's a fun motorcycle ride & then ya can soak in em all day & then get a superb meal and some cold beer at the old hotel in town :D Course then ya have to make a side trip to Waldon & have another cold beer or two :rolleyes: :)

Hanzerik
May 16, 2007, 10:55 PM
Sorry for the Sidebar conversation fellas, just chatting away here with a fellow Wyomingite

Sidebar: is the cadre wearing the Blackhawk H harness with the camel back pouch???
Yes we were issued H-Harnesses, and I still have mine with some of the other gear. Has been one of a few units that has stuck to the "Wear it in the field, get it dirty and it's yours" mentality. Most of our gear had to be replaced every so often because we wore it so much. We did get some other "Gucci" gear that we were allowed to keep; Benchmade autos, Oakley Shooting sets.

Sorry to see ya stuck out in the field as a FM, that's not exactly a high speed kind of job.
Ya, it was a big change, but I like the job and it's pretty good on the family life when our schedules are squared away, 3 on 5 off. I just need to get used to working with the younger cops and officers. Last 8.5 years I very rarely worked with anyone below E-5, and my Commanders were O-6s through O-8s. It was not big deal for me to brief a auditorium at HQ AMC or Fort Dix full of E-5 through O-6's on Air Force doctrine, but trying to get these youngsters to clean the bathrooms and take out the trash is driving me crazy.

I personally hated the complex, but for family life it was worth staying in the complex instead of going to Korea. Got to admit, Wyoming is not exactly what we had pictured when we moved down here, but it's now home & we have adapted to the Wyoming way of life and love living here. For raising a family it's a great place & the VA hospital is wicked outstanding & ya could not ask for a better VA hospital.

I didn't want to leave it up to AMC to pick my next duty location so I volunteered for FM duty. I hadn't touched an Aircraft since 98 and didn't want to go back to the flightline this close to retirement. I feel the same way, I can retire next year at 20...but whether I stay in or get out, I'm calling Wyoming home.

Joey
May 16, 2007, 11:00 PM
but trying to get these youngsters to clean the bathrooms and take out the trash is driving me crazy.

Somethings never change :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Viking
May 17, 2007, 12:56 AM
Hanzerik: AFAIK, the court ruled it to be justified. The guy should be happy that the police used FMJ's back then...now they use Gold Dots. I remember those riots. I was working (had my first job during the summer that year :)). Thus, I didn't have time to protest against this and that, unlike all the middle class revolutionaries. Now I'm glad I didn't have time.

Iggy
May 17, 2007, 06:42 AM
Hanzerik & Joey,

Looks like we need to start the Wyoming Chapter of THR.

I'm in Cheyenne too. P-1,2,10 were on the ranch where I grew up.
I now run between ranches at Meriden, Chugwater, and Rock River.

Hanzerik
May 17, 2007, 08:07 AM
Hanzerik: AFAIK, the court ruled it to be justified. The guy should be happy that the police used FMJ's back then...now they use Gold Dots. I remember those riots. I was working (had my first job during the summer that year ). Thus, I didn't have time to protest against this and that, unlike all the middle class revolutionaries. Now I'm glad I didn't have time.

That’s good news.

Hanzerik & Joey,

Looks like we need to start the Wyoming Chapter of THR.

I'm in Cheyenne too. P-1,2,10 were on the ranch where I grew up.
I now run between ranches at Meriden, Chugwater, and Rock River.

Sounds good to me.
Got any PD you need thinned out on your range?

Joey
May 17, 2007, 10:46 AM
Ahhhh yes, I've worked the Papa flight area many a time & was once able to get around back there without getting lost :p:p:p The old Quebec flight area is just South of Chugwater and I've worked that along with when I was on the VFD we went up there for a couple structure fires & that HUGE grass fire a couple years ago.

Was told about the old Atlas site up past Meriden & spent a couple hours poking around on it several years ago. Shame how it's been vandalized.

We really like the old west history of the area, that's part of the Wyoming experience I'd have to say!!!

Loots to see and do round these parts ifin ya just look.

trailgator
May 17, 2007, 02:57 PM
oops! double post

trailgator
May 17, 2007, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE]Encampment, Saratoga, Woods Landing, all very nice. Years and years ago there was a tavern called the Mangy Moose in Riverside, don't know if it's still around. There were some nice backroads that crisscrossed the WY-CO border north of Steamboat amd Walden CO. Maybe you've been on them, Trailgator.[QUOTE]

The tavern is still there. We shoot on the Silver Spur Ranch between encampment and Riverside. It's 50000 acres at last count, and surrounded by BLM land. Or, as I refer to it, HEAVEN! :D

Dr.Rob
May 17, 2007, 04:15 PM
I'm getting worried that Wyoming is starting to be overrun by front range liberals from the Denver and Boulder area

I swear I only come up to hunt!

Wyoming is a gorgeous place, but if you don't like the wind, stay home.

Agent 006 &7/8
May 17, 2007, 04:33 PM
"I'm getting worried that Wyoming is starting to be overrun by front range liberals"

Ah, don't you remember the Pace Salsa ad where one cowboy says' "Get a rope."??

Exactly where do you think they got that idea? "Oh, you're from Boulder and would like a double latte? Hey, Charlie... get a rope!!" :D

bl4ckd0g
May 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
Keep in mind that my only internet access is either in the Natrona County Public Library, or the Metro Coffee House.

I doubt many Boulder-ites will move this far north due to the wind and harsh summers ruining their backyard marijuana crops. Perhaps the vegans of the bunch would make decent "beef" jerky.

Iggy
May 17, 2007, 07:01 PM
Hanzerik, We got a few at Medicine Bow. Three big name gun guys went up there for a week.. They had a suburban full of guns and a U-haul trailer full of ammo.. They ran out of ammo, killed so many PD's that the coyotes, hawks and eagles couldn't clean them all up. We didn't notice decrease in the numbers.

Joey, After that base at Meriden was abandoned, about 50 hippies moved in there. There has always been a big mystery about how it happened, but one night about a 100 rattlers decided they wanted to live there too.. They all crawled down a vent pipe. The hippies decided the snakes wanted the place more than they did....;)

Always wondered about that!!:evil:

Chuhhuniban
May 17, 2007, 07:31 PM
To begin with, great write up. Wyoming deserves it and more. I love the "oh my God, the winters are rough" comments. There's a current thread going about a guy (I guess a guy, maybe not though) who wants to leave Connecticut and move to Arizona. That one has the complementary "oh my God, the summers are rough" comments.

Eugene Manlove Rhodes, the finest Western writer who ever lived (it's my opinion, I'm stickin' to it, don't bother to argue) noted in one of his stories that, "if the Pilgrims and the Jamestown folks had landed at Santa Barbara, everything north and east of Missouri would be an undeveloped wilderness." Who would go there? And why?

flynlr
May 18, 2007, 04:39 AM
joey, After that base at Meriden was abandoned, about 50 hippies moved in there. There has always been a big mystery about how it happened, but one night about a 100 rattlers decided they wanted to live there too.. They all crawled down a vent pipe. The hippies decided the snakes wanted the place more than they did....

someone owes me some beer. I lost a mouthful on my monitor. :D

Battlespace
May 18, 2007, 05:46 AM
Travis -

I sure miss the wide open spaces of my native state. I was born and reared between Cheyenne and Casper. Lived in Wheatland for 19 years and then dad and mom moved to Casper. I enlisted in the Army soon after and have only been back to visit since. Dad and mom are now both with God, but I still like to get back there for a once a year trip.

I was last there in November 2006 and things have sure changed. What you saw and what I remember are almost two seperate worlds. I can remember driving the 180 miles (each way) to Denver for a Sturday afternoon of shopping. I remember I-25 going in. Did you notice the power plant outside of Wheatland? IMHO it was one of the worst things to happen to the community. The population soared from 2350 to 10,000 and then back to 2450 in a matter of a couple of years. With it came all the crime, etc.

So much for my bitter sweet. I would say 99% of what I remember are great. I remember my dad taking three or four or five of us up in to the mountains on a Saturday, dropping us off with sleeping bags, a tent (maybe), fishing gear and a .22 rifle or two. He would tell us to be careful and that he would be back Sunday. We would live on Coke, potato chips and brook trout. Maybe plink at chipmonks and have a great time.

One fall when I could "legally" drive a couple of us were heading out for a deer hunt. We saw a couple of guys sitting on rocks in the middle of a pasture. They were "out of staters" and had been told by the rancher who leased the land that they would get a deer there. There weren't deer within miles! We all knew where each mulie within 50 miles lived. We told them to follow us and took them to a nice little valley, we never hunted there as it was too pretty to spoil, but we figured to help them out. Within an hour they both had nice bucks, I am sorry I don't remember the size, and were headed back to town.

We never worried about getting a deer on opening day as we knew where to go. I don't remember my dad ever not getting a deer. We were there when the pronghorn poulation dwindled and hunting was restricted, but even then, we had antelope (we called them goats) in the freezer every year.

We constantly had more fish than we could eat, and in the fall there were pheasnts and then winter led to ducks and a goose or two. One of my buddies and I killed more ducks in one afternoon than we should have and dad made us stay up and pluck and dress each and every one, wrap them and get them in the freezer. Then he would not let us hunt again until we gave them away to get our possession limit back to legal. It seemed like my relatives ate lots of duck that winter.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share. If you are the same Travis McGee, we miss you on FR. I don't post there often any more, but lurk around. You knew me as SLB.

schloe
May 18, 2007, 10:22 AM
Stop hating on Colorado, you're just jealous. :) I would consider living there if I didn't enjoy civilization and I didn't need to work.

I like Wyoming, but seriously, why is it so freakin' windy? I've been up there probably 10 times in my life, all over the state, and every time it is just miserably windy.

Iggy
May 18, 2007, 11:27 AM
Re: Windy Wyoming.. That wind in Wyoming is gonna solve a portion of Colorado's recently enacted green power requirements. :)

It also diverts the Denver brown cloud, that hangs in under the front range, east at the state line and sends it to Nebraska and Kansas.:evil:

You can always tell a Wyomingite down in Ft. Collins or Denver. He's the guy walking with a 45 degree list!!:rolleyes:

Then there is the theory that the wind doesn't blow in Wyoming, Nebraska sucks!:D

Sorry Nebraska, the devil made me do it!!:o

Battlespace
May 18, 2007, 11:59 AM
I moved from Wyomng 38 years ago and still have a 45 degree list to the right.

Joey
May 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
Had to pick myself up off the floor after reading that, would have loved to have been a fly on the wall :D:D:D:D

After that base at Meriden was abandoned, about 50 hippies moved in there. There has always been a big mystery about how it happened, but one night about a 100 rattlers decided they wanted to live there too.. They all crawled down a vent pipe. The hippies decided the snakes wanted the place more than they did....

Always wondered about that!!

sacp81170a
May 18, 2007, 12:56 PM
I like Wyoming, but seriously, why is it so freakin' windy?

If you must know, it's because the other states around it suck. :evil:

(Just jokin'... except to all the greenies)

I was stationed at good ol' F.E. Burn 'em back in the 80's, with a couple years overseas for GLCM over in Belgium. Worked for the Dept. of Admin and Info, State Engineer's Office and the Wyoming Supreme Court as a computer geek until '97, when I moved back down here to Arkansas(family stuff). I'm goin' back as soon as I get my financial affairs in order. Man, I can hardly wait. :D:D

langenc
May 18, 2007, 01:06 PM
Recall tryng to have a picnic at Osage some years ago. Had to hold the paper plate on the table with one hand and try to hold the chips on the plate with the other.

Iggy
May 18, 2007, 01:06 PM
Had to pick myself up off the floor after reading that, would have loved to have been a fly on the wall

I know nuthing!!!:rolleyes:

Hanzerik
May 18, 2007, 01:11 PM
The wind wasn't too strong this morning, but it did make the upwind leg of my Physical Fitness Test run a pain.

I was worried about this test as it was my first since arriving in WY, I tested last year before I moved from NJ because I knew I wouldn't pass due to acclimation. And this year they are changing the USAF enlisted performance reports to add PT scores. you fail, you get a referral EPR (For those that are familiar with the EPR system know this hurts you really bad for promotions).

xdoctor
May 18, 2007, 02:53 PM
I live in Casper, Wyoming. Due to an ongoing feud I have with my boss letting me have Saturdays off, I don't belong to the WSSA.

Interesting point of fact though, the OP mentioned he was surprised to see antelope. 90% of the world's pronghorn antelope population is within 100 miles of Casper, Wyoming.

Also, please from now on write something bad in the review like 'and then I was raped by a polar bear while a jackalope held me down and emptied my wallet.' Otherwise we get too many people migrating here. :D

Joey
May 18, 2007, 03:30 PM
The wind wasn't too strong this morning, but it did make the upwind leg of my Physical Fitness Test run a pain.

I was worried about this test as it was my first since arriving in WY, I tested last year before I moved from NJ because I knew I wouldn't pass due to acclimation. And this year they are changing the USAF enlisted performance reports to add PT scores. you fail, you get a referral EPR (For those that are familiar with the EPR system know this hurts you really bad for promotions).

What a crock of pooo pooo, till the AF pulls their head out of their buttox and goes to an Army style PT test and mandates PT as a minimum 3 times a week in formation like the Army they are going to have problems. I've always said the AF needed to mandate a PT program, not a "run" or a "war fit" program that was worthless (mandatory basketball, or softball as an example) & set lots of people up to fail, but a real PT program that mimicked the Army's program with set exercises & such.

Putting your PT score in your EPR is like back in the old days when they had a block about belonging to the club, you could not get a 9 if you were not a member of the club.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! the more things change, the more they stay the same:fire::fire:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread :D:p:p

Battlespace
May 18, 2007, 06:01 PM
Does the Air Force do PT? Go ARMY!

Travis McGee
May 18, 2007, 06:09 PM
Battlespace/SLB
Wow, your post simply blows me away. Yes, I'm the TM from FR. Now I post a lot on libertypost.org.

You must have had the best Dad EVER. I really envy your upbringing, realizing it was not all campouts and hunting. Guiding the city hunters to their deer, great moment.

I am in awe that this simple road trip to Wyoming post has gone to 5 pages of replies. Clearly, I have accidentally tapped into something of real value, something magical. I have got to go back, and I will.

Travis McGee/Matt Bracken

Travis McGee
May 18, 2007, 06:13 PM
Xdoctor: Don't worry about too many folks migrating to WY. They can't handle it. If they come in the summer and just drop a lot of money, I don't see the downside. If they can hack the winters, they'll earn their right to stay.

Hanzerik
May 18, 2007, 08:36 PM
Xdoctor: Don't worry about too many folks migrating to WY. They can't handle it. If they come in the summer and just drop a lot of money, I don't see the downside. If they can hack the winters, they'll earn their right to stay.

True, I live just down the street from the truck stops there on I-25 in Cheyenne. Lots of weekend traffic (Camper trailers), and out of state plates heading north and west for the weekend. Sunday afternoon they'll all be heading back south and east.

Joey
May 18, 2007, 10:04 PM
True, I live just down the street from the truck stops there on I-25 in Cheyenne. Lots of weekend traffic (Camper trailers), and out of state plates heading north and west for the weekend. Sunday afternoon they'll all be heading back south and east.

I hate all the traffic & Greenies flying North on 25 at warp speed for the weekend, ya would think they would stay in Colorado, but nooooooo they have got to make a trek to Wyoming for some reason :D:D:D

Need to put diesel in the truck, but no way in hades will I make it down to Love's till after the weekend.

sierrabravo45
May 18, 2007, 10:57 PM
Wyoming Sucks. I have heard Montana and Idaho are even worse places to live.

If anyone is thinking about moving I have heard Virginia and West Virginia are nice places to move to.

Travis McGee
May 18, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hanzerik: If you live near there, then you know I wasn't kidding about an long row of tractor trailer containers being blown right off of about 20 flatbed rail cars. I was pretty amazed. This was just on the way into Cheyenne, off of 25.

Joey
May 18, 2007, 11:39 PM
Hanzerik: If you live near there, then you know I wasn't kidding about an long row of tractor trailer containers being blown right off of about 20 flatbed rail cars. I was pretty amazed. This was just on the way into Cheyenne, off of 25.

Wife drove right past em less than 10 min after they were blown over going to the Taco Johns Events center & never gave it much thought :eek::eek:

We live off of I25 Exit 13 (Vandehei) and while it blew a tad, it was no big deal up here :p:p

Paper had an article about it the next day being a micro burst ifin I remember right.

Every now and again ya see a semi blown over on I80 or I25 & don't give much thought to it as the wind always seems to blow

sacp81170a
May 19, 2007, 09:26 AM
Bordeaux Road area on I-25 between Cheyenne and Wheatland is where I've seen the most semis at one time blown over. I was driving north on my way to the county court in Sheridan one fine breezy morning (sustained winds 80-85 mph, gust to 106). Passing through Chugwater I saw one semi that had just blown off on the east side of the northbound lane. Came around the corner there before the Bordeaux exit and saw 5 semis on their sides that were northbound and 6 in the median that had been southbound. :what:

I turned around and went back home. That wind off Laramie peak gets funneled down through the canyons and across the highway right there. I've also had tumbleweeds pass me doing 75 on my way back from Rawlins on I-80 in the Elk Mountain area. Funny, it always seemed to take about a half tank of gas to get to Rawlins, but only a quarter tank to get back. :D

Oh yeah, and I had a polar bear try to rape me while a jackalope went for my wallet, but the wind blew a rock that hit the polar bear in the head allowing me to escape. (Wouldn't want the riff-raff to migrate in, ya know...)

I'm Cheyenne bound in a couple more years. :D:D:D:D

(Hurricane? Nah, it's just a stiff breeze.)

Travis McGee
May 19, 2007, 09:52 AM
Those mountain "wind funnels" can be wicked. They make some very famous winds in the Pacific off of Mexico and Costa Rica in a few spots. The wind can go from 15 to 60 in a few minutes as you sail into a river of high wind, then it goes down again when (if) you sail out on the other side a few hours later.

CB900F
May 19, 2007, 01:15 PM
Fella's;

I wonder if any of those old bumper stickers are still around?

My favorite was: Casper Wyoming, Cast Iron Kite Flying Capitol Of The World.
Then: Wyoming Wind Festival, Jan 01 - Dec 31 annually

The Wind River is not named for the water. Find pictures of the flag trees & you'll see what it's named for. That wind river exits the mountains, flowing from NW to SE & spreads over the plains until it hits Casper Mountain at about a 45 degree angle. Then this huge mass of air just boils, that's about the only way I can describe it. The sound is like a high speed freight train & a 747 taking off combined. And it goes on for literally hours.

900F

sacp81170a
May 19, 2007, 03:01 PM
Cool guys, keep it up. The worse people think the weather is there, the fewer will want to move in, thus keeping Wyoming the low population paradise that it is. Hey, everybody reading this, Wyoming really does suck. Stay away, it's terrible. No, really.... :neener:

Hanzerik
May 19, 2007, 05:43 PM

Nope didn't see it. I was on duty out in Nebraska. But I have seen so many trucks, fences, trees, etc , etc blown over its not a big deal anymore. Just another thing you have to deal with if you decide to make Wyoming your home. Its not for everybody.

Joey, I should have sent you a PM to see if you wanted to go shooting. Had a nice day out with my youngest shooting the AR and XD. Banged up fingers and all. Kid was about to fold the bi-pod up and stick the rifle in the case...I told him no, it's still too hot. He didn't believe me so I had him touch the barrel...he won't do that again.

Some PICs (Tan) (http://hanzerik.sh.nu/gallery/?dir=%2FGun-Stuff%2FAR) and MOVIES (http://hanzerik.sh.nu/downloads/movies/AR-15/Tan/) from today.

Joey
May 19, 2007, 06:38 PM
Have yet to make it out to where ya shoot & check things out along with making a target stand of some kind.

Don't have any scoped AR's & I really need to sight in the EoTech & the other one has a 4moa holo sight on it. Have a Ceiner 22 adapter on order from Brownells & that's going to make it easier to shoot :D Been thinking about going down to Rocky Mountain Shooters Supply in Ft Collins N actually sighting in the 229 & 329.

Spent the day cleaning & buying B-Day stuff & once the rain blows over it's about time to throw a couple T bones on the grill :p:p:p

sacp81170a
May 19, 2007, 06:49 PM
I was on duty out in Nebraska.

Hanzerik and Joey:

I used to work the sites out in what was the 320th and 321st, Fox, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, and Oscar. We were the 89th MSS then and I worked Flights 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 over the course of my time at F.E. I have no idea how it's organized now since SAC went away and was replaced by the Space Command. I worked my way up to assistant Flight Chief, and I know exactly what you're talkin' about trying to get the kids to clean up and pick up the trash. Had some good and not so good times out there...

(Nukes have permanently thrown my ideas of firepower out of kilter. :evil: Sometimes I wish we had another Curtis LeMay in the Pentagon. It'd make the T's a little bit more afraid of us.)

RancidSumo
August 25, 2007, 01:53 AM
I was trying to find a diferent thread but found this one instead and couldn't resist. You were about 30min away from my grandparents house when you stayed in Worland. They live outside of Ten Sleep and have enough land that if I want, I have at least a 1000yd shooting range at their house. The wind really does suck though, where I live the wind blew the trees out of the ground and onto the railroad tracks. I am not talking little trees either. I guess I didn't realize how many people on here are from Wyoming.

Tokugawa
August 25, 2007, 02:46 PM
My wife and I just got back from a 2800 mile motorcycle trip through WA, ID, MT and Wyoming. We camped at a little general store/RV park along the Clarks Fork river, on the Chief Joesph highway, and took a bunch of day rides around the area. What lovely country!

We are looking for a place to relocate and run a small biz ( we manufacture and ship custom wood products, and do not need a local market.) Seems the local real estate market is a bit topsy -turvy- A small home in Cody is real reasonable, some of the commercial/industrial land is dirt cheap, and the range land with a view is big big money, apparently the folk who grew up watching "Rawhide" on TV in LA have retired and want a trophy ranch of their own. Funny, I see a lot of them up for sale with a new home on them, apparently people get a new perspective after a few months of snow.

One thing I really loved about Montana and Wyoming was that every little town seemed to be having a raffle to benefit the Senior Center or the Sportsman Assn. or Historical society, etc. - And the first prize was always a rifle of some sort!

Great thread, I love hearing about Wyoming from the residents!

If you enjoyed reading about "My Wyoming Road Trip, May 2007" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!