How do you keep your gun?

PDA

KGod
May 10, 2007, 02:50 PM
For home protection how do you store you firearm?

Right now i have mine in a case in the closet with 2 clips ready to bust hyrdashocks. The guns are unloaded, none in the chamber, no magazine inserted. High in the closet, we have no small children.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you keep your gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
May 10, 2007, 02:52 PM
For me, it's firearms. Next to my bed, loaded with extra ammo, fire extinguisher, cell phone, vest and bandages to stuff in holes.

romma
May 10, 2007, 02:56 PM
For Home protection, I wear my handgun a good portion of the time concealed (we have children). At night, handgun concealed right next to bed out of sight of children... All the time day or night Floor safe with AR-15 locked and loaded, in safe mode... 2 other loaded handguns ready to go in safe also...

strat81
May 10, 2007, 02:59 PM
My CCW Glock is always loaded and ready - it resides in the nightstand when I'm not wearing it. Also in the nightstand is a Taurus 24/7 with charged magazines, but not loaded in the gun. Fiance's rules.

Cell phone, landline, flashlight, and an extra 100 rounds of ammo are also on/in the nightstand.

WeThePeople
May 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
Militarily speaking, my gun is in my pants!

JohnRov
May 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
I just bought a single handgun safe with the finger keypad (not the fingerprint). I am going to build a little stand so it is easy to reach by the bed.

mdao
May 10, 2007, 03:01 PM
AR-15 and 1911 locked and loaded under the bed. Cell, flashlight, towels and duct tape next to them.

Jorg Nysgerrig
May 10, 2007, 03:04 PM
in a case in the closet with 2 clips ready to bust hyrdashocks.

In a case high in the closet unloaded with no mag is "ready to bust hyrdrashocks(sic)"? Let's just say I keep things in a more practical state of readiness.

Fish Miner
May 10, 2007, 03:06 PM
Shotgun in homemade rack behind nightstand (which is made of tree branches and is about 6'or so tall) You could walk right by it and miss it- it is loaded with alternating buck shot/slug

and a .40 tucked in the bed frame up by my head- holstered and ready to rock.

The others and extra ammo are in the closet where the wife will go to hunker down and call the cops.

rocket lad
May 10, 2007, 03:09 PM
XD .45 at my computer desk whenever I'm home (I'm always on the computer). Everything else in various other places, locked/loaded/safe.

B. Adams
May 10, 2007, 03:09 PM
All my defensive guns are loaded pretty much all the time, 2 handguns have one in the chamber and 2 18" shotguns have the hammer down on an empty chamber. Both handguns are on/in my nightstand, one shotgun is right by the bed, the other is in the safe.

My "SHTF" guns, if you want to call them that, are empty in the safe, several loaded mags in ammo boxes nearby.

Range guns and hunting guns I keep unloaded in the safe, sometimes spare mags are loaded if they didn't get emptied on the last range trip.

No kids, very few visitors, one girlfriend (although I've been hoping for a couple more.) ;)

KGod
May 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
ok i'll keep mine loaded and ready to go at all times then. Thanks!

Geronimo45
May 10, 2007, 03:22 PM
1911 next to the bed. Mag loaded, chamber empty - I move around a lot while asleep. Don't want to wake up to a gunshot.

TexasP226
May 10, 2007, 03:24 PM
I recently switched my home defense pistol from an HK USPc .45 to a Sig P220. I have a Streamloight TLR-1 on it. I keep it in the night stand with a full mag plus one in the chamber, decocked, and two loaded magazines next to it.

dasmi
May 10, 2007, 03:25 PM
KGod, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally, my shotgun is loaded, empty chamber, Makarov is loaded and chambered, and the 2 inch S&W M&P is loaded as well.

Lennyjoe
May 10, 2007, 03:30 PM
G20 fully loaded, one in the chamber, tac light on the rail sitting in a discrete location easily available to me.

ZeSpectre
May 10, 2007, 03:52 PM
small gunsafe near bed. At bedtime it's open with ready to run XD-40 sitting inside. When I'm not present it's locked.

KGod
May 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
Ok both pistols are loaded, 1 in the chamber, in the gun safe under my bed.

CountGlockula
May 10, 2007, 04:01 PM
Glock 35 with Surefire X200B under the bed in MiniVault. Easy access via finger combo. Gun is unloaded, but fully loaded magazine is in dresser drawer right next to me.

SSN Vet
May 10, 2007, 04:07 PM
Home defense "long" gun is a 6-1/2" .357 mag. loaded with HydraShocks in double decker Gunvault with speed loader next to it.

9mm CCW piece, when not on my side, is right below it.

skud_dusty
May 10, 2007, 04:21 PM
Currently I just keep 2 handguns for HD, my 870 is too long to be easily mobile through the house.

Both handguns are very close to me loaded with an empty chamber, safeties off. Both loaded with JHP, .45 is Speer, 9mm is Hornady.

bruss01
May 10, 2007, 04:21 PM
Our pistols are loaded, 1 in the chamber, decocked (the da/sa, anyway), kept in bedside table drawer. Extra mags kept full and stored with.

Long gun (m 590) full tube with TAP 00 buck, chamber empty, safety off, standing up in the corner.

No children on premises, if any guests turned up with kids the firearms would be secured under lock and key for the durration.

dtalley
May 10, 2007, 04:27 PM
One pistol loaded (including one in the chamber) on the night stand next to the alarm clock. Safe/RSC within 6 feet with several loaded including shotgun and AR

eric.cartman
May 10, 2007, 05:06 PM
H&K P2000, 12+1 .40S&W Federal Hydrashok, yes, one in the chamber, plus one extra mag. All in a night stand's drawer. So out of sight, but ready to rumble :evil:

Mac45
May 10, 2007, 05:39 PM
Electronic lock box bolted to the closet floor.
No kids of my own, but LOTS of kids in the family, so loaded under the bed is out

Zen21Tao
May 10, 2007, 05:44 PM
...with 2 clips ready to bust hyrdashocks

Your gun wouldn't happen to be a porcelain Glock 7 with 'dah switch' would it? :D

Notch
May 10, 2007, 06:45 PM
If I am awake I have a holster on. When in bed I have two "floaters". Handguns that are between the sheets so to speak. This is my thinking... I have a good burg alarm on the house and I am a light sleeper so chances are that if someone is in the house I am going to be awake, but, if by chance we end up in a sitch where a BG is standing over my bed, and he has not just cracked my head open as I sleep, it will be alot easier and much less conspicuous for me to get my hands around a pistol that is under the covers around my legs ( a natural place to put your hands as you are getting out of bed) than it would be for me to go for something under the pillow or behind the night stand or the like... In the safe are 4 loaded mags. Two for the AR15 and two for the AR18. There is also a loaded .357 wheelgun in the safe as well.

rangermonroe
May 10, 2007, 06:52 PM
PS-90 by the bed, 50 rounds. None in the chamber as I have small kids.

2 40 cal handguns in the sock drawer of my dresser. loaded mag, empty chamber.

1 357 Sig in the car, loaded mag, MT chamber.

Most of everthing else is in the safe. Except the 44 Mag in the garage.

Eyesac
May 10, 2007, 06:52 PM
Loaded up and on my hip unless I'm asleep, then it's on the nightstand.

Nomad, 2nd
May 10, 2007, 07:05 PM
Ok, I get home, go inside the house bringing the AK from the car.

Now I'm ready for bed. The 1911 goes from the holster onto the night stand and the AK goes next to the bed.

I go to sleep.

If I get up at night and take more than a couple steps away from the bed... the 1911 goes with me.

Not concious thought at this point. It's just something I do, like tying my shoes.

Edited to add: Notch, you have a AR18? As in the FA version of the AR180?
Tell us about it...

ripcurlksm
May 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
ok i'll keep mine loaded and ready to go at all times then. Thanks!

kgod, do what you feel comfortable with or what you feel is appropriate. I respect people for keeping their weapons cocked and locked (ie- one in the chamber, hammer back and saftey on) or the others that keep the magazine out.

Me personally, I am not not "overly" concerned with home invasion so I do not store my weapons with one in the pipe. I do insert a full magazine, uncocked and on an empty chamber. I consider myself "readily prepared" instead of "in waiting" :neener: In my opinion, if I can get to my weapon in 5 seconds, I will have time to cock it...I'd rather have that extra half-second to cock it in the event of an emergency than to ALWAYS have a weapon next to me with a hot pipe.

So I keep mine in the night stand, magazine in, empty chamber. If there was a good reason I would have no problem keeping it cocked and locked. The same goes for my shotgun in the closet - its fully loaded all I need to do is cycle the action and its hot. This is my personal preference and my comfort level which I feel is appropriate. Children are not present at my apt.

In my opinion because there are no children at your residence, You might want to try first magazine in, on an empty pipe before you go fully cocked and locked. Do this ONLY if you feel comfortable with your weapon and how it operates.

Sniper4Life
May 10, 2007, 07:18 PM
These go in the order of use, btw all guns are filled to max capacity

12ga - slugs or buckshot safety off, none in the chamber
.308 - 147fmjbt safety off, none in the chamber
.22 - federal, safety off, none in the chamber
Compound bow - big bad broadheads - five arrows
And last but not least, a semi custom k-bar

Bring em on!

RCouch
May 10, 2007, 07:19 PM
S&W .357 with .38 spl. in it in the night stand; BHP, loaded in a table drawer near the front door and KelTec P3AT loaded on a shelf over my computer desk.

tanksoldier
May 10, 2007, 07:29 PM

Right now i have mine in a case in the closet with 2 clips ready to bust hyrdashocks. The guns are unloaded, none in the chamber, no magazine inserted. High in the closet, we have no small children.

I would respectfully suggest that the manner in which you store your firearms is NOT useful for home defense. Your choice, but there are many scenarios where you will not have time to retrieve, uncase, load and ready a firearm in a home defense scenario.

My current carry gun is a 9mm Sig P225. If my pants are on, it's on my belt. If my pants are off I'm in bed, and the gun is on the nightstand. I also keep two .357 revolvers hidden in the off chance I'm up and about without my sidearm.

Even for those with small children in the house, storing a firearm in the manner the OP describes is not the best option. Put weapons not intended for immediate home defense use in a locking safe or cabinet, yes. Put the weapon intended for HD on your belt, or in a quick-access style pistol safe on your nightstand.

A HD firearm does you and your family no good whatsoever if the badguy gets to you before you can ready the firearm.

possum
May 10, 2007, 07:31 PM
i have my 870 loaded and ready to rock with one in the chamber and on safe, up high in the closet away from the little one's reach. the hd handgun is locked and loaded and on the night stand, and the carry gun is locked and loaded and in my top dresser drawer!

longtooth
May 10, 2007, 07:38 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 24-7 & that means right now I type w/ my T85 in a Miami Classic.
I will go to the gun room shortly to load some. At night it goes on the stand by my bed. In the morning when my pants go on so does the pistol. Springer is primary. T85 is second choice.

romma
May 10, 2007, 07:48 PM
Every now and then I go to conditon white to risk,,, a shower... LOL

deck52
May 10, 2007, 08:18 PM
Glock 17 with 17 round magazine with one round chambered and another full 17 round magazine locked in a quick access lock box (www.gunvault.com) on top of chest of drawers that is one step from my bed.

vtoddball
May 10, 2007, 08:39 PM
357 Revolver and XD .45 on my side, my wife's J-frame S&W on her side. Flashlight on the headboard, shovel and lime on the back porch. ;)

sadhvacman
May 10, 2007, 09:01 PM
I've always thought this is the coolest thing, my father-in-law has a stainless marlin 44 lever action 336 I believe. Loaded to the gills and hung directly over his bedroom door. the funny thing is that when you walk in his bedroom, you never notice it. It's in the perfect spot to grab on his way out of his room. been begging my wife for a year now to let me do the same thing. once I get her consent I'll have to go get a new marlin. What a drag. but I'll settle for a model 94 if I have to.

theken206
May 10, 2007, 09:01 PM
WASR GP-10 with two loaded{mag clamp} 30 rounders with 27 rounds with one in the pipe.

skeeter1
May 10, 2007, 09:15 PM
Nine of them empty and locked in the safe. One .38Spl +P loaded and kept close to the bed. No children here, and I doubt one of the cats could fire it.

obxned
May 10, 2007, 09:39 PM
I keep one loaded pistol handy, all others are unloaded. I have a 12g unloaded with 5 rounds of 00 buck in a sleeve on the stock. I have two large, loud, and alert dogs as my alarm system and first response team.

arokcrwlr
May 10, 2007, 10:29 PM
Glock 17 in the truck, loaded, none in chamber. 1911 in nightstand locked and loaded. 12ga shotgun in shop loaded one in chamber - 00buck. The rest of the arsenal in the safe with a couple of ar15 30rnd clips loaded and ready to go.

Glockman17366
May 10, 2007, 10:46 PM
7 shot revolver on the night stand...12 gauge about 7' away.
Revolver is fully loaded, shottie has 5 rounds in the tube, chamber empty, safety off.
I guess I'm ready...especially with a very lovable, but very noisey dog sleeping very close

CypherNinja
May 10, 2007, 11:02 PM
My Kel-Tec lives in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster either in the safe or in my pocket. Right now it's loaded with .380 WWB BEB ammo until I find some Corbon DPX.

The CZ75 lives on the top shelf of the safe next to a loaded mag and the Garand is standing in the bottom of the safe next to an open tin of Greek bandoleers.

Everything else is just chillin. :D

CapnBald
May 10, 2007, 11:41 PM
If I have my pants on I have my Delta on my belt. At night it's about 2 feet away. In my night stand I have a .357, and a .32 auto, every thing loaded and ready to go, always one in the pipe. If things got real bad I guess I could get my sons G21 that's there too but I kinda hate to touch the ugly thing. Just keeping it for him while he's out of state. Every thing is locked up if my Grandson is here except for my carry gun. No other kids ever here.

Jeff F
May 10, 2007, 11:48 PM
I can't remember if I have any that are not loaded. All except for a shotgun and a sidearm are locked in the safe.

Kacerdias
May 10, 2007, 11:58 PM
I've got a DAC SportSafe bolted to the nightstand with a cocked/locked CZ75B in .40 and my Walther P99c AS in 9mm - both with an extra mag. Should anything happen, the CZ and Surefire come with me to investigate while my wife stays put with a Maglight and my carry pistol (Walther, extremely easy to use) should someone get past me and the locked bedroom door. She dials the cops while I keep any invaders at bay. It's a good system that thankfully hasn't needed to be put into action.

sm
May 11, 2007, 12:09 AM
CCW on person.

One of the spare mags is being used for a bookmark at the moment...

Single Shot 20 ga shotgun loaded with slugs - handy.
When away, I ain't saying.

Everything else is off site.

Now sometimes, like at the moment, I happen to have two bone stock 1911s with 15 or 20 mags magazines loaded with hardball, two Model 36's with I forget much ammo and speedloaders, sitting in a backpack.
The duffel bag next to it has Two 20 gauge pump guns in it, with ~ 100 slugs.

These are exact duplicates of two more 1911s , model 36's and 20 ga pump guns for a lady.
Redundant set of 4 exact of same.

She travels in her work, one of each travels with her, one set at home and the other two off site.
I have these as they were just gone through, cleaned and inspected.
About midnight or so I will meet her, and toss in her car.

FerFAL
May 11, 2007, 12:09 AM
Loaded Glock 31, Bersa 9mm or Hi Power 9mm. Sometimes next to the bed, hidden under a pillow.
Anyone else has a wife that puts like 12 pillows and cushions of al sizes on the bed? Well, found a use for one; conceal my piece right next to me, along with a Surefire. A body armor vest and other weapons are also near by, in a locker I open before I go to bed, I lock it first thing in the morning when I wake up and carry the key around the neck all day.

FerFAL

ripcurlksm
May 11, 2007, 01:19 AM
sm said:
Now sometimes, like at the moment, I happen to have two bone stock 1911s with 15 or 20 mags magazines loaded with hardball

sm, you have helped me a lot on this forum and you always have great things to say. You said 15+ loaded mags at the ready, are you a LEO or the like where your job requires it or you just being prepared in case? Please excuse me if I am being rude, but a lot of folks seem to be to the point of paranoia... like the thread 6 months ago titled "Gun In The Shower".

In my book you can have as many mags as you like (at any capacity ;) ) but at first read it just makes me think maybe my 3 mags are not going to cut it vs. your 15.

Respectfully,

sm
May 11, 2007, 01:49 AM
LEO,
Not hardly. :p

Read the post again, these guns belong to a lady.

She has I guess 50 or 60 mags for 1911s. She has her carry mags, and when she goes to a range not uncommon to shoot already loaded up mags.

1911Tuner has shared he goes out and shoots already loaded up mags. IIRC I think he posted going to the range with 50 often.

I have gone out and done this, so do a lot of competition folks, for regular practice sessions.

15 mags times 7 rounds each is only 105 rounds. Quality range practice, even if she only shoots 10 of these mags, heck maybe even only half the mags she has loaded up.

4rounds of skeet is only 100 rds. If one shoots all 4 gauges, that is 400. Add the doubles event - another 100, add a special pump gun event ,another 100.
No big deal to shoot this in 3 days. Add any practice rounds, or shoot offs.

She and I like others , prefer slugs for serious use.
So no biggie to shoot quality practice with slugs.

Some folks are shooters, some just happen to have guns- there is a difference.
:)

ripcurlksm
May 11, 2007, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the details sm...

Gotta love skeet... still workin on my trap game. Its nice to move away from target shooting from time to time.

I have some clear 12ga 00 buck shot and I was looking at it closely one day at the size of the shot and thought... this is not big enough. :evil: Slugs are where its at and I love target shooting with them... its so darn accurate (from 25 yards at my indoor range :cool: ) that I cant stop laughing and lose my concentration when I put 5 gaping slug holes into the head of a silhouette paper target with my Franchi I-12. :what:

Always nice to chat with ya sm.

Big Calhoun
May 11, 2007, 09:42 AM
For HD, at the moment... A Beretta in a shoulder holster that hangs on the bed post and a case with lock that holds two other firearms and sits under the bed.

Notch
May 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
Edited to add: Notch, you have a AR18? As in the FA version of the AR180?
Tell us about it...

Yupper... It is a AR 18 Costa Mesa. I love it. In Minnesota it is ( I believe ) the most modern MG we can own being a CnR MG only state. The internals are a dream. I can put 1K rounds through her and when ya open it up ya just wouldnt think it had just done so. A much cleaner system than my AR15 ( which I love too). It is a blast to shoot as well! My other MG is a .45 suby (Reising) so the AR pushes ya around a little more which to me is a great thing. It just feels great against the shoulder, I'm not talking punishing in any way ( after all it is a .223) but you know you are firing a machine gun. It has a Costa Mesa brake on it that REALLY keeps the muzzle down, I was impressed with the job it does. The folding stock is great too, makes it sooo easy to store or transport, I actualy have a padded tennis raquet (sp?) case that it fits in although I prefer a hard sided case most of the time. If you have a chance to do so I suggest getting one!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Notch_2003/flash3.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Notch_2003/flash2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Notch_2003/AR18_folded.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Notch_2003/AR18_side.jpg

scurtis_34471
May 11, 2007, 11:04 AM
My loaded and chambered handgun is on my person most of the day. When I go to bed, it goes into my bedside drawer. When I get up in the morning, it goes into a locking steel strongbox until I get dressed. I have children, so its always in the lock box or on my person except while I'm sleeping at night.

Werewolf
May 11, 2007, 12:39 PM
Right now i have mine in a case in the closet with 2 clips ready to bust hyrdashocks. The guns are unloaded, none in the chamber, no magazine inserted. High in the closet, we have no small children.Why even bother then... :confused:

In the event of a real home invasion (or other HD situation) by the time you got to that gun you'd either be dead or tied up on the floor watching the armed home invaders gettin' busy doing armed home invader things; hopefully just to your stuff and not to you and yours. :eek:

In other words those guns stored as described will not ever be used for home defense and with no children I have to ask why stash your weapon so far out of reach? :confused:

Put it where you can get at it. If you're concerned about guests then wear it on your person when you have guests over. When none are around wear it or keep it close at hand where you can get at it almost immediately. :D

If you're gonna stash your HD weapon where you cannot get at it almost immediately when you need it then you might as well not have it. At least don't delude yourself into imagining that you will use it for HD.

RNB65
May 11, 2007, 12:45 PM
I have no kids to worry about, so I keep my primary HD gun loaded, chambered, and in a kydex holster on the floor next to the bed. Next to it are a flashlight and a spare magazine.

kellyj00
May 11, 2007, 12:49 PM
also notable... keep your first aide kit up to snuff and always know where it is!

There's been more than one occasion where I've massively cut myself on something or ran a nail through my foot and just kinda dripped until I could find the gauze.

Also, keep needle and polymer thread on hand. It costs just over a thousand bucks to visit the ER on a weekend in my parts. Two stitches...that's over $500 a stitch!

Ari
May 11, 2007, 02:20 PM
On papa bears side
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s179/aristotle133/gun/bed01.jpg

Momma bears...
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s179/aristotle133/gun/bed02.jpg

There's gonna be alot of slow singing and flower brining if my burglar alarm starts ringing. I'm in the camp that says a locked up gun in a controlled home with no children used for Home defense is useless. I have 3 safeties, one on either hand and between my shoulders.

Here's my story. In my younger years I shared an apartment with my room mate. When I hear the door open. I think it's my room mate and think nothing of it. About 5 minutes later I hear the door bell. It's late and I thought my room mate just got in and is up and I can hear him in the living room so I wait for him to answer. After a few minutes I hear the door pounding. Ticked off I finally get up, open my bedroom door surprised to see all the lights were out, but I answer the door. It was our neighbor Linda, she explains someone just tried to force his way into her apartment, and she watches him run into MY apartment. Stupid me, we always used to leave our doors unlocked because we were in a secured building and I've locked myself out a few times going to friends apartments in the same building. So we go back in and turn on the lights, and sure enough, some guy high on meth is in my living room and rushes me and my neighbor, we scramble and get out of the way, and my shotgun is useless locked up in my closet, unloaded, I'm desperate and have never been so scared in my life throwing anything I can at him while being chased around in circles through my kitchen and living room. After being chased around, and my neighbor screaming at the top of her lungs "HELLLP" he finally runs out of my apartment and is aprehended downstairs by the police my neighbor called before she knocked on my door. He was found with a big knife and they have to taze him to control him. He was a big guy.

From that day forward, I will never keep my firearm locked up and unloaded. Had my neighbor not knocked on my door, I would have been another statistic. He was wanted on kidnapping, robbery and drug charges. I even had to testify against him in Superior court.

the lone gunman
May 11, 2007, 03:58 PM
1911 45acp cocked and locked , one in the pipe, beside my bed. no kids in the house , just my wife and I, She has a taurus #85 38 special ready to go on her side of the bed.

K5mitch
May 11, 2007, 04:29 PM
1911 condition one, either on my hip, or on a table/nightstand right next to me. Benelli nova, condition one with a full tube of 00, 2 00 and 3 slugs on the stock.

The bad (or good?) thing about my situation is I work 3rd shift. I'm up all night, but I sleep like a rock during the day. The only thing that will wake me up is the alarm clock I've had for 18 years :o

BBQJOE
May 11, 2007, 04:42 PM
Pants on, 9mm (hydra shock) on side, condition one.
Pants off, my side: 9mm, HS 44 mag HS
Her side: 38 spl HS

After reading this thread, I may move my shotgun into the house.

The Deer Hunter
May 11, 2007, 04:52 PM
I keep the 870 in the corner next to my bed.

I keep it simple.

scurtis_34471
May 11, 2007, 04:55 PM
The need to balance the safety of a toddler with the ability to have the gun when I need it is why I carry in the house most of the time. When the kids are in bed and I'm in bed, I feel ok about putting my gun in the bedside drawer. Other than that, its in the lockbox.

I don't worry about my 9 year-old. She knows the Four Rules cold and follows them very well. She also knows I'll kick her butt if she ever messes with a gun without supervision and its a complete non-issue because we go shooting together several times a month. Its the 2 year-old I worry about. She is almost old enough for me to start teaching her about gun safety (never touch a gun, get an adult, etc), but not quite. I'm not taking any chances and I don't think there is any good reason to take chances.

scout26
May 12, 2007, 12:17 AM
I have a 13 year old and and 6 year old. They, I don't worry about they know the Four Rules and Eddie the Eagle, they also get to shoot alot at our club so there is no mystery about guns. It's their friends that I worry about, so all the guns are kept in the safe in the master bedroom closet, one dedicated HD shotgun is kept cruiser ready. All the other firearms are unloaded but have a "basic load" that is also kept in the same safe. (All other loaded ammo is securely stored elsewhere in the house.)

The killer attack beagle is the alarm system. NOTHING breathing comes within 200 feet of the house without him howling and letting everyone within 2 miles know, or as Mrs Scout says, "How can that much %#@#$*&#*! noise come from that a dog that small ???"

Yes, Mrs Scout can make a sailor blush when she's good and mad.

M2 Carbine
May 12, 2007, 12:32 AM
No kids and no visitors that aren't gun savy, so when I'm home and that's most all the time, there's several loaded guns within reach no matter where I am.:)

FireArmFan
May 12, 2007, 03:34 AM
anyone knows of any websites that sell those attach onto the bed holsters? I don't really have a nightstand or anything next to my bed to put a pistol on and i dont want to keep one under my pillow or anything like that. I'm thinking of buying a small nightstand but if there is a holster i could attach to the side of my bed that could be a good route too i think. I could always rig up a cheap owb holster to attach to my bed i guess.

PistolNewbie
May 12, 2007, 07:30 AM
They are each covered with an old sock and kept in carrying cases. I'm extrmely anal when it comes to keeping my guns looking as new as possible. :barf: We live in the most boring neighborhood in this city and since our buildings have security systems, I really don't feel compelled to keep one next to the bed at this time. I hope it stays that way. :D

Lupinus
May 12, 2007, 08:38 AM
Winny 94 loaded with silvertips incase the werewolves attack. Noooo its not optimal but the house is nice thick brick as are the surrounding houses and theres about a 75% chance that the direction a bullet would travel is out to open pasture for a comfertable distance. Not optimal but at the moment its doing the best I can do with what I got.

Rem700SD
May 12, 2007, 09:35 AM
Glock 19 loaded/chambered w/taclight and spare flashlight in the nightstand. Everything else in the gunsafe. If I'm in a firefight that lasts more than 45 rds, it's time to exit the building. My house is neither bulletproof nor fireproof.

Geno
May 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
Fully loaded, and ready repel any and all illegal entries. Usually I have my Warrior and Bushmaster at the bed's edge. It makes little sense for me to post pictures of proper shotgun or AR presentation for defensive purposes. Pistol, that's a different matter. Some homeowners place their pistol on, or worse, in the nightstand. For me, that is awkward at best.

I prefer to have my pistol at-the-ready, as if someone were handing it to me. Therefore, I submit the following pictures and the corresponding captions detailing why the example is good or bad:

Example #1: Very Bad Set-up. The pistol is inaccessible at best. Worse yet, the pistol is likely to entangle in the sheet upon extraction:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/HPIM4004.jpg

Example #2: Better, But Still a Bad Set-up. The pistol still is not immediately accessible. Because the sheet is bunched, not rolled, the pistol remains likely to entangle in the sheet upon extraction:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/HPIM4007.jpg

Example #3: The best! Note that the sheet is rolled and tucked away. There is little possibility of the pistol entangling with the sheet on extraction:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/HPIM4005.jpg

davhina
May 12, 2007, 05:12 PM
Loaded and close at hand(no children in the house, just me and annie oakly{the wife}):D

ARI,
Nice pics, but you sleep on the wrong side of the bed:neener:

envonge
June 23, 2007, 11:52 PM
Glock 20 10mm with 165gr doubletap under pillow cocked and ready.

TCB in TN
June 24, 2007, 12:14 AM
Always at hand. I have teen children but they are well versed in firearm safety, and I have always felt that an unloaded gun was just an expensive, poorly designed club!

blo0dyhatchet
June 24, 2007, 12:18 AM
I have a ruger .45, it rides in the passenger seat to and from where ever. At night, its in my night stand. Around the house, in a holster on my side. Its always 8+1 decocked.

glockman19
June 24, 2007, 12:22 AM

Loaded and within arms reach.

OpFlash
June 24, 2007, 12:23 AM
G23 loaded and chambered is on me or nearby and resides on nightstand at night (I live alone) and a loaded 1911 with extra mag in an electronic combination pistol safe on shelf in nightstand. Also a few long guns with loaded mags in a locked cabinet.

MrTwigg
June 24, 2007, 12:28 AM
Nearby. ;)

MudPuppy
June 24, 2007, 12:31 AM
Mine are unloaded in the locked safe, loaded mags in the nearby lockbox (in accordance with my local/state laws).

My dog, however, is loaded and doesn't have a safety. If I have a home invasion, I don't think he's going to share.

HerrWolfe
June 24, 2007, 12:36 AM
Handy, several of them. I can just see the words on a perp's face......"....o-o-o-o-oh c-r-******

wolfman01
June 24, 2007, 12:46 AM
Shottie by the bed, loaded and ready to chamber a round. The glock follows me around as much as the law allows, since I have no CHL yet, and is also kept by the bed at night - also loaded. CHL is next on my iteneary, and plans are to take the class in the next few months.

Cannonball888
June 24, 2007, 08:08 AM
Militarily speaking, my gun is in my pants!
This is my weapon
This is my gun
One is for shooting
The other's for fun ;)

An SA 1911 LW Champion Operator w/CT grips and a Surefire-clone torch in the nightstand. An M4 A2, a Rem 11-87, and a scoped M1903 in the armoir 5 feet away. All loaded.

Kentak
June 24, 2007, 08:16 AM
Loaded in a electronic button-combo type steel box close to the bed. Can be accessed in seconds.

K

Mongo the Mutterer
June 24, 2007, 08:35 AM
Either on me (17/7), or next to the bed, or in the electronic combination safe. All different handguns all locked and loaded. 642,G19, many others in the above order.

Chuck R.
June 24, 2007, 09:13 AM
I have two guns I keep ready for HD, a Benelli M1S90 and a SIG 220ST, both have mounted lights, and both are kept loaded with loaded chambers.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/CFRHunter/X-Mas060958.jpg

I have a V-Line gun case for the SIG in my nightstand and a V-line Long-gun case under my bed for the Benelli. I've set the Simplex combos the same.

Chuck

PAPACHUCK
June 24, 2007, 04:44 PM

Well fed! :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you keep your gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!